AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-08-19, 17:12   Link #1
SpartenOmega117
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Would Funimation ever release older series on blu ray?

Series such as the original FMA were only released on DVD. Do uoi think funimation will ever release them on blu ray like they did the movie?
SpartenOmega117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 17:50   Link #2
solomon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Suburban DC
Maybe but only REALLY BIG TITLES. Otherwise forget it.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 18:05   Link #3
SpartenOmega117
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Maybe but only REALLY BIG TITLES. Otherwise forget it.
What would be considered really big titles. Shouldn't FMA be a really big title
SpartenOmega117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 20:20   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I'm not counting on it happening at all... at least not til blu-ray becomes the norm rather than the exception.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 20:28   Link #5
Metropolisforever
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wouldn't YOU like to know.
FUNimation is a greedy corporate machine. They will release whatever makes the most money.
__________________
Who needs reality when you can always have your dreams?
Metropolisforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 22:16   Link #6
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartenOmega117 View Post
Series such as the original FMA were only released on DVD. Do uoi think funimation will ever release them on blu ray like they did the movie?
Depends if they can get the rights and if they figure it's worth it being it is SD content and would be an upscale.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 22:30   Link #7
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lost in the Fairy Forest
I think they will if it can make them more cash out if it
__________________
Master_Yoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 22:46   Link #8
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Depends if they can get the rights and if they figure it's worth it being it is SD content and would be an upscale.
Hasn't Funimation released a number of SD upscale Blurays already though? Pretty sure I've heard this regarding the first season of Gunslinger Girl, at least.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 10:27   Link #9
Zeroryoko1974
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
They will probably do it after the finish releasing FMA Brotherhood
__________________
Zeroryoko1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 10:41   Link #10
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
I don't think they will do the first FMA series because of Brotherhood, but older series they may. They just did it with Full Metal Panic. The only question is the quality. Claymore DVD is better than the BD.

I'd prefer them put real effort into their work instead of spitting out crappy upscales.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 23:31   Link #11
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I don't think they will do the first FMA series because of Brotherhood, but older series they may. They just did it with Full Metal Panic. The only question is the quality. Claymore DVD is better than the BD.

I'd prefer them put real effort into their work instead of spitting out crappy upscales.
Drago, do you know where I can find information about the quality of Funimation's Blurays? That info is pretty easy to find for Japanese blurays simply because groups ripping the discs talk about the quality, but I've never found a good source for such information concerning American discs.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 12:53   Link #12
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Drago, do you know where I can find information about the quality of Funimation's Blurays? That info is pretty easy to find for Japanese blurays simply because groups ripping the discs talk about the quality, but I've never found a good source for such information concerning American discs.
Well, I know general info about video so I know the limitations of the upscaling. Unless they do it from the very beginning, which is like doing it over, chances are it'll stink. My initial info on Claymore came from Amazon, check out the pictures and the reviews. But Blu-ray.com is a good source for info on a ton of BD movies, they even have a review for Claymore.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 14:40   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
When it comes to older, "standard definition" shows, I don't see any purpose of putting them on Blu-ray other than to reduce the number of discs. I don't want an upscaled version of an SD show created for me. If I want to upscale, I'll use the algorithms in my TV or PS/3 for that.

However I would prefer the option of buying complete series on a single BD rather than as a box of DVDs.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 14:42   Link #14
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
When it comes to older, "standard definition" shows, I don't see any purpose of putting them on Blu-ray other than to reduce the number of discs. I don't want an upscaled version of an SD show created for me. If I want to upscale, I'll use the algorithms in my TV or PS/3 for that.

However I would prefer the option of buying complete series on a single BD rather than as a box of DVDs.
I've actually been wondering about that. Is it possible to put 480i/p video on a BD? I am having no luck googling it.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 14:51   Link #15
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I've actually been wondering about that. Is it possible to put 480i/p video on a BD? I am having no luck googling it.
Yes, it's in the spec. You can put in pretty much any video type that's allowed on DVD on a blu-ray. Many special features on blu-rays are only in 480i.

Sony might have issues if you try and put out a blu-ray that isn't at least 720p for the main feature though, as it would dilute the brand image of blu-ray as "HD".
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-22, 10:13   Link #16
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Yes, it's in the spec. You can put in pretty much any video type that's allowed on DVD on a blu-ray. Many special features on blu-rays are only in 480i.

Sony might have issues if you try and put out a blu-ray that isn't at least 720p for the main feature though, as it would dilute the brand image of blu-ray as "HD".
I don't care about Sony. You could fit so many 480i/p episodes on a BD. It would be so awesome if they did that.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 00:08   Link #17
Zalis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 33
I'd rather they released really old shows that were done on cels, preferably ones that got new HD transfers in Japan first. Like YuYuHakusho, Blue Gender(?), DBZ, that kind of thing. Although DBZ Kai kinda covers that last one. From reviews I've read, their accomplishments with upscales of SD digital materials are a mixed bag, with some (like Ouran) being good, and some (like Samurai Champloo) being worse than DVD. Some BD releases of titles they picked up from ADV would be nice too, like Air, Kanon, and Utawarerumono. Granted, some/all of those are SD, but they got BD releases in Japan. It's hard enough competing with free, but even harder when that "free" means "rips from Japanese Blu-Rays" and all you have is DVD.
Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.