AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-08-29, 08:01   Link #201
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
hahah love the marco hair on that pic

too bad Nami looks like a man heh

This month will be a very long wait...
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 10:25   Link #202
game2007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Usopp is under the same conditions Luffy is under. He is probably in a more hostile environment . Usopp's master is probably a master of armor haki and mantra, as he has survived on the island without much of a scratch. Heracles can predict when the Island is about to feed. Heracles can fend off enormous beasts and knock them out. Usopp will need to learn how to predict the living islands' current disposition and be able feel if he is being stalked. He will also have to find a way to pierce their thick hides with his ammo and weapons. It is highly likely he will have to defeat the Island in order to get off of it. If he doesn't learn Haki, he won't get off the island, this is how much is implied. Given Usopp's original fighting style, he is heavily reliant on ranged attacks and his ammo. He's also more likely to take a punch than to dodge. Rayleigh reminds us readers of the Kuja arrows. Usopp will need to infuse his bullets with this power in order to be of any use and to get off the island he is on. He will favor armor haki, most likely.

Sanji is learning Okama kempo. Although, Ivankov's death wink could be extention of his aura (armor haki), he seems to favor Mantra as he seems better at dodging attacks, reading his opponents' weaknesses than actually taking a hit. Ivankov's aura haki wasn't good enough to completely make him invulnerable to the effects of Magellan's poison but he seemed highly resistant. So, even though Okama kempo can lead to one being highly skilled at armor/aura haki, it seems like the fighting style focuses on Mantra and building it at to an extremely high level.

Zoro is learning from one of the greatest swordsmen alive. His fighting style will require he favors neither aura haki or mantra. He will have to extend his aura to his blades. He will have to make his aura tough enough to withstand an opponents blade. He will have to be able to read the intent of his opponent and look for openings of attack. Also, Zoro has always been a fighter than can take a hit and dodge equally well.


Chopper, Franky, Brooke, Nami, and Robin seem to be under much friendlier and hospitable conditions but is possible they will at least gain some grasp of mantra, the most accessible of the three forms of haki.

Chopper is on an island with powerful birds and humans. The natives may have some moves up their sleeves. The library may contain some books about fighting. He may also pick up armor haki through his studies in other forms of medicine. Maybe he will pick up something like Chi Kung, learn to manipulate his aura in order to heal. He may hone his mantra skills by accident, in attempts to diagnose a patient faster.

Franky is locked up in a lab. He may pick up some mantra by reading the cyborg animals around him or maybe he will give himself implants that give him powers mimicking those of haki. Vegapunk's research delved into such things. He could infuse weapons with devil fruit powers. The goal of the Pacifista project seem to be the creation of an artificial construct capable of subduing powerful devil fruit eaters and haki masters as those found in pirate and revolutionary forces.

Robin is going to meet with Dragon. Nothing is implied beyond her joining the revolutionaries in some fashion. No idea if Dragon will take her in as a pupil. May pick up some moves from other revolutionaries or in their training facilities. She's always been good at "getting away."

Nami is on Weatheria. She may hone her Mantra skills. Weatheria may have a history with Skypiea as it is also a floating island. Rayleigh mentions that Mantra is the name for Skypiean name for this sort of haki phenomenon. Mantra may come in reading the climate of the planet.

Brooke, he'll pick up something.


Only Usopp, Sanji, Zoro, and Luffy are under tutelage of masters of combat and are training for actually combat. The others are training for other things, some without teachers but that doesn't mean they won't be able to pick up some moves.
Sanji already said that he is born a man and doesn't want to learn Okama Kenpo.
game2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 10:43   Link #203
noktown
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
He will probably master it in his own way not in a gay way ;o
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 10:58   Link #204
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Then Smoker has to learn how to use Haki. Didn't the doctor say to Coby, that a VA needs to know how to use Haki? Smoker obviously can't do it yet.

The doctor never said that being a Haki user was a requirement. He simply said that all VAs are able to utilize it. There IS a difference. Remember, it's still uncertain whether or not the current 3 admirals are Haki users themselves (they COULD be, but their Logia powers probably compensate for their inability to use it).




Anyway, going back to the Zoro situation, I'm actually reminded of how james0246 came up with the theory of him training under a master swordsman when the Sabaody arc was running a couple years back. I recall being skeptical of the idea for a while, but came to accept it over time (like around the time the Impel Down arc was running). Heh, it's funny that james' theory technically came true after all (though I think the master swordsman he had in mind was Mihawk's sensei or something).....



BTW, since Zoro's training under Mihawk, I hope this means that he'll finally improve his single-sword skills. That's pretty much the biggest drawback to his fighting style so far. In fact, I always imagined that Zoro's final battle would involve two of his swords getting broken/lost, forcing him to fight with the weapon that was left behind by his earliest rival......
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 11:24   Link #205
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Anyway, going back to the Zoro situation, I'm actually reminded of how james0246 came up with the theory of him training under a master swordsman when the Sabaody arc was running a couple years back. I recall being skeptical of the idea for a while, but came to accept it over time (like around the time the Impel Down arc was running). Heh, it's funny that james' theory technically came true after all (though I think the master swordsman he had in mind was Mihawk's sensei or something).....
I had completely forgotten about that. I do not recall whom I wished Zoro to study under (Fishman Swordmaster, Mihawk's sensei, Kenshin, etc), though...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 13:29   Link #206
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oda will be on a lengthy break after this chapter. There will be no new chapters of OP for the next four weeks, so don't expect any new chapters until around late September. I repeat: There will be no new chapter for the next four weeks.


Thank god I work 6 days/w, at least it will keep me occupied. I don't think I'd be able to handle this if I was still a NEET.

Four weeks without OP!!!
__________________
aliasxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 13:33   Link #207
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
The doctor never said that being a Haki user was a requirement. He simply said that all VAs are able to utilize it. There IS a difference. Remember, it's still uncertain whether or not the current 3 admirals are Haki users themselves (they COULD be, but their Logia powers probably compensate for their inability to use it).
While i don't think oda made it perfectly clear, i think there is enough to say they do all use haki, simply on the basis that it seems odd that ALL VAs use it and yet the admirals can not.

Recall when Whitebeard attacked the platform with his quake powers; the admirals blocked the attack and were seen just standing there with arms out stretched and the hands out. How did they block the attack? no real sign of their devil fruit being used... i believe the answer would be that they used their combined Haki to block the attack

Also recall when Vista cut into Akainu's neck... Akainu commenting that he was using Haki and yet the attack was not enough to negate his devil fruit to the point that it would do real damage. So why didn't vista's Haki work to allow him a solid hit? frankly i've been going with the theory that a logia user can counter haki with haki in order to help make sure his powers keep working as they are supposed to atleast to a limited extent.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 13:50   Link #208
Kallen4life
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
yes, pretty evident by now Admirals can use Haki and most likely having a strong enough armor haki of your own can allow to negate opponents haki attack, which would've otherwised dealt damage to your 'invulnerable' DF body

in the latter case BB's DF gets bonus points - it'll disable everything whether you like it or not (I assume haki can't allow to negate that effect .. it just deals or negates pure damage .. like an aura around the fist/weapon or your body), allowing him to blast you with a gun or give a quake to the face .. of course it requires keeping physical contact and I assume focus too (after WB slashed BB, the latter lost it and WB regained his quakes) .. still, the pros outweigh the cons and there's probably a reason BB said Yami Yami is considered the strongest DF .. with a logia body if you have a strong armor haki you can negate damage to yourself even from haki users (like Akainu from Vista) and it takes haki from the likes of WB to damage you .. and people with WB's haki - you can probably count them on one hand - Shanks, other Emperors, Rayleigh ? Luffy eventually
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 13:58   Link #209
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
When 2 fighters meet, their Haki clash, who ever gets damaged depends on the difference of the power of their Haki.

'Armour Haki' is what we're talking about in this case, if you smash 2 pieces of armour together, one made of steel, another made of bronze, the bronze armour will be dented because the steel is tougher.

Depending on how much will you put into your attacks and how much will your opponent has for defense, Haki will decide the outcome.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 16:13   Link #210
nicepace
The congueror Of The EAST
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
maybe we can see it as Armor Haki v mantra-haki in the fight between WB v Aokiji in the last war when WB try to attack/stabbing Aokiji with his spear+armor haki... Aokiji was aware enough because he use mantra-haki so he manage to survive/evading the attack... same thing goes to when the div commander attacking Akainu...

but for the armor haki v armor haki we clearly can feel it int the clash between WB and Shanks... though we didn't see it happen we did see it split the sky....
__________________
If you really want to be happy, nobody can stop you
nicepace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 17:22   Link #211
Kallen4life
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
maybe we can see it as Armor Haki v mantra-haki in the fight between WB v Aokiji in the last war when WB try to attack/stabbing Aokiji with his spear+armor haki... Aokiji was aware enough because he use mantra-haki so he manage to survive/evading the attack
maybe, good point .. or he just saw it with his eyes (WB isn't exceptionally fast, even though he can move when needed) and evaded by turning into ice particles

Quote:
same thing goes to when the div commander attacking Akainu...
Vista ? except he clearly made a good big slice in his lava body, but Akainu ignored it, even though it was haki-infused .. likely activated his own armor-haki
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 22:30   Link #212
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
After re-reading the Sabaody Isle arc, I honestly cannot express how much I am looking forward to the release of the next chapter.

The whole slavery/racism theme should finally be put to an end in the next 20 chapters or so when they re-unite at Sabaody. I expect the Fishman Island arc to tie in with the Tenryubito, and the Tenryubito theme should be finished before we get to the New world, or else it will feel like a loose end.

Quote:
Also recall when Vista cut into Akainu's neck... Akainu commenting that he was using Haki and yet the attack was not enough to negate his devil fruit to the point that it would do real damage. So why didn't vista's Haki work to allow him a solid hit? frankly i've been going with the theory that a logia user can counter haki with haki in order to help make sure his powers keep working as they are supposed to atleast to a limited extent.
Probably because Akainu is physically stronger (as an Admiral) then Vista, so his toughened skin could resist Vista's attacks, combined with the fact that he reinforced it with 'armor' haki.

Quote:
maybe we can see it as Armor Haki v mantra-haki in the fight between WB v Aokiji in the last war when WB try to attack/stabbing Aokiji with his spear+armor haki... Aokiji was aware enough because he use mantra-haki so he manage to survive/evading the attack
I think WB uses both types of haki at the same time, same with most high level characters.

Its not like you can only use one of the other...
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 23:15   Link #213
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
^The Tenryubito are descended from those who rule the world, so I expect the problem of these tyrannical monsters will not be solved until near the end of the series.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 23:36   Link #214
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
It would be delightfully random if, upon their return, the Straw Hats immediately ended up taking down the World Nobles again. That would just be the ultimate insult to the government if they could get away with that twice. What would make it even better, but I seriously doubt happening, is if they brought down the Admiral that got sent in to deal with them. Maybe if Smokey went up several ranks in the meantime. He's due for a loss to Luffy, so that might work out without sacrificing the top-tier Admirals we have now.
__________________
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 23:47   Link #215
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
I think we are all forgetting one key element of this time skip, in fact the main reason for the time skip: this gives Oda an excuses to give Keimi/Camie legs so she can join the crew. Mark my words that is the true reason for the time skip (all that "training" crap, and "getting stronger" could have been done in a week or under, but Keimi has to become 30 before she can get her legs, and she is clearly not 30 yet...).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 00:52   Link #216
trafalgarcito
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
actually that keimi theory makes perfect sense... sh lacks undersea power and women... and perhaps that star should come along...(of course NOT )
trafalgarcito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 01:04   Link #217
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
(all that "training" crap, and "getting stronger" could have been done in a week or under, but Keimi has to become 30 before she can get her legs, and she is clearly not 30 yet...).
She is also clearly not 28, so what is your point?
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 06:52   Link #218
randomlex
In the eye of the storm
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I still can't imagine how powerful will the Straw Hats be after 2 years of (hopefully) intense training. I mean, they've gone from unknown nobodies to being world famous (at least Luffy is) and fighting the top tiers in less than a year.

Unless Oda pulls a weird one and says that they've actually been on the Grand Line for 5 years, they should be able to take on Admirals when they reunite. With training from Rayleigh (who fought on equal terms with Kizaru), Mihawk (presumably one of the strongest swordsmen in the world), Dragon and Iva (top tier Revolutionaries), Vegapunk (not directly, but still counts) - the Straw Hats should be monsters when they come out of hiding.

How are the other Supernovas supposed to keep up with that? Law is chilling in the Grand Line, the others have charged without much thought into the New World - how are they going to become that much stronger?

As for the new Straw Hat - he/she will have to be just as strong, so it's not that far fetched to say it's going to be Jinbei (who may tag along to "enforce" the protection on his island), Boa or some other powerful figure.

Damn, this is going to be a long month - I might actually start watching the anime again (I stopped at episode 425, because I just can't wait a week for each episode, plus the Impel Down arc is my least favorite).
randomlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 07:44   Link #219
Hisoka??
Ultra noob
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlex View Post
I still can't imagine how powerful will the Straw Hats be after 2 years of (hopefully) intense training. I mean, they've gone from unknown nobodies to being world famous (at least Luffy is) and fighting the top tiers in less than a year.

Unless Oda pulls a weird one and says that they've actually been on the Grand Line for 5 years, they should be able to take on Admirals when they reunite. With training from Rayleigh (who fought on equal terms with Kizaru), Mihawk (presumably one of the strongest swordsmen in the world), Dragon and Iva (top tier Revolutionaries), Vegapunk (not directly, but still counts) - the Straw Hats should be monsters when they come out of hiding.

How are the other Supernovas supposed to keep up with that? Law is chilling in the Grand Line, the others have charged without much thought into the New World - how are they going to become that much stronger?

As for the new Straw Hat - he/she will have to be just as strong, so it's not that far fetched to say it's going to be Jinbei (who may tag along to "enforce" the protection on his island), Boa or some other powerful figure.

Damn, this is going to be a long month - I might actually start watching the anime again (I stopped at episode 425, because I just can't wait a week for each episode, plus the Impel Down arc is my least favorite).
I actually expect that the other super novas were introduced to show what would have happened to the SH if they had rushed in. i.e. some of them getting crushed and kill, some joining one of the youkons and some losing their guts and heading home.

I hope in the new world there will be more water/ship battles. For a manga about pirates, there has been little to no battles between ships or battles at sea.
Hisoka?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 13:41   Link #220
Rurik
Golden
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 9th Temple
Age: 35
Given, We are going to have a one month break, I have started to read the manga since the first chapter, to pick up those litle details I could had forgot or overlooked (like Raleygh appearing in a Buggy flashback way back in chapter 19).

Is nice, I guess we can over here , if our loving mod permits, go to memory lane as well, and bring up stuff that we saw in OP before that could have some impact after timeskip.
__________________
"when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.