AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-09-01, 04:40   Link #1
Samari
World's Greatest

Jailbreaking an iPod Touch.

Hey there. My girlfriend just got an iPod touch and we were thinking about jailbreaking it after hearing all the hype. But we're sort of confused as to which method to go with. She has an iPod touch running 3.1.3...on the latest model I'm guessing because she got it free with her purchased computer the other day.

We've tried the whole "jailbreakme.com" thing, but that just takes the device back to the Apple logo and does nothing. Does anyone have any insight as to what the easiest possible method to jailbreak? Explain this to me like I'm a four year old. Thanks.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 04:45   Link #2
Kudryavka

Try this: http://gizmodo.com/5530906/jailbreak...why-you-should
As a disclaimer, know that jailbreaking has a small chance of corrupting data or turning the Touch into a worthless paperweight, and Apple won't fix it, meaning you'll have to buy a new one if that event happens.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 05:22   Link #3
Samari
World's Greatest

Looks like it worked. I've also acquired the SNES emulator. But I'm having trouble getting the roms on the actual iPod Touch. Seems confusing. Anyone know the easiest path to do this? Feels like I'm so close to playing my favorite games as a kid. Thanks.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。

Last edited by Samari; 2010-09-01 at 05:40.
Old 2010-09-01, 06:11   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
The easiest way is to install OpenSSH and then use a sftp program to upload the files. When you install openssh, you may want to change your password.

The default username is root and password alpine. Use a ssh terminal to change it by using the command passwd. After changing it, use the new password to log into sftp.
Old 2010-09-01, 08:39   Link #5
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Looks like it worked. I've also acquired the SNES emulator. But I'm having trouble getting the roms on the actual iPod Touch. Seems confusing. Anyone know the easiest path to do this? Feels like I'm so close to playing my favorite games as a kid. Thanks.
Roms go into /private/var/root/Media/ROMs/SNES . And not all games work; a prime example is Star Fox and other games that ran on that 3D rendering chip, they are big no nos (on any emulator, really, they were already operating on delicate threads on the SNES itself).
Old 2010-09-01, 10:51   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Bricking an iOS device to the point of being unrecoverable is almost totally impossible. A firmware wipe/reset through iTunes will resurrect the device, bringing it back to factory defaults.

Android devices... on the other hand... specifically Motorola ones...
Old 2010-09-01, 15:26   Link #7
Samari
World's Greatest

This is definitely a mission. I'm so close and now I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm pretty much there. The only thing that is stopping me is the transferring of the SNES files to my iPod. It won't transfer from my download folder to the ROMS folder in the Ipod touch (using winsc). And I don't know why. I'm guessing SSH is running...and I have the autolock on never. Tried twice still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Okay it transferred...finally. But now I have to use ROCK and pay for it or something like that? WTF?

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。

Last edited by Samari; 2010-09-01 at 15:41.
Old 2010-09-01, 20:50   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
This is definitely a mission. I'm so close and now I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm pretty much there. The only thing that is stopping me is the transferring of the SNES files to my iPod. It won't transfer from my download folder to the ROMS folder in the Ipod touch (using winsc). And I don't know why. I'm guessing SSH is running...and I have the autolock on never. Tried twice still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Okay it transferred...finally. But now I have to use ROCK and pay for it or something like that? WTF?
Don't use Rock since it's a crappy package manager that adds bloat to the iPhone/iPod touch. The emulator can be bought from the Cydia Store for 6 dollars (from the home screen of Cydia or typing in SNES4iphone)... unless you want to get the program through other means. For that, you are on your own since it would be against the forum rules for me to do that.
Old 2010-09-01, 21:29   Link #9
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Don't use Rock since it's a crappy package manager that adds bloat to the iPhone/iPod touch. The emulator can be bought from the Cydia Store for 6 dollars (from the home screen of Cydia or typing in SNES4iphone)... unless you want to get the program through other means. For that, you are on your own since it would be against the forum rules for me to do that.
You have to buy the emulator? Pretty stupid, I thought it would be free like all other moral homebrew I've used. They have no right to sell, since they don't own whatever they used to make the emulator and don't have permission from Apple (or Nintendo) to sell it.

To Samari: I see no reason to just acquire it in other ways, they really don't deserve to make money off of this.
Old 2010-09-01, 21:44   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
You have to buy the emulator? Pretty stupid, I thought it would be free like all other moral homebrew I've used. They have no right to sell, since they don't own whatever they used to make the emulator and don't have permission from Apple (or Nintendo) to sell it.

To Samari: I see no reason to just acquire it in other ways, they really don't deserve to make money off of this.
I know it doesn't seem right, but it's the developers fault... I wouldn't mind if it the program wasn't an emulator, but clearly the emulator they are selling have derivative works.

Maybe someone should port one of the existing open source emulators like SNES9X to the iPhone/Android.
Old 2010-09-02, 00:58   Link #11
Samari
World's Greatest

EDIT: Nevermind.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。