AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-02, 14:01   Link #201
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
How do you "cover" a skyscraper-sized giant from an attack beyond your range? They couldn't have stopped Kuma.
__________________
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 14:10   Link #202
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
^even if you say no one COULD stop Kuma, it's poor writing that know one TRIED
I mean, sure it was impossible for brooke and ussop to save Zoro from Kizaru, but the good thing was that they atleast tried to do it
beyond their range? last i checked a gun or canon should easily be able to get from one side of the battlefield to the other... range is not a issue as long as they have guns and canons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihawkXGP View Post
I just wonder where the hell the pirates were while this was happening. They were supposed to cover Oars, yet Kuma was given plenty of time to pull off that Ursus Shock attack..
Ah yes, the other problem with drawing out attacks... it makes you wonder, "what the hell is everyone doing while this is happening"... In the case of Kuma, there are plenty of New World captains and Whitebeard commanders on the field... in the time it took Kuma to fire off that attack it seems a tad off that none of them could have taken a shot at him... hell Whitebeard himself probably could have hit Kuma with a quake... you don't get this in the manga; in the manga the attacks came very fast showing no chance to really stop them

frankly it would have been a lot nicer to see someone charge in and try to take a shot at kuma, only for one of the VA's to stop the attack and protect him so that he could attack oars...
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 14:14   Link #203
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
^even if you say no one COULD stop Kuma, it's poor writing that know one TRIED
I mean, sure it was impossible for brooke and ussop to save Zoro from Kizaru, but the good thing was that they atleast tried to do it
They had the advantage of being five feet away, not trapped in a bay behind a giant wall, behind rows and rows of troops shooting at an elevated target who is likely so far away that you'd need a sniper to hit him. Context is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Ah yes, the other problem with drawing out attacks... it makes you wonder, "what the hell is everyone doing while this is happening"... In the case of Kuma, there are plenty of New World captains and Whitebeard commanders on the field... in the time it took Kuma to fire off that attack it seems a tad off that none of them could have taken a shot at him... hell Whitebeard himself probably could have hit Kuma with a quake... you don't get this in the manga; in the manga the attacks came very fast showing no chance to really stop them

frankly it would have been a lot nicer to see someone charge in and try to take a shot at kuma, only for one of the VA's to stop the attack and protect him so that he could attack oars...
Again, giant wall, rows of troops, elevated platform, extreme distance. There's a reason no one tried to stop him in the manga. They couldn't. Whitebeard's quake powers aren't a beam, so all he could do is shake the field up, and that takes time to do.
__________________
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 15:18   Link #204
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
They had the advantage of being five feet away, not trapped in a bay behind a giant wall, behind rows and rows of troops shooting at an elevated target who is likely so far away that you'd need a sniper to hit him. Context is important.
Again the important thing is trying... and no one TRIED to shoot him... guns and canons could easily cover the distance. even if they are likely to miss, TYRING to stop him is important

Furtharmore, the distance was not THAT great... recall that all of the shichibukai were standing together, and the pirates had advanced close enough that they were able to attack Boa... If the pirates were close enough to attack Boa, they should have been close enough to attack Kuma... not to mention that Kuma is a pretty big target (he's over 20 ft tall)

Quote:
Again, giant wall, rows of troops, elevated platform, extreme distance. There's a reason no one tried to stop him in the manga. They couldn't. Whitebeard's quake powers aren't a beam, so all he could do is shake the field up, and that takes time to do.
Check back to the beginning of the battle... Whitebeard sent out a quake that IMMEDIATELY (ok techncially their was several seconds of delay) smashed Ao kiji... his powers are not limited to just shaking the field. He is able to make long ranged strikes on individuals, even if they are in midair

And no, the reason no one stopped him in the manga is because in the manga the whole battle looks like it went a whole lot faster... as in, the pirates had no time to react.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 15:54   Link #205
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Regardless it did feel weird that Whitebeard tells everyone to give Oars support and you don't really see anyone do anything in that role. Just seems like Oars was left to get smoked with little help. Just feel bad for Oars; guy tried so hard to reach Ace.

Still think the most entertaining part was Boa just smoking a good amount of both sides . Nice to see some other aspects of her fruit that show just how powerful she is.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 18:43   Link #206
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Again the important thing is trying... and no one TRIED to shoot him... guns and canons could easily cover the distance. even if they are likely to miss, TYRING to stop him is important
As opposed to protecting themselves from the myriad amount of Marines in the bay trying to kill them? Trying for the sake of trying is a waste when there's an entire war going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Furtharmore, the distance was not THAT great... recall that all of the shichibukai were standing together, and the pirates had advanced close enough that they were able to attack Boa... If the pirates were close enough to attack Boa, they should have been close enough to attack Kuma... not to mention that Kuma is a pretty big target (he's over 20 ft tall).
By the time Kuma started up, they were a little busy not being killed by Hancock, among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Check back to the beginning of the battle... Whitebeard sent out a quake that IMMEDIATELY (ok techncially their was several seconds of delay) smashed Ao kiji... his powers are not limited to just shaking the field. He is able to make long ranged strikes on individuals, even if they are in midair
He was significantly closer, and directly attacking Whitebeard. Oars was between Whitebeard and Kuma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
And no, the reason no one stopped him in the manga is because in the manga the whole battle looks like it went a whole lot faster... as in, the pirates had no time to react.
The manga looks faster because the action is packed in. It's not an instant attack.
__________________
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 21:53   Link #207
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
And now for the new episode.

Giant got owned, Cocky bastard, that's what you get.

Garp is sad.

Luffy finally shows up.
__________________
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 22:55   Link #208
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Hurray Luffy and co. are here!

Also after seeing what Whitebeard did to the giant, he just made himself even awesomer.
__________________
SilverSyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 01:02   Link #209
FoxxFireArt
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Is anyone else wishing that Akainu had caught Coby instead trying to run away. Watching him wet his pants these past few episodes has been so annoying. He was supposedly trained under the supervision of Garp, and he panics at this. He hasn't thrown even a single punch.

This Marineford arc has really given me a better understanding of Garp. I originally thought he wanted them to become Marines because of some sense of arrogance. Now I see what he wanted. He never wanted to be in the position of having to fight his kids.
__________________
* * Visit Foxxfire Art for weekly Code Geass 4komas * *
FoxxFireArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 02:46   Link #210
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Clash of the Titans. Like some battle in greek mythology. "Release the Kraken."

The war is really progressing slowly. The pirates take 5 steps forward. Mooks fight each other for 2 minutes. Some major player takes out some pirate red shirts, testing out their power. Then we get 10-15 minutes of flashback and intense talking.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 04:22   Link #211
ReXcore
One Piece/Bleach&Naruto
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Germany
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to ReXcore
Whitebeard freakin' boss
ReXcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 07:45   Link #212
Distinction
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Interesting translation though regarding Garp. In the manga he said "if i couldve done smth i wouldve" but in the anime he said "if i really was against it i would do smth".
The first one implies limits to Garps power while the second shows hes a monster. But maybe its just nothing or bad translation in the anime.

Poor Garp though
Distinction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 09:49   Link #213
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
This Marineford arc has really given me a better understanding of Garp. I originally thought he wanted them to become Marines because of some sense of arrogance. Now I see what he wanted. He never wanted to be in the position of having to fight his kids.
I think it's even deeper than that actually...
Ace is not being executed because he is a pirate, so much as he is being executed because he is the son of Gol D. Roger. Even if he had lead an innocent, civilian life he would have been killed for fear of what he might one day become... and Luffy, being the son fo Dragon would probably be in the same boat. In essence it was impossible for either of them to lead even a a civilian life (a life where Garp also would not have to fight them)

However, becoming marines is another story... By becoming powerful marines they can become great heroes to the world. And similar to how the WG can't really do anything to Garp(ordinary marines probably would have been hanged for hiding Ace and Luffy), the WG would not be able to so easily get rid of Ace and Luffy if they were Heroes... in essence, with enough time and great acts of heroism they might have even been able to reveal what their origins that came from; they would be living proof that the children of villains can transcend their blood

Essentially, becoming marines was the ONLY way to truly protect Ace and Luffy from the WG, and it comes with the possible added benefit that future generations may be able to escape persecution based on heritage.


Unfortunately, Ace and Luffy end up coming closer to proving the Marine's fears... I say "closer" because while they are pirates, they are not really villains... Though thinking about it, it is actually a bit strange Ace became a pirate when you consider how he felt about his father... you might say that his genes really were driving him to the freedom of the sea. I guess you could say he also had reason to hate the WG since they practically drove his mother to her death, but he never seems to express such feelings so it's hard to say if that's the case; Roger is the only man he seems to express animosity towards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinction View Post
Interesting translation though regarding Garp. In the manga he said "if i couldve done smth i wouldve" but in the anime he said "if i really was against it i would do smth".
Ya i was little put off by that aswell... in the manga, Garp makes it sound like there isn't anything he can really do
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 11:12   Link #214
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
^ Good post, Slayerx.

This episode was pretty good, but indeed the pacing could have been better.

Whitebeard destroying Vice Admiral Ronse was done very well. They really emphasized his rage in the anime, and the animation there was awesome.

I also really liked Doflamingo messing around with 13th division commander "Water Buffalo Atmos". His speech about justice has always been one of my favorite scenes in One Piece because it's so true in the real world. Justice always prevails because the winners become justice. Doflamingo is an astute man .

Here is the preview for next week's episode: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/GPplayer/e/G...piece&type=flv
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 11:39   Link #215
Drake007
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I wish this episodes would last 60 Minutes now.
Drake007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 14:49   Link #216
Kallen4life
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
absolutely awesome, Dofla doing ANYTHING is 100% pure awesomness and WB just rocks .. he tossed that giant aside after beating him like some towel or something .. he can probably toss around battleships or more (Garp swings an iron ball with a chain the size of a battleship easily)


Garp /sad

LUFFY FINALLY

dreamteam has arrived and ready to kick ass .. finally some Croc moments
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 15:16   Link #217
FoxxFireArt
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I think it's even deeper than that actually...
Ace is not being executed because he is a pirate, so much as he is being executed because he is the son of Gol D. Roger. Even if he had lead an innocent, civilian life he would have been killed for fear of what he might one day become... and Luffy, being the son fo Dragon would probably be in the same boat. In essence it was impossible for either of them to lead even a a civilian life (a life where Garp also would not have to fight them)

However, becoming marines is another story... By becoming powerful marines they can become great heroes to the world. And similar to how the WG can't really do anything to Garp(ordinary marines probably would have been hanged for hiding Ace and Luffy), the WG would not be able to so easily get rid of Ace and Luffy if they were Heroes... in essence, with enough time and great acts of heroism they might have even been able to reveal what their origins that came from; they would be living proof that the children of villains can transcend their blood

Essentially, becoming marines was the ONLY way to truly protect Ace and Luffy from the WG, and it comes with the possible added benefit that future generations may be able to escape persecution based on heritage.


Unfortunately, Ace and Luffy end up coming closer to proving the Marine's fears... I say "closer" because while they are pirates, they are not really villains... Though thinking about it, it is actually a bit strange Ace became a pirate when you consider how he felt about his father... you might say that his genes really were driving him to the freedom of the sea. I guess you could say he also had reason to hate the WG since they practically drove his mother to her death, but he never seems to express such feelings so it's hard to say if that's the case; Roger is the only man he seems to express animosity towards.
I realized that as well. I even wrote about it for a review I wrote for the episode 460 on Anime Vice. If they had become Marines. Who their parents are might have never mattered if the WG thought they had that power on their side.

It really gives you a deeper admiration for Garp.
__________________
* * Visit Foxxfire Art for weekly Code Geass 4komas * *
FoxxFireArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 15:48   Link #218
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Oh man that bit with Whitebeard just owning that giant Vice Admiral was awesome. You could see the anger on WB's face when Oars went down..and then just tossing that giant away like it was nothing was just beautiful.

What frightening power
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 11:10   Link #219
idont
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
this is too slow...i want to know what happens next!!
idont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 11:48   Link #220
Kallen4life
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
was the episode with Dofla controlling the 13 (14 ?) Div Commander in the manga ?
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.