AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Eden of the East

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-05, 23:19   Link #21
achirist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: US
That's what I gathered, yes, that either the gunshots or the car crash killed him.
__________________
Can you hear it? The true melody.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 23:34   Link #22
BlueDo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I actually like Paradise Lost, though that's probably because I had negative expectations.
But yeah, disappointed like everyone else at the finale.

And what exactly are those 11 days?
The sum of all the times Saki was with Akira?
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 21:47   Link #23
karumofin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
wow this movie was so bad... i dont understand what happened, both of these movies were truly abysmal. nothing of interest happened in either one, they could have both been regular episodes and even then they would have been bad. i just want to forget this story ever was told. the movies had nothing, no plot, no crazyness, no romance, no humor, no character development, no conclusion, no mystery, no action, no twists...
i am truly at a loss about how something like this could happen.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-08, 09:38   Link #24
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
That's what I gathered, yes, that either the gunshots or the car crash killed him.
after what they did with Pantsu, you can't really consider that scene a definitive proof of anyone's death. You'd actually need to see their severed heads to remove any doubt.


I don't... think I need to express my opinion on this movie. I think all that there was to be said was said already. It's disappointment the emotion I mostly feel right now, because the movie itself is enjoyable... but nothing more than that.

This story had the potential to become a true masterpiece, and ended up being something mediocre. I don't think Eden of the East will leave a mark in the anime's history, it won't be remembered as a milestone, just a good series among many others. It's as if the authors themselves didn't believe it could be any different and didn't really try to make it so. Such a pity.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 14:40   Link #25
lann
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I felt a bit flat after watching this. I think it was sort of a fitting ending, to a series that will see a second season, but what i dont understand is how one guy who left the govenment would have so much cash on him so as to create a system when 10 people can have anything they want, from killing people to demanding clothes from strangers from the other side of the world, to creating illusions that looked so damn real they could not possibly be fake, at all. Oh, and I forget to mention that said bloke also has 10 granddaughters that look and speak exactly the same.

For an anime that is supposedly set in a world similar to this one (as in, no magic, spaceships, future technology, cat girls or fairy's), it isn't half a load of bollox.

In a nutshell, not everyone would do things for money, and a taxi driver would not have that amount of cash in the bank.

Hang on, didnt that guy create the game to try and change the govenment, only to deny a change in the end, and have everything as it was?

What a load of cr*p _
lann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 16:11   Link #26
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I think one of the most disappointing things about this film is how it completely shafted the whole 'Supporter' thing. We've been doing so much speculation on who the supporter would've been during the original TV run. It's a bit irritating that it turned out to be a hoax and Ato just wipes everyone's memories with an incredibly convenient sound-thing.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 05:20   Link #27
WEZ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
you guys really missed the point of the whole series, it is about a childlike innocence and view on the world. There is a reason why the youngest Messiah won, when your older you wanna help preserve what you have when your young you want things to change the future.

Also Mr.Outside hints that he was once part of the game. I believe that Takizawa will be the next mr outside. This is shown by the 1 yen to everyone, it's a message saying "you dont need money to change the world, you need to learn to make money to change the world"
he started the game with everyone.

Overall I was very impressed by the open ending,
WEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 21:10   Link #28
AnnaM
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Coast (US)
Ok so I totally fell in love with Eden of the East. I thought the series was better than the movies though and that they should have taken the time to do a season two (and maybe three) over two movies. But I loved the political idea. Not that there should be a king, but that people need to start doing stuff rather than just complaining about it.
My main question is what happens romantically?! Saki just waits for him? Not the best ending. I thought he should have grabbed her hand and taken her with him because he does that several times. She is clearly in love with him and the feeling appears to be mutual. I think the very end he should have showed up. It would have been cheesy but I thought having friends and being loyal was one of the themes. So any replies to that, but open endings are not for me lol. I like to know what happens. Though I do like the political ending that he is gonna keep going to help Japan.
AnnaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 22:01   Link #29
drobertbaker
Major Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Land of Enchantment
I agree with almost all of your points. The story was originally planned for two seasons. At the success of the first season, a decision was made to go with two movies (more lucrative) instead of a second season. As a result, about half of the second season material was cut, resulting in the choppy and disjointed nature of the movies.

Saki just waits for him. Until:
  • he shows up (unlikely)
  • she settles for Osugi, who really does care for her (more likely)
  • she happens to fall in love with someone else (most likely)
I disagree that the feeling was mutual. Although she was swept off her feet by a handsome dashing mysterious figure who came into her life just when she was dissatisfied and looking for a way out, he really is just a friendly guy who loves everybody.

She may have felt it was fate and his deep feelings for her that kept him returning and holding out his hand to her, but really, like a cat, he only showed up when he needed something from her. He would have gone to anybody else if it was more convenient and not given her a second thought.

He is a great man on a great (if nebulous) mission and has no time for anything that would interfere with that mission.
__________________
no puran no aidia
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 00:34   Link #30
AnnaM
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Coast (US)
Haha you just made me feel a hundred times better about the ending. I guess being a single chick I was rooting for the true love ending. But your right his ideas are more than just love and she would have fallen for anyone who was different.
But hands down this is one of my fav anime.
AnnaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 12:32   Link #31
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Just finished this. It was really good. I did expect a bigger to do, but it still worked well. Erasing the memories at the end was a nice touch too.

Do wish he took Saki with him or at least sent her letters or something.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 18:40   Link #32
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Neo-Venezia, Planet Aqua (Mars)
I also have recently watched both movies. I thought the 2nd one is better then the 1st one, but I do not think both films are that great. It is watchable, but I feel it is forgettable too - it does not strike me as unique nor the ending has any impact.

I am well aware of the social problems in Japan (youth unemployment, NEET, social and economic inefficiency and inflexibility), and certainly deserves an anime series that devotes on that issue. Give that social problem a spin - like make a mystery and conspiracy, one have high potential to be make some great drama out of it. However, I think Eden of the East fall short of that. In the end, the series and the film just becomes another ordinary mystery/conspiracy series...
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 19:33   Link #33
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
I think the time between the TV series and each movie ruined the suspense. I think they should have stuck with the original two seasons.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 13:37   Link #34
Jarmel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Really disappointed with both movies. Both I felt just treaded water and the ending where he left Saki just pissed me off. The whole Prime Minister son subplot was dragged out WAY too long and didn't amount to much in the end. All of the rules and tension such as the Supporter in the series was killed off.


But man the way he just left Saki pissed me off.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 02:33   Link #35
Paperplane
Guy on the Couch
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I think the time between the TV series and each movie ruined the suspense. I think they should have stuck with the original two seasons.
Indeed. 2 Movies just isn't enough time to flesh out the story premise of the Juiz Mobile System, Selecaos, the supporter etc.. for it's conspiracy plot and as such, we're only given certain hints or few explanations about them. I haven't watched the series in a while now but this is what I've assumed.
__________________

"What speed do I have to live, to be able see you again?"
Toono Takaki (5 centimeters per second)
Paperplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 04:15   Link #36
ViewtifulAlchemist
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Meh, just finished it and was disappointed. I think it's due to the fact the series overall was spreaded out so thin between the original and the movies, just killed the tension in the end. Didn't help that basically in the end Takizawa was all just "Hm, game ended guess I'll be going, cya! LULZ" *dashes off into random distance and is never heard from again*.

Glad to washed me hands free of this series overall, it was fun watching Takizawa running doing goofy stuff in the beginning but talk about ending with a big whimper.
__________________

Sig by Jze0
ViewtifulAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 11:47   Link #37
JC...
I am a Pie
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In a fantasy.
The end of the first movie felt like it was leading up to something larger but it didn't really amount to much.

There was a lot of emphasis on the game, yet Takizawa faced little competition aside from needing to drive a lorry. Mononobe was wasted, but at least it was humorous when that other guy was swarmed with tax collectors.

That said, it wasn't terrible.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 15:58   Link #38
LaniGuy
In the Penalty Box
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wherever Tessa takes me
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
I agree with almost all of your points. The story was originally planned for two seasons. At the success of the first season, a decision was made to go with two movies (more lucrative) instead of a second season. As a result, about half of the second season material was cut, resulting in the choppy and disjointed nature of the movies.

Saki just waits for him. Until:
  • he shows up (unlikely)
  • she settles for Osugi, who really does care for her (more likely)
  • she happens to fall in love with someone else (most likely)
I disagree that the feeling was mutual. Although she was swept off her feet by a handsome dashing mysterious figure who came into her life just when she was dissatisfied and looking for a way out, he really is just a friendly guy who loves everybody.

She may have felt it was fate and his deep feelings for her that kept him returning and holding out his hand to her, but really, like a cat, he only showed up when he needed something from her. He would have gone to anybody else if it was more convenient and not given her a second thought.

He is a great man on a great (if nebulous) mission and has no time for anything that would interfere with that mission.
It is true that he is focused on his mission but in the season why would he even bother trying to have her come over to his place, go through all of his troubles for her... and most importantly kiss her to begin with? There was no reason to keep her around, personally I feel that if he wanted to use someone else he would have but he kept her there... That's why the ending bothered me, because people just aren't that friendly to begin with, and if they are, they don't kiss you lol IDK about you guys but even girls I'm close friends with I don't invite them over my place late at night nor do I kiss them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaM View Post
Haha you just made me feel a hundred times better about the ending. I guess being a single chick I was rooting for the true love ending. But your right his ideas are more than just love and she would have fallen for anyone who was different.
But hands down this is one of my fav anime.
Like Anna, I too am a hopeless romantic and am constantly shut down by the Japanese creators lol Either it never works or someone dies... why must they torment us with such depressing endings?! Quite frankly I think him not coming back to her is just another sad ending that the Japanese love to do
LaniGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 12:01   Link #39
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniGuy View Post
Like Anna, I too am a hopeless romantic and am constantly shut down by the Japanese creators lol Either it never works or someone dies... why must they torment us with such depressing endings?! Quite frankly I think him not coming back to her is just another sad ending that the Japanese love to do
If the writers really wanted a definitively sad ending, they wouldn't have left such a huge opening in the scene after the credits. Why end the whole story with directions to a taxi driver, given with urgency? Sure, it could be another random stop, but the whole story is filled with subtle hints at this and that, and I find it hard to believe that the entire story ends with a random turn on the street. It's clear Akira's got a place he needs to go to after fulfilling his desire to give Mr. Outside a good whack for what he's been through, and isn't seeing Saki the most obvious thing for him to do?

And I really do think there's a special significance to putting the scene after the credits. I think it's a reward for those who sat through the credits--you thought we'd have a tragic love ending for the two lead characters? Here's a whimsical scene for you, with a giant hint otherwise. It fits the whole sense of whimsy that marks the story and Akira's character, beginning with the crazy opening scene in front of the white house. A sad story of unfulfilled love just doesn't fit the story's overall tone.

However, like so many other anime endings, it's up to the viewer to interpret what follows after the ending--those who want tragic plots can think Akira never comes back. Western literature has its own tradition of love stories always ending badly; indeed, bad endings once helped define the genre. And anime is no stranger to love that goes unfulfilled. But my point is that there's plenty of evidence for the other side, too--the last scene after the credits, and the blatantly obvious chemistry between the two throughout the whole story. Heck, it doesn't fit the reaction of Saki's and Akira's friends who see the kiss, who look like they didn't get the memo that this was a depressing end. In fact, on its merits, it makes much more sense within the logic of the plot and story for Akira to return. But for those who enjoy being lachrymose, there's a opening left to them.

Besides, I've always thought writers are sometimes right to keep a "happy" ending off-stage. The kiss at the end of Paradise Lost is powerful, partly because it might a goodbye. And it in fact looks like that, until the closing scene *after* the credits. And even for my reading of that last scene in the taxi, for the specific story Saki is telling, it is the powerful end. But another story comes afterwards, and while it won't be worth telling in the same way East of Eden was, I think it'll have a happy beginning with the two reunited.

So, bottom line, don't be sad; take advantage of the hints the writers have given you!
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.