AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-04, 22:40   Link #2601
Luna91
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Australia
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPrincess View Post
Ummm (Doesn't completley understand whats going on)
People marry in churches because of tradition right?
But when it comes to religion you are getting married under Gods eyes so you "can't" divorce or you its a sin think I am correct right there as said "Till death do us apart"
Yeah I guess there is that accountability, your making the vow not only under God's eyes but under the eyes of your community/congregation who will support you etc, i think thats part of the principle behind it.
__________________
avi credit: main_titles
Luna91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 13:28   Link #2602
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
"marriage" is basically announcing to your community that you're making a go of it - and swearing oaths of fealty to each other in *public* view is *supposed* to count for something as your value is in the honor of your word.

The religions just hop on the bandwagon since asserting control of sex and other important aspects of life makes them more indispensable.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 13:45   Link #2603
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Outer Heaven
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Im pretty sure he said that whether or not you believe in God depends of your viewpoint and its neither right nor wrong.
Well, in my religion it's not only believing in God. The Qur'an (Holy Book) discovered alot of things science never knew before.
__________________
ArabianLuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 18:12   Link #2604
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianLuffy View Post
Well, in my religion it's not only believing in God. The Qur'an (Holy Book) discovered alot of things science never knew before.
Yeah, I'm sure that happened.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 23:03   Link #2605
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianLuffy View Post
Well, in my religion it's not only believing in God. The Qur'an (Holy Book) discovered alot of things science never knew before.
I'll assume some grammar ambgiuity. The book discovered nothing. It *is* a document of what happened at the time, what the writer knew about, and has some principles of living via the words of the Prophet. It is considered holy by those who follow it.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 05:01   Link #2606
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianLuffy View Post
Well, in my religion it's not only believing in God. The Qur'an (Holy Book) discovered alot of things science never knew before.
It is actually a book based on the perspective of Muhammed and that Zulfiqar-wielding guy.

It discovered nothing. It is simply a presentation of perspective. No offense though, with that guy wielding his "magical" sword and slaying enemies by the pound makes it seem very much like a wuxia novel.

P.S I read the translated version, FYI.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 05:15   Link #2607
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Still, it is interesting though that the Moslems claim that Mohammed, the supposed author of it is illiterate. I guess that's why they call it their holy book then?
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 05:30   Link #2608
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Still, it is interesting though that the Moslems claim that Mohammed, the supposed author of it is illiterate. I guess that's why they call it their holy book then?
Quran means "Dictation" in Arabic.

Muhammed DID NOT write the book, contrary to popular opinion. He dictated most of it, and the rest are historical add-ons.

Seriously speaking, I pity Muhammed. The Muslim community he worked so hard to build was taken apart by his wives and followers, and that Zulfiqar-wielding guy, who's supposedly his "designated" successor, got his head split open by a poisoned sword.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 05:50   Link #2609
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Wait, if I remember right wasn't Quran supposed to mean "something to read" or along those lines? just like how the Bible means "the book".
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 07:12   Link #2610
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Wait, if I remember right wasn't Quran supposed to mean "something to read" or along those lines? just like how the Bible means "the book".
A Muslim religious study teacher told me it means "dictation" in Arabic. Wikipedia puts it as "recitation". Wikianswers put it as "something recited".

Small note : I am not a Muslim.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 07:46   Link #2611
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I was told that Quran meant "To be recited" because it was a verb (this was years ago though, so I could be wrong)

[edit]

My mistake. It's a verbal noun.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2010-09-06 at 11:58.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 08:02   Link #2612
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Still, though it's a shame how religion has stained the earth with the blood of our brothers. Wasn't religion supposed to bring peace of heart? Yet look at the world now. The Moslems are terrorizing the planet, the Christians priests are getting increasingly gay, and the Jews are fucking racists. Nowadays religion looks like a mere tool to justify every act of infidelity that ethics were unable to justify.

*sigh* Though I wont deny that not few people's were really saved because of religious peace of heart, I wonder what went wrong with the rest of the world...
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 11:57   Link #2613
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Well anyway, I think the significance of Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) being illiterate was when he was meditating in the cave of Mount Hira and Angel Jibreel (Gabriel) commanded him to read the first revelations despite him being illiterate.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 12:08   Link #2614
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Still, though it's a shame how religion has stained the earth with the blood of our brothers. Wasn't religion supposed to bring peace of heart? Yet look at the world now.
The world is a crapsack to begin with. It is the smaller things in life that make it beautiful. In war, you find men throwing themselves on grenades to save the lives of their teammates, mounting .50 cal rambo-style agains hundreds of enemy fighters, and volunteering to go on snatch patrols nobody wants. In peace, people start wars against hunger in another part of the planet that is totally none of their business, work like slaves for an estranged old stranger and volunteer to help out in schools doing what the school staff should in official events.

It is a funny world we live in. Sometimes the bigger things in life look like shit, but on a micro scale it makes differences to lives.

Quote:
The Moslems are terrorizing the planet,
They aren't. Extremist retards are. I live in a society where Muslims, Hindus, Chinese and Christians are forced to live together. Draconian as it sounds, but nonetheless effective in fostering understanding.

People are lazy to understand others by nature. They won't bother, unless they are forced or there is a benefit.

Quote:
the Christians priests are getting increasingly gay,
It's actually allowed by that guy up there. Read /2 Samuel 13/ to /2 Samuel 9/.

Quote:
and the Jews are fucking racists. Nowadays religion looks like a mere tool to justify every act of infidelity that ethics were unable to justify.
Jews AREN'T racists. They are just paranoid. Read the entire history of Jews from the Crusades vs the Saracens period, the Roman Empire period (there is a small part of the Byzantine Empire about the Fiscus Judaicus) through the rise of the Ottoman Empire, then into World War 2, 1948 Middle East, Six Day War, Yom Kippur War, until today.

You'd be surprised at how the rest of the world treated them for their eccentric culture. This is the reason why the international Jews consider each other to be blood relations.

You'd be surprised that your judgement is completely skewed.

So, who's the racist in the end?

Quote:
*sigh* Though I wont deny that not few people's were really saved because of religious peace of heart, I wonder what went wrong with the rest of the world...
Saved or not, it is good to at least READ THE FUCKING BOOK(Koran/Bible/Torah/Bhagavad Gita/Diamond Sutra/etc) FROM END TO END before we develop a mentality. There is ONE thing that is certain if there is a omnipotent-omnipresent-omniscient supreme being up there : nobody has the damn right to judge others for their actions other than that person up there. We can only do our best to preach good (while practicing it of course!), and whatever evil shit someone else does can only be judged by that person. So as the 2/3 Commandment states :

You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

Commanding a person to obey your whims because you feel that he's doing contrary to something "God" preaches is making wrongful use of his name - you are judging in his/her stead and dispensing justice as you see fit, not him/her.

Conclusively, we shouldn't bother about whether we are going up or down afterlife. Life is short and everyone lives only once, so why don't we live our lives to the fullest by showing some compassion to others, and just follow the Golden Rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well anyway, I think the significance of Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) being illiterate was when he was meditating in the cave of Mount Hira and Angel Jibreel (Gabriel) commanded him to read the first revelations despite him being illiterate.
I am more inclined to believe that the Angels read the revelations to him word for word.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 13:27   Link #2615
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Still, it is interesting though that the Moslems claim that Mohammed, the supposed author of it is illiterate. I guess that's why they call it their holy book then?
I read somewhere that in the context, "illiterate" may have simply meant "not a religious scholar". He was a merchant and may have been good enough to keep the books.

I also read it referred to him at the time of his first marriage. Before he took an interest in the whole creating a religion thing.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 14:37   Link #2616
Heiwatsuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Well the reason people are are fags, trying to use religion as a cover for greed or selfish means, or commiting terrorism is because of one simple reason. the way we grow up. everyone is different, mostly their personality is from how they grew up, how they were taught, and their enviroment. MANY people are ignorant, and not knowing the answers to life which are in front of you. and they dont even start to think about why thing are the way they are now.

i see middle schoolers paying each other just so they can use each others computers -.-. i see people cussing others and beating others up. thats why we need to teach the younger generations whats wrong and whats right. universal morals and laws areant in our head to begin with. and as people grow they begin to learn from their surroundings... The us has really become corrupt. EVERYWHERE you go there are people who use sex jokes for humor, who cuss, and who find pleasure in annoying and bullying others. in the beginning we are all just emptey dolls that need programming.

and as i said before in the huge collasal paragraph , its your personality and experience that chooses whether you would believe in a god. i dont believe in a all knowing sentient life form who created humans just to be his slaves. and the belief theres a eternal paradise a eternal firey hell is just messed up. im a realist and a humantarian. Religion.... ''god'' made it so there would be enough evidence to understand who they are worshipping and at the same time its made so you can never truly prove whether a god exists or not. thats why its called Faith.

The only good use i find in religion is that it helps the normal ones to become nicer people through the use of a lie. though i resent the fools who are blind and are completly consumed by religion and cause trouble for others who believe in something else. and i find the fact that people are forcing others to become a certain religion. you CANNOT force people to believe. like i said before, its based on our personality. due to this factor, its impossible to make everyone in the world believe in a religion or religion as a whole. and i doubt their god would even want their followers to force others and kill to make them believe...

like many christians do. its best to be nice and courtious to others and gain their trust. a person wouldnt want to believe in a god where their followers threaten you with a weapon. and the things i hear about religious people who commit sins saying its for their god is just sad. i once heeard a story about muslims(i think) who in a sense kidnapped a family and raped the women shouting FOR ALLAH. <-- that makes me sad... i know enough that allah wouldnt want that... So many people in the world are SO ignorant and foolish. sigh...

one last thing, never say a religious person is blind or an athiest is foolish. Never. their viewpoints are both not wrong. As i said before since the tendacy to believe in a religion is based on personality, you shouldnt condemn a innocent. and also... they areant wrong because the belief that a god exists is their viewpoint, their worldview. since religion can never be proved in this world, neither can be considered right or wrong. its all about viewpoint. whether i choose to believe a god doesnt exists or does exisit, you should respect others opinions. so never say another person is right or wrong. both of your believes are only opinions/viewpoints. and dont even start to say your religion is real. if its not provable, its not real. and since its ''faith'', its only your mind saying its real. Which means you just have alot of conviction. also.. just because muhammad or jejus lived in the past doesnt prove their religion exists. remember that.
__________________
Heiwatsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 15:34   Link #2617
Mute
エアコンを止めろ!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Send a message via AIM to Mute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKou View Post
is because of one simple reason. the way we grow up. everyone is different, mostly their personality is from how they grew up, how they were taught,
Gay people aren't gay because that's how they were raised.

Do you CHOSE to watch anime? Do you force yourself to watch it? Or is it something you just stumbled across and found that you really liked it?

Same goes for gay people. They don't chose to like boys instead of girls, that's just how they are.
Mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 16:41   Link #2618
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKou View Post
you should respect others opinions. so never say another person is right or wrong. both of your believes are only opinions/viewpoints.
Respecting other people and their ability to make their own opinions is one thing. That doesn't mean you have to respect their opinions. And it certainly doesn't mean you can't say whether they are right or wrong.

Quote:
and dont even start to say your religion is real. if its not provable, its not real. and since its ''faith'', its only your mind saying its real. Which means you just have alot of conviction.
If you believe in something, it means that you accept it as being true and real regardless of whether it has been proven. That alone is enough reason for someone to say their religion is real.

And going back to the idea of respect, it means acknowledging that other people might say their religion is real even if you disagree with their viewpoint (i.e. you think that they are wrong).

So for example, here's where respect comes in my life:

As a Christian, I do not believe that Mohammed is a prophet of God. Therefore, I think that people who say that he is are wrong.

However, if I respect other people, then I wouldn't persecute Muslims for believing that Mohammed is a prophet of God.

So again, respecting other people has little or nothing to do with agreeing/disagreeing with them. And consequently, it has nothing to do with whether or not you can say that someone else is right/wrong based on their viewpoint.
monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 21:54   Link #2619
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKou View Post
i see middle schoolers paying each other just so they can use each others computers -.-. i see people cussing others and beating others up. thats why we need to teach the younger generations whats wrong and whats right. universal morals and laws areant in our head to begin with. and as people grow they begin to learn from their surroundings... The us has really become corrupt. EVERYWHERE you go there are people who use sex jokes for humor, who cuss, and who find pleasure in annoying and bullying others. in the beginning we are all just emptey dolls that need programming.
While I can see your point, I have to say I know a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses and they don't act like this, yeah nobody's perfect and yada yada yada, but if there is a true religion they have it.
__________________
They say you don't grow up
You just grow old,
It's safe to say I haven't done both.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 00:37   Link #2620
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Everyone is entitled to have an opinion - no one else is obliged to defer to it. Opinions that are unsubstantiated assertions are as worthless as they come The recent media debacle of fringe idiot zealot versus other idiot zealots should have resulted in severe garbage pelting at the preacher, his flock, the protesters, and their "mob instigators".

This holds true for any sort of belief. Now pardon me while I go placate the air conditioning faeries and pixies...
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.