AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-09-08, 08:16   Link #301
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Make an SE account here: https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/register
Apply to beta here: http://entry.ffxiv.com/

How to enable hardware mouse here: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/13...mouse-lag-fix/

Each FFXIV update breaks the fix, just go to the link to update.
Old 2010-09-14, 11:02   Link #302
Zekori

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/17035...vent-coverage/

Miracle Patch for Retail.
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 13:02   Link #303
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

New cinematic trailer :

As usual , SE's cinematics are very nice .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 13:06   Link #304
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekori View Post
Err, this seems more of a 'we screwed up, but we'll eventually fix it' kind of announcement. Ie, they have some simple fixes in, but most of the other stuff is still 'work in progress'.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 15:20   Link #305
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Good voice acting in the cg movie. Like the miithra mentioning her "father" XD
Old 2010-09-14, 16:26   Link #306
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Great video explaining exactly how the "Fatigue" system works.

Eorzea Prelive Event Report

Some key points from the above link:
- Hardware Mouse
- UI improvements
- Guildleve cooldowns/improvments
- MP regen
- Retainer search/auction house system

Recommend that you read all of it, lots of new information.
Old 2010-09-14, 17:18   Link #307
Sassarai
Army of One

Fatigue system sounds sort of like being forced to to level their subjobs ~_~. Bad!
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 17:24   Link #308
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Fatigue system sounds sort of like being forced to to level their subjobs ~_~. Bad!
Well, it seems like that's how this game is meant to be played, since if you only do a single job, you'll be seriously gimped and be unable to fight even monsters at lower level than you are later on.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 17:26   Link #309
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
This game really shouldn't be called FFXIV, it should be FFXI v2.0.

It's basically FFXI with shinier graphics, all the names changed, the maps changed, a pseudo-FF13 Paradigm Shift system bolted onto FFXI's Job System.

There's nothing new, really. Square utterly failed at their assertion to make FFXIV "grind-free." It plays just like every other MMORPG since FFXI and WoW. Click monster. Autoattack monster. Drop cooldown abilities as they become available. Kill monster. Loot monster. All bow down to Random Number Generator, our lord and master.

Can't we get something a little more interactive than WoW? Would prefer a TES/Fallout 3 sort of system. RNG controls fine-tuning, but the basic aiming, dodging and suchlike is done by the player.
Old 2010-09-14, 20:59   Link #310
Zekori

@ synaesthetic

I'd look into The Secret World, Tera Online, and Perpetuum Online's current development phases. They inherently seem to be deviating from the normal cast of MMO's, specifically Tera Online in this case. Perpetuum has been taking a Eve like approach to those who are in the beta and tell me about it, Tera Online is similar in aspect to Demon Soul's for the PS3 and is generally given fairly positive criticism but there is still skepticism, The Secret World offers 3 factions and starts the game at end-game; it's done by Funcom if that rings a bell, and I'm not sure how it's latest developments are going but its success depends once again on meddling executives.

I haven't played FFXI, but from talking to players it seems that there have been new changes that is making FFXI pretty enjoyable; at the same time FFXIV seems to be deviating from similar original inane design philosophies, and the developers actually admitting The Vision is greatly flawed has earned some meager respect from its anticipated player base.

Quote:
Err, this seems more of a 'we screwed up, but we'll eventually fix it' kind of announcement. Ie, they have some simple fixes in, but most of the other stuff is still 'work in progress'.
There's a few birdies that say otherwise, realistically chances are retail will be buggy in a few regards and aspects but will indefinitely run smoother. Remember, when some guy released a hardware mouse support they immediately patched their own (yet more crappy) version of it or rather set it at a different value rather than just having it enabled.

Regardless, FFXIV seems to have a positive outlook with the sole exception of Civ 5 coming out the same day (assuming FFXIV isn't pushed back, which it honestly should be to beta test its new changes).
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 21:07   Link #311
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This game really shouldn't be called FFXIV, it should be FFXI v2.0.

It's basically FFXI with shinier graphics, all the names changed, the maps changed, a pseudo-FF13 Paradigm Shift system bolted onto FFXI's Job System.

There's nothing new, really. Square utterly failed at their assertion to make FFXIV "grind-free." It plays just like every other MMORPG since FFXI and WoW. Click monster. Autoattack monster. Drop cooldown abilities as they become available. Kill monster. Loot monster. All bow down to Random Number Generator, our lord and master.

Can't we get something a little more interactive than WoW? Would prefer a TES/Fallout 3 sort of system. RNG controls fine-tuning, but the basic aiming, dodging and suchlike is done by the player.
then go play those, because those are hard as fuck to make into MMORPG's
Old 2010-09-14, 22:23   Link #312
Sassarai
Army of One

Right now it's looking like FFXI = FFX and FFXIV = FFX-2. I don't know if they can fix the bland looking terrain, dull looking monsters, boring battle system, bad controls, etc.
Old 2010-09-14, 22:25   Link #313
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Bland looking terrain? dull looking monsters? what level did you get too? because you obviously didnt get to lvl20 apparently. and the battle system is better than any other MMO i played. and the controls take effort to get used too.

you asked me soo many questions online and now your ripping on it.
Old 2010-09-14, 22:37   Link #314
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Battle system is boring. It's ripped straight from WoW. Click monster, start autoattacking, fill in space with cooldown specials. All events are calculated via ability scores and random dice rolls.

What is this, 1990?

It's not hard as fuck to make a real-time active combat system into an MMO. It's already been done with Planetside and Huxley, two MMOFPS games. Don't tell me bandwidth limitations make it impossible, because both of those games work just fine.

The reason nobody does it is because of Blizzard, WoW and the game's ludicrous level of success. WoW is the reason that all MMORPGs made after WoW are basically ripoffs of WoW with slight variations. Fortunately it's becoming apparent to everyone that WoW's success is utterly anomalous and will never happen again.

No MMORPG can kill WoW, because its success is a freak accident, and Blizzard is going to be in for a rude awakening when it's time to retire the game and whatever they try to follow it up with doesn't get 10 million subscribers.

I hope that FFXIV, TOR and any upcoming WoW-alikes fail hard, just to get any new developers interested in making an MMORPG to step the fuck away from the WoW model and try something new and innovative.

Perhaps Interplay and Bethesda will deliver with Project V13... but I almost dread its creation, as Blizzard has shown us very clearly how badly an MMORPG can mangle the lore and reputation of a series.
Old 2010-09-14, 22:57   Link #315
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

/sigh Screw it, just dont fuckin play that game, I could use two less people lowering my FPS get the hell out of the forum and stop complaining about it. Since you clearly only see WoW when its ANTHING close to it. FFXIV's battle system is way more closer to FFXI's with the TP and positions agenst the enemy. you clearly cant see how its diffrent from WoW, which is sad.

golly gee, I hope Guild wars 2 isnt a WoW Rip off

but no really, if youre gonna say crap like "I hope ___ fails hard for coping WoW" Then just the the hell out of this topic.

I Do hope you find that one MMORPG that satasfies your needs.btw Huxley and Planetside BLOW
Old 2010-09-14, 23:09   Link #316
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Well, it seems like that's how this game is meant to be played, since if you only do a single job, you'll be seriously gimped and be unable to fight even monsters at lower level than you are later on.
Yeah which is why so many players don't want it. They don't want to have to level jobs they don't like. Ex mages don't want to level melee classes vice versa. Being force to level all jobs or feel gimp is meh.
Old 2010-09-15, 04:16   Link #317
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
/sigh Screw it, just dont fuckin play that game, I could use two less people lowering my FPS get the hell out of the forum and stop complaining about it. Since you clearly only see WoW when its ANTHING close to it. FFXIV's battle system is way more closer to FFXI's with the TP and positions agenst the enemy. you clearly cant see how its diffrent from WoW, which is sad.

golly gee, I hope Guild wars 2 isnt a WoW Rip off

but no really, if youre gonna say crap like "I hope ___ fails hard for coping WoW" Then just the the hell out of this topic.

I Do hope you find that one MMORPG that satasfies your needs.btw Huxley and Planetside BLOW
NO NO NO ! GW 2 is far better than this ....
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 07:19   Link #318
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
NO NO NO ! GW 2 is far better than this ....
oh no shit XD i was just picking on them. i cant freakin wait for GW2 XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Yeah which is why so many players don't want it. They don't want to have to level jobs they don't like. Ex mages don't want to level melee classes vice versa. Being force to level all jobs or feel gimp is meh.
making my own armor is MUCH MUCH mroe awesome than "Oh heres this super bad ass peice of armor that prob took tons of money to make just for you"

you get a since of accomplashment when making your own armor. Besides... if you freakin wait a while Im sure people will sell armor in the Auction house.
Old 2010-09-15, 07:29   Link #319
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Battle system is boring. It's ripped straight from WoW. Click monster, start autoattacking, fill in space with cooldown specials. All events are calculated via ability scores and random dice rolls.
No. WoW's combat system is much better than XIV's. At least it has an autoattack. Any moron can (and does post-BC) faceroll the keyboard and do well. XIV's clunky UI and slow combat system requires full attention; there isn't any autoattack, at least in the classes I've tried so far. You have to hit an ability every time you want to attack. It's amazingly old fashioned.

It really is just XI 2. A shinier version for a new generation who demand the eyecandy (though honestly aside from character models, the graphics are underwhelming. Armour designs for characters leaves a lot to be desired, too. At least what's available in beta. Maybe there will be pretty stuff later...)

XI was based heavily on EQ, which was developed in the mid 90s (released in... 98?) so was based on an entirely different mindset. I'm incredibly disappointed XIV -didn't- learn from WoW which has set the benchmark of modern MMOs. It'd do a damn sight better if it was more WoW-like.

Anyway, ultimately the console interface is what really lets it down. Console JRPG players may be used to the clunky menu system, but PC MMOers certainly are not. The PS3 version should have its own UI, PC shouldn't be burdened with that.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 09:04   Link #320
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Oh my god, enough of this crap.

Obviously ffxi and ffxiv arre just too much for casual gamers. That's ok, there are plenty of easy games like WoW or Aion for that kind of gamer.

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2010-09-15 at 09:28.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mmorpg