AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-12, 15:34   Link #61
Zidane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukato
This is exactly why I believe that Ippo will be a pretty decent success outside of Japan. I couldn't care less about how well japanese boxers actually fight, but the determination of Ippo makes it great. Heck, insert any sport instead of 'Boxing' and use the same characters and similar story and its bound to have a good reaction to internet and the rest of the world. Obviously almost every anime fan on Animesuki liked Ippo, and they are the most critical of anime because they have seen more anime than the average American/European. If we who are the most critical of anime enjoyed Ippo so much, why wouldn't the rest of the world? (aside from Japan of course)
This is exactly what i think. Hni is so much more then just a boxing anime. I dont think anyone will care about Japanese boxing not being all that good in reall life.
The series grabs people cause of the friendship and weirdness/comedy of Kimura,Takamura, Leapfrog Aoki , and Ippo bring to it, not even mentioning Coach Kamagowa and Jagi (not sure it was spelt like that) The charachter building of the oponents is great as well, who would have thought people would respect the charachter that is Ryo Mashiba for the anti social but very caring brother he is to his sister for instance. Btw, i like anti social , i hate allot of fakers and treat them like Mashiba does :P . The intense fights are far from a boxing fan only watch, in fact, it might draw people to the sport who never ever watched a single boxing match. The comedy, the slight but not overdone drama, the romance (if you can call it that), the training, the comedy , the music, the fights. Whats not to like about it?

BTW, dont overdo it, Japanese boxers have won a good deal and have been ranked high in lower weight classes more then often. Its not like theyre complete shit in all the weight classes since the beginning of the times or something.
Old 2003-11-29, 03:33   Link #62
Autophage
Inciteful

It personally pleases me that this is the first sports anime to catch an American lincensors' eyes. Truthfully, neither Slam Dunk nor Prince of Tennis have that panache that Hajime no Ippo delivers with its emotionally sympathetic cast and thrilling action sequences. Another great thing about HnI was how it kept side-line commentary to a minimum but made it tolerable or enjoyable depending on the character, where as in Prince of Tennis, Ryoma would lose a point to someone on the court, and then eight people react (Fucking repetitive if you ask me) simultaneously as if they were choreographed.

Another reason this is great news is that it was picked up by Geneon (A.K.A. Pioneer), the people that were responsible for Tenchi Muyo's, Serial Experiment: Lain's, Armitages', and many other great titles' excellent voice acting. I think this show is in good hands with the guys at Pioneer... whoops, I'm mean... GENEON!!!X-TREME!!111
Old 2003-11-29, 20:06   Link #63
GipFace

Hrm ...

It personally pleases me that this is the first sports anime to catch an American lincensors' eyes.

No one remembers Princess Nine?
Old 2003-12-01, 03:40   Link #64
Autophage
Inciteful

I don't think it's a matter of "remembering" - perse. More like, "Watched it in the first place."
Old 2004-05-20, 05:26   Link #65
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Just saw a review for ippo today on Ign. I was kinda suprised its out on dvd already, although I wish they didn't change the title to "Fighting Spirit".
Old 2004-07-19, 19:29   Link #66
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Well Fighting Spirit isn't the worst title so I'm not too disappointed. Besides people would probably horribly mispronounce the title if it was left in its original form. I mean christ, the everyday American butchers the word 'sake' Did they leave the original Japanese soundtrack and make a sub on the DVD? If so I'll pick it up when I get money. If not, I might import. I just took a look at the website and MAN they put some MASSIVE mid-series spoilers in there! What the hell were they thinking!!!

But the real reason I wanted to post was does anyone know if they plan to make more Ippo episodes? I've been following the manga and although its really good, I think this series is just so much better when its animated. How could they end it at 76 episodes when its still going strong (IMO)???

Hero of Allacrost, a free 2D RPG in development.
Old 2004-07-19, 19:41   Link #67
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Well Fighting Spirit isn't the worst title so I'm not too disappointed. Besides people would probably horribly mispronounce the title if it was left in its original form. I mean christ, the everyday American butchers the word 'sake' Did they leave the original Japanese soundtrack and make a sub on the DVD? If so I'll pick it up when I get money. If not, I might import. I just took a look at the website and MAN they put some MASSIVE mid-series spoilers in there! What the hell were they thinking!!!

But the real reason I wanted to post was does anyone know if they plan to make more Ippo episodes? I've been following the manga and although its really good, I think this series is just so much better when its animated. How could they end it at 76 episodes when its still going strong (IMO)???
Hard to believe, but I heard the anime got really poor ratings in Japan. The most we can hope for is another OVA or movie.
Old 2004-07-20, 10:45   Link #68
HopelessLover

It doesn't really matter to me who takes hajime no ippo becuase either way I'm going to buy the whole box set for the series ^^

(yes, I just love this series)
Old 2004-07-21, 11:03   Link #69
DeluxSkillz

it did not get bad ratings it was voted best anime of the year 2001 and 2002, the manga covers twice as much as the anime and is still going it's very popular in japan, nobody knows the real reason why they stopped at ep 76 because the manga is still going strong, i'm definately buying the dvds because HnI is one of the best animes ever
Old 2004-07-21, 17:30   Link #70
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
It doesn't really matter to me who takes hajime no ippo becuase either way I'm going to buy the whole box set for the series ^^
I hope by 'boxset' you mean all of the offically licenced R1 DVDs, and not a bootlegged boxset - as there probably won't be a R1 boxset for quite some time - if ever.

Quote:
it did not get bad ratings it was voted best anime of the year 2001 and 2002, the manga covers twice as much as the anime and is still going it's very popular in japan, nobody knows the real reason why they stopped at ep 76 because the manga is still going strong, i'm definately buying the dvds because HnI is one of the best animes ever
It got best anime of 2001 and 2002 in Japan? News to me. Where did you hear this? Post a website, or something.
Old 2004-07-22, 09:08   Link #71
Zidane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxSkillz

It was, what's your source for that? Anyway, from what i understood it didnt have the best timeslot and channel to get the ratings either. But i did see it in the top 10 animes allot on that old site that had the monthly ratings :P .

Well out of the 2000-2002 animes i watched (mostly the top10 stuff) it sure was one if not my favourite. I could never really understand why it wouldnt be populair, i mean, some idiots said the music sucked, cause it wasnt the typical anime style music, it was jazz/rock like stuff, perfect for a boxing story, no matter if it was anime or not. Loads of drums, trumpets, man, it owned. ' I mean, cmon its the fuzion guitar king Tsuneo Imahori (trigun, gungrave) who did it, that mans awsome, he mixed music styles with the greatest ease. Rarely have i seen such strong guitar pieces in anime.

Then there was the story about the animation being bad: bs, the animation was fluid, the art was not amazing, but it wasnt anywhere near the worst thing i ever saw. Especialy the ova's where amazing art and animation imo. The story was both funny in its comedy moments, and exciting during the fights. And the drama was nothing huge, it was just normal day normal person drama, not blown up to soap proportions. Slice of life i would say.

If it really was the ratings/complete lack of intrest for it that stopped it, then i would be really surprised. Another reason maybe, the manga doesnt even give a point to work towards. In the manga atm from what i understand ippo is still just japanese champion. And just now got a world ranking. And he didnt even have his rematch with Miyata even 30 volumes after the anime :\ .

Anyway, i gotta say my earlier statement i made months ago is worthless now that ive seen the dub. The hni dub is a disaster. Its almost fandub level.But dont take my word for it, watch 1 ep and judge for yourselfs .
But dont make it stop you from buying the dvds, since theres a good spanish dub, and ofcourse the superior Japanese original version subbed, and you get 5 eps per disc. Shame Geneon treated this series as a very low priority and handed it to some 4th rate voice acting crew.

Last edited by Zidane; 2004-07-22 at 10:33.
Old 2004-07-22, 11:13   Link #72
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidane
I could never really understand why it wouldnt be populair,
Allegedly, it's simply a case of the manga being a LOT better.
Especially as the series heads towards its conclution, they cut out a lot of stuff from the manga version.
Old 2004-07-23, 02:34   Link #73
Zidane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
Allegedly, it's simply a case of the manga being a LOT better.
Especially as the series heads towards its conclution, they cut out a lot of stuff from the manga version.
Thats just a shitload of crap with all due respect. Cause ive been trough the manga , and yes a handfull of things were taken out.But that was all, and by no means where those huge things or crucial things. Its absolute nonsense that the manga was allot better cause they are 90% identical. Compared to your average series based of manga it was kept to a minimum. And you have to understand that the manga chapters the anime was based off where a good deal older then the anime. So some things just had to be slightly changed cause they didnt fit in this time anymore. Since the hni world is the actual world we live in eventhough the characters and story are fictional.
Old 2004-07-23, 17:19   Link #74
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Perhaps the Jappanese simply like to hold different opinions to us.

Jappanese also like reading more, than the generic lazy English/American person.

Maybe...
Old 2004-07-27, 08:56   Link #75
Zidane

Yea, its a fact the opinions are different, but the whole society is different as well.
Good thing im neither American or Canadian plus i read allot. Reading manga i dont really concidder reading , its pictures with some text. Its not exactly deep literature :P .
Old 2004-09-30, 16:59   Link #76
Puar

I'd been curious for some time about the differences between Manga and Anime for awhile and just started reading through the Manga not too long ago. Off the top of my head, the only significant, noticeable differences that I remember up to right after Saeki's fight with Sendo is...

1) Ippo does not see Mashiba fight during the Pro Boxer Test and, actually, a good bit of stuff was added in the Anime for the Pro Boxer Test that wasn't in the Manga.
2) Before the Ozuma fight, Aoki colors his skin to try to get Ippo to get used to fighting a darker toned opponent.
3) Takamaura visits Ippo and Aoki at their homes before the Aoki/Kimura Flashback rather than showing up at the Gym to tell them Kimura is sick after their comeback matches.
4) There are more references to Tyson in the Manga, maybe because by the time the Anime was made he had a not so good reputation anymore.

There are other small divergences, but none that I can remember right now. Like someone said, from what I see, it's 90%+ following the Manga faithfully. And, though I haven't gotten there yet, I did peruse through later chapters of the Manga and the Anime, or rather, the Champion Road movie excludes the match between Kobashi and Hayami for Sanada's forfeited belt.

Three parting notes:

1) Snoopy, I don't care what you think, you guys are 'The Man!'
2) Here's to hoping for at least another OVA, that way, if we go chronologically, it would be Miyata's bout for the OBPF Title.
3) Have you guys heard the Fighting Spirit (http://www.fightingspiritdvd.com) Dubs? *cringe*
Closed Thread