AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2010-06-24, 21:15   Link #1
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

All torrent sites vanish

Just happened tonight. Animesuke, Tokyotosho, Jishaku, nyaatorrents all ceased functioning, or at least loading in our area.(COX Communications in Kansas) Anyone else have this problem?
Old 2010-06-24, 21:21   Link #2
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

They're down for me too. Location is across the ocean, so... yeah, certainly not a local issue.

The Pirate Bay is down too... fishy.
PositronCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 21:33   Link #3
alemanLara

Damn... What's going on?
alemanLara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 21:37   Link #4
Hedd
Random Object

I have a backup site or two that are running but I'm finding it odd that the main animesuki site is down but the forums are running while Coalgirl's nyaatorrent site is down with nyaatorrent. Somethings going down, hopefully it's nothing major.
Old 2010-06-24, 22:00   Link #5
rathbaster

Nyaa torrent are back online
Old 2010-06-25, 02:07   Link #6
GHDpro
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Everything seems to be back online for me (well except Jishaku, but that could be a server problem).

AnimeSuki, NyaaTorrents and TokyoTosho are all hosted in Sweden btw, so there must have been some major outage there.

The AnimeSuki mirrors (esp. USA ones) should have been up though. Also the AnimeSuki forum is hosted in California, USA.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 13:34   Link #7
bombyethan1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Everything seems to be back online for me (well except Jishaku, but that could be a server problem).

AnimeSuki, NyaaTorrents and TokyoTosho are all hosted in Sweden btw, so there must have been some major outage there.

The AnimeSuki mirrors (esp. USA ones) should have been up though. Also the AnimeSuki forum is hosted in California, USA.
Hey thanks for posting all that, I didn't know about this before
bombyethan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 20:39   Link #8
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemanLara View Post
Damn... What's going on?
Its related to 4chan being down I did a little investigating.

http://www.mountainx.com/forums/viewthread/3719/
Quote:
Members of the notorious 4chan image board have launched a coordinated a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack against mpaa.org, the website of the Motion Picture Association of America.

The attack began at 9:00 PM EST and is still ongoing. It only took eight minutes for the MPAA website to go down.

According to an announcement posted on the Internet, 4chan members consider this a retaliation against film studios who paid an Indian company called Aiplex Software to attack torrent websites in a similar manner.

Last week, Aiplex’s managing director boasted in the media that when websites refuse to respond to DMCA takedown notices sent by his company, on behalf of local and international film studios, his team resorts to DDoS.

“[…] We flood the website with lakhs [hundred of thousands] of requests, which results in database error, causing denial of service as each server has a fixed bandwidth capacity,” he said.

Aiplex was the original target in 4chan’s attack plans, but it was replaced with MPAA at the last moment, because the Indian company’s website was hit and taken down ahead of schedule by someone else.

4chan announcement regarding MPAA DDoS attack
Enlarge picture
“Rejoice, /b/rothers, even if it was at the hands of a single anon that it was done, even if ahead of schedule. Now we have our lasers primed, but what do we target now?

“We target the bastard group that has thus far led this charge against our websites, like The Pirate Bay. We target MPAA.ORG!” the 4chan announcement said.

Instructions regarding what programs to use in the attack, where to get them from and what IP address to target were also included.

4chan is a popular image board that served as birthplace for numerous Internet memes. Its members have repeatedly proven that they can band together to harass organizations or individuals in numerous ways.
Here is what I gathered.

MPAA hires Aiplex to do DDoS attacks on torrent sites. /b/ retaliates with their own DDoS MPAA. Aiplex DDoS attacks 4chan.

This is so stupid.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 22:25   Link #9
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Ehh, this topic is 3 months old.
PositronCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 22:40   Link #10
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositronCannon View Post
Ehh, this topic is 3 months old.
Ehh Sorry Tought it was related to Tokyotosho being out at the moment.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 22:56   Link #11
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Ehh Sorry Tought it was related to Tokyotosho being out at the moment.
It is still relevant. Just not for the same reason.
Old 2010-09-19, 23:59   Link #12
LMF

Yup.......
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 08:12   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Someone want to explain to me why the MPAA would care about Tokyotosho? For instance, animesuki.com isn't offline. I think there's more to this story than what we've heard so far.
Old 2010-09-20, 22:22   Link #14
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Send a message via Skype™ to Yuno
I agree with Seiji, but I wouldn't believe that MPAA would really have any reason to go after Tokyotosho. Unless they were posting things that were licensed and they disliked it. Still their (MPAA) targets seem to be more towards North American film torrent sites. Though many 4chan members appear to be Anime fans. Could this be a retaliation to meet 4chan's retaliation? Many questions arrise.
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 22:55   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There are DDOS attacks going on, but apparently there's been a *chan fire back. As Reddy posts, its quite childish and amateurish. But then we've learned the MPAA and its minions tend to be quite childish and amateurish.
Old 2010-09-20, 23:11   Link #16
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Eh, hasn't TokyoTosho gone down temporarily quite a few times? What's different now?

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 23:15   Link #17
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Tokyotosho does indeed go down often. The oddness of quite a number of torrent sites going down I think has stirred an interesting discussion on the events of three months ago regarding 4chan and MPAA.
Old 2010-09-27, 07:59   Link #18
SSIlanya
Agent 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There are DDOS attacks going on, but apparently there's been a *chan fire back. As Reddy posts, its quite childish and amateurish. But then we've learned the MPAA and its minions tend to be quite childish and amateurish.
If one man steps on another man's face he does not take it lying down. He stands up and hits him back.

It is only right that those who shoot should be willing to be shot back at with a rocket launcher.
Old 2010-10-06, 21:35   Link #19
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIlanya View Post
If one man steps on another man's face he does not take it lying down. He stands up and hits him back.

It is only right that those who shoot should be willing to be shot back at with a rocket launcher.
A DDOS attack on an organization's website inconveniences a tech team in an air conditioned room getting paid for waiting it out. It would be better if the hordes of faceless anons could organize actual protests and rallies.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 22:12   Link #20
Yuno
Balanced Diet

sleepint? Do you mean --. for the last section of your tag?

I heard of anon protests on scientology and things like that. They'd be much more effective in the way you've said, though this way is quite effective too, but actually seeing the masses. I have mixed feelings, but I agree that it does drag others in that don't really deserve it.