AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-23, 20:32   Link #81
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
This game has got me super excited because, Darcsens GALORE!! or so it seems, Bad ass Darcsens, Imperial Darcsens, maybe even mixed-Darcsens. That girl in Calamity Raven looks mixed, I look forward to seeing the others, there seemed to be more members of Calamity Raven. Hope there's more girls :P
Why am I not surprised at this response from the resident Darcsen fanboy?

Granted, though, maybe this will flesh them out.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 19:08   Link #82
itrytofight
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In Texas... again.
He ya'll, long time no talk.

http://west-east.at.webry.info/201009/article_19.html

This web page has a twenty minute clip of Sega introducing VC3 to the audience in the TGS.

They have info on what the game's about, voice actors, and a small clip of how the three main characters talk.

It's all in Japanese though.
itrytofight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 15:38   Link #83
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC3alpha View Post
^ I like how you can bring someone to follow and move as a group and I definitely like the fact that you can control reira's valkyria form but I guess this is what we're going to get in exchange for the tank oh well I prefer the valkyria anyways XP.
I'm not complaining either. I always found tanks to be big, bulky 'shoot here for instant game-over' markers. They tended to make games harder rather than easier, which for 2 cp a turn was just not worth it.

As for the game being on the PSP... eh, I don't mind. Would have preferred it on the PS3, since VC was pretty much the reason I bought one, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over being able to play VC wherever I want to. One of the advantages of the VC style is that it transfers to handhelds more naturally (because lets face it, if we're talking high-end graphics, Valkyria Chronicles won't win first price).
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 16:23   Link #84
DC20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I disagree with the idea that VC transfers well to handhelds because of the visuals - Valkyria Chronicles might not have won any awards for its graphical quality, but it DID receive some very heavy praise for its aesthetic quality - a quality that current handheld systems can't support. When transferred over onto handhelds we get generic anime style art instead of the distinctive watercolor aesthetics full consoles are capable of producing.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 13:05   Link #85
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC20 View Post
I disagree with the idea that VC transfers well to handhelds because of the visuals - Valkyria Chronicles might not have won any awards for its graphical quality, but it DID receive some very heavy praise for its aesthetic quality - a quality that current handheld systems can't support. When transferred over onto handhelds we get generic anime style art instead of the distinctive watercolor aesthetics full consoles are capable of producing.
I disagree with your disagreeing. I find that while VC2 doesn't hold any graphical improvement over VC1, I've got to say that other games (such as Ace Combat) DO transfer over well. A PSP Ace Combat game is indisquingishable from a PS2 one - and in due time, handhelds will be able to pull the PS3's workload better than the PS3. It might not be watercolor, but most war games on PSP are very darkly colored (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 on PSP, for instance). VC2 is a good change of pace, just like VC1 was from the regular "Real is Brown" FPS.

Then again, from what I've read, you wouldn't mind a "Real is Brown" VC game. While I won't knock "Real is Brown" - such a complaint was a reason I don't hold C&C 4 of 2010 as highly as Tiberian Sun of 1999 - it just doesn't belong with VC. Perhaps a realistic, CoD/MoH styled BLiTZ engine game would be more fitting, but I fear you might have to wait for a project I'm partaking in off on the Sega and Steam forums in order to get your sort of VC game.

EDIT: Also, the generic art style was probably for appeal to a wider (for some reason or another) audiance. They could quite easily have gone with prerendered cutscenes (case in point: Tiny Tank, in which the titular tank is much higher res in cutscenes than in game), but they elected to go that route instead. Either that, or it was simply quicker to make and localize (CG sets don't have mouth flaps, vs PRC having them. Much easier to work with.)
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 17:09   Link #86
DC20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Whether Ace Combat looks better or not on the PSP is irrelevant, as we're talking about VC - and again, I have no problem with the graphical downgrade. My issue is with the stylistic one. If hand held systems will be able to support that style of graphics in the future then I will have no problems whatsoever with VC being transferred to those hand held systems in regard to the visuals - WHEN THAT IS THE CASE. However, systems now CANNOT support that style. Therefore, VC does not transfer well visually without downgrading itself. Again, how it fares in comparison to other games on the PSP doesn't matter - if the argument says that VC transfers well visually then the benchmark used would have to be VC on the PS3.

Also, I would HATE a "brown is real" VC. Here's a copy paste from my opinion on that from "The War Room" (because I'm just to lazy to write it myself Topic was "Sega Slips VC3 Confirmation")

I've actually never had a problem with the whole "browner color pallet" deal when the issue has risen with other games, but VC is renowned for its colors and artistic design (well... was). Thankfully there look to be at least some brighter colors in the screen shots provided, so there should be at least some color other than 64,000 shades of brown.

Simply put, I completely agree with you that it doesn't belong in a VC game.

To clarify my stance on "Real is Brown", I fully support it - when brown really is more realistic. When it's not I don't want my screen full of brown. Then again, I've never really had a problem with "Real is Brown" because I don't play the type of games that it features in. It's mainly used in the FPS genre, and the only FPS games out there that I can stomach is the ARMA series, which doesn't use a "Real is Brown" color palatte (and which, ironically, are the most realistic FPS games on the market). No offense to any MoH, CoD, or Battlefield fans, but arcade style combat turns me off.

Granted, VC is not realistic - it's not supposed to be. However, it DID have a distinguishing style, and it was heavily praised for that style. I really liked it, in fact, despite the clear anime influences it took and my general distaste for most (though certainly not all) of that art style. When they took that out and left only the anime... well. I've made my stance on that pretty clear. I agree with you that there is a very strong possibility that an influence on the change was to appeal to a broader audience, but "appealing to a broader audience" isn't always "improvement", and can often be the opposite. Of course, they're designing these games to make money, so hoping that they'll do it for the art of it is usually a losing bet - even when "doing it for the art" ultimately creates a higher quality product.

Last edited by DC20; 2010-09-29 at 20:54.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 20:45   Link #87
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
The problem with doing it for the art is that at the end of the day, they have to eat.

Ultimately, VC had to expand the franchise to a wider audience - niche sales wouldn't be enough to carry the title, unlike the Sakura Taisen series.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 12:52   Link #88
Snowman24
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Another reason I'm looking forward to this, and it's been said once but figured it needed to be said again... Homer's Sister is HOT!! lol :P

Spoiler for H.H.S - Homer's Hot Sister.:
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 13:18   Link #89
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Age: 20
Ah, Lelia... the S to Homer's M. I believe DC20 has already developed an amount of lust for her already, and we hardly even know her.

Not that I blame him or anything. She IS hot.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 16:08   Link #90
itrytofight
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In Texas... again.
Here's a translated version of the 1:30 long trailer of VC3!!!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eIdB...eature=related

The guy posting this one is working on the 3 min long one too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
Ah, Lelia... the S to Homer's M. I believe DC20 has already developed an amount of lust for her already, and we hardly even know her.

Not that I blame him or anything. She IS hot.
It'd be interesting to see what effect she'll have on the main storyline, hopefully it will be similar to someone like Rosie, a important character in VC1 with actual character development, rather than, say, an extra like Edy.

Regardless, she is hot. Though I prefer Imuka at the moment.
itrytofight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 14:57   Link #91
DC20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Homer's sister just happens to be the best of the bunch at the moment (in my opinion, of course, though that shouldn't have to be stated). I've never been a huge fan of the Darcsen designs past Wavy. They just look bland and uninteresting to me, and the first game went so far into drilling the idea that "Darcsens are all saints" despite the intended message that you shouldn't judge people based on race (which should mean good OR bad, and by making all of the Darcsen borderline immaculate they kind of killed that) that I got a bit fed up with them. I'm actually glad 3 is addressing that with some Darcsen enemies, and I hope they don't subvert that in some way and end up making them "good guys" in the end.

As for the Valkyria girl in this one, I can't look at her without thinking of him -

http://www.freewebs.com/lmcat/tails.gif

Even beyond that though, and despite always being the first to admit having a raging redhead fetish, I like my women cheerful and happy, not dark and brooding. That kicks Imuka out for sure, and from what little we've seen (granted, not much at all) the Valkyrur (though she's been shown smiling in some shots, IIRC). I want Cherry, Ramona, and Freesia, not tall, dark, and angsty. Again though, we'll have to wait until we know more about the characters for that - I'm just basing off of first impressions.








God I hope Cherry is DLC in this one...
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 17:28   Link #92
itrytofight
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In Texas... again.
^ Reila (I think that's the valkyrur's name) may be one who tries to keep the morale up on this unit, she might be the only one who actually cares for 422 seeing that the other two main characters have their own agendas (Imuka seemingly keeps to herself and ponders what battle tactics to use on whatever Valkyrur wiped out her hometown and Irving is just trying to use 422 to get back to his own unit, which seems to have disowned him).

She may not be a Freesia or Ramona but its better than nothing (plus we got Leila too, along with that wipping boy of hers).

Come to think of it... she's a scout and Valkyria right? Looks like we players have our Valkyrur Scout rushes back, and thus a virtual Ramirez unit we can order around and do everything while the squad sits back and shoots at nothing.

REILA!!! TAKE OUT THOSE SHOCKTROOPERS!
REILA!!! INBOUND HEAVY TANK, TAKE IT OUT WITH YOUR LANCE!
REILA!!! THEY CALLED IN ARTILLERY, DEFLECT IT WITH YOUR GLOWING RIOT SHIELD!
REILA!!! THE PALACE IS UNDER SIEGE, DEFEND BURGER TOWN!
REILA!!! RELOAD MY GUN FOR ME!
REILA!!! MAKE ME A SANDWHICH!
***DAMMIT REILA KEEP UP!!!

(sorry, just had to post this )

Oh, before I forget. Here's the three main characters interacting with one another:
http://ie.ign.com/videos/2010/09/16/...objectid=84511
itrytofight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 18:40   Link #93
jwai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 28
Ewww, trying to compare VC with MW2 is sacrilege. The story in MW2 was a complete joke. I suspect Black Ops will be more of the same wankery.

Then again, I currently get Lavinia and her tank to do nearly everything in VC2. AP rounds solve lots of problems
__________________
Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Last edited by jwai; 2010-10-03 at 18:54.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 19:15   Link #94
Firefly00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
Ewww, trying to compare VC with MW2 is sacrilege. The story in MW2 was a complete joke. I suspect Black Ops will be more of the same wankery.
One could argue that this is a problem for any game whose multiplayer aspect is touted as a lead feature: developers see little need to put much effort into the single-player experience. I am reminded of point number twelve on the Evil Overlord List:

Quote:
One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child. Any flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected before implementation.
Or, why objective beta-readers are good things for writers to have.

Hmm, as long as we're here, it might be amusing to see how many of these points various folks in the games' OPFOR have bombed on...
__________________
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Arc Nova
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 22:13   Link #95
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Yes, more Freesia fans. Thank God. I thought I was the only one.
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 36.0: Fighter Squadron 84. The VF-84 "Jolly Rogers."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 22:25   Link #96
DC20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Freesia is totally one of the pillars that make up the Valkyria Chronicles Holy Trinity. It's a shame she's often looked over. Not so bad with her as it is with the other two pillars though. A lot of people seem to outright hate Cherry for being... Cherry, and a lot of people seem to forget Ramona even exists

Edy's the behind the scenes hero of Squad 7? Please.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 03:48   Link #97
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The girl's bathroom
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Yes, more Freesia fans. Thank God. I thought I was the only one.
I loved Freesia but I'm an Alicia fanboi at heart.

On my current playthrough I'm getting quite attached to Ramona too. Aika watch out!


I'm barely two hours into VC2 (I just had to play the original again after you meet Alicia...) but VC3 is already looking good.
__________________

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 20:00   Link #98
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Possible ending theories

Spoiler for Tearjerkers galore:
__________________
Old McDonald had a farm...Eyey Eyey O...And on his farm he had a Khzithak...Eyey Eyey O...With a ARHHFAHHAAAAAAAAARRRGIIIAAA HELP AAAUUU HELP! IT'S GNAWING OFF MY...
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 02:39   Link #99
jwai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Possible ending theories

Spoiler for Tearjerkers galore:
My, aren't you pessimistic...
__________________
Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 13:20   Link #100
KariOhki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Ohay new scans. At least, I haven't seen 'em yet.

Spoiler for thumbnails:
__________________
Sakurayasha: Zakuro, Twins, Kanade, MCdio, Shota, Tall Guy, Hanadolph, Dog Spirit, Elephant Spirit, Rabbit Spirit, Pumpkin Spirits, Triplet Spirits
Gay Robots: Fabulous, Girl, Rich Gay, Pinkhair, Greenslut, Bikerdood, Fishgirl, Class Prez
Typical Eroge Anime: MC, Azmaria, Aion, Goldy, Genkigirl, Ice Queen, Teagirl
Meidoshow: Maidklutz, Meirdio, Morooka, Seiba, Glassesmeido
KariOhki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.