AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-11, 08:22   Link #1
Seiryuu

Anime/manga dealing with rape

I've been reading Bitter Virgin, and I'm curious what other anime or manga deal with the effects of rape. Not "rape as drama", where a rape is basically added to give some drama to the story. I mean stuff where the rape is taken seriously and we're shown just how this affects the girl.

Obviously, some adult or near-adult content may exist in many series. Just make sure that any adult material is handled tastefully and has some connection to the situation and its aftermath.

I'm particularly interested in stuff that shows the way it affects the girl and how she handles it and eventually recovers to some degree. Some girls react like the girl of BV, becoming terrified of all or some men. Others actually let themselves go since they feel that they're already "dirty". Some try to hide it but can't, just like some try to tell someone but can't get anyone to believe them.

Note, I used quotes on "dirty" because in my personal opinion this is not so. In my eyes, rape is not sex. Being beaten doesn't mean you've been in a fight, and being raped shouldn't make a girl any less innocent and pure in people's eyes.

Also, I'm including as rape cases where the girl is deceived, where the guy deliberately hides something from her or lies to her because he knows that if she knows the truth she will say no. Even just pretending to be in love with her because he wants to do her. Consent is meaningless if it's tricked out of a person.

There's one series I remember but don't remember the name that also deals specifically with rape. The girl is raped at knifepoint on a date, and most of the story I believe is centered on her deciding whether to press charges and face all kinds of persecution so severe that it's called "secondary rape".
Old 2010-09-11, 09:26   Link #2
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Berserk??

Gantz? also i recommend this anime with a great ending(even if it's not really an ending who answers to the questions unfortunetly xd)

Mai hime? (great show)
Shizuru kinda raped her friend into the animation

Ninja scroll? (the non censored version show a very humiliting thing by one of the bad guys for the heroine )

Perfect Blue (awesome animated movie of feu kon satoshi)
well, i cant tell because spoilers, so i suggest you to see perfect blue in first because it's a great animation movie
Old 2010-09-11, 11:53   Link #3
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

ef~ a tale of melodies is one. Though that may be "Dramatic," it doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect.
Old 2010-09-11, 12:00   Link #4
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

This thread will get many odd looks from the mods I'll bet
Old 2010-09-11, 12:10   Link #5
james0246

You always want the weirdst reading material...

Zankoku na Kami ga Shihaisuru springs to mind...but it features male sexual abuse, not female.
Kare no Ondo also springs to mind...
Tobenai Tori
Confidential Confessions
Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni

I'm forgetting the name right now, but there is a recent sports/soccer manga about a girl who is deceived into sex by her childhood friend, and ends up taking her vengeance on him by competing against him in soccer. Kind of silly, but still kind of good...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-09-11 at 12:28.
Old 2010-09-11, 14:29   Link #6
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
You always want the weirdst reading material...

Zankoku na Kami ga Shihaisuru springs to mind...but it features male sexual abuse, not female.
Kare no Ondo also springs to mind...
Tobenai Tori
Confidential Confessions
Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni

I'm forgetting the name right now, but there is a recent sports/soccer manga about a girl who is deceived into sex by her childhood friend, and ends up taking her vengeance on him by competing against him in soccer. Kind of silly, but still kind of good...
That would be Uwasa no Midori-kun, which I forgot to mention. I like stories where people go through a lot and earn their happiness, and sometimes stories like BV catch me and I want to know if there's similar stuff. Several of these look like what I was thinking of.

From another post, I haven't seen GANTZ or Berserk so I don't know, but I believe My-HiME falls much more under the category of "rape-as-drama".

One I haven't read but sounds like a good fit is the manga "LIFE".

One other anime appears to fit but can't be certain since we don't know if it was rape or anything like that. We know that a girl went through some horrible trauma in the past that completely changed who she is, but the girl isn't eager to talk about it, her friends who know aren't going to tell someone unless she wants them to know, and the person who did it to her likes to make things up. Perhaps if there's a season two of Ookami-san, I'll be able to find out just what the bastard did to her.
Old 2010-09-11, 14:33   Link #7
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Ok
anyway , check the animated movie Perfect blue
Old 2010-09-11, 16:04   Link #8
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROMEangel View Post
ef~ a tale of melodies is one. Though that may be "Dramatic," it doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect.
I'd be kind of surprised if Seiryuu hasn't seen EF: A Tale of Melodies, but IMO it definitely fits the bill. You definitely get a pretty good sense of how the girl has been affected by it, and the big dramatic scene isn't the rape itself (which is never shown), but how she goes about revealing it to her love interest. That scene in itself tells us a lot about the character in question.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-09-12, 18:43   Link #9
MamoruUsagi

Mars The main couple is dating and in a serious relationship. Kira and Rei are deeply in love. Kira, however, becomes very distraught and holds back whenever Rei wants to do something sexual. We find out in the series that Kira was raped by her stepfather and her stepfather comes back into the series.
Old 2010-09-15, 17:30   Link #10
Seiryuu

I'll have to look at that one too.
I looked around, and I think the unnamed manga I mentioned was at the end of a manga called something Love Transaction. The girl gets to see a popular guy who she likes and he rapes her; she goes to the cops and experiences what the author calls "second rape".
One more H item that I believe might fit (it's not translated in full and my kanji's not that great) is Momoiro Peanuts. As I understand it, the main girl has some sort of split personality, which will every now and then turn her from a normal girl into a sex addict. It turns out that in high school some guy had asked her out and acted like the absolute prince charming, kind and gentle and devoted, until they'd had sex a couple times; then she found out that he'd said and done everything just to get her in bed, and now he was bored. As I said, consent is meaningless if the guy deceives the girl in order to get it. The shock and shame and humiliation all ripped at her and she started to half blame herself, ultimately resulting in her odd psychological condition.
BTW, I'd heard but can't find any copies of the manga, isn't there something like this in Chisa Pon?
Old 2010-09-15, 19:26   Link #11
christinemarie
Best Imouto

Some animes with rape involved.
Uta-Kata episode 9: Adults tends to drag down children to their pace.
Elfen Lied episode 5: A mother's ignorance led to multiple rapes of her daughter.
Old 2010-09-15, 19:49   Link #12
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinemarie View Post
Some animes with rape involved.
Uta-Kata episode 9: Adults tends to drag down children to their pace.
Elfen Lied episode 5: A mother's ignorance led to multiple rapes of her daughter.
I've no idea how I forgot Mayu-chan!
Spoiler for Elfen Lied:

One thing that would be interesting is what it'd be like with a girl who'd been raped who HAS a boyfriend who knows, instead of eventually getting one or tellng him near the end. Issues of intimacy would be a major problem for both with the guy not wanting to do anything that would remind her of that and the girl wanting to be able to let it go and accept love. If the guy's smart, he'd choose to sleep with her in the literal sense, just lying next to her and holding her without trying anything.
Old 2010-09-17, 14:22   Link #13
christinemarie
Best Imouto

This thread should should become a lesson and a guide for rape and not for fun and anything like it cause its serious problem occuring to the whole world.

Utakata episode 09, the part where a boyfriend just stole a kiss from the girl, and at the same time dating another girl is really painful to bear. But what's more painful is some girl's past about those adults that violated her at a young age, and she can't even resist. That explains why she cut her hair and act tomboyish most of the time.

As for Elfen Lied episode 05, Mayu didn't told them the real story, that's why there is no complaint. Her mother let the adopt process goes smooth since she's afraid she might tell it. I'm in pain as she is not wearing anything since she left her house and spend time asking for cookies and leftovers and even lied its for her adopted dog. I love how the dog returned to her even the disgraceful owner obtained it from her without even apologizing and appreciating her efforts.

ef~ a tale of melodies the whole episode 06, reminds me of my real life and being a failure as a brother for not knowing something I should know regarding my family. Since I spend time with my friends and didn't even know the problems until it was revealed like that episode. I felt like the emotions of the past is starting all over again. I cried all over for having the wrong mind set during that time it all happened yet I look like a fool for not noticing it. As a punishment to atone for being naive, I help out my young cousins if possible and ask them about their problems that they're don't tell to their parents.

I like to add Bokura Ga Ita into this list, but the girl involved was not violated rather become a substitute or take advantage of a broken heart. Most of the young man nowadays are like Yuno.
Old 2010-09-17, 17:39   Link #14
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinemarie View Post
This thread should should become a lesson and a guide for rape and not for fun and anything like it cause its serious problem occuring to the whole world.

Utakata episode 09, the part where a boyfriend just stole a kiss from the girl, and at the same time dating another girl is really painful to bear. But what's more painful is some girl's past about those adults that violated her at a young age, and she can't even resist. That explains why she cut her hair and act tomboyish most of the time.

As for Elfen Lied episode 05, Mayu didn't told them the real story, that's why there is no complaint. Her mother let the adopt process goes smooth since she's afraid she might tell it. I'm in pain as she is not wearing anything since she left her house and spend time asking for cookies and leftovers and even lied its for her adopted dog. I love how the dog returned to her even the disgraceful owner obtained it from her without even apologizing and appreciating her efforts.

ef~ a tale of melodies the whole episode 06, reminds me of my real life and being a failure as a brother for not knowing something I should know regarding my family. Since I spend time with my friends and didn't even know the problems until it was revealed like that episode. I felt like the emotions of the past is starting all over again. I cried all over for having the wrong mind set during that time it all happened yet I look like a fool for not noticing it. As a punishment to atone for being naive, I help out my young cousins if possible and ask them about their problems that they're don't tell to their parents.

I like to add Bokura Ga Ita into this list, but the girl involved was not violated rather become a substitute or take advantage of a broken heart. Most of the young man nowadays are like Yuno.
I'm sorry if this opened old wounds. The first part is why I specified that I didn't want what TVTropes calls "rape as drama", where a rape is thrown in to add a little conflict but just used as a minor motivator. Stuff like Bitter Virgin, ef, or even Uwasa no Midori-kun (to a lesser extent) actually deals with the subject and situation and concerns itself with the massive effect it has on the characters, the trauma, and the efforts people take to recover or help a loved one. While I don't know anyone who's been through it, I recognize that it's a horrible thing that can take years or even decades to even begin healing. The courage it takes to face such things, to love a person and support and protect them and take all that in, is an incredible thing and, if handled right in fiction, truly touching.
Old 2010-09-30, 03:25   Link #15
kyonyun
Evil Overlordy Thing

Now and Then, Here and There deals with the treatment of prisoner and children within a a wa setting and 1 girl especially is raped by many soldiers
Old 2010-10-02, 20:24   Link #16
darry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi View Post
Mars The main couple is dating and in a serious relationship. Kira and Rei are deeply in love. Kira, however, becomes very distraught and holds back whenever Rei wants to do something sexual. We find out in the series that Kira was raped by her stepfather and her stepfather comes back into the series.
started reading it and immediately loved it !
Old 2010-10-03, 18:52   Link #17
MamoruUsagi

Thanks, Mars is an amazing romance manga, the most mature, realistic and deep romance manga. Rape is dealt with in a very serious manner. I'm glad you liked it.
Closed Thread