AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-07-17, 16:03   Link #161
Judoh
Mystery buff
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gone Fishin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegal100 View Post
Well yeah Maria isn't evil at all. nor would she be anywhere close to a possible culprit or even an accomplice IMO. Although frankly that shoudn't affect her likability with the fans ^^
Well I disagree about her not being an accomplice. Unless you mean in murder. There are several instances where she probably is involved in somebody else's plot.
Judoh is offline  
Old 2010-07-17, 16:21   Link #162
littlegal100
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Well I disagree about her not being an accomplice. Unless you mean in murder. There are several instances where she probably is involved in somebody else's plot.
When I said 'accomplice' I did mean an accomplice for the murder act. I really can't see it. Although I'm not going to deny her possible involvement (whether intentional or not) in other schemes related to the whole incident.
littlegal100 is offline  
Old 2010-07-17, 16:43   Link #163
Disz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Floor eh duh?
I'm almost 100% sure she's being used.''Beatrice'' the culprit probably has been planning this ''game'' for a long time,so she probably toyed with Maria's mind to make it so she can fully creep people out at the time and make them believe in witches.Pretty much like telling one kid ''Santa died D:'' and making them learn about how santa ''died'' and when it's Christmas,that kid would surely tell everyone at the party.With all the commotion,the culprit would MURDE-steal presents.Then again the kid would just be asked who told her,and she would say the name.But in this case,the culprit went an extra level and dressed up and used the alias ''Beatrice''.
Disz is offline  
Old 2010-07-20, 21:58   Link #164
pikablu
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegal100 View Post
Well yeah Maria isn't evil at all. nor would she be anywhere close to a possible culprit or even an accomplice IMO. Although frankly that shoudn't affect her likability with the fans ^^

She was awesome at the end of episode 2 (Rosa musou!!) Although too bad she's too much of a failmum to be very likable after that (atleast for me)
What if Rosa isn't actually abusing Maria at all? What if Maria is just imagining it? I mean Battler himself has never witnessed Rosa treating Maria badly (maybe a little shouting, but I'm talking about the more harsh stuff like slapping her or something) + it's often just secluded moments between the two, so you can't discount the fact that maybe Rosa is quite nice. And unfortunately that would include the musou scene at the end of epi 2.

Also as for Episode 4:

Spoiler for Episode IV-IV:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Well I disagree about her not being an accomplice. Unless you mean in murder. There are several instances where she probably is involved in somebody else's plot.
I so agree like with that, check out this (only if you've completely watched the first four episodes), that's why I don't think she could be discredited as being a culprit:

Spoiler for Episode IV-VIII:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Disz View Post
I'm almost 100% sure she's being used.''Beatrice'' the culprit probably has been planning this ''game'' for a long time,so she probably toyed with Maria's mind to make it so she can fully creep people out at the time and make them believe in witches.Pretty much like telling one kid ''Santa died D:'' and making them learn about how santa ''died'' and when it's Christmas,that kid would surely tell everyone at the party.With all the commotion,the culprit would MURDE-steal presents.Then again the kid would just be asked who told her,and she would say the name.But in this case,the culprit went an extra level and dressed up and used the alias ''Beatrice''.
The only problem with that is that Beatrice doesn't seem to be 'evil' as such...I suspect that if Beatrice was really just trying to hurt Maria in any way, then she wouldn't have spent so much time with her and made Maria love her so much. It just seems unnatural for her to do something like that. Maria may have been used as an accomplice unknowningly true...but I don't think the culprit would have tried to tarnish Maria's personality.
__________________

Last edited by pikablu; 2010-07-20 at 22:24.
pikablu is offline  
Old 2010-07-21, 02:59   Link #165
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Finland
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Bluemail
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikablu View Post
What if Rosa isn't actually abusing Maria at all? What if Maria is just imagining it? I mean Battler himself has never witnessed Rosa treating Maria badly (maybe a little shouting, but I'm talking about the more harsh stuff like slapping her or something) + it's often just secluded moments between the two, so you can't discount the fact that maybe Rosa is quite nice. And unfortunately that would include the musou scene at the end of epi 2.
Battler saw Rosa slapping Maria in the very first episode... She did that in EP2 after she came back with the gun, though that wasn't in the anime. And was going to slap Maria in the servant's room before Battler stopped her (if I recall correctly). Though this all except the first one in the rose garden happened after the speculated "switch" to 'Rosa' in EP2.
Oh now I remember something I want to post in the speculations thread...
__________________

Umineko no Naku Koro ni ~Rondo of the Witch and Reasoning~ for PS3/PSP
NISA publisher support thread - AKSYS publisher support thread - Facebook group - deviantArt group - Petition
Bluemail is offline  
Old 2010-08-02, 18:41   Link #166
Disz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Floor eh duh?
Contrary to popular belief,using someone doesn't neccecarily mean hurting them.And I also don't think Beatrice is eevil persay,but still very troubled.She didn't fake liking Maria,she just had to use someone vaunerable with innocence.Maria.
Disz is offline  
Old 2010-08-02, 19:17   Link #167
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Yesterday!
Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
Meh Battler smacks Maria plenty by himself in arc 1.
There doesn't need to be Rosa around. Maybe Maria is aware of how annoying she is and that's why she doesn't hate her mother...
UsagiTenpura is offline  
Old 2010-10-11, 11:22   Link #168
Nipah Neko Kisa
Keiichi Maebara Fan Girl
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Age: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Nipah Neko Kisa
The way I see it, a lot of the Anime-Only Fans compare her to Rena, by either saying

"Maria-Chan is so cute! Like Rena!" or "She's a wannabe Rena!"

However, I see Maria as a totally different character than Rena. I can relate to her in alot of ways and her personality is reasonable, considering the treatment she receives from Rosa. She's really a kind character. As long as she isn't completely and utterly selfish or OVER THE TOP MOE, I like her just fine~

I find the fact that she can create 1 from 0 very interesting for her character~ 8D
__________________
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni~

. . . Watch it. Now. The Killer Lolis command you to.
[
Nipah Neko Kisa is offline  
Old 2010-10-11, 17:05   Link #169
SonozakiUshiromiya
Reading your tale. :)
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Just out of sight, eating popcorn. >:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
And as Rosa said - they had no proof Maria was being abused other than being kept home along late nights. Maria herself never said she was being abused by Rosa. If she did THEN child services could do something. But she loves Rosa too much to fault her (even after Sakutaro is ripped to pieces she blames the black witch rather than her mother)
I agree they had no case on the abuse, but the social worker was thrown around the room like a rag doll. You'd think that's a clear cut case of assault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
Battler saw Rosa slapping Maria in the very first episode... She did that in EP2 after she came back with the gun, though that wasn't in the anime. And was going to slap Maria in the servant's room before Battler stopped her (if I recall correctly). Though this all except the first one in the rose garden happened after the speculated "switch" to 'Rosa' in EP2.
You know what gets me, when we are shown the abuse in the rose garden(eps 1 & 2), there's ALWAYS a witness(ep1: Battler, Jessica, and George; ep2: Kanon).
__________________

Last edited by SonozakiUshiromiya; 2010-10-17 at 17:17.
SonozakiUshiromiya is offline  
Old 2010-10-11, 17:21   Link #170
Leafsnail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I think Ryukushi has something against social workers. I mean... always presented as so inept and useless (surely an obvious case of assault is enough evidence...?).
Leafsnail is offline  
Old 2010-10-11, 18:17   Link #171
Judoh
Mystery buff
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gone Fishin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
I think Ryukushi has something against social workers. I mean... always presented as so inept and useless (surely an obvious case of assault is enough evidence...?).
Well he spent a big chunk of Minagoroshi's staffroom apologizing for how he portrayed the child consultation center in Higurashi, and saying that they're not really like that...
Judoh is offline  
Old 2010-10-14, 15:57   Link #172
beatler556
Lawful Nuetral
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I don't like Maria much. She's too annoying and that uu~ sound drives me crazy.
beatler556 is offline  
Old 2010-10-15, 04:50   Link #173
C-chan
A mere observer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 18
She did annoyed me at first. But she was really cute and her attitude of forgiving people over and over again is really good. She may be creepy at times but I love the way she speaks whenever she turns into 'that' state. She speaks like an adult which makes her unique among the cousins.
__________________

Notes of A Normal Highschool Girl

Without love, it cannot be seen.
Without love, magic cannot be seen.
Without love, even the truth cannot be seen.


C-chan is offline  
Old 2010-10-15, 06:43   Link #174
Linkin Battler
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Italy :D
Send a message via MSN to Linkin Battler Send a message via Skype™ to Linkin Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disz View Post
I'm almost 100% sure she's being used.''Beatrice'' the culprit probably has been planning this ''game'' for a long time,so she probably toyed with Maria's mind to make it so she can fully creep people out at the time and make them believe in witches.Pretty much like telling one kid ''Santa died D:'' and making them learn about how santa ''died'' and when it's Christmas,that kid would surely tell everyone at the party.With all the commotion,the culprit would MURDE-steal presents.Then again the kid would just be asked who told her,and she would say the name.But in this case,the culprit went an extra level and dressed up and used the alias ''Beatrice''.
Imho Maria is being used by Beatrice, it's sufficient to see the way she acts when people die: she doesn't mind it for the simple reason she is convinced everyone will resurrect in the Golden Land praising her because she was right - while everyone else were wrong - and being happy, as Beatrice (I mean a character, probably Shannon, who disguises herself as Beatrice) told her. That is why she does not worry for everyone else's death. Also, imho she is connected with the culprit: the only person present in both the two scene where a letter appears without anyone knowing where it came from is Maria and I don't think that could be a coincidence. Also, in the second scene (Rosa, Battler and Maria in the parlor) she is very disappointed for the fact that they are quarrelling because of the letter instead of believing in magic, as she expected (or better, as the culprit, the one representing Beatrice, told her), while she cannot say it was her putting the letter (because obviously Beato told her absolutely not to do it.
__________________
Credit to censoredgrace for the avatar!
Linkin Battler is offline  
Old 2010-10-26, 09:59   Link #175
Mihara Yuki
I...I don't know...
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In front of my Golden Laptop
Send a message via Yahoo to Mihara Yuki
Even with cuteness and forgiving isn't giving me much reason why I should like Maria.
I just dislike her 'uu' ,and I think Maria is suspicious enough to become culprit (alright...maybe she was an accomplice because of her age )
__________________


I support Black Battler
Mihara Yuki is offline  
Old 2010-10-26, 14:07   Link #176
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
It's pretty much impossible for Maria to be a murderer due to her fanatic belief that a supernatural being is responsible.
AuraTwilight is offline  
Old 2010-10-26, 17:20   Link #177
Cao Ni Ma
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
It's pretty much impossible for Maria to be a murderer due to her fanatic belief that a supernatural being is responsible.
Dont discard the probability of a character being the culprit just because of how they act, because of their age or gender. Eliminating a person from a list of potential culprits should only be done after all the evidence is presented and only if it that evidence exonerates that person. I still have a lot of unanswered questions regarding Maria and in my view she's pretty high on the list of possible culprits or at the very least an accomplice.
Cao Ni Ma is offline  
Old 2010-10-26, 17:41   Link #178
Leafsnail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Maria sticks with Battler almost all the time, though.
Leafsnail is offline  
Old 2010-10-26, 17:52   Link #179
Cao Ni Ma
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
Maria sticks with Battler almost all the time, though.
Well of course, remember, as long as you hold her hand nothing bad will happen to you. If only Rosa had held her hand instead of the gun and the gold maybe she would have survived... dont worry Rosa, you solved one of the riddles but Maria solved them all...
Cao Ni Ma is offline  
Old 2010-10-26, 18:35   Link #180
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Dont discard the probability of a character being the culprit just because of how they act, because of their age or gender. Eliminating a person from a list of potential culprits should only be done after all the evidence is presented and only if it that evidence exonerates that person. I still have a lot of unanswered questions regarding Maria and in my view she's pretty high on the list of possible culprits or at the very least an accomplice.
Pieces are unable to act outside of their character; in other words, we can take the characterizations of everyone on the island as factual. If you're going to insist that Maria is knowingly implicit in the murderers, you're tantamount to saying she's aware that these murders aren't being done by Beatrice, which pretty much unravels every single piece of character development she's ever been given.

In other words, it's loveless and antithetical to the information we've been given. The only way Maria can be involved is if she is witlessly, unknowingly helping the murderer without being aware of the real consequences of her actions, which is consistent with her presented behavior of innocently reading threatening letters and the like.
AuraTwilight is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.