AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-10-11, 22:48   Link #201
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
This is not a problem for me online, however. I specifically joined this forum (and stopped lurking) so that I can socialize with other people who share my interests and know what the hell I am talking about.
Well, welcome to the forum. There's a fair percentage of forum members who share your interests and can communicate clearly.

It definitely HELPS to have people who have some knowledge of Japanese pop culture (even better to have some exposure to Japanese culture in general).

I've found the hobby (like many hobbies) is a bit like an MMO. 50% or more of the participants are "idiots" (narutards, griefers, brain-dead, monomaniacs, etc) and your goal is to filter out that noise to find the people you actually enjoy interacting with
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 23:12   Link #202
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Vexx that analogy is just great and I agree with .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Find the person's auto-messaging system (AIM, MSN, etc, etc) get web-cam and bam unless you are shy of showing your face to strangers online.
If you're scared to show your face, then just use voice as there are things like skype with just voice chat rather than video chat .
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 23:58   Link #203
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol I use Facebook (I joined when it was nearly hopeless to find someone who uses YM...) or YM
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 18:36   Link #204
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Find the person's auto-messaging system (AIM, MSN, etc, etc) get web-cam and bam unless you are shy of showing your face to strangers online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
If you're scared to show your face, then just use voice as there are things like skype with just voice chat rather than video chat .
Just doesn't give that same exhilarating feeling of going insane while debating with your friends xD (Just had a huge war with my friend on whether traveling back in time is possible... If only she watched anime!)

I'd love to be able to share with a lot more anime fans. A lot of the obvious ones at my school are too shy/snobby to talk to, too "uneducated" on anything beyond the typical popular ones, or hide their power levels too well. I have a feeling anime club is gonna be full of painfully shy and quiet fans or fangirls...
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 18:54   Link #205
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
I'd love to be able to share with a lot more anime fans. A lot of the obvious ones at my school are too shy/snobby to talk to, too "uneducated" on anything beyond the typical popular ones, or hide their power levels too well. I have a feeling anime club is gonna be full of painfully shy and quiet fans or fangirls...
Almost all new members for Anime Clubs start off pretty shy here, about 3/4~4/5 of them do, but like me most of them have been become gradually less shy around others in the club as they spent more time with it.
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 00:25   Link #206
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Rift
I have dozens of friends who are into anime. I even know some jocks who watches more anime shows than me. I guess anime is a normal hobby in an asian country like the Philippines...
grandchaosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 06:24   Link #207
Ballad
robots & skateboards
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NS, Canada
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
A lot of the obvious ones at my school are too shy/snobby to talk to, too "uneducated" on anything beyond the typical popular ones, or hide their power levels too well. I have a feeling anime club is gonna be full of painfully shy and quiet fans or fangirls...
Oh goodness, I agree with you. It'd be so cool to talk about anything anime with anyone at my school but the people who watch it are so bad at hiding their power level or basically anything less than being retarded, it's scary. An anime club at my school would be full of crazy people who the social population agrees to not really look down upon, but not take seriously. So anime clubs at my school for the most part would equal social suicide. Not that I myself mind what people think of it, but when it's killing your social image AND the people are crazy, it's not really worth it.
Ballad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 11:26   Link #208
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Under the piercing blue sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
or hide their power levels too well
I LOL'd at this, this is so true in my experience, I know some people who are like that.
__________________
Coldlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 23:29   Link #209
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
lol I use Facebook (I joined when it was nearly hopeless to find someone who uses YM...) or YM
Me personally.. I dont like Facebook... Never used it, never will... I get asked what my facebook is by alot of people, but I just tell them that I have none
__________________
MyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: Hooves
Signature from: Patchy
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 00:02   Link #210
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Me personally.. I dont like Facebook... Never used it, never will... I get asked what my facebook is by alot of people, but I just tell them that I have none
I never had one until earlier this year over the summer, but few persistent friends got me to get one, but I don't not really sure I use it enough to justify having it , seriously I use it about once every two weeks or so .
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 16:28   Link #211
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
A lonely hobby, eh? I think that might be true, but it all depends on the person, after all.

Otaku are everywhere in the world, but they are also always minority, that's why we can't really talk about our hobby openly. There are even numerous segmentation between otakus, right? some people like moe, while the other one like mecha, and so on. I believe this applies to the other hobbies too, not limited only to otaku.
Ryonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 10:53   Link #212
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
My friend and I were gonna start an anime club at our high school. Another friend and his friends were going to as well. Unfortunately, these couple of girls started it before us.

So here I am with a couple friends thinking, "Oh wow! This is a perfect chance to chat with other people about great anime, play some awesome Street Fighter together, and discover great series I haven't heard of before!"

During our club fair, I walk over to see the anime board.
The anime on display: Naruto, Inuyasha, Cardcaptor Sakura, Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alch(e)mist, and D Grey-Man.

My inner snob is coming out. I'm fearful. But I'll go anyways, haha. Just cause the staff doesn't share the same sort of interest in anime as I do doesn't mean the club won't!
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 16:33   Link #213
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
My friend and I were gonna start an anime club at our high school. Another friend and his friends were going to as well. Unfortunately, these couple of girls started it before us.

So here I am with a couple friends thinking, "Oh wow! This is a perfect chance to chat with other people about great anime, play some awesome Street Fighter together, and discover great series I haven't heard of before!"

During our club fair, I walk over to see the anime board.
The anime on display: Naruto, Inuyasha, Cardcaptor Sakura, Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alch(e)mist, and D Grey-Man.

My inner snob is coming out. I'm fearful. But I'll go anyways, haha. Just cause the staff doesn't share the same sort of interest in anime as I do doesn't mean the club won't!
Are they talking about Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood? Or the previous version of Fullmetal Alchemist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
A lonely hobby, eh? I think that might be true, but it all depends on the person, after all.

Otaku are everywhere in the world, but they are also always minority, that's why we can't really talk about our hobby openly. There are even numerous segmentation between otakus, right? some people like moe, while the other one like mecha, and so on. I believe this applies to the other hobbies too, not limited only to otaku.
Yep, and the anime "Ore no Imouto" brings up a possible discussion between 2 otakus
__________________
MyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: Hooves
Signature from: Patchy
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 17:15   Link #214
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Yep, and the anime "Ore no Imouto" brings up a possible discussion between 2 otakus
Yeah, that episode shows us even if we meet an otaku with different taste, it's a relief to meet one XD
Ryonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 17:29   Link #215
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
Yeah, that episode shows us even if we meet an otaku with different taste, it's a relief to meet one XD
Defiantly , even if the discussion may involve.... Some very scary threats to the opposing side (otaku vs otaku) its still a friendly chat between the two to finally talk about animes, and finally let out all the things they always wanted to chat with another person about an anime
__________________
MyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: Hooves
Signature from: Patchy
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 21:23   Link #216
OtakuLuna13
Dumb Burnette
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Unknown.
Honestly, I only discuss anime with other anime people, so it doesn't feel like a lonely hobby.

For example, since I'm dirt poor, I have to go to the library to get some new manga material. And while I'm there, there is usually someone else there, reading manga on the floor, or I can't find the freakin volume I want, which reminds me that I'm not the only person who reads manga.

And Anime cons. Those places are the greatest places on Earth for me. (I have no life. ) They're fun, and I can discuss games and anime with other, living people, and they won't look at me like I'm on something.

Thank god I have friends who actually go to the cons with me though. I'm too shy to go alone. (That just contradicted my entire post, didn't it? )
__________________

--------Ɖσ Ɩ ℓσσκ ℓικɛ αи Δиɢɛℓ σғ Ĵʋƨтιcɛ тσ ʏσʋ?---------
OtakuLuna13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 21:47   Link #217
secretzfan
Senior Member
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Slaping Mayuri Kurotsuchi around in Quincy Town :D
You know at a time it did feel like a lonely hobby, but now that I have joined anime club it doesn't feel so lonely anymore
__________________
secretzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 17:32   Link #218
legonut3
I BELIEVE IN HERVEY DENT!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I would have to agree that watching Anime is not one of the most popular things to do in America. I only know some people who have even heard of shows like Bleach, and they say "is that the japanese thing?".
I watch shows that that you really wouldn't want to have others around you, like Persona: Trinity Soul and Elfen Lied. I believe that some animes have a very profound meaning behind the cartoon animation, which many people stop at and think: this is a kids show.
some endings to shows like Code Geass make me cry, in which I would not do in front of my friends. Anime also makes me very depressed sometimes, but I like it.
__________________

Do you stain you hands with evil to destroy evil, or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to the evil? - Code Geass
legonut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 18:31   Link #219
CMHerrera
Miss. Fangirl
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In a land where Shota's and Bishounens live in a vast land full of suger filled meadows.
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to CMHerrera
At lunch I sit with a whole group of anime fans with mostly the same tastes as I do , and I joined this forum so I am not lonely.
I understand why it could be a lonely hobby but most of the people around me accept it.
__________________



CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMHerrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 15:19   Link #220
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in the wild
Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra Send a message via Skype™ to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuLuna13 View Post
For example, since I'm dirt poor, I have to go to the library to get some new manga material. And while I'm there, there is usually someone else there, reading manga on the floor, or I can't find the freakin volume I want, which reminds me that I'm not the only person who reads manga.
Since I often go for a quick peek into book shops or shops that specialize in manga I often run into people there, but they always seem to be scared of me D: Despite me always smiling to strangers.

I'm really thankful that two of my closest friends are anime fans as well so we occasionally watch something together or plan a whole night with self made sushi. We do talk often about it, too. Just the other day we bickered about the hottest guy in Bleach . Fangirling to the max.

An ex co-worker is a big fan, too. He has such a freaking big collection! His whole bedroom wall is full of books and mangas. His living room is invaded by a shitload of DVDs and games. He even has a little cabinet for his figurines, of course with light! Oh and he has a Katana on display, too!
He also introduced me to his friends who are gamers and/or anime lovers as well, so I'm pretty lucky since I know quite a few people in my proximity who share my hobby.

But I was always the lone girl in my class who loved games and later anime back at school

But even so I know many people who love anime as much as I do (or even way more) the shows we like differ a lot. Or they're just not as invested in that particular series as much as I am. That's when the internet and boards like animesuki come in handy

So I do watch most of my anime alone and discuss most of them online only, but I gotta say that anime doesn't have to be a lonely hobby. If you're lucky that is.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.