AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-13, 18:43   Link #1
Brodicon

Anime Newbie

Hello everyone! I just want to make a clean introduction into these forums. I'm new to animes aside from watching the common movies, but I've never watched anime shows until my friend introduced me to Naruto. Now it's literally taking over my life. I can't wait for each and every episode to come out. But alas, I need something new while I wait for the new episodes to come out. I don't want to waist my time looking for reviews so I figured I would go right to the source, you guys/gals. Please make some recommendations. I love Naruto because it combines drama, action, humour, and amazing music. So, I'd want something along those lines. Please let me know.

Also, I might have put this thread in the wrong area. If I did I apologize.
Old 2004-09-13, 18:59   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodicon
Also, I might have put this thread in the wrong area. If I did I apologize.
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad that you are learning to enjoy (nay, obsess over) anime. Unfortunately you did put this thread into the wrong area. Applogy accepted. If you'd like to learn how not to make such errors in the future you should check out Learn how to post. After you watch the video, please try to figure out how many errors you made.

Spoiler for answer:

As for suggestions,

Konjiki no Gash Bell!! is the perfect show for you. The music is wonderful, the drama is riveting, the humor is hysterical and the action is quite intense. It is the story of a boy and his demon which looks kind of like a Pokemon rip-off at first until you realize that it is actually nothing like it at all. In my (not-so) humble opinion this is one of the best shows on AnimeSuki, yet for some reason few people have ever seen it.

Air Master: Drama, Action, Humor and Music were your criteria and this anime certainly fits the bill with an emphasis on Humor. The animation is a bit odd and puts a lot of first time viewers off before they can really get into it, but if you stick with it for a couple of episodes you will either hate it with a passion or love it with a passion. Either way, I promise you will feel passionately about this show.

Enjoy!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-09-13, 20:23   Link #3
hooliganj
Team Player

Wow, schooled by NSW right out of the gate. That's gotta hurt.

Rather than cross post, I'll just link to the thread where I put in the most work. Not every suggestion fits your question completely, but you will probably enjoy most of them, and all the titles I listed are available on AnimeSuki.

And I offer you a cheerful welcome to the forums.
Old 2004-09-14, 04:01   Link #4
Brodicon

Thanks for the well explained answers and also the link. I will check them out!
Old 2004-09-14, 08:57   Link #5
Yoska
フランキー

You probably like other similar boys fantasy action titles.

Hunter x Hunter is very similar to Naruto. Protagonists even have same VA.
It's about hunters which are kind of national adventurers + fighters of it's fantasy world.

One Piece is one of the biggest franchise in Japan. It's the new bigger and better Dragonball. You could say Naruto is like Dragonball (Z) in it's late days and One Piece is like Dragonball in it's begining (with out tornaments). It's about fantasy pirates.

Bleach is starting in Japan in following month. It's about gods of death in japanese custom. Mostly about people fighting each others with fantasy sword powers. Cooler than all other series here combined.

Fullmetal Alchemist is about alchemists. I haven't watch it but I have heard a lot good about it. Different from the great comic.

Others series you should check out are Shaman King, Yu Yu Hakusho and Saint Seiya.
Old 2004-09-14, 17:24   Link #6
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

I think every single anime newbie needs to go out and purchase Great Teacher Onizuka. Best anime ever created. It's got everything you could ever want in an anime, and yet it's the least cliche'd anime I've ever seen.
Old 2004-09-14, 17:44   Link #7
Aquillion

I recommend that you look over animenfo's Top 100 list. Although you shouldn't take an episode's exact ranking too seriously, those shows tend to be the most well-known and well-liked series in their respective genres; watching a selection from there will give you an idea of what kind of things you like, which will in turn make it easier to find similar, more obscure shows in the future.
Old 2004-09-18, 10:46   Link #8
CaiSter21

if u like naruto, then ul love full metal alchemist
its about on the same line of naruto, action/comedy
also try out both the full metal panic series. the first one is the main story line and is mainly action, but the second series is mainly comedy

there is also a rumor that the third series might be coming out
Old 2004-09-21, 06:55   Link #9
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

Send a message via AIM to Rx_Fink
FLCL is perfect for you and also just the most perfect thing ever created by human hands.

You'll definitely want to check out Cowboy Bebop and Read or Die TV series too

Other good ones include:
Trigun
Big O
Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai

Last edited by Rx_Fink; 2004-09-21 at 09:46.
Old 2004-10-06, 23:25   Link #10
Brodicon

I Need Something Better!

I searched everywhere for these forums on my last thread, but i cant find it anywhere. i guess ill just start over and re-explain my situation. i love naruto. one would go as far as saying that im obsessed with it, but im a newb to anime (im getting better). ive watched a few konjiki no gash bell!!!, hunter x hunter, and some air master, but there is something missing. I need the involving story, clean anime and good drama. konjiki no gash bell is pretty cool, but a little kiddish imo. hunter x hunter's anime is ugly. airmaster is bad ass, but its too much of the same thing and no involving story to speak of. I need something better. Please help me. im suffering!
Old 2004-10-06, 23:52   Link #11
Ookla The Mok

Try Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch Pure! I'm sure it will hit the spot.
Old 2004-10-07, 00:18   Link #12
Brodicon

long name! thanks!
Closed Thread