AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2003-12-01, 15:13   Link #21
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias
Spoiler for Episode 14 below:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 04:55   Link #22
Rias
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Well it is yomiko's voice at the end...

Rias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 01:16   Link #23
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Spoiler:
really, too bad after seeing ep13 I really thought we get to see Yomiko in the next episode. by the way ep13 was awesome too bad

Spoiler:
__________________
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 03:57   Link #24
Seta
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Send a message via ICQ to Seta Send a message via AIM to Seta
Episode 13 was an awesome, awesome episode. They were able to fit so much action and plot in to that episode and still make it coherent.
Spoiler:
Seta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 22:11   Link #25
Xeiliex
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Send a message via AIM to Xeiliex
Gah.....13 was awesome and I wondered how anita gets to go to school japan again...but they didn't have take out the whole city. a couple of million people diedthat shouldn't have, I don't know whats worse, them dying or my being happy that anita can go to school in japan again.
Xeiliex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 09:21   Link #26
tanuki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeiliex
Gah.....13 was awesome and I wondered how anita gets to go to school japan again...but they didn't have take out the whole city. a couple of million people diedthat shouldn't have, I don't know whats worse, them dying or my being happy that anita can go to school in japan again.
The ending for 13 left me with mixed emotions as well...I thought the self destruct when triggered was limited to just the building since an announcement was made for everyone inside to evacuate the facility. Perhaps Joker and Wendy thought the same thing since they were in a building that belonged to the enemy and might not have known all of it's secrets. Or maybe both the British and Chinese sides in this just don't care what they destroy or how many people die along the way so long as they can reach their ultimate goal.

After watching 14 the recap appears to leave the only likely candidates for the position of "good guys" being The Paper, the three paper sisters, the author, and maybe Junior depending on how things turn out. Wish the episode provided additional background info on Junior though...like whether he was created artificially from Nancy's cells since he seems to share her ability to shift part or all of his body out of phase at will so objects pass harmlessly through him.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 15:23   Link #27
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: GTO = Best anime. Ever. Thanks.
Age: 33
Guys. Someone has to explain to me what when down in episode 13, please. Why did the building self destruct? Why did it take China with it? What was the "committee" that abandoned the institution? I don't know if I missed something in a past episode or what, but I was just totally confused.

Also, I was under the impression that water was the bane of the paper users. How did Anita's paper bubble and Maggies gondola not get soaked after the flood? Was that paper laminated?
__________________
LiQuid|J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 15:55   Link #28
Rias
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
Guys. Someone has to explain to me what when down in episode 13, please. Why did the building self destruct? Why did it take China with it? What was the "committee" that abandoned the institution? I don't know if I missed something in a past episode or what, but I was just totally confused.

Also, I was under the impression that water was the bane of the paper users. How did Anita's paper bubble and Maggies gondola not get soaked after the flood? Was that paper laminated?
Well the building self destructed becuased it was the will of "the committee" wanted to abandon the facility. Well it only took out hong kong (probably just hk island, not sure). Mr.Joker probably had something to do with it too, remember the helicopter scene with the box...there are still questions remained unanswered even after epsiode 14...

As for water and paper issue...it's really an open thing...recall in the OVA Yumiko used a soaked paper to pick a lock, and in the Manga Yumiko battled a fire user with paper...
Rias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 16:34   Link #29
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
Guys. Someone has to explain to me what when down in episode 13, please. Why did the building self destruct? Why did it take China with it? What was the "committee" that abandoned the institution? I don't know if I missed something in a past episode or what, but I was just totally confused.
They blew up the building to cover their activities. Pretty dramatic response to the three sister's infiltration, but I guess they've got the resources to justify it. The "committee" seems to be the governing group of Dokusensha (sp??).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
Also, I was under the impression that water was the bane of the paper users. How did Anita's paper bubble and Maggies gondola not get soaked after the flood? Was that paper laminated?
This comes down to power. It was specified in the manga that Yomiko's power is so strong that paper will even defend her if it is burned to ash. She also uses soggy paper in the OVA. Let's just say that this is evidence that Anita's power is stronger than anyone suspects. Perhaps if she accepts her affection for reading, she might be strong enough to beat Wong.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 21:52   Link #30
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hawaii
just seen ep14, found it quite informative of what the hell was going on

Spoiler:
__________________
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 00:34   Link #31
Xeiliex
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Send a message via AIM to Xeiliex
14 filled in all the needed details between the OVA and the series. I am not one to like recaps but this was a very good episode.

in my opinion it is no long clear who is the true "bad guy" I think the next pair of episodes will clear that up though
Xeiliex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 02:58   Link #32
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: GTO = Best anime. Ever. Thanks.
Age: 33
Quote:
This comes down to power. It was specified in the manga that Yomiko's power is so strong that paper will even defend her if it is burned to ash. She also uses soggy paper in the OVA. Let's just say that this is evidence that Anita's power is stronger than anyone suspects. Perhaps if she accepts her affection for reading, she might be strong enough to beat Wong.
That would be a viable explanation, though the fact remains that the water/paper thing has been inconsistent. Not just between the show and the OVA. Just a few episodes ago (I think it was the boobie episode - I coulda sword it was the one with Drake in it) the sister's water got splashed and all the sudden it was too soggy for them to use, now in 13 they are completely submerged and able to control it? Not to mention maggie was even able use paper as a boat. It wasn't just Anita in 13 who used wet water.

As for the explanation for why they sank Hong Kong, it still sounds kind of ludicrous to me. There was no real reason behind it that I can tell. I've rewatched the scene at the beginning of the evac, and the only thing I can tell, they just stuck the book in the machine and the "no" light popped up. Does anyone know what that was referring to? And who the hell is Joker talking to in that scene? From about 10:00, to 10:20? The only other person in the room is Wendy, and he's not on the phone. Is he talking to the commitee? If so, anyone know how? Am I being needlessly confused by stuff that doesn't have answers, yet will probably be answered soon? I'm really loving this show, but these last few episodes have just given me a huge headache, regardless of all the great action in them.
__________________
LiQuid|J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 03:56   Link #33
Go-lytely
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Springfield
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
That would be a viable explanation, though the fact remains that the water/paper thing has been inconsistent. Not just between the show and the OVA. Just a few episodes ago (I think it was the boobie episode - I coulda sword it was the one with Drake in it) the sister's water got splashed and all the sudden it was too soggy for them to use, now in 13 they are completely submerged and able to control it? Not to mention maggie was even able use paper as a boat. It wasn't just Anita in 13 who used wet water.
I think one explanation is that if water touches paper before they can change its form then they are unable to use it. Yomiko, however, used the piece of paper in her hair that was floating in water so it doesnt hold for her or maybe the writers just thought "screw it, we cant explain it either".

Quote:
As for the explanation for why they sank Hong Kong, it still sounds kind of ludicrous to me. There was no real reason behind it that I can tell. I've rewatched the scene at the beginning of the evac, and the only thing I can tell, they just stuck the book in the machine and the "no" light popped up. Does anyone know what that was referring to? And who the hell is Joker talking to in that scene? From about 10:00, to 10:20? The only other person in the room is Wendy, and he's not on the phone. Is he talking to the commitee? If so, anyone know how? Am I being needlessly confused by stuff that doesn't have answers, yet will probably be answered soon? I'm really loving this show, but these last few episodes have just given me a huge headache, regardless of all the great action in them.
Looked like Dokusensha sunk Honk Kong to cover their activities. From what was shown in ep 14, the books carry...... I dont know what the 'no' button was for though. I thought Joker was talking to the Dokusensha people on the computer screen. Watch ep 14, it fills in a lot of gaps
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 05:40   Link #34
Rebochan
Clubbing
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 30
Heh, I feel bad for reccomending this seris to a friend of mine now - I'll have to let him now to stop watching until he gets the OVA or Episode 14 will utterly ruin it.


14 answers a few nagging questions (ESPECIALLY the ones hanging around from the OAVs - who the Ijin were and why they existed was bothering me forever!), but opens up even more - in particular, just who was responsible for sinking Hong Kong? I had gotten the impression Joker had something to with it...and he is REALLY creeping me out the more I see him. Since I know he turned out to be a bad guy in the manga, I've had so many suspicions of him.

Oh, and I think Episode 14 easily removes the whole ROD series from normal continuity, because I sure don't remember Great Britain being throw out of the UN in 2000 Though I had my suspicions the world was meant to be separate when Episode 2 showed the George W. Bush parody to be named "al Gore." Oh, and now I can't get David Bowie out of my head...Jiggy Stardust indeed...
__________________
(Too lame for a sig.)
Rebochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 05:47   Link #35
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Iserlohn Fortress
Age: 31
Well I was once a HK resident so I was kinda mad that they'd sunk my native home.
Anyways, here is a bit of geography lesson. Hong Kong is made up of 2 large islands and a peninsula (ignore the remaining small islands) From what I can tell, it was only the Hong Kong Island that went submerge, while the Kowloon Peninsula and the Lantau Island remain surfaced ...

Episode 14 really solve a lot of mysteries.
Spoiler:
144M_HYPERION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 11:19   Link #36
Sanjiyan
Flag Supporter
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: My Home is my Body
As for the water vs. paper issue, in episode 9, there was two instances of water "winning" against paper, but first time is when the paper is still paper [not imbued with power yet] while the second time in the cavern, one can see that Michele's bow turn to soggy paper after hit by water, so it seems like water can have effect on both situation.

While the idea about stronger paper power could overcome water could be true and definitely sounds plausible to me, I have made one observation from the TV series (don't remember the OVA so well now). That is both times the water that were "thrown" at those paper users is warm water. First time was hot tea and second time, warm water from the "lake". Remember there was some sort of light inside the dome that makes the water warm.

Guess that would be one possible way to explain the boat and bubble from Episode 13 for now.
Sanjiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 16:11   Link #37
Yellat
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nor cal
Send a message via AIM to Yellat
Spoiler:
Yellat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 04:01   Link #38
FlyByNite
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellat
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 06:26   Link #39
Yellat
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nor cal
Send a message via AIM to Yellat
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Spoiler:
they dont really explain why, guess we can just make up our own reasons, must be the accents, pissed off bush/gore/who ever is president then/in charge finally. id say that this series probably improving a little as each episode goes by. also is there a way to change a thread title, i think we should rename this thread to general rod tv if possible.
Yellat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 06:30   Link #40
Yellat
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nor cal
Send a message via AIM to Yellat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjiyan
As for the water vs. paper issue, in episode 9, there was two instances of water "winning" against paper, but first time is when the paper is still paper [not imbued with power yet] while the second time in the cavern, one can see that Michele's bow turn to soggy paper after hit by water, so it seems like water can have effect on both situation.

While the idea about stronger paper power could overcome water could be true and definitely sounds plausible to me, I have made one observation from the TV series (don't remember the OVA so well now). That is both times the water that were "thrown" at those paper users is warm water. First time was hot tea and second time, warm water from the "lake". Remember there was some sort of light inside the dome that makes the water warm.

Guess that would be one possible way to explain the boat and bubble from Episode 13 for now.
maybe they need a certain amount of time to prepare to deal with water/paper interaction. a little general, vague, and possibly idotic idea, but one way to look at it.
Yellat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.