AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-10-20, 08:05   Link #81
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 27
Firefox is the main one for me. It's the extensions that really make it great. BBCodeXtra, DM BBCode, Resizable Textarea, and Back to Top make using forums so much easier.

I do use IE for secure transactions though. I feel it's a little safer and compatible with more websites as well.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 08:08   Link #82
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
This is surprising, but oh well...

As a follow-up to my previous post, the Opera Team has eventually decided to conclude the 10.6x series by NOT releasing the final 10.70 build.

Instead, they've chosen to go directly to 11.00 alpha which IS based on what should've been 10.70.
And they will have extension support in the alpha of 11?
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 08:58   Link #83
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 28
Excerpt from http://news.softpedia.com/news/Opera...e-161194.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by softpedia article
Opera 11 was unveiled to the world on October 14th, with the promise that it will bring Extensions to the table.

“Extensions in Opera is a way for you to easily add new functionality to your Opera browser experience. Developers can easily create extensions using open standards (HTML5, CSS, JavaScript) and supported APIs,” noted Opera’s Espen André Øverdahl.

“Extensions will be based on the W3C Widget specifications and this is being considered for an Open Standard effort.”

The promise from Opera Software is that developers will be able to leverage an API (application programming interface) in order to build extensions for Opera 11.

But devs will only be able to start developing and publish projects after Opera 11 Alpha ships.

“With the first iteration of Opera Extensions we are focusing on open web standards and 'getting it right'. Our alpha release supports injectable JavaScript, callouts, certain UI items and a basic Tabs and Windows API,” Øverdahl added.


Still, with this week’s announcements from Opera Software, developers will not have too much to wait until they will be able to start extending the browser.
Looks like a "yes".
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 09:18   Link #84
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
GREAT! Can't wait for the usual stuff to get ported so I can ditch FF.

I just hope they they don't mess up their current performance with this... but we'll see.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 09:58   Link #85
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 33
Using Firefox 3.6.10 here, it simply works the best for me. Second place goes to Opera, which is suffering from the lack of extensions.

Chrome is not only 100% Google spyware, but also anything you do in Chrome belongs to Google, as pointed out in their Eula. They own anything you do in Chrome and can do anything whatsoever with it, including modifying it however they see fit, selling it to 3rd parties etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Chrome End User Licence Agreement

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.
Internet Exploder is likewise to be avoided. It has more security holes than a swiss cheese and also has only poor support of web standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
11.00 will reportedly have its own extension platform based on the W3C Widget Specification, one that will support injectable JavaScript, callouts, UI items and a basic Tabs and Windows API.
Good, extensions where always the one thing that was seriously lacking in Opera. I really wonder why it took them this long to finally add them.
__________________
Himeji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 10:33   Link #86
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
Good, extensions where always the one thing that was seriously lacking in Opera. I really wonder why it took them this long to finally add them.
My best guess would be lack of standards worth supporting.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 19:46   Link #87
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Looking for Reason to hear it's voice
Age: 3
Send a message via AIM to thevil1
I switched to Google's chrome, but I changed back to FF when I found out how much chrome crashes. It has something to do with the engine that chrome uses that allows them to gain more speed while sacrificing system stability. Something like that. Someone tried to explain it to me, and I was like "DURRR"
__________________
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles - Christopher Reeve
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 20:23   Link #88
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
I use all four: Chrome, FF, Opera, IE. My primary is chrome, but whenever it crashes or acts funny, I switch to the others. The crashes are starting to bug me lately -_-

I use the other three depending on the website I'm trying to open, some looks best in a certain browser.
Ryonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 01:23   Link #89
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
Still using Firefox (as long as no other add-ons except Noscript is installed -- the more add-ons you load in, the bigger plugin-container.exe becomes bigger); tried Chrome but sometimes it becomes buggy while running along with a Gameguard-enabled MMO.

In case I need to go lean-and-mean, I use Lynx.
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 01:58   Link #90
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 28
Opera v11 Build 1029 Alpha is now available for download.

Screenshots of the extension platform:

- http://www.opera.com/bitmaps/product...installing.png
- http://www.opera.com/bitmaps/product...win_ext_yr.png
- http://www.opera.com/bitmaps/product...xt_manager.png
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 23:56   Link #91
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Still using Firefox (as long as no other add-ons except Noscript is installed -- the more add-ons you load in, the bigger plugin-container.exe becomes bigger); tried Chrome but sometimes it becomes buggy while running along with a Gameguard-enabled MMO.

In case I need to go lean-and-mean, I use Lynx.
If you stop playing all "gameguard" or nProtect games - you might want to read this article on how to remove it.

http://www.brighthub.com/video-games...cles/1709.aspx
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 07:12   Link #92
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If you stop playing all "gameguard" or nProtect games - you might want to read this article on how to remove it.

http://www.brighthub.com/video-games...cles/1709.aspx
Thanks I know what to do with this necessary evil; haven't got much of a problem as (being an MMO player for more than four years) I've read most of the articles concerning its incompatibility with some programs and versions of Windows, and even compiled a DOS-based remover for it.

(With a virtual chaebol monopoly within the South Korean MMO development industry, I think Gameguard's gonna stay longer, even as I criticize its "protection" methods for the games it's supposed to shield, but deeper discussion about Gameguard will warrant a thread of its own.)

Going back to topic, I liked Chrome at first -- it was fast, responsive, and somewhat has smarts built into it -- but as there are some bugs cropping up, I'm sticking to FF because it can be customized and tweaked, and IMHO a bit "fail-soft".
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 08:47   Link #93
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
Chrome is not only 100% Google spyware, but also anything you do in Chrome belongs to Google, as pointed out in their Eula. They own anything you do in Chrome and can do anything whatsoever with it, including modifying it however they see fit, selling it to 3rd parties etc.
Quote:
11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.
Source? Here's what http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?hl=en says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10. Content license from you

10.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11. Software updates

11.1 The Software which you use may automatically download and install updates from time to time from Google. These updates are designed to improve, enhance and further develop the Services and may take the form of bug fixes, enhanced functions, new software modules and completely new versions. You agree to receive such updates (and permit Google to deliver these to you) as part of your use of the Services.
Note: There is no 10.2 or 11.2

Just for the record, I've used it several times and it's just a resource hog, who consumes ram, CPU cycles and bandwidth even when its not running; so no love from me.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 11:36   Link #94
Rhythm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Ever since I started using chrome, I've never stopped. Just executing it then loading up a web page....it does it in like half the time IE would. The themes IMO are also > Firefox persona's.
Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 15:33   Link #95
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Running firefox/minefield x64 on my lappy (win7) and firefox 3.6 on my WinXp machine, IE is pretty much used as alternative, if some sites don't show up properly. As for chrome, use it sometimes.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 16:19   Link #96
Ending
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
I'm currently using Firefox and waiting for the next update to speed it up. It's starting to feel a little bloated and I gave a try to SRWare Iron (a Chrome variant without the potential privacy issues), but FF has a few add-ons that trump the other browsers: Better Privacy, NoScript, Ghostery, FireFTP, and StumbleUpon.

Switched back, since saving half a second in loading times wasn't worth it in comparison. It was nice, though, that Iron could import all the bookmarks and passwords with one click. It's also something that made me question the security of FF. Ye, I know; it's possible to lock the passwords behind a master key, but that's yet another password to remember.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 19:35   Link #97
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Making people too mad to respond
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Personally, I hate every browser, but especially IE. Chrome, having that same "where the hell is the menu" kinda look pisses me off too, -plus google seems to like insisting on installing its update programs and whatnot. IE 8 was less pathetic and more like an actual browser, but meh, still not convincing. I pretty much only use it to download another browser on a new system.

Firefox has been my browser of choice for a long time, but that has more to do having a lot of choices for customization as well as the great library of extensions. It's also not IE. Indeed, noscript is God, and is the reason I haven't used any other browser.

However, Firefox seems to be getting less and less reliable. 3.5 was absolute trash and I've had it fail to startup on a fresh install- I turned off updates for a long time til 3.6. Apparently someone had the bright idea of making it read the IE cache or something; I just facepalmed. That and the community kinda annoys me with their frequent blaming everything on the user, and stuff like refusing to admit there was a memory leak for the last 10 millon versions. It's getting more and more bloated. 3.6 is better though, though that plugin-container.exe crap annoys me.

For this reason, I recommend for casual browsers who don't care about addons and such to use Opera. Opera performs very well in most cases and it seems faster than firefox, addons or not. So it is my backup browser. It may become my primary browser depending on what happens next.
__________________
God damn, there's so much bad fanservice out there. Touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you!
You are about to move into areas of the anime industry with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-11-28 at 19:59.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 04:09   Link #98
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
For this reason, I recommend for casual browsers who don't care about addons and such to use Opera.
Opera has extensions starting with 11.x

Also, it would seem (for now) IE9 is the most technologically advanced browser out there.

The upcoming Firefox 4.x series seems to want to be the crappiest series to date.

If you don't like chrome you can use Safari, both have practically the same layout engine; it has it's own downloader nonsense but you should be able to turn it off. Another alternative is Iron.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 08:21   Link #99
demonix
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hayes, Middx UK
Age: 34
Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
and stuff like refusing to admit there was a memory leak for the last 10 millon versions.
That's because there never was a memory leak as the browser cache is committed to the computers memory (try clearing the browsers cache whilst looking at the memory footprint of firefox.exe and I'm sure you'll see a sudden drop in memory usage).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 20:36   Link #100
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Balanga City, Bataan, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
Quote:
The upcoming Firefox 4.x series seems to want to be the crappiest series to date.
Yeah, it has bad implentation of Hardware Acceleration. It litterally hogs memory and is just bad, speed-wise.
__________________
Mercury Lampe
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.