AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2010-10-26, 21:33   Link #1
mangatron
I <3 Oneesan's!

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
The Playstation Phone

It seems to be a reality:

Playstation phone

Quick [speculated] rundown:

-Android 3.0
-1GHz Qualcomm processor
-512mb RAM
-1GB ROM
Screen size between 3.7 to 4 inches

What I find strange about this though, is this the PSP2 that some game developers said they had? While said developer (sorry, don't have a link) said the PSP2 is much faster, I guess 1GHz fast is well, fast. Interesting thing to note is the 1GHz chip used here is what I'd like to call the 2nd gen Snapdragon, which someone said it perfectly: gen 1 Snapdragon is like 1000 small pipes versus the gen 2's 1000 big pipes, as in smaller nm process = better power savings and better management of processor speed.

Another thing to note is, those alledged developer reports of currently having the PSP2, if this phone really is it, why would they code for an commercially unreleased OS (Android 3.0), as the final product may very well be drastically change (although if these developers are basically android coding then it would make sense). Another thing I find difficult to digest, is that rooting an Android PSPhone = piracy hell. Why would Sony use Android as an OS for their gaming platform if there's the high risk of custom firmware showing up in week 1 of release? It wouldn't take long for people to flash custom roms on this, which would definitely be very tough to combat considering their X10 phone released with Android 1.6 in a world of 2.2's (as in, will they really keep up with OS updates to combat custom ROM'ers?)

Of course, the Sony now doesn't exactly dictate the Sony later on, so it will be interesting to see how this all turns out (supposing this PSPhone does go to fruitition)

I'm being bombed!
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 04:32   Link #2
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Saw that one today too, but it seems to be a different product from PSP2. IIRC, some magazines has listed about a PSP phone some time ago.

It's missing analogue stick, replaced with the touch sensors. The rumored PSP2 was said to have those too, but located on the back instead. And it seems there's no UMD and Memory Card slot as well.

In the end, we don't know for sure right now
http://kotaku.com/5674144/the-playst...its-not-pretty
Ryonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 05:46   Link #3
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Touch sensor is a genius way to solve the dual analog problem. Intrigued...I am. It's probably going to be just as expensive as the 3DS with it being a phone and all. I'm assuming it's going to have all the smart phone functions and stuff.
Old 2010-10-27, 22:17   Link #4
mangatron
I <3 Oneesan's!

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
phone post

Lousy net problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
Saw that one today too, but it seems to be a different product from PSP2. IIRC, some magazines has listed about a PSP phone some time ago.

It's missing analogue stick, replaced with the touch sensors. The rumored PSP2 was said to have those too, but located on the back instead. And it seems there's no UMD and Memory Card slot as well.

In the end, we don't know for sure right now
http://kotaku.com/5674144/the-playst...its-not-pretty
I am heavily in doubt of this being the PSP2. Taking out a Duo slot for a MicroSD slot (not like it's new to Sony) would make most of the PSP players having to get new cards, unless they're like me and have a high card to device ratio, but really, while it's always been a dream to have a phone combined with a gaming handheld, this looks like it'll cost a hefty sum considering today's 1ghz Android phones unlocked, in which if this is carrier specific signing into a 2 year contract if someone wants to primarily play the newest PSP games is not fun.

Now one thing that made me question the existence of this phone, is that since I believe the PSP2 is a different product, how do tey even sell this alongside the PSP2? If these 2 come out at the same time, there'll be a marketing nightmare as the brick and mortar shopper might think having a phone and the next gen PSP in one would be a better purchase than a standalone PSP, not to mention if there really are 2 different devices, would someone want to carry both of these in there pockets? It's either a PSP and a phone, just a PSP, or this PSPhone. Hmm...

I'm being bombed!
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 22:25   Link #5
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*∀`)ノ

I thought playstation phone was a fake ?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 17:10   Link #6
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Now one thing that made me question the existence of this phone, is that since I believe the PSP2 is a different product, how do tey even sell this alongside the PSP2? If these 2 come out at the same time, there'll be a marketing nightmare as the brick and mortar shopper might think having a phone and the next gen PSP in one would be a better purchase than a standalone PSP, not to mention if there really are 2 different devices, would someone want to carry both of these in there pockets? It's either a PSP and a phone, just a PSP, or this PSPhone. Hmm...
Exactly what I'm wondering about...

And here's another info:
http://kotaku.com/5696055/where-ther...ion-phone-fire

Well, I think it's pretty much confirmed that this phone is a different product from the PSP2. I don't know how they decided to put a 2 different product to rival iPhone. Maybe the gaming phone has its own market after all.

Tags
handheld, playstation