AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-10-26, 21:13   Link #27561
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Hey, everyone, I'm not dead! But I have been gone from this esteemed thread for some time, so... how about an offering. Up on FF.net right here, we have the largest-yet chapter of Infinity!

Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe things just got a bit dramatic.

That said, I'm sure that I'll be correcting things for some time, won't I? I usually make a few errors, and I was approaching this chapter like it was a foe I had sword blood-vengeance on . There's probably mistakes abounding.

But that, my friends, is a worry for tomorrow.
All I have to say is, I apologize for leaving a short review for one of the most awesome things I've read in a long, long while.

EDIT: Pageclaim for awesome things!
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 21:20   Link #27562
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pennsylvania. It's sort of like a real state.
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Moczo Send a message via Skype™ to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
All I have to say is, I apologize for leaving a short review for one of the most awesome things I've read in a long, long while.

EDIT: Pageclaim for awesome things!
Thanks for the vote of awesome! I consider no chapter complete until it gets the Radiant Stamp of Approval.

And hey, better a short review than no review at all, I always say . The Nanoha fandom on ff.net is not great at that. Even a simple 'Hey, I liked the story' really does mean a lot, y'know?
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 22:09   Link #27563
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
And hey, better a short review than no review at all, I always say . The Nanoha fandom on ff.net is not great at that. Even a simple 'Hey, I liked the story' really does mean a lot, y'know?
That's what I always say. I try to lead by example and I always review whatever I read. So the fact that I haven't left a review means I'm not reading it Sorry Since few writers write about what I want to read about, I don't read that much. Sometimes I'll read stuff on whims, but only if they're short. If they grow into more and are interesting enough, I'll follow along, though. Like with deathcurse's Familiar Life fic. The interesting premise and ramifications thereof keep me reading despite it probably going to lean more towards NanoFate by the end of it.
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 22:28   Link #27564
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
That's what I always say. I try to lead by example and I always review whatever I read. So the fact that I haven't left a review means I'm not reading it Sorry Since few writers write about what I want to read about, I don't read that much. Sometimes I'll read stuff on whims, but only if they're short. If they grow into more and are interesting enough, I'll follow along, though. Like with deathcurse's Familiar Life fic. The interesting premise and ramifications thereof keep me reading despite it probably going to lean more towards NanoFate by the end of it.
Annnnnnnnd now I feel bad because I am a horrible reviewer. Even with the stuff I follow on a regular basis, I rarely ever leave a review because sometimes I don't know what to say other than "That was most awesome". I'm the type who thinks that if you're going to review something, you should use that opportunity to comment on something in particular that caught your attention or whatever. Otherwise I just never bother because to me, saying "That was good" or anything else doesn't feel like enough. Which is part of why I was apologizing earlier to Moczo. I don't like leaving short reviews unless I really want to say something, but can't comment on one specific thing.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 22:49   Link #27565
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
sometimes I don't know what to say other than "That was most awesome".
Looks like you know exactly what to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
saying "That was good" or anything else doesn't feel like enough.
Saying nothing at all is even less than that, though. Sorry to put you on the spot, but not seeing you say anything about the fics I wrote for you made me feel like you didn't care about them and were ignoring them completely. I felt horrible about it and that led to much unpleasentness as you're aware...

Well it was my bad for forcing my views on you, I guess. Everyone has their own way of going about things so do what feels best for you.

(Though it must be said that authors have no idea readers are reading something unless the readers tell them so)
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 22:51   Link #27566
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maine
Age: 42
Ahh, I do try to review most things I follow, though I hate leaving short reviews (if the fic itself is short, then that's one thing, but when 10K words produces a response of "Hey, that was pretty good"... well, yeah. The flip side of that is that half the time the darned review takes half an hour to an hour to write! I currently have four chapters stacked up in my inbox waiting to be worked on, and I know I'll add another to the heap tomorrow because one My-Otome fic I follow ("Playing with Mercury") updates on Wednesdays.

However, I have printed out twenty-two pages of concentrated awesome and will be reading them tomorrow, Mozco. The review may just take a little whole lot longer.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 22:52   Link #27567
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Sorry to put you on the spot, but not seeing you say anything about the fics I wrote for you made me feel like you didn't care about them and were ignoring them completely. I felt horrible about it and that led to much unpleasentness as you're aware...
As a side comment, part of the reason I didn't review those on FF.net was (at least as far as I remember) because I had already commented on them here in the thread, so not only did I not know what to say, but I hated thinking that I was repeating itself. But fair enough, I suppose. Everyone has different opinion on these things.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 22:57   Link #27568
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pennsylvania. It's sort of like a real state.
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Moczo Send a message via Skype™ to Moczo
Oooh, discussion!


Personally, I'll try to review the first chapter of any story that catches my eye, to sort of let the author know 'Hey, I found this story and like it!' After that I review when I think of a comment to make. So I don't review every chapter, but I try to review semi-regularly.

Occasionally very semi. But... y'know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post

However, I have printed out twenty-two pages of concentrated awesome and will be reading them tomorrow, Mozco. The review may just take a little whole lot longer.
'S Cool, I know you're good for it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
That's what I always say. I try to lead by example and I always review whatever I read. So the fact that I haven't left a review means I'm not reading it Sorry Since few writers write about what I want to read about, I don't read that much. Sometimes I'll read stuff on whims, but only if they're short. If they grow into more and are interesting enough, I'll follow along, though. Like with deathcurse's Familiar Life fic. The interesting premise and ramifications thereof keep me reading despite it probably going to lean more towards NanoFate by the end of it.
Gee. Thanks.

.... nah, I kid. You're a stand-up guy.

You'd like this story, though. Yuuno actually plays a pretty significant role, and you're like... all about the ferret and stuff.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 23:19   Link #27569
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
As a side comment, part of the reason I didn't review those on FF.net was (at least as far as I remember) because I had already commented on them here in the thread, so not only did I not know what to say, but I hated thinking that I was repeating itself. But fair enough, I suppose. Everyone has different opinion on these things.
Well, you didn't comment on the 3rd ViCia chapter here, but you were mad at me at the time, so yeah I figured you'd have ignored it because of that but much later you did say you had read it.

Personally I'm okay with just copy and pasting comments from AS to FF.net. I like going through reviews for confidence boosts, and having them on FF.net is so much easier than trying to search the thread.

I'll admit that when it comes to dedicated fics, if the person the fic is dedicated doesn't review it, I think it sends out the message that causes others to go "Haha, he messed up this fic so badly that the person he wrote it for didn't even bother to say anything!" But that's just me being paranoid and frankly just typing that out makes me ashamed of myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
You'd like this story, though. Yuuno actually plays a pretty significant role, and you're like... all about the ferret and stuff.
But it's also OC heavy, isn't it? Not too fond of fics with lots of OCs. Reading through long epics just to get to some minor portion I want hasn't worked well in the past. Ages ago I started in on Satashi's 6th Division for the Hayate/Yuuno but I never got very far

The length is a big (pun intended) deterent too. Like looking up at Mount Everest If I'm in for a long ride, I have to be there at the beginning so things are spaced out between releases. That's why I'm able to keep up with stuff like Future Tense and Day in the Life.

And I know it's really easy to forget, but Vice is my favourite male character
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 23:38   Link #27570
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
But it's also OC heavy, isn't it? Not too fond of fics with lots of OCs. Reading through long epics just to get to some minor portion I want hasn't worked well in the past. Ages ago I started in on Satashi's 6th Division for the Hayate/Yuuno but I never got very far

The length is a big (pun intended) deterent too. Like looking up at Mount Everest If I'm in for a long ride, I have to be there at the beginning so things are spaced out between releases. That's why I'm able to keep up with stuff like Future Tense and Day in the Life.

And I know it's really easy to forget, but Vice is my favourite male character
To be fair to Moczo, he only has, like.... three or four OCs in the fic, and the main cast still gets a huge amount of screentime and development, especially the characters who got shafted in later seasons. And Yuuno is quite awesome and kickass in the story, really. His exchanges with Arf are funny as hell.

And the length never bothered me much, but then again, I blew through it in a single day when I had a lot of free time on my hands. And I'm a pretty fast reader when I put my mind to it.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 23:43   Link #27571
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Ah, okay then. Yuuno being awesome and kick ass sounds great, but of course I'd prefer he get attention of... a different sort

Well I need to finish Crisis before I even think about starting Infinity anyways
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 23:45   Link #27572
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frozen Hell of the North
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Ah, okay then. Yuuno being awesome and kick ass sounds great, but of course I'd prefer he get attention of... a different sort

Well I need to finish Crisis before I even think about starting Infinity anyways
Dude, they're like... 10-11 in the story. Not that I've read it, but it's set right after A's, right?
__________________

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 23:56   Link #27573
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Dude, they're like... 10-11 in the story.
... Your point being? Target audience, man. Remember the target audience!
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 00:06   Link #27574
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
And hey, better a short review than no review at all, I always say . The Nanoha fandom on ff.net is not great at that. Even a simple 'Hey, I liked the story' really does mean a lot, y'know?
I'm sorry that I don't follow it (yet) , but I'm sure it's AWESOME anyways!

I find that I'm iffy on the "I liked it. Please update" reviews...I admit, it's nice to get even those, but at the same time I'd rather have 5 people read a story of mine and really engage with the story and have at least one interpretive comment, than have 100 people read it mindlessly . But that's just me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Sometimes I'll read stuff on whims, but only if they're short. If they grow into more and are interesting enough, I'll follow along, though. Like with deathcurse's Familiar Life fic. The interesting premise and ramifications thereof keep me reading despite it probably going to lean more towards NanoFate by the end of it.
Thanks for even a passing mention of why you like "A Familiar Life..." , since I'm currently having a small mental breakdown over that fic, and it's nice to see that it's worth buckling down to try and fix things ^^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
(Though it must be said that authors have no idea readers are reading something unless the readers tell them so)
My powers of imagination/self-delusion work fine! Oh, and FF.net's traffic graphs are nice too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Ahh, I do try to review most things I follow, though I hate leaving short reviews (if the fic itself is short, then that's one thing, but when 10K words produces a response of "Hey, that was pretty good"... well, yeah. The flip side of that is that half the time the darned review takes half an hour to an hour to write!
Your review recipients appreciate the half-hour to an hour reviews . Of course, then it's a half-hour to an hour to respond to your review ....but worth the time, every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Personally I'm okay with just copy and pasting comments from AS to FF.net. I like going through reviews for confidence boosts, and having them on FF.net is so much easier than trying to search the thread.

And I know it's really easy to forget, but Vice is my favourite male character
Like RB, I feel bad for the lack of originality , so I tend not to copy-paste reviews. Besides, if I really take the effort to re-read, I'd likely find something new to comment on anyways!

And the one series I write about the poor man doesn't quite go the way it was expected? Although he probably got the happiest ending of the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
And the length never bothered me much, but then again, I blew through it in a single day when I had a lot of free time on my hands. And I'm a pretty fast reader when I put my mind to it.
I need to find myself a day like that too! Although I'm sure that the longer I wait, the longer the fic will get in the meantime!
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 00:19   Link #27575
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
And the one series I write about the poor man doesn't quite go the way it was expected? Although he probably got the happiest ending of the lot!
No kidding. I was so happy to finally see some one else write a good Teana/Vice but in the end...

Take it away, Tommy.



Well, that's why I went and did my own ending which you didn't review btw :P

EDIT: Oh, thought of another thing! Even short reviews like "this was awesome" still show that the reviewer cared about the fic enough to take the time and leave the comment.
__________________

Last edited by 00-Raiser; 2010-10-27 at 00:29.
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 00:32   Link #27576
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
No kidding. I was so happy to finally see some one else write a good Teana/Vice but in the end...

Take it away, Tommy.



Well, that's why I went and did my own ending which you didn't review btw :P
Hey, at least he ended up with someone! The other two of that triangle ended up with nobody at all ....

Ah, I haven't? I think that was a case of AnimeSuki reviewing and then not wanting to Copy-Paste it... Let me sort out my life, then I'll try to get to it !
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 05:34   Link #27577
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pennsylvania. It's sort of like a real state.
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Moczo Send a message via Skype™ to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
But it's also OC heavy, isn't it? Not too fond of fics with lots of OCs. Reading through long epics just to get to some minor portion I want hasn't worked well in the past. Ages ago I started in on Satashi's 6th Division for the Hayate/Yuuno but I never got very far

The length is a big (pun intended) deterent too. Like looking up at Mount Everest If I'm in for a long ride, I have to be there at the beginning so things are spaced out between releases. That's why I'm able to keep up with stuff like Future Tense and Day in the Life.

And I know it's really easy to forget, but Vice is my favourite male character
Like RB mentioned; there are maybe six-seven OC's total, and only four that get any significant screentime. And these four are, well... the villains.

The problem with Nanoha is that it is a rather villain-light franchise, after all. When I wanted to do an action story set in the space between A's and StrikerS, my only options for an antagonist were to either bring back Precia, or make my own villains.

Spoiler:


Also... Vice? And I thought liking Yuuno was rough, poor guy...
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 05:52   Link #27578
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Hey, everyone, I'm not dead! But I have been gone from this esteemed thread for some time, so... how about an offering. Up on FF.net right here, we have the largest-yet chapter of Infinity!

Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe things just got a bit dramatic.

That said, I'm sure that I'll be correcting things for some time, won't I? I usually make a few errors, and I was approaching this chapter like it was a foe I had sword blood-vengeance on . There's probably mistakes abounding.

But that, my friends, is a worry for tomorrow.
Oh yes, finally! Posted a comment on FF, awesome chapter as always. Title reminded me of Gilgamesh, though (yes, I'm aware of the Sumerian reference)

PS: Did I guess right? Or at least close enough?
__________________

Last edited by Tiresias; 2010-10-27 at 06:17.
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 07:33   Link #27579
Jimmy C
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Up on FF.net right here, we have the largest-yet chapter of Infinity!
Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe things just got a bit dramatic.
I'll say, how are you going to top this if you want to continue your plans to have Nanoha save all of ordered space every six months or so?

Quote:
I usually make a few errors, and I was approaching this chapter like it was a foe I had sword blood-vengeance on . There's probably mistakes abounding.
Oh, they're there. Let's see how many we can find on this pass.

Quote:
But neither of you two is leaving my sight alive
That's "neither of you two are leaving my sight alive," and the last part of the sentence should be "...your own necks."

Quote:
She tried to get away, but she had a pretty bad angle, and use of Bardiche in this particular situation could far-too-easily end in her hitting herself in the head while trying to attack her captor's… dragger's?... hand.
Next time Fate finds herself in this situation, she could try smacking her grabber with spells. Would mess him up even if they don't hit.

Quote:
Unfortunately for Arf, this also meant that was in Amaterasu's field of vision.
"this also meant that she was in..."

Quote:
"It was a signal for the Mercury to commence operations under Commodore Bentz.
"... ... HA!" Commodore Taurus Gantz said cheerfully.
So, is it Bentz or Gantz, or are we dealing with two Commodores here?

Quote:
This was the Master Control Gate, the central core of the system that acted as the guidepost for all the others.
Something tells me that was the key to how the Empire fell the last time around. It's probably how they're going end this revival too, isn't it? Not that I'd expect a straight answer...

Quote:
In a lot of ways, artificial gravity is very convenient. It doesn't pull you 'down', it pulls you 'towards the center of the ship'.
That's only if your ship was designed like a sphere, with the AG source at the core. That's a good design, avoids boundary problems that other designs with AG would have. I'm not sure if Bureau ships are designed that way though.

Quote:
somewhere in hte middle of relief, surprise and pleasure.
"...in the middle..."

Stunning chapter. But, like I said, how are you going to top this one in the future? And if you do, dealing with the Doctor will seem like a vacation for Nanoha and company by the time Strikers rolls around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
The length is a big (pun intended) deterent too. Like looking up at Mount Everest If I'm in for a long ride, I have to be there at the beginning so things are spaced out between releases.
Weakling. Try reading a real novel some time. Not one of those 500 page thinnies, but something with 750 pages of single-spaced text or more! This would have just been a short chapter in such tome! I devour books like that in an afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
The problem with Nanoha is that it is a rather villain-light franchise, after all.
Goes with the territory. They use only one set of villans per season. Unlike a more episodic series, where they might have to deal scores of independant villans per season.

Come to think of it, that might be an interesting way to structure a new season of Nanoha...
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 07:45   Link #27580
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Hey, at least he ended up with someone! The other two of that triangle ended up with nobody at all ....
But it's not exactly 100% what a wanted so therefore it sucks and I hate it!

Oh sure you say they ended up with no one, but the set up for future Subaru/Teana was super obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Ah, I haven't? I think that was a case of AnimeSuki reviewing and then not wanting to Copy-Paste it...
Yeah, it was. It's cool though, don't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Also... Vice? And I thought liking Yuuno was rough, poor guy...
Well, at least no one hates me for liking him Vice gets treated fairly well.
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.