AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 42 31.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 19.70%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 20.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 16.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 4.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 3.79%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.52%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.52%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-01, 23:57   Link #141
winkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Indeed Ayase's gravure modeling is hypocritical of her to be judging others. What do teenage boys do with gravure magazines and photobooks? yeah that's right.
And the problem there is?

Do you know why teen models do idol gravure stunts in Japan? It's so they can get widespread recognition and hit it big. There's nothing inherently sleazy about the process.

Perhaps Ayase's dream is to become a celebrity when she grows up, perhaps she just wants to cash in on her good looks for the time being, what is so wrong with that? It's probably what any semi-hot looking female would want to do.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 01:11   Link #142
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroro gunsou View Post
Japanese & other countries society have grown acceptable to otaku culture...
The problem of Kirino about hiding her hobby is a bit old type...
Today the member of AKB said we liked anime song.
But, I dont know the real people's atttitude to otaku changed or not.
Watching this show, I cannot understand Kirino's mind.
The situation of this character is good. smart,cute,able to run fast,having good(?)friends
why she worry about her hobby? Because it contain Eroge? I think teenager is interested in such things normaly. If she is not smart,cute,bad at sports, I can understand her, a bit...
BUt she have good skills so much. Her reputation in the school may be ruined so easily? Her friends leave her away so easily?
I love Kirino's decision to Ayase. But, poor Kuroneko & Saori... I disliked her saying about otaku friends, I dislike Kuroneko & Saori accepted what Kirino said about them...
Umm, no. It only looks that way from the outside because they realized it was good for the stagnating Japanese economy. Same thing with how violent Hollywood movies are tolerated in the US, yet stigmatized at the same time with "sex and violence" and "would someone think of the children wwaaaaaaah!!" types; it still helps the US economy.

Before anime was "accepted" it was looked at as the most embarassing part of Japan. Until later people realized how much of a market force the otaku can become. You have product lines, advertisements, tie-ups, people making pilgrimages, all contributing to people spending money. Why do you think we have moe sake, moe rice, K-ON tie ups at Lawson and product lines, and the entire neighborhood of Washinomiya welcoming otakus? Because it has become accepted?

No, it's "accepted" because it's good for the economy. Deep down inside people still think "otaku kimeeee" or "omaira uzeeeee" but they don't openly say it; why shun off nerds, geeks, and dorks who'd religiously buy stuff at overpriced prices? Sure, let the dorks have their fun, they're willing to spend wads of cash, we'll go along with it; meh more yen for me wwwww.

Simply put, it's a paradigm shift. People in Japan ain't buying stuff as they used to, but otakus seem to religiously buy anything so long there are moe product tie ups. Fans who never even touched a guitar in their lives going out to buy an expensive Les Paul just because it's Yui's Giita is a prime example of this. What do you think guitar shops in Japan are gonna do? "Oh yeah, we love K-ON too! It's the same Giita used by Yui! Wanna buy Mio's lefty Fender bass together?" = FTW for guitar shops.

If you ask me, the point where you see this happening is when corporations start jumping on the bandwagon. The day the US starts selling Aquafina Purified Water with character images of Misaka Mikoto or Ika-Musume Wheaties cereal, that's the day anime is "accepted" in the US.

Last edited by kj1980; 2010-11-02 at 01:34.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 01:18   Link #143
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
And the problem there is?

Do you know why teen models do idol gravure stunts in Japan? It's so they can get widespread recognition and hit it big. There's nothing inherently sleazy about the process.

Perhaps Ayase's dream is to become a celebrity when she grows up, perhaps she just wants to cash in on her good looks for the time being, what is so wrong with that? It's probably what any semi-hot looking female would want to do.
Reasons for doing it has nothing to do with the nature of the beast. Gravure is using sex to sell. Just as some manga/anime artist started off and/or still do hentai work. Tony Taka is a prime example of it. Regardless of the reasoning behind it, it's still work that involves sexual stimuli.
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 03:19   Link #144
shaolinx
Kani Fascination
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Seriously? How can any brother be that nice... He is basically treated like DIRT by his "tsundere" sister after hes done so much. She even goes as far as kicking him in the nuts!

Kyouske - its not worth sacrificing yourself for someone so ungrateful :x
__________________
Android Simplicity: Android How Tos, Android Apps, Android USB drivers
All the Android you will never need
www.AndroidSim.net
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 03:53   Link #145
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasudoken View Post
Best part of the episode
Spoiler for 15:21:
Father and daughter are alike.
__________________
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 04:03   Link #146
7thFonon
seventh fonon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Really enjoyed this episode. The dad scene was the only part I really laughed at, but the rest of the conversations were pretty interesting, especially since we got to see Ayase's personalit(y)/(ies). lol. But I could understand why she'd be mad at Kirino at the beginning since she was obviously trying to avoid her best friend / lying to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
If you ask me, the point where you see this happening is when corporations start jumping on the bandwagon. The day the US starts selling Aquafina Purified Water with character images of Misaka Mikoto or Ika-Musume Wheaties cereal, that's the day anime is "accepted" in the US.
Actually, they'd have Ika-Musume for Aquafina... And Misaka Mikoto would probably be a mascot for Duracell batteries kinda like how the pink rabbit with the drums was for Energizer.
7thFonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 04:09   Link #147
keroro gunsou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Umm, no. It only looks that way from the outside because they realized it was good for the stagnating Japanese economy. Same thing with how violent Hollywood movies are tolerated in the US, yet stigmatized at the same time with "sex and violence" and "would someone think of the children wwaaaaaaah!!" types; it still helps the US economy.

Before anime was "accepted" it was looked at as the most embarassing part of Japan. Until later people realized how much of a market force the otaku can become. You have product lines, advertisements, tie-ups, people making pilgrimages, all contributing to people spending money. Why do you think we have moe sake, moe rice, K-ON tie ups at Lawson and product lines, and the entire neighborhood of Washinomiya welcoming otakus? Because it has become accepted?

No, it's "accepted" because it's good for the economy. Deep down inside people still think "otaku kimeeee" or "omaira uzeeeee" but they don't openly say it; why shun off nerds, geeks, and dorks who'd religiously buy stuff at overpriced prices? Sure, let the dorks have their fun, they're willing to spend wads of cash, we'll go along with it; meh more yen for me wwwww.

Simply put, it's a paradigm shift. People in Japan ain't buying stuff as they used to, but otakus seem to religiously buy anything so long there are moe product tie ups. Fans who never even touched a guitar in their lives going out to buy an expensive Les Paul just because it's Yui's Giita is a prime example of this. What do you think guitar shops in Japan are gonna do? "Oh yeah, we love K-ON too! It's the same Giita used by Yui! Wanna buy Mio's lefty Fender bass together?" = FTW for guitar shops.

If you ask me, the point where you see this happening is when corporations start jumping on the bandwagon. The day the US starts selling Aquafina Purified Water with character images of Misaka Mikoto or Ika-Musume Wheaties cereal, that's the day anime is "accepted" in the US.
Maybe what you point out is right. Japanese & other coutrys society dont accept otaku culture truely. only they behave accepting...it is for their economy....

Buying instruments only for Yui or Mio is a bit extreme sample,I feel. But you point out importance of the otaku's action.

Now, I can completely understand Kirino's mind. BUT I CANNOT STAND, because she said "kimeeee" to her friends. Japanese society is like what you say, she hurt Kuroneko so much, and she hurt herself so much. Kirino should not say "kimoi" to Kuroneko & Saori, she should only " I dont know them".
She can explain Ayase that she dont have otaku friends enough by saying " I dont know them".

In this point, she was terrible bitch ever!!!
__________________
keroro gunsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 05:01   Link #148
Divine witch
Yes,Captain Vocabulary.
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cardbox
Spoiler for Episode 5:
__________________
Divine witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 05:58   Link #149
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
With Ayase doing gravure modeling, I found her prejudice against anime fans (especially regarding ero-manga) to be a bit hypocritical
Where is this gravure modeling stuff coming from, which I saw repeated a few times?

All we've seen in pictures and in a small excerpt in a former episode were fashion photo shootings, of the tamest kind. Fully clothed, and with no provocative poses.

I find it exceptionally unlikely that Ayase would do gravure modeling.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 06:38   Link #150
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
^ She said it herself at the beginning of the episode - that she had gravure work.

I assume not all gravure work involves bikinis... at least for a 14 year old. Is there a distinction from her normal modeling work, or is that what she calls it?
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 07:05   Link #151
An4rchy99
♥ Ophy~chan ♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a 2D paradise
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Seriously? How can any brother be that nice... He is basically treated like DIRT by his "tsundere" sister after hes done so much. She even goes as far as kicking him in the nuts!

Kyouske - its not worth sacrificing yourself for someone so ungrateful :x
Lol, thats the classic tsundere love you know. Good thing it was not the yandere Ayase. Actually Kirino tells it herself that her brother never was a real brother to her before. So it was not her fault for being distant... but it is clear she also genuinely cares for him, though she have a rather closed way of showing it

This was a great episode, with a lot of tension and emotion.
__________________
An4rchy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 09:07   Link #152
potchip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
^ She said it herself at the beginning of the episode - that she had gravure work.

I assume not all gravure work involves bikinis... at least for a 14 year old. Is there a distinction from her normal modeling work, or is that what she calls it?
It might be a translation issue..I thought Kirino/Ayase are models for teen magazines..basically teen idols - dressed up in cute clothes.

This episode seemingly focused on Ayase but I reckon the highlight's been on Kirino.

A major heart to heart(of the clueless big brother?)
Kirino's frown when asking for help from Kyosuke..can't have enough of that!
When she appeared at the park, and approached the situation in perfect Kirino mode: Do you have any objections?

And why these exaggerated Ayase hate? She just wanted to protect Kirino, even sacrified her friendship!
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 09:14   Link #153
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
No it isn't a mistranslation, since Ayase distinctly said "グラビア"

And no, I don't see how she wanted to protect Kirino by declaring they weren't friends any longer without any room for discussion first.
She only wanted to "protect" her when Kyousuke lied, but before that point, she refuses to accept a "non ideal" Kirino.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 10:01   Link #154
zero7090
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Anyways Ayase was way too much worried about that kind of thing, I even watch anime beside my old man
She is worried because it is erotic/18+/fapabe material just like what the tsudere dad did.

IMO Ayase accept her defeat and play along with the lie like tsundere dad did because they realised Kirino's brother love for her are much more than theirs
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 10:14   Link #155
Solafighter
Hige
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: God only knows
Awsomeness episode!

Kyousuke asking his dad for this kind of advice...
__________________
Solafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 10:38   Link #156
-Sho-
~Omedetô~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Well Ayase's reaction was a bit too much , specially at the beginning with her creepy face.
"You just tried to run away from me , you did , didn't you?" "Lies lies lies lies..." wow that was one hell reaction.
The thing is that Kyousuke just should have told her that the bag was for him and he told Kirino to help carrying it something like that. But in this case , Kirino will still lie to her.

And i was like "WTF" when Kirino said that "I love you as much i love eroge game" .... really ... Hobby =/= Best friend ...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 11:18   Link #157
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Did Ayase really asked Kirino "You're not lying? You love me a lot?" before she start to break down in tears ? Or is it a mistranslation?

PS: off topic: oh wow, haven't seen kj1980 in a while
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 11:29   Link #158
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
She definitely says "嘘じゃない? 私の事をすごく大好き?", so unlikely to be a mistranslation.
Unless the 大好き was actually something else, considering how the voice was collapsing there, but it is definitely on line with what Kirino said few seconds before.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 11:50   Link #159
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
She definitely says "嘘じゃない? 私の事をすごく大好き?", so unlikely to be a mistranslation.
Unless the 大好き was actually something else, considering how the voice was collapsing there, but it is definitely on line with what Kirino said few seconds before.
I think it would be "like you {[very] x [10^infinity]} much" than "love you". Or rather, liking a person as close as to loving her, but still in the context of friends, perhaps extremely good ones.

Still, it is a potential line for yuri, considering that the seiyuu had made similarly dubious double entendres in her other characters (Azunyan in K-ON and Nozomi in Mayoi Neko Overrun), and that the scriptwriter wrote stuff like that specially for her.

P.S After watching this episode. I realised that Ayase is rather cute too. Can I claim her as my waifu too along with Kirino and Kuroneko?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 11:57   Link #160
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
"a lot" is a proper translation for すごく in this context. I see no reason to go farther than its initial meaning.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.