AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-08, 21:55   Link #1
Alterscape

[current series advice] What To Watch..?

Long time user, first time poster. Actually, I think I might've had a forum account, but it was a couple of years ago and I can't remember the username, password, or email I used to sign up, soo.. new account time.

Long story short, I'm having a hard time finding an anime to follow out of this season's offerings, based on the little blurbs on animenfo and the titles. I actually made the mistake of downloading "Final Approach" before I checked out the animenfo bit, because the title sounded like it might be aviation-centric, and wow.. where's the bleach? Awful animation, silly-to-stupid plot.. my head hurts. Nothing else looks or sounds remotely apetizing right now.

I love Last Exile / Yukikaze / Haibane Renmei .. things like Full Metal Panic and Witch Hunter Robin I like, but not as much. Haibane and Last Exile in particular have a just.. beautiful quality to them, in terms of story and animation. Granted, LastExile gets sort of hollow towards the end, but its still beautiful. Can anyone reccomend anything that might be out now that would appeal to the same aesthetic?
Old 2004-10-08, 22:01   Link #2
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

You might want to move this thread to the Suggestions forum.

I'm not really sure what to suggest. I've only seen Full Metal Panic from your list.

A good one might be Bleach. I actually jsut got back from watching episode 1, and while it's not one I'm antipicating, I think you'd like it.

It seems like you're looking for some action anime with a serious plot... I'd hesitate to suggest Mi HiME...

Maybe you could be more descriptive?
Old 2004-10-08, 22:22   Link #3
Alterscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Enigma
You might want to move this thread to the Suggestions forum.

I'm not really sure what to suggest. I've only seen Full Metal Panic from your list.

A good one might be Bleach. I actually jsut got back from watching episode 1, and while it's not one I'm antipicating, I think you'd like it.

It seems like you're looking for some action anime with a serious plot... I'd hesitate to suggest Mi HiME...

Maybe you could be more descriptive?
Sorry if this is the wrong forum -- I'm asking specifically about fansubs, not existing anime, because I've seen most everything that's around these days. But if this would fit better in suggestions, ops, please do drop-kick there!

And yes, some action and a serious plot are musts. But note that Haibane Renmei is about as far from 'action' as one can get, and I love it. It just -feels- well done. If I had to name the feeling I'd like to capture again, it's "a sense of wonder" -- the way you feel as you watch this beautifully-drawn and constructed world unfold before you. Both Last Exile and Haibane have a complex world with fully-realized cultures and customs and interesting things like that. It's kind of the polar opposite of the low-budget, brightly-colored, slapstick comedy world shown in most anime, and I love it.. but there seem to be so few shows like that out there. People say I should try FMA, but.. it feels too "bright, primary colors" for me from the few episodes I've seen, and besides, its liscensed now.. >.<

[edit]Now and Then, Here and There also meets my criteria in spades, as does the Ah! My Goddess! movie, though not so much.. I mainly love that because its related to AMG, which was the first anime I ever watched ^^; [/edit]
Old 2004-10-08, 22:37   Link #4
Shiorichan
Mistress of Froth-Bite

You might like another series that Froth-Bite is doing that is called Black Jack. We have released the first 3 episodes of a 4 part special and the show starts airing on the 11th. We will be subbing that as well.

Black Jack is a master surgeon, but he doesn't have his license. It deals with life and death and extending life. Is it moral or is it not?

</plug>
Old 2004-10-08, 22:45   Link #5
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Here are the new series that I've watched one episode a piece from:

Bleach
Final Approach
Kakyuusei 2
Uta Katta
Kappa no Kaikata
School Rumble
Mai Hime

And here are the ones that I recommend:

Definitely going to watch
- Yakitate Japan (haven't seen first episode, but the manga is hilarious)
- Bleach (looks to be freaking awesome!)
- School Rumble (HILARIOUS!!!)

Maybe going to watch (if the next episodes prove themselves)
- Mai Hime (looks fun and cute)
- Final Approach (pretty funny, kinda weird. CUTE girls )
- Uta Katta (cute. Might turn out to be interesting)

Never going to bother with again
- Kappa no Kaikata (WTF)
- Kakyuusei 2 (uninteresting and annoying)

Hero of Allacrost, a free 2D RPG in development.
Old 2004-10-08, 23:16   Link #6
Cheesemon
Purokogi?

Naruto. Good action, incredible cliffhangers, lighthearted sometimes, serious when it needs to be, and emotionally gutwrenching just after the climaxes. However, it's a show that you have to watch in order to decide for yourself whether you like it or not. So forget all the bad things you've heard about it, and even all the "Naruto ownz" comments too, and just watch it with an open mind. And watch till episode 20 before you pass judgment because it is slowed down with a lot of recapping during the first couple episodes as it tried to find an audience.

And if you're gonna start at the beginning, go with the Toriyama World subs because ANBU/Aone were pretty shaky with their translations in the beginning.
http://a.scarywater.net/naruto/

And as always, I gotta plug Ashita no Nadja, which is also a mix of serious and lightheartedness, more romance than action though. Best shoujo ever. For this one, you only need to watch one episode to see whether you'll like it or not.
Old 2004-10-08, 23:22   Link #7
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Read this post carefully...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterscape
I love Last Exile / Yukikaze / Haibane Renmei .. things like Full Metal Panic and Witch Hunter Robin I like, but not as much. Haibane and Last Exile in particular have a just.. beautiful quality to them, in terms of story and animation. Granted, LastExile gets sort of hollow towards the end, but its still beautiful. Can anyone reccomend anything that might be out now that would appeal to the same aesthetic?
Why are you guys suggesting Naruto and Bleach to this person? They're nothing like what he's talking about. Hello?!

One thing's for sure: if you're okay with weird-looking animation, you'll probably like the aesthetic of Windy Tales. In its setting, it shares a lot with Last Exile and Haibane Renmei. Here's the series page:
http://animesuki.com/series.php/482.html

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any other series to you because ALL THE FANSUB GROUPS ARE FOCUSING THEIR EFFORTS ON SUBBING BLEACH MULTIPLE TIMES. Tsukuyomi and Gaunkutsuou look like they might be good, but I can't be sure as of yet because nobody has released them.
Old 2004-10-09, 02:49   Link #8
Alterscape

Thanks for the tip, Ashibaka. Windy Tales seems to be worth a look. I also recall hearing about another new Gonzo series (next season) with some interesting stylistic things going on..

[edit]Windy Tales looks very interesting. Just watched the first ep.. I fear it'll fall into the Someday's Dreamers classification, in the end, but.. to start out, it seems fun.[/edit]

I've looked at Naruto, and it seems too much the formulaic fighting anime for my taste. There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just seeking something less episodic. On a side note, I -hate- listening to characters in fighting anime discuss their tactics -in the middle of battle- .. I'm watching the Kenshin Kyoto Arc with my college anime club right now, and I just keep thinking "Okay! Now finish off the bad guy while he's boring us all to death discussing how awesome his attack is!" .. >.>

Another I liked was "Someday's Dreamers," although I thought that the actual plot didn't live up to the potential. They never really investigated the serious consequences of conservation of matter being violated wholesale, and so forth -- I didn't get how the world continued to move on, despite magic's presence. I would've expected more Witch Hunter Robin style crime, nevermind the problems with financial value -- take the episode where Yume and her teacher fixed all the windows in the strip mall. They never mention it, but what happened to the livelihood of the people who work in the glass factory, and the glass installer, when things like that can be done for free. There's so much in that concept to be explored, but they chose to focus on Yume, which, while it makes everything nice and character-driven, leaves me wanting more consistancy in the world. And, despite all the stated and implied rules, it more or less became "Well, Yume's the main character so she can do whatever she wants, and everyone will be happy." which annoyed me..

Last edited by Alterscape; 2004-10-09 at 16:30.
Closed Thread