AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-09, 01:54   Link #1
Fel
Clean up princess

Esca Movie & Macross intermission

A couple of quick questions:

1. Should I watch the Escaflowne movie after I finish the series, or will it diminish my respect for the series?
I know that people don't seem to think that the movie is very good, but I'd be willing to watch it anyways as long as it doesn't make me think that Escaflowne isn't that good after all. The Bebop movie, for instance, didn't quite live up to the series, but it was still well worth seeing, and I still love Bebop. Also, how does the Escaflowne manga compare to the series? I might read it if it's decent.

2. I know the last episode won't be released for another two weeks, but can anyone tell me if it should be okay for me watch all of Macross Zero in about a week and then start on Macross a couple of weeks after that, or will there be some important details that I might forget during that time? I'm going to start on the Macross series soon, so I want to know the best way to go about it.
I'm currently thinking:
Macross Zero
SDF Macross
Flashback 2012
Macross Plus

and maybe I'll fit in Do You Remeber Love & Macross II. I know enough about Macross Plus not to bother with it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Fel; 2004-10-09 at 02:31.
Old 2004-10-09, 03:20   Link #2
Alterscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel
A couple of quick questions:

1. Should I watch the Escaflowne movie after I finish the series, or will it diminish my respect for the series?
I know that people don't seem to think that the movie is very good, but I'd be willing to watch it anyways as long as it doesn't make me think that Escaflowne isn't that good after all. The Bebop movie, for instance, didn't quite live up to the series, but it was still well worth seeing, and I still love Bebop. Also, how does the Escaflowne manga compare to the series? I might read it if it's decent.

2. I know the last episode won't be released for another two weeks, but can anyone tell me if it should be okay for me watch all of Macross Zero in about a week and then start on Macross a couple of weeks after that, or will there be some important details that I might forget during that time? I'm going to start on the Macross series soon, so I want to know the best way to go about it.
I'm currently thinking:
Macross Zero
SDF Macross
Flashback 2012
Macross Plus

and maybe I'll fit in Do You Remeber Love & Macross II. I know enough about Macross Plus not to bother with it.

Thanks!
The Escaflowne movie is a retelling of the same general story as the TV series, but with a lot of MAJOR differences. I think its fair to say it takes place in an alternate Escaverse -- the characters have the same names, but a LOT of details are changed to fit it into a shorter running time (2 hrs vs 13 hrs), and a few characters change drastically, or don't exist in the movie.

As for Macross Zero, it was been created roughly 15 years (20?) after the original SDF Macross series, to milk s'more money out of the franchise. I have no idea what will be revealed in Ep5, but the original Macross products stood on their own without Zero, so I suspect they will continue to do so. I like Zero as an anime, but I'm not so sure how well it fits into the canon Macross Zero universe. At risk of sounding like a total dweeb, its the same problem that exists with Star Trek: Enterprise -- the future's already been written, so how much can you get away with changing that directly relates to what we know about the future? Not much.
Closed Thread