AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-12, 08:07   Link #9821
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
No. It is not for Amazon to decide what material is and is not up to some arbitrary moral standard imported from another culture. Amazon is a store; they sell published works. They abide by the laws of the country in which they sell. They are under absolutely no obligation, moral or otherwise, to stop selling things just because you don't like the contents. Where are they supposed to draw the line? Who is going to do the content review of thousands upon thousands of works to figure out which works should be banned? Whose standard are they supposed to adhere to? Yours? "America's"? Shall we start burning these heretical books as well? No, this is the epitome of short-sighted, poorly-conceived, bigoted moral-crusading stupidity, and Amazon should certainly have no part in it.
This is the problem with the world in general, the inability to tolerate one another. Believe in sky cake, the idea that someone can be the arbiter of morality when it's clear that morals at least at this point in time seem to be relativistic and not standard. Also if you say that "pedo rags" are ban able, what about rape porn, violent video games, violent movies, movies that promote infidelity because marriage is an institution recognized by the government? This is the problem of legislating morality, everybody is willing to impose on others but when it comes to these peoples liked medium they become hypocrites because "their" likes are somehow above someone else's morality. I know stating slippery slope propositions is often frowned upon, but this is the one real threat in the muting of speech/thought that does not conform to a standard especially one based on emotion or fear.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 09:13   Link #9822
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Former Kosovo health ministry official charged in international organ-trafficking scheme
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1796245/
Quote:
Victims were promised up to $20,000, while recipients were required to pay between $110,000 and $137,000.
Even taking into account of the cost of the operation, the profit was evident.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 12:55   Link #9823
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
No. It is not for Amazon to decide what material is and is not up to some arbitrary moral standard imported from another culture. Amazon is a store; they sell published works. They abide by the laws of the country in which they sell. They are under absolutely no obligation, moral or otherwise, to stop selling things just because you don't like the contents. Where are they supposed to draw the line? Who is going to do the content review of thousands upon thousands of works to figure out which works should be banned? Whose standard are they supposed to adhere to? Yours? "America's"? Shall we start burning these heretical books as well? No, this is the epitome of short-sighted, poorly-conceived, bigoted moral-crusading stupidity, and Amazon should certainly have no part in it.
(i'll double dip this time)

There are private corporations that make decisions based around the relationships they build with their customer base. That means that consumers can have a say in the product offerings (because they're part of the relationship, see). A whole slug of Amazon customers spoke up and said that they would not make purchases at Amazon if that book stayed up. Amazon decided they would rather retain those customers than sell a book on pedophilia. They are a business, and they have employees who depend on Amazon's profits for their livelihood. A large-scale boycott could hurt thousands of individual employees, not just a faceless demon corporation. Moms and dads shopping for the holiday season from now until Christmas pack a massive amount of buying power, and if I were Amazon I'd be more concerned about upsetting them than anyone else.

before someone utters the word censorship, this is not it in how it relates to the 1st amendment. The government did not ban this book from being sold. Amazon made a decision as a private corporation, for whatever reason, not to sell a guide to pedophilia. This is completely within their rights. They also cannot be forced to sell material that they do not feel is aligned with their corporate identity. Now, if Congress passes a law that no literature on pedophilia can ever be sold ever, then that's censorship.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 12:59   Link #9824
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Supporters prepare for Suu Kyi release in Myanmar
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1796153/
I do wonder how long she will be let out before being put into custody again.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 14:23   Link #9825
killer3000ad
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Woman verbally abuses US postal worker with racial slurs, postman gets fired
We've only got the postman's side of the story so far. Woman signed for a letter, then realised it was addressed to her husband and demanded her signature back. When the postman refused she started hurling racial abuse at him. After the incident, the postman was fired without a reason being given, according to him.
Spoiler for 1st part:

Spoiler for 2nd part, she gets really nasty:
__________________
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 15:01   Link #9826
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Woman verbally abuses US postal worker with racial slurs, postman gets fired
We've only got the postman's side of the story so far. Woman signed for a letter, then realised it was addressed to her husband and demanded her signature back. When the postman refused she started hurling racial abuse at him. After the incident, the postman was fired without a reason being given, according to him.
Spoiler for 1st part:

Spoiler for 2nd part, she gets really nasty:
Wait... She was harrassing the guy and calling him a n***** because she signed for her husband's mail, which she is legally allowed to do, and wanted to take her signature back? The fuck is wrong with her? Now there really isn't a clear shot of the alleged slap there, but if she hit him, she should be arrested. But of course she babysits for one of the cops, so of course no charges are going to be filled. Can't have a cop arresting his friends.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 15:51   Link #9827
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
In a very literal sense, she did communicate exactly what she was thinking, so maybe she's actually a great speech coach
http://www.mediaite.com/online/who-i...inks-it-knows/
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 18:52   Link #9828
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
That is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. What a freaking nutcase.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 21:44   Link #9829
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Starz Develops Live-Action Remake of Noir Action Anime

I very excited about this, also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
I would like them to keep the implied lesbianism!
Yes indeed. Or maybe.... a little bit more.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 23:50   Link #9830
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Starz Develops Live-Action Remake of Noir Action Anime

I very excited about this, also:



Yes indeed. Or maybe.... a little bit more.
Not sure about this, given the age the main characters.

U.N. council gets Sudan report that infuriated China
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6AB52Q20101112
China is getting angry again ... for not much this time.
__________________


Last edited by ganbaru; 2010-11-13 at 00:03.
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 01:23   Link #9831
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
This is the problem with the world in general, the inability to tolerate one another. Believe in sky cake, the idea that someone can be the arbiter of morality when it's clear that morals at least at this point in time seem to be relativistic and not standard. Also if you say that "pedo rags" are ban able, what about rape porn, violent video games, violent movies, movies that promote infidelity because marriage is an institution recognized by the government? This is the problem of legislating morality, everybody is willing to impose on others but when it comes to these peoples liked medium they become hypocrites because "their" likes are somehow above someone else's morality. I know stating slippery slope propositions is often frowned upon, but this is the one real threat in the muting of speech/thought that does not conform to a standard especially one based on emotion or fear.
Really interesting book that is getting a lot of mileage with influential people and policy types... worth a look:

The Watchman's Rattle by Rebecca Costa
(Thinking our way out of Extinction)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...778XQEEK1R2YWJ


edit: oh and this is one of a series but some of the funniest (aka tragic) explanations of the Fed and other issues I've ever seen.
(two robo-bears explain Everything, but in this issue they cover Quantitative Easing by the Fed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY1...layer_embedded

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-11-13 at 03:35.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 05:38   Link #9832
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Ireland in aid talks with EU, rescue likely
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6AB0P420101112

Isn't true than Portugal also might need the same kind of help ?
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 07:13   Link #9833
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Age: 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Azumanga Davo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Ireland in aid talks with EU, rescue likely
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6AB0P420101112

Isn't true than Portugal also might need the same kind of help ?
Basically the list would read Ireland, Portugal, Spain and maybe even Italy to add to the list. The thing in common with all four nations would be the need to import most of it's resources. Another problem, one that affects Italy the most, is the fact that one half of the nation (in Italy it's the industrial north) props up the other half (the rural south).

That's just how I would predict it though. Although there are poorer nations in the EU than those mentioned, they tend to stay within their means a bit better.
__________________
Azumanga Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 10:35   Link #9834
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
edit: oh and this is one of a series but some of the funniest (aka tragic) explanations of the Fed and other issues I've ever seen.
(two robo-bears explain Everything, but in this issue they cover Quantitative Easing by the Fed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY1...layer_embedded
Sad how much truth you get out of two animated bear cartoons and how many lies we get out of supposedly credible news outlets . The fed will be our downfall...
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 10:51   Link #9835
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
edit: oh and this is one of a series but some of the funniest (aka tragic) explanations of the Fed and other issues I've ever seen.
(two robo-bears explain Everything, but in this issue they cover Quantitative Easing by the Fed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY1...layer_embedded
It isn't just in US, it is everywhere else in the world.

Practically, all the jargon used is what I am taught in my current school now under business communication. And yeah, that is what I write for exam to score an A.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 11:00   Link #9836
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It isn't just in US, it is everywhere else in the world.

Practically, all the jargon used is what I am taught in my current school now under business communication. And yeah, that is what I write for exam to score an A.
At least Singapore is actually taking steps for austerity. Your country is actually preparing for inflation, mine's making it even worse . Not only that but Singapore holds far more savings to stimulate future growth...
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 13:03   Link #9837
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Everything you need to know about the "missile" launch
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 14:14   Link #9838
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Ireland in aid talks with EU, rescue likely
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6AB0P420101112

Isn't true than Portugal also might need the same kind of help ?
It's possible, but not very likely. Portugal hasn't got any bond sales planned till end of the year so they are fine for now. The raising borrowing rates for Ireland, Spain and Portugal were the result of markets getting twitchy over German Chancellor Angela Merkelís proposal for a permanent rescue mechanism as of 2013 that would involve restructuring with losses for private holders of sovereign debt. European ministers at the G-20 are now trying to talk down fears for an Irish rescue. It's ironic that news reporting, like Reuters here, might actually affect the likelihood of a rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
edit: oh and this is one of a series but some of the funniest (aka tragic) explanations of the Fed and other issues I've ever seen.
(two robo-bears explain Everything, but in this issue they cover Quantitative Easing by the Fed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY1...layer_embedded
It's easy to mock this for it's blatant use half truths, personal attacks and other debating tricks, but it stops being funny when I see how easily people get mislead in search of "simple answers".
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 15:53   Link #9839
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
The thing to remember with the "two bears" series is that anyone can create these cartoons using the tools. So some are better than others.

However, you aren't really defending the Fed as being all that helpful or not in the pocket of particular interests rather than the overall economy in the last 20 odd years, are you?
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 19:47   Link #9840
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
However, you aren't really defending the Fed as being all that helpful or not in the pocket of particular interests rather than the overall economy in the last 20 odd years, are you?
Heh no, I'm not that naive.

Still regardless of the influence of Wall Street and other lobby groups, the fed is pretty effective on the operational side of things and I do not believe the current policy of the Fed is wrong, based on what I know of economics. (Nor do I think that Bernanke is a nitwit as he is one of the foremost academics on systemic failures, after Schwartz and Friedman. Making him currently about the most qualified person around for the job. Not that this should be confused with infallibility).

In direct response to your question: I think uncontrolled financial deregulation, partly induced by private interests, created an environment that allowed the managements of financial institutions, driven by very short term profit motives, to lead the economy to ruin. The fed, the government and (the lobby from) the financial sector all share blame for this mess. The reinterpretation of the Glass-Steagall act by the Fed in 1986 can be seen as the start of this development. So no, I don't think they have been the most positive or neutral influence in recent decades on the development of the financial system. What is often forgotten is that congress forced the dual mandate on the fed in the 1977 amendment of the FR act (in contrast to the ECB which only has to worry about price stability). Unfortunately nuance is often lost in this type of discussion.

For those interested:

http://www.openthegovernment.org/otg...ne-2009-07.pdf gives imo a fairly neutral comment on the developments in financial deregulation that lead the post 2k economic crises.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.