AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-21, 03:32   Link #18961
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Seriously though. In Higurashi dying (or killing everyone else) supposedly turns you into a god.
Not a literal god but a symbolic one.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 03:36   Link #18962
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Not a literal god but a symbolic one.
Although there is a literal god, but dying won't make you them.

...the more I reflect on it, the more stupid Higurashi appears.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 04:41   Link #18963
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
...the more I reflect on it, the more stupid Higurashi appears.
I find it's best not to think about it too much.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 07:54   Link #18964
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Somewhere near Seattle
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Not a literal god but a symbolic one.
Oh, a witch...

(Lambdadelta=Takano's dream of godhood achieved?)

However, given that the world of Higurashi is clearly one where Shintoism (or R07's personal interpretation thereof) holds as Truth, then is there so much of a difference between a literal god and symbolic one (putting Meta-world applications aside)? Shintoist Japan is the land of myriad (or "8 million") animistic gods, with varying amounts of influence or lack therof on the natural world. A number of both good and downright rotten folks have been later enshrined as gods after their deaths.

It's relatively common (at least by my modest understanding of Japanese culture) to refer to one's deceased ancestors as having become gods. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that this is the kind of godhood Higurashi is talking about, especially with the murky Shinto origins of Hannyu/Oyashiro-sama (oh yeah, oni can be gods too ). The term "kami" has very different possible implications and connotations than "god" does in Western culture (due to variants of an Abrahamic monotheistic god being more the norm in that case).

And certainly with the destruction of the Shinto shrine on Rokkenjima (and Erika's "mixed stories" theory), there is a clear link between what Umineko calls "witches" and locals call "kami" or "aragami", etc...
__________________
---

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 10:17   Link #18965
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Yesterday!
Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Although there is a literal god, but dying won't make you them.

...the more I reflect on it, the more stupid Higurashi appears.
Well if you want unrealistic stuff to hate sure Higurashi should work a lot that way.
Tho to be honest, I do wonder what kind of story you wouldn't find stupid or bad.


Edit : I'm thinking the oddest thing about Shkanontrice is the idea that Shannon had to wear progressively bigger fake breast without the Ushiromiya, specially Jessica, noticing. That sounds hard to pull off.
Actually about Yasu/Shkanon/Lion, Yasu seems to claim the accident is the cause of his/her ... uh... genitals/gender status.
In other words Lion is either a guy or a girl, most likely a guy, and Yasu an eunuch.

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2010-11-21 at 10:45.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 10:46   Link #18966
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Although there is a literal god, but dying won't make you them.

...the more I reflect on it, the more stupid Higurashi appears.
Spoiler for Higurashi:
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 11:01   Link #18967
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Actually about Yasu/Shkanon/Lion, Yasu seems to claim the accident is the cause of his/her ... uh... genitals/gender status.
Yasu never claimed such a thing. All we know is that Yasu's body ended up with a serious injury after the fall, to the point Yasu claimed her body is "unable to love". Then she said that, because of that, you couldn't call her human, but furniture.

Readers assume this is one of the reasons she may have had to pull the murders, but Yasu herself never said this was the reason behind her actions.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 11:10   Link #18968
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Yesterday!
Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
Not talking about reasons to make murder, I'm saying Yasu's body wasn't abnormal before the injury.

If you say they didn't say such a thing... they do say it.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 11:18   Link #18969
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Uh... by accident I thought you meant the Rokkenjima incident for some reason, my bad.

But, either way, Yasu never mentioned anything about her sex or her genitals. All she said was what I wrote above.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 11:23   Link #18970
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
especially with the murky Shinto origins of Hannyu/Oyashiro-sama (oh yeah, oni can be gods too )
Isn't Hanyuu revealed to be a space alien in Matsuri or something? I'm not sure and I may be mistaken.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 11:28   Link #18971
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
As far as I know, Matsuri wasn't written by R07 and thus, it's not canon.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 17:10   Link #18972
Cao Ni Ma
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Just thought of another symbolism, 8 games revolving around one truth, Without love it cannot be seen.
Cao Ni Ma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 17:25   Link #18973
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Please elaborate, Cao?
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 18:00   Link #18974
Cao Ni Ma
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
There are 8 planets, there are 8 games. Without The Sun nothing could be seen in either of these worlds.
Cao Ni Ma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 19:33   Link #18975
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Fuck you pluto is a planet ;_;
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 19:51   Link #18976
Leafsnail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Like dying in the meta-world ever stopped anyone but Erika.
I dunno, I'd actually be dissapointed if Erika came back. Her death seemed to have a... finality that the others lack? Y'know, being blasted to bit in a hail of bullets rather than just ceasing to exist or whatever.

Also... anyone thinking the whole kindof premise for these is biblical?

I mean, if we take a random biblical story... let's say the one about the fall of Jericho.

The Israelites probably conquered the city. The bible says they did this from God destroying the walls.

Now, is this what actually happened? Is it a malicious lie made up afterwards? Or is it a metaphor ("the strength of God was so strong in them they could easily tear down the walls")?
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 20:01   Link #18977
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Yesterday!
Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Uh... by accident I thought you meant the Rokkenjima incident for some reason, my bad.

But, either way, Yasu never mentioned anything about her sex or her genitals. All she said was what I wrote above.
Ah yeah guess I wasn't very clear.
They do not specifically say anything about Yasu's gender nor Yasu's gender being altered/removed or anything, however Yasu does blame the accident as the reason to see his/herself as furniture and the whole physical complex.

The point is that before the accident Yasu had no physical complex, thus it's very unlikely that Lion is hermaphrodite or androgynous.

The genital assumption is because s/he says "a body unable to love". Not that I necessarily agree with that, but what else can s/he refers to?
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 20:04   Link #18978
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
How about that part where Lion got extremely sensitive about his gender?
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 20:20   Link #18979
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Yesterday!
Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
Admittedly that's odd, I'm not too sure about this tho.
One possible scenario is if Lion is a girl that was raised as a boy, but that's not very satisfying.
I guess I assumed this was only to basically dodge that question until the final arc.

Still Yasu's furniture complex is "because of that injury". Again, what else can it be?
An hermaphrodite who gets a wooden leg and complains they cannot love anymore because of the wooden leg or something along that line is just silly.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 20:55   Link #18980
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
I've always seen more parallels to The Tempest than anything else, honestly.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.