AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-21, 21:48   Link #18981
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
I think you are overthinking about why Yasu thinks she's unfitted to love because of her wound.

Years spent on anime and manga taught me that japanese are very sensitive about the requirements to be in a relationship, see the old but never dying trope:

"Aaah a man saw my boobs! now I can't marry anymore!"

I think it's hard to understand why a wound, no matter how hideous, would be a problem from our 21st century western perspective. There are cases a lot worse than a simple wound, there are people that can't walk, see, hear, or that lack an arm or a leg and they still can find that special someone willing to accept their disabilities.

However no matter how much I think about it, it just doesn't make any sense for Yasu's wound to be anything major.

As I explained before, the only reasonable genital mangling is the loss of a male apparatus, which however is almost completely meaningless for someone whose greatest love is a straight guy and whose gender identity is female.

Even supposing the inverse case, that is: Yasu is female and the wound required the removal of her uterus (is it even possible in newborn babies?), it's still not a big deal in my book. There's a lot of sterile people who still marry.


So in the end the only possible explanation that I can find is that Yasu is exaggerating, no matter what kind of wound she suffered, Battler would just laugh and tell her that he doesn't care.

Anyway what I think that happened is that Yasu has a very hideous wound in her chest. The reason I believe this, it's because it's been hinted. No other wound has been hinted, so it must be it.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 22:55   Link #18982
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
It could something as simple as misattributing things. Yasu is fucking bonkers and is all magic desu. "Oh my god, my gender's all messed up? AND it was ruined by an accident?! Bwaaaa if not for the accident, I might've been able to be one gender or the other, now I can't love at all~ ;_;"
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 00:19   Link #18983
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The reason I believe this, it's because it's been hinted. No other wound has been hinted, so it must be it.
You mean the bit with Dark Kanon sticking his fingers in his chest?
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 00:53   Link #18984
Marion
The Great Dine
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
So in the end the only possible explanation that I can find is that Yasu is exaggerating, no matter what kind of wound she suffered, Battler would just laugh and tell her that he doesn't care.

Anyway what I think that happened is that Yasu has a very hideous wound in her chest. The reason I believe this, it's because it's been hinted. No other wound has been hinted, so it must be it.
Agreed. If anything Battler is pretty interested in Shannon's chest when he comes back.

But then again we have to remember - this is the person who sets up over 900 tons of explosions because her crush forgot about a half-baked promise that he didn't even acknowledge as a promise.
__________________

Sig by nocco
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 00:57   Link #18985
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
You mean the bit with Dark Kanon sticking his fingers in his chest?
Right, and if you go to the scene that happens later, it kinda make sense if you think that Gohda just saw Yasu and her terrible wound.


Quote:
But then again we have to remember - this is the person who sets up over 900 tons of explosions because her crush forgot about a half-baked promise that he didn't even acknowledge as a promise.
I wonder about that...
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 01:10   Link #18986
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Finland
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Bluemail
That chest wound thing actually makes a lot of sense, at least much more than the other suggestion (but how can I know what's going on in a Japanese writer's mind )

Besides Zombie-Kanon it could support the theory about Shannon faking her death in EP3, at least for a while before she was re-killed or something like that. She had the "fatal" wound on her chest.

Maybe she is flat chest because of the accident... And is afraid of Battler getting disappointed because he likes them bouncies.

And here I am, spoiling the heck out of EP7 for myself... But it sounds exciting!
__________________

Umineko no Naku Koro ni ~Rondo of the Witch and Reasoning~ for PS3/PSP
NISA publisher support thread - AKSYS publisher support thread - Facebook group - deviantArt group - Petition
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 01:15   Link #18987
Kylon99
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Meta-Meta-Meta-Space
Well, even though this conversation is straying into 'humorous' territory, there is that part in EP6 where Battler portrayed Yasu as thinking that she couldn't be the one to love him; so maybe that 'Beatrice' could.

I assumed that meant that she was nothing like the preferences Battler had just stated, blonde hair with big bouncy ones. So... she had brown hair and a washboard chest? (小 -> 版 .. pettan, pettan, tsurupettan!)
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 01:15   Link #18988
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Maybe she thinks she's flatchested because of the accident, while ironically she's still flatchested as Lion.


And that's how the Rokkenjima incident still happens!!!

It's all because of those damn SMALL BOOBS
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 01:46   Link #18989
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Small Boobs vs. Small Bombs, the ultimate showdown.

Wait a second... what if you stuffed your bra with small bombs? That'd solve both problems! Good end, here we come!
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 02:28   Link #18990
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
It turns out that at midnight of the second day Battler cops a feel (living or dead) and that's the trigger mechanism for the small bomb-small boobs.

If Battler had returned a year earlier, or a year later, the tragedy could have been avoided.

Because of Battler's sin, people die. No one is left alive.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 02:33   Link #18991
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Welp, we can close the thread now. Umineko is officially solved.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 02:52   Link #18992
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Yesterday!
Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I think you are overthinking about why Yasu thinks she's unfitted to love because of her wound.

Years spent on anime and manga taught me that japanese are very sensitive about the requirements to be in a relationship, see the old but never dying trope:

"Aaah a man saw my boobs! now I can't marry anymore!"

I think it's hard to understand why a wound, no matter how hideous, would be a problem from our 21st century western perspective. There are cases a lot worse than a simple wound, there are people that can't walk, see, hear, or that lack an arm or a leg and they still can find that special someone willing to accept their disabilities.

However no matter how much I think about it, it just doesn't make any sense for Yasu's wound to be anything major.

As I explained before, the only reasonable genital mangling is the loss of a male apparatus, which however is almost completely meaningless for someone whose greatest love is a straight guy and whose gender identity is female.

Even supposing the inverse case, that is: Yasu is female and the wound required the removal of her uterus (is it even possible in newborn babies?), it's still not a big deal in my book. There's a lot of sterile people who still marry.


So in the end the only possible explanation that I can find is that Yasu is exaggerating, no matter what kind of wound she suffered, Battler would just laugh and tell her that he doesn't care.

Anyway what I think that happened is that Yasu has a very hideous wound in her chest. The reason I believe this, it's because it's been hinted. No other wound has been hinted, so it must be it.
Not that I disagree with your points, but still, if Yasu has a furniture complex because of an ugly scar... well Yasu being nuts is like "I wouldn't put it past Kinzo" except that it removes the last bits of meaningful origins to it.

Also, Maria ends up being basically a sage next to Beatrice, the way you put it.
I mean if Magic is actually "overly melodramatising about your life to then try to escape it"...

Seriously, if that's right, Yasu's the single most pathetic character of any given story.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 03:05   Link #18993
Judoh
Mystery buff
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gone Fishin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Spoiler for Higurashi:
Yeah THIS. And I knew it was symbolic people. She first hears the idea after Dr.Takano (the grandfather) talks about the Devil's proof for instance. It's the same kind of idea as how an artist isn't appreciated until he dies. You live on through memory or legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Isn't Hanyuu revealed to be a space alien in Matsuri or something? I'm not sure and I may be mistaken.
Maybe sort of... Rena says that in Tsumihoroboshi and there is a spinoff of that arc in the alchemist games. It wasn't really "a reveal" though. It was bullshit from Takano's scrapbooks.

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-11-22 at 03:16.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 04:33   Link #18994
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Somewhere near Seattle
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Yeah THIS. And I knew it was symbolic people. She first hears the idea after Dr.Takano (the grandfather) talks about the Devil's proof for instance. It's the same kind of idea as how an artist isn't appreciated until he dies. You live on through memory or legacy.
However, that's also how kami can come to be in Shinto religious belief. Just saying. Again, I should note that kami is NOT directly analogous to the general Western view of god/s. "Supernatural entity" might be a closer approximation. "Spirit" is a taken a little too lightly though. As ineffectual as Hannyu seems, for that matter, she's actually relatively powerful for such a kami.


Quote:
Maybe sort of... Rena says that in Tsumihoroboshi and there is a spinoff of that arc in the alchemist games. It wasn't really "a reveal" though. It was bullshit from Takano's scrapbooks.
Well, going by the sea of kakera concept, we could suppose there is a 1/nth to the nth power possibility of a version of the Higurashi timeline that plays out identically to the canon one but involves a historical space alien origin for Hannyu...

As it is, I more or less view the anime versions of Higurashi and Umineko as alternate kakera scenarios...R07 even seems to acknowledge the anime version in Episode 7 when Will mentioned both Tsurupettan AND Dokkyun to Jessica.

Oh, and speaking of Tsurupettan, perhaps Jessica's lyrics moved Yasu in more ways than we realized...
__________________
---

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 04:58   Link #18995
Judoh
Mystery buff
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gone Fishin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
However, that's also how kami can come to be in Shinto religious belief. Just saying. Again, I should note that kami is NOT directly analogous to the general Western view of god/s. "Supernatural entity" might be a closer approximation. "Spirit" is a taken a little too lightly though. As ineffectual as Hannyu seems, for that matter, she's actually relatively powerful for such a kami.
I'm sure she's heard of the Shinto religious belief since she's a self proclaimed occult fanatic. The thing is though that Takano references the christian god not the Shinto Kami when she talks about this. Her idea had more to do with emulating God's wrath. She even quotes revelations.

Oh and I'll correct myself on what I said before. Takano's massacre wasn't directly associated to her wanting to become like god. I misunderstood that part. The murders were a means to an end to get her Grandfather's discovery recognition in Tokyo and at the same time it was revenge for what they did to him. There is a lot symbolism present likening godhood to making history. But it's not all there is to it to her motive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
Well, going by the sea of kakera concept, we could suppose there is a 1/nth to the nth power possibility of a version of the Higurashi timeline that plays out identically to the canon one but involves a historical space alien origin for Hannyu...
Someone somewhere out there has probably written something like that. But it would absolutely never be canon.

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-11-22 at 05:25.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 05:30   Link #18996
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Anyway what I think that happened is that Yasu has a very hideous wound in her chest.
Ah...! So, that's the reason behind that humongous protuberance in Shannon's chest.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 06:37   Link #18997
ijriims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: HK, China
To go along with this "Shannon hides her scar" idea, I remembered during EP2 inside Natushi's room, Beatrice said to Shannon that George only yearned for her body. Maybe George discovered the truth behind the pad, then Shannon found out what Beatrice said was true. Blood ensues.
__________________
Kýrie, eléison

Battler, you have already known it, right?

Without Love, it cannot be seen.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 06:57   Link #18998
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
George is/was a loser. I seriously doubt he has high standards. Not to mention the proposal takes place during the game. So, if he did find out, it must have happened before the game, and he ought to have accepted it. I mean, we have the whole deal with George saying he'd sacrifice his whole family for Shannon if he had to, to just ditch her because her boobs were not as big.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 09:46   Link #18999
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Isn't Kanon always killed by a chest wound?

ep1, he's staked in the chest.
ep2, he's run through.
ep3, all the victims have chest wounds.
ep4, the rocket blows a hole in his chest.

The only instance in which Kanon "dies" through any other kind of injury is when Shannon headshots him in ep6's duel, and that's more of a spiritual injury than a purported physical one.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 10:21   Link #19000
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Yesterday!
Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
Oh come on now you're going to claim he survived the self stabbing in arc 1 due to the hole never having healed and him being litterally able to put the stake through without suffering any additional damage.

... lol "the heart is important"...
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.