AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-11-24, 02:33   Link #1
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

About Poll!

Yesterday I created a thread with poll, but I forgot to add one more option. So I tried edit option but I was not allowed to change the poll, in the end I had to ask a mod to change it for me. So I was thinking if you could change this by giving us the power to change poll after the creation of the thread. Of course I am not asking to have unlimited power over poll changing. I was thinking more like how we have the ability to change the title of the thread in 10 min after the thread is created. So if you can make changes, so we can have option to change the poll after the tread has started it would be great (you can make the same as the title, meaning min 10 min).
Old 2010-11-24, 05:05   Link #2
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Short answer: unlikely to happen.

The forum doesn't offer that level of granularity. Currently you need to be a moderator before an administrator can give you the ability to edit polls; the standard user group system only offers "post" and "vote" as options. Basically unless someone writes software to do it; it isn't possible. I believe the current limitations are by design, which would make it unlikely that the developers will add the feature.

The issue with allowing anyone to change a poll is that the counts would be invalidated. If someone voted in the first 10 mins, and you add an option, they may have voted for that instead. Currently anyone editing a poll could change the counts too. While this is probably less of a problem in reality, it is still open to abuse. These could be worked around by simply removing all votes already cast, but there may be other issues trying to open up the current system to non-moderators.

In any case, the number of times we need to fix a poll is so small it doesn't justify the work needed to initially provide the feature and then keep it compatible with future versions of the forum software.
Old 2010-11-24, 06:50   Link #3
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for responding so fast

I know that ones poll has been made if you changed it then to votes so far will be last. Also I don't think think anyone will cheat by adding votes (it will look stupid if thread has been created minutes and already has high amount of votes (even more so because you can see how many people visited the thread, and almost all polls are made public so it's impossible to cheat without anyone noticing)).

I wasn't sure if this is possible because of the vbulletin. I thought because we have a title limit we can have a poll limit as well.

Thanks I and others will just have to ask a mod for help on this then.
Old 2010-11-24, 07:59   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Or spend an extra couple of minutes thinking carefully about the options to present before posting the poll. As one who once conducted polls professionally, I could spend half an hour sometimes on the wording and responses to just one question.

One recurring problem I see with polls in forums is the absence of a "none of the above" option. Another are polls with varying shades of gray among one range of responses (usually the positive ones) but no subtlety on the negative side. I suspect this reflects the prior beliefs of the person posting the poll who probably has a strong position on one side of a question or the other.