AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 59 44.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-29, 17:06   Link #1961
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
They did?
After the second whipping when Arf comes upon the unconscious Fate, you can see a cut on Fate's arm and some blood on the floor; and then Arf initiates her rage charge against Precia. There was probably some others, but I'd have to go back and look.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 17:11   Link #1962
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: My own delusions of grandeur.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
The series I felt was a bit more moving, primarily because of the way Arf saw Fate trying to walk after, mumbling about how she needed to help her mother. It made the impact of what just happened so much more powerful.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Of course, there is my whole quibble with Precia in the movie, too. The unrealistic "I suddenly remembered Alicia wanted a sister at the end!" thing. I liked her better in the series, because she wasn't crazy, so much as driven to get Alicia back at all costs. Thus, in the series, her whipping of Fate made more sense, because Fate could only ever be a tool there. In the movie, Fate could have been a sister, which means the whipping made less sense.
Well, she only remembered at the last second, long after said whipping took place, so I wasn't overly bothered by it. I thought the amount of Precia backstory helped better show why she was as obsessed as she was. The unfulfilled promises were a nice little touch. In the series, she comes off as just being a crazy villain who wants to bring back Alicia, but the movie really helps you identify with her by showing you all of her regrets. I think her actions made much more sense with those flashbacks than the pointless violence she displays in the series.
__________________
Blank-Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 17:13   Link #1963
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nanoha Used Car Dealership. RERISE!
Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Well seems the movie was trying to fix the point of why nanoha was awesome yet so inexperienced. In time she can cast those spells without RH, i guess.
__________________
For those that belittle their favorite characters, complain about pairings, complain about oversexed images. Stop, thank you.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 17:18   Link #1964
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berlin, Fatherland
I liked how Raising Heart acted like Clippy for Nanoha.

Nanoha didn't know immediately how to fight, Raising Heart first had to guide her, which makes a lot more sense.

That they added the "virtual training" thing from the manga was nice too. Making Raising Heart more human was a good move.

Wisdom and tactics, bitch.
__________________
Takamura Mamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 17:32   Link #1965
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
Well, she only remembered at the last second, long after said whipping took place, so I wasn't overly bothered by it. I thought the amount of Precia backstory helped better show why she was as obsessed as she was. The unfulfilled promises were a nice little touch. In the series, she comes off as just being a crazy villain who wants to bring back Alicia, but the movie really helps you identify with her by showing you all of her regrets. I think her actions made much more sense with those flashbacks than the pointless violence she displays in the series.
I understand where you're coming from; I just don't believe that Precia somehow forgot all this time what Alicia wanted more than anything else. It feels like a huge gaping hole. The Precia of the series kept everything in mind, but was still determined; she knew the consequences ad yet forged ahead because she was broken by losing someone she loved.

The Precia of the movie was so batshit insane that somehow she forgot important details only to suddenly recall them at odd moments. She didn't realize the consequences of her actions, and thus it felt more like she was crazy, doing things for little reason. While seeing Precia's backstory was nice, I think we all pretty much guessed why she was acting the way she was, way back when we first watched S1. In short, it didn't really need to be shown, or at least fit into an OVA series, or flashbacks in a different movie.

In fact, I might write a script for a Nanoha movie, hmm....

One other thing: in a movie that has to cut a lot, one should really question whether something needs to be added. Having Precia get that flashback takes time away from something else that could have been shown. So, as a general principle, I'm against adding things that don't need to be added; I'd rather have more important things shown.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 17:36   Link #1966
Goldsmith
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
why can't i give this an 11/10
Goldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 18:05   Link #1967
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
I liked how Raising Heart acted like Clippy for Nanoha.

Nanoha didn't know immediately how to fight, Raising Heart first had to guide her, which makes a lot more sense.
But it doesn't, really. Raising Heart did more than guide her. She completely took control of the fight. There is no reason for Nanoha to become "good" if RH needs her so little.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 18:10   Link #1968
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
RH: "I am a vehicle without a driver."

I think it's the other way around, RH. Nanoha is the vehicle RH drives!
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 18:12   Link #1969
aers
Senior Member
*Fansubber
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
You guys are acting like RH had complete control of Nanoha for the entire movie.

Wut?
aers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 18:43   Link #1970
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by aers View Post
You guys are acting like RH had complete control of Nanoha for the entire movie.

Wut?
Not necessarily the whole movie, but the first fight, yeah. And seeing how well RH was doing, I have to ask:
- what's the point of Nanoha learning anything?
- what about the other fights? How would we tell the difference if it was Nanoha doing the heavy lifting?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 18:46   Link #1971
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
Meh, Precia's backstory was more so you can see why she went crazy, though I don't see why she deserved to be sympathized with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo
The series I felt was a bit more moving, primarily because of the way Arf saw Fate trying to walk after, mumbling about how she needed to help her mother. It made the impact of what just happened so much more powerful.
Am quite sad they removed that part. ;-;
I thought the new cake scene was nice, though....But maybe that's just my fanboy talking.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 19:29   Link #1972
leodamine
Divine Akuma
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I thought the cake looked nice too. That floor's so clean, I'd eat that thing off of it.
__________________
I wish I had a cool quote to put here
leodamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 20:15   Link #1973
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
I'd actually recommend the movie over the series to newcomers, as we avoid all the bath-houses / giant tree monsters / unimportant family moments, and get straight to the business of befriending.

By the way, is anyone subbing the commentary? 'Cause I'd love to hear it.
Hah, yea. The first part of Nanoha is a huge bump that's hard for a lot of viewers to get over. I suppose the movie created its own with loli tits >.> but for the most part I think it would make a better impression on the uninitiated. People like crap blowing up, usually.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 20:58   Link #1974
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not necessarily the whole movie, but the first fight, yeah. And seeing how well RH was doing, I have to ask:
- what's the point of Nanoha learning anything?
- what about the other fights? How would we tell the difference if it was Nanoha doing the heavy lifting?
Because RH herself said so. RH is no more than a vessel that allows Nanoha can use to cast magic. However everything else in combat is supposed to be Nanoha's. There is only so much that RH can do herself in duels where the enemy is a fellow mage instead of some Jewel Seed creatures.

Do notice that Nanoha in the first fight was kinda slow when it comes to spell reaction and casting. If she ever wants to become a professional level mage (as she will in the future) Nanoha will have to pick up the slack and stop relying on RH for all combat decisions.

Analogy: Starcraft 2 v 2 with a medium AI partner. Your AI partner is advanced enough that you can sit back and just let the AI demolish your enemies its own, but only for enemies of a level similar or lower to it. If your enemies are on Hard or Brutal AI, or worse are skilled humans your medium AI partner will not be able to do much unless you contribute to your share of the offensive and step up your game.
__________________

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 21:15   Link #1975
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo
I dunno, the animation seemed about equal to what I saw in Season 1. Maybe a bit better. I assume if I were actually watching the Blue-Ray in HQ on an HDTV, it would probably be much better.
Late, but since I got the images to make the comparison, I will.

The quality I assume you were watching, which is still really good compared to S1


And the HD Bluray quality


Hard to deny how crisp the animation is in comparison to anything of S1 or any season for that matter.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 21:29   Link #1976
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I honestly can't tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, the blue-ray is a tiny bit better, but to me, it's not enough to notice much difference. Everyone is different, though.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 21:32   Link #1977
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
Really?

Well then, I guess that comparison is moot.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 21:43   Link #1978
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Really?

Well then, I guess that comparison is moot.
Could at least have used the same scene for comparison
__________________

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 21:43   Link #1979
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The movie definitely blows season 1 out of the water in terms of visuals. Season 1 looked kinda cheap. There's just a ton more details in the characters' eyes, water, smoke, light, etc. The battles come alive instead of the turn system they used in the tv series.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 21:47   Link #1980
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Could at least have used the same scene for comparison
I only had the HQ image, and had to ask someone to grab me a LQ image.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.