AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 31 34.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 27.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 15.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 12.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 5.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-12-06, 11:15   Link #61
ion475
にこにこにー
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 国立音ノ木坂学院
I seriously don't know what people are expecting in terms of development. It makes a serious introduction to Kanako (This is the first episode in which she appeared more than 10 seconds) and well, her character. Nothing more, nothing less, and people are not satisfied b/c it doesn't involved Kirino suddenly going all deredere and sleep with Kyousuke, or Ayase confessing to Kyousuke (At least Kyousuke was waiting for it XD).

Quote:
Kanako didn't develop, she just made a British otaku, who flew all the way from London specifically for this contest, cry.
Well, treat this episode as the first serious introduction of Kanako...

Quote:
Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughter house 5) once listed the 8 rules for short stories, and I am going to list them because I pretty much agree and think they are very applicable to what is so far just a 1 cour anime (1 cour is pretty short).
Seriously, comparing a non-original 1 cour anime and a short story just doesn't apply. You have the adaptation (novel) going on, and your role as an animator is to adapt the material, although having some freedom here and there. But if they go completely off topic, loyal novel reader (like me) would be super-piss and I'm pretty sure wrath of 2ch would be worse. Best solution? Use the novel stuff, cut something here and there while add in stuff here and there for the whole story to at least make sense.

Lastly, in case you don't know, the anime (as of right now) would branch at episode 11. Episode 12 on TV would be the original ending (So at least makes people that only watch this 1 cour having a conclusion), with Internet broadcast Episode 12-15 being adaptation (of Vol. 5, I assume) b/c it's just hard to stop the anime at the cliffhanger of Vol. 4. 2nd season? Probably won't be until the novel nearly finish.

If anything you want to complain, it's the consequences of adapting from material that's still going on - you can never have a good stopping point b/c the story rolls over to next chapter / volume all the time.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-12-06 at 11:44.
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 11:22   Link #62
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 33
It's funny that in the same ep they include the Fate spoof cover, they dress Kyousuke up to look like Zero Lancer...
__________________
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 11:47   Link #63
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
I seriously don't know what people are expecting in terms of development. It makes a serious introduction to Kanako (This is the first episode in which she appeared more than 10 seconds) and well, her character. Nothing more, nothing less, and people are not satisfied b/c it doesn't involved Kirino suddenly going all deredere and sleep with Kyousuke, or Ayase confessing to Kyousuke (At least Kyousuke was waiting for it XD).
Introducing a character that late in a -anime series- is anything but smart. Whereas I see no problem to make such introduction in the original medium, we are basically introduced with a not so new character 2 episodes before the final episode.
Please reconsider the context of some comments. It isn't even about Kanako being the problem, but the direction the series has taken for this episode.

Also, the "naysayers" aren't exactly trying to roll on the "development discussion" into the same arguments you know. And please by any means, stop generalizing people, pretending they want Kirino to go all dere etc. That's a sketch in term of interpreting the issues mentioned.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 11:50   Link #64
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This episode is demonstrative of where Ore no Imouto should probably go from now on. And that's pure comedy. As pure comedy, it can be a decently entertaining romp, and the more extreme flaws of the various characters (especially Kirino) serve comedy well, but tend to undermine drama (for reasons that I went into at length in previous episode review threads, so I'm not going to rehash them again).

Episode 8 struck me as very dramatic, serious, and suspenseful, and it was probably the episode I liked the least out of all 10.

This episode is just about pure comedy, and I had a pretty good time watching it.

Basically, this cast of characters, with considerable eccentricities and over-the-top natures, probably work better in a comedy than in a drama. At least they do if the anime intends for them to be largely static, which certainly seems to be the case.

I argued before that Kirino is very static, but even Kyousuke doesn't really seem to be going anywhere as a character either.

Furthermore, good drama means you don't just forget important plot points, and this anime seems to be doing that a lot.

However, for a comedy, this is a cut or two above average. It handles slapstick comedy with a certain panache that sets it apart from the crowd, and the frequently hammy voice acting really helps a lot here. This anime also is very skillful at irony and spoofing and lampooning (this particular episode lampooned Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, and even its fandom to some degree, with impressive skill).

As a comedy, this anime is a success.

As a drama, this anime is quite a failure.

So, I hope it stops trying to be a drama, and just settles for being a comedy.

That being said...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post

While character development and storyline certainly aren't getting as much care as they should, let's face it - that's not what makes series sell these days.
I have to disagree with you here, and am a bit surprised to read this take from you, LS.

NGE is the best selling anime of all-time, and it has plenty of character development and storyline.

Most (if not all) of the Gundam animes also have plenty of character development and storyline, and they sell extremely well too.

Code Geass had a very complex storyline, and loads of character development, and it sold very well.

Nanoha A's had excellent character development, and simple but solid storylines, and it sold well.

Bakemonogatari had a tight overarching plot, several solid arcs, and mostly smooth character development. It sold quite well.

Ditto for Clannad and Clannad: After Story.

And I could go on and on and on here. The vast majority of well-selling animes have good character development, and intriguing storylines.


Quote:

On your argument, Reckoner - K-ON is very much the contradiction of that format, because despite being the anti of that train of thought as well as cranking Mary Sue style characters,
You find K-On's characters to be Mary Sues? Really?


Quote:
...it's raking in the cash big time. Why? Because it's effective at marketing.
Sure, but good marketing is not mutually exclusive with good drama, and we shouldn't pretend that it is.


Quote:

And this is the state of the industry. Want success? Market effectively to your target audience. Quality suddenly becomes arbitrary to a point.
No it's not. A good quality anime will get you more viewers and buyers than a poor quality one, all else being equal.


Quote:

So again I say, if a person is going to watch Oreimo on the basis of story and the like, they are bound to be disappointed. This is not what the series is selling itself on.
Ok, let's back up here a bit.

Ore no Imouto had a lot of drama in its first five episodes. It took itself and it's characters and it's narrative fairly seriously at that point. It was clearly selling itself, in part, as having gripping drama (you honestly found nothing the least bit dramatic or intense about Kyousuke's confrontation with his father, or about the various confrontations between Ayase and Kirino?).

Really, I can understand where Reckoner is coming from. If an anime presents itself as having a lot of drama and storyline-focus for the first five episodes, then that will create a certain level of expectation in the minds of many viewers for what to expect of the anime going forward.

It's great that Ore no Imouto does comedy well, but after doing a lot of drama in the first five episodes, I don't think we should fault folks for expecting this anime to continue to deliver on that (which honestly I don't think it has).


Quote:
It's selling itself on Kirino and the side cast along with their merchandise marketability, aesthetics, moments that are gold for humour or moe-related reasons, along with the occassional tense/tender moment. Honestly, if the episode really parodying the series itself about an anime being made off a single volume as well as the rushed nature of this series wasn't an indicator to not take this series too seriously, what is?
Well that was Episode 8. Even if someone takes that episode the way that you did (and I certainly didn't), the anime has already left a different impression with the first few episodes.
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2010-12-06 at 19:12.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 11:54   Link #65
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Can anyone tell me what that note from Saori and Kuroneko (that Kyousuke was reading as Ayase and Kanako arrived) said?
ID555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 12:08   Link #66
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the magical land of Moonswell pass
Age: 19
Only thing I don't like about these episodes is the lack of Kyousuke and Kirino interactions which I love so much, theres only 1 or 2 then the rest of the time he is with someone else
__________________

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 12:09   Link #67
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Honestly, I've been lucky enough to have avoided the "Keitaro-punch" effect for a long time til now. I seriously had to stop the show for the moment because it was just ridiculous that Ayase did that when HE WAS TRYING TO HELP HER after SHE asked HIM for help .

It seems I'd much prefer to see Kyo interact with Saori and Kuroneko than bother dealing with Kirino or any of her bitchy friends.

The Meruru singing was great.

Even though Kanako came off Kirino-like after she had shed her 'mask', she actually showed a nice side to her and speaks honestly, which is something that Kirino's never done in these past 10 eps >=0[.

Last edited by frubam; 2010-12-06 at 12:44.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 12:21   Link #68
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 23
Looks like this episode was more Ayase development based, made me actually to like her at some point again. It must have been hard to go so far with plan that she didn't like, even though it was Kanako who actually played biggest part.

I really wish that someone would tell Kirino that moments ago she was having a nosebleed over one of her best friends. Wonder how she would react.

Even though Kanako is also bratty, I wish she would get more screen time. Somehow she seems more likeble than Kirino. Though, don't have much complaints against Kirino this time around. Except maybe random slap.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 12:32   Link #69
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
am i the only one who's starting to think Kirino is getting way more violent/abusive then she has a right to towards Kyosuke ?

that slap she gave him when he asked "what are you, my girlfriend" was way beyond tsun tsun.
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 13:01   Link #70
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
I can't believe Kyousuke actually asked a 14-year-old to cosplay as the Dark Witch. He deserved the punch this time. The Kuroneko scenes were nice. As for the rest of the epis... zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Found this on 4ch:
Pretty damn accurate. If anything, Kyousuke is a damn good sandbag.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 13:12   Link #71
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 26
Anyone else love some of the artwork in this episode? The background and scenery from that park area where Kyosuke meets up with Ayase was pretty fucking beautiful, I thought.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 13:18   Link #72
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I very strongly disagree with you here, and am a bit surprised to read you say this, LS.

NGE is the best selling anime of all-time, and it has plenty of character development and storyline.

Most (if not all) of the Gundam animes also have plenty of character development and storyline, and they sell extremely well too.

Code Geass had a very complex storyline, and loads of character development, and it sold very well.

Nanoha A's had excellent character development, and simple but solid storylines, and it sold well.

Bakemonogatari had a tight overarching plot, several solid arcs, and mostly smooth character development. It sold quite well.

Ditto for Clannad and Clannad: After Story.

And I could go on and on and on here. The vast majority of well-selling animes have good character development, and intriguing storylines.


Sure, but good marketing is not mutually exclusive with good drama, and we shouldn't pretend that it is.


No it's not. A good quality anime will get you more viewers and buyers than a poor quality one, all else being equal.
Now that I think about it, this is a bit off-topic, so I put in a spoiler box (besides, it 's a bit long, not more than usual though). I don't know if any continuing discussion should be done here, or at least it needs to tie in more to Ore Imo somehow.

Spoiler for reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Ok, let's back up here a bit.

Ore no Imouto had a lot of drama in its first five episodes. It took itself and it's characters and it's narrative fairly seriously at that point. It was clearly selling itself, in part, as having gripping drama (you honestly found nothing the least bit dramatic or intense about Kyousuke's confrontation with his father, or about the various confrontations between Ayase and Kirino?).

Really, I can understand where Reckoner is coming from. If an anime presents itself as having a lot of drama and storyline-focus for the first five episodes, then that will create a certain level of expectation in the minds of many viewers for what to expect of the anime going forward.

It's great that Ore no Imouto does comedy well, but after doing a lot of drama in the first five episodes, I don't think we should fault folks for expecting this anime to continue to deliver on that (which honestly I don't think it has).
I completely agree with you at this point. Taking myself as an example, I come in the series blind and based on the first 5 ep, I'm thinking of this as a serious drama as well. Not that it'll be completely dark or anything, as there'll be some comedy here and there as well, but this is something that I can take seriously. If someone behaving strangely, there's a good reason behind it unlike in regular comedy (don't think too much about it/that's what makes it funny lol).

And really, it's because of this that I found myself not enjoying episodes after ep 5, or finding Kirino really insufferable. So yeah, I agree that thinking of it more as a comedy is perhaps more suitable for enjoying it, although I suspect we'll be having some more drama moments as well near the end of the season to act as a finale.
__________________
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 13:54   Link #73
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I believe they changed the OP up a little which included that "epic battle" scene. Just watch the whole OP again and you'll find it, and a couple of new scenes
ah, that explains a lot. i usually skip the op.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 14:29   Link #74
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
So sad Ayase didn't actually cosplay. Love it when characters are put into ironic situations.

Didn't actually like this episode much, as it pretty much involves Kana-whats-her-face. I mean, I like her character archetype and all, but at 10 episodes in and a whole bunch of other characters introduced, it's hard to muster up any sort of interest towards new ones. Really, I'd take Saori- or Kuroneko-focused episodes over this, as that actually develops established characters, rather than reveal the details of a 'new' character like Kanakana.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Found this on 4ch:
Is it no wonder he's really tending towards Manami? Bwahahahahaha!
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 14:36   Link #75
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
I think an entire series is too long to qualify as a short story. If there are 20 minutes of content in each episode, a 1 cour show is still at least 4 hours long. That's like two normal-length movies. I think that if you view this specific episode as a short story, though, it fulfills all eight rules.
You misunderstand. I said "applicable" for a reason. A 1 cour anime is not exactly a "short story," but I meant that many of the rules of short stories fit in the context of a short 1 cour anime.

A classical definition of short stories is the ability to finish within one sitting if so desired. Ore no Imouto being 4 hours long, this is definitely doable. Hence, I believe I am correct in being able to apply such kinds of rules (Whether you agree with such rules being used to judge the story in the first place is up you, but I'm trying to explain why I view this anime as going badly). I'd reply to the rest of your post directed at me, but seeing as I am looking at this episode in the context of the entire show and not at the episode itself, its a bit irrelevant to my points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Was wondering how this show would be holding up at this point.

Overall, fairly well. I never expected this to be a groundbreaker or something epic. Early on, I had it marked as a 7.5-8/10 series that had a well-aimed plan at who it was marketing to and supplying the moments/features needed to win over fans in its genre. And that is what I still think of it. Certainly it's meandered around a fair bit in the last 5 or so episodes, focusing far more on fleshing out some characters or going for moneyshot moments. But it still entertains overall despite some frustration over the story stalling or going off on a tangent.

Really, if you're going into this series expecting a gripping story or the like, you're bound to be disappointed. This is a series with some quirks and sass and a female lead that is tailor-made to be a tsundere icon. Hey, I have 2 Kirino figures on pre-order - need I say more?
Great. This anime is geared towards marketing cute girls who may or not have pleasant personalities. I think that's been pretty clear from the start. What hasn't been clear is whether or not they want to actually tell a story. As Triple_R pointed out, the first 5 episodes or so of this show were definitely building up a dramatic narrative, despite all the silly comedy going on (Which albeit funny, starts to ware out over the course of a show due to its repetitiveness).

I personally was under the impression that while they were going to tell a story, they were going to market it as well. Take Evangelion, one of Triple_R's examples... Yes, it has a story, it has a narrative, it has complexity. What else does it also have? Oh yeah, two girls, Asuka and Rei (Rei especially in Japan) that were marketed to hell. Evangelion is a clear cut example of a story that was marketed extremely well, and milked for its every penny, while still presenting a story that stayed true to its narrative (Whether you liked it or not).

On the other hand, Ore no Imouto has completely disregarded its narrative post episode 5-6. I'm waiting for something to happen, I'm waiting to learn more about these characters, and as far as I can see, its become a badly told story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
While character development and storyline certainly aren't getting as much care as they should, let's face it - that's not what makes series sell these days. Reckoner's points may apply to short story literature in general or to animes that are story-oriented/aiming to be top notch. They don't apply to this. Because it's a completely different game/market with a whole new set of rules. This is not a series based on story - at least in anime form, not sure what the manga-ka wants to do since only 1 volume was around when this was converted. This is one based on marketing Kirino, as well as her counterparts to a degree.

On your argument, Reckoner - K-ON is very much the contradiction of that format, because despite being the anti of that train of thought as well as cranking Mary Sue style characters, it's raking in the cash big time. Why? Because it's effective at marketing.

And this is the state of the industry. Want success? Market effectively to your target audience. Quality suddenly becomes arbitrary to a point.
I'm going to call you out on a red herring on this one.

I'm not trying to argue whether or not this series is going to sell well. I'm trying to evaluate the worth of this story in terms of quality and what it does for the anime industry. So far, the quality is suffering tremendously, and it does nothing to stand out from other shows of this nature.

Whether or not it sells well is a whole other story. But as I said above, I do make the argument that not only can you market a story well, but you can also tell a good story at the same time despite what your beliefs may be (Which should in fact will help your marketing at the same time!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
So again I say, if a person is going to watch Oreimo on the basis of story and the like, they are bound to be disappointed. This is not what the series is selling itself on. It's selling itself on Kirino and the side cast along with their merchandise marketability, aesthetics, moments that are gold for humour or moe-related reasons, along with the occassional tense/tender moment. Honestly, if the episode really parodying the series itself about an anime being made off a single volume as well as the rushed nature of this series wasn't an indicator to not take this series too seriously, what is?
If you tell a story, you're supposed to tell something, even if its about "nothing" (Seinfeld ). Ore no Imouto presented itself as a drama with comedy spliced into it. I expect it to tell the story of a drama. So far its done the comedy fairly OK (Though because of the dramatic elements presented it the story, it's made some of the gags like Kirino hitting Kyousuke go sour). The drama on the other hand has been sucked into a black hole and forgotten about almost it seems. Thus as it was presented as a dramatic/comedy story, I will hold it to that.

Again, whether or not the end goal is to make money (Well it pretty much is for the studios) is irrelevant. K-ON!, isn't a bad story to people like me just because it appears to be a show filled only with cute girls doing cute things or what have you, but because it presents a garbled up narrative that is pretty much chewed up and thrown up at the audience. Sure it sells well, and that's fine, but that doesn't mean its a good story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
I seriously don't know what people are expecting in terms of development. It makes a serious introduction to Kanako (This is the first episode in which she appeared more than 10 seconds) and well, her character. Nothing more, nothing less, and people are not satisfied b/c it doesn't involved Kirino suddenly going all deredere and sleep with Kyousuke, or Ayase confessing to Kyousuke (At least Kyousuke was waiting for it XD).

Well, treat this episode as the first serious introduction of Kanako...
Uhm. Wut?

This season is about to end. The narrative from the first 5-6 episodes has been completely detached from this series despite the season ending. Introducing Kananko would've been great for a second season. But right now, we're trying to tell the story of the first season. Hence there needs to be a conclusion to SOMETHING from the narrative. Or rather, at least something significant needs to have happened by the end. Its not about Kirino suddenly going dere dere for Kyousuke. My god, that's not what I care about at all.

I could care less if a bitch goes dere dere for a guy (One of my favorite characters is Asuka from NGE, and she's far more bitchy that Kirino is, some like to call her the Queen Bitch). It's all about putting characters actions in context of events of the story. Right now, we are unable to comprehend why Kirino reacts so strongly to Kyousuke about everything. As far as we know, there is no real reason. Simply distance between siblings over time is just not going to cut it at this point. She's either a bitch without a cause or a bitch with one. If it's the latter fine, it's a character I can sympathize with (Like Asuka from NGE), if its the former, what am I supposed to get out of this if like I said before I can't root for a single character in this show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Seriously, comparing a non-original 1 cour anime and a short story just doesn't apply. You have the adaptation (novel) going on, and your role as an animator is to adapt the material, although having some freedom here and there. But if they go completely off topic, loyal novel reader (like me) would be super-piss and I'm pretty sure wrath of 2ch would be worse. Best solution? Use the novel stuff, cut something here and there while add in stuff here and there for the whole story to at least make sense.
Why yes, it does. I'll restate what I mentioned above... Classical definition of a short story is the ability to finish in one sitting. A 1 cour anime is approximately 4 hours of content. Even if it was 5, that still is enough time to finish it in one sitting. That's why I think many of the rules are applicable, because really, it is very short.

And the adaption of the novels doesn't matter. This is an anime, that is produced in cours. For this show we are given one cour. Thus, I expect it to finish or present us a significant conclusion to something from our little narrative in the first 5 episodes. They have little time to waste in a 1 cour anime, and they've wasted about 4 episodes now. That's almost 1/3 of the season gone to complete fluff. And not only is this 1/3 of the season apparently pointless or irrelevant to our presented narrative in the first 5-6 episodes, it actually contradicts our narrative! The character actions don't make sense or simply add up!

Sorry, I don't find this acceptable story telling. There's a difference in the mediums between light novels and anime. Haruhi for example, the 2006 version at least, was aired in a manner that brought us to a brilliant conclusion with a spectacular narrative. And this was despite it being based on light novels and mix and matching stories from all over the place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Lastly, in case you don't know, the anime (as of right now) would branch at episode 11. Episode 12 on TV would be the original ending (So at least makes people that only watch this 1 cour having a conclusion), with Internet broadcast Episode 12-15 being adaptation (of Vol. 5, I assume) b/c it's just hard to stop the anime at the cliffhanger of Vol. 4. 2nd season? Probably won't be until the novel nearly finish.
Oh fantastic, another anime season that continues on after its broadcasting. Anime studios are starting to pick up bad habits from Bakemonogatari I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
If anything you want to complain, it's the consequences of adapting from material that's still going on - you can never have a good stopping point b/c the story rolls over to next chapter / volume all the time.
That's not an excuse, and other animes have shown that they can work around this like Haruhi mentioned above.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 14:37   Link #76
ion475
にこにこにー
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 国立音ノ木坂学院
Quote:
And really, it's because of this that I found myself not enjoying episodes after ep 5, or finding Kirino really insufferable. So yeah, I agree that thinking of it more as a comedy is perhaps more suitable for enjoying it, although I suspect we'll be having some more drama moments as well near the end of the season to act as a finale.
Well, drama will come back next episode. The chapter this episode is base on (Vol. 4, Ch. 1) is basically that - a side story around Ayase (and Kanako).

As for you comment about after episode 5...let see
Episode 6 - Story around Manami. Basically take Vol. 2 Ch. 2 and Vol. 3 Ch. 2 (Both Manami story) and put them together. It's good for anime continuity reason (Since Vol. 2 Ch. 2 is somewhat disconnected from the rest of story anyway). Since it's side story, normal that one would view it as a fillter...
Episode 7 - Kirino development episode (Vol. 3 Ch. 1/3). You can tell the discontinuity in the episode between part A (Ch. 1) and part B (Ch. 3). Even the director for Part A and Part B are different...
Episode 8 - Dark history for any novel reader XD
Episode 9 - Anime original, so filler is what it is.

Although, yeah, the whole Vol. 4 just seems weird anyway (even when I first read it). But then, it's b/c Fushimi tries to wrap up a part of the story by the end of the volume...

Do the original novel lack drama/development? Not really...Vol. 5 is full of it. Vol. 7 = as dramatic as it can get...but obviously, both of those would be after where the anime (TV version) end...

So, the question would be, couldn't they have thrown this episode to an earlier part so Kanako is seriously introduced earlier? Well, kind of, although they would have to take out all the stuff related to the party (next episode). I mean, they did that with the Manami stories (Vol. 2 Ch. 2 and Vol. 3 Ch. 2).

EDIT:
Quote:
That's not an excuse, and other animes have shown that they can work around this like Haruhi mentioned above.
Comparing it to Haruhi just doesn't work...Haruhi novel definitely have breakpoints (Not like the anime is complete for THAT either). Then, you can always have Index where the "ending" of Season 1 is not your typical ending...

The only thing bad about the anime (definitely)? The pacing is horrible...the drama parts are rushed while the comedy part (side stories) always get a full episode...

If any introductions are late, well, I guess AIC is expecting a second season...

Not like I completely disagree with you, though, there's a reason why I rate this episode a 9 instead of the normal 10. It is what it is - a presentation of material from the novel, nothing more, nothing less. Unessential to the story, not quite as funny as the original novel, and the development IS minimal other than this episode being the first that focused around Kanako...

The only disagreement is that I just don't see the point of rating an episode a 1 just b/c it don't have development. Sure, it's late in the anime, at least we don't have a recap don't we XD (Cough...Fukuda...) nor there would be anything that pops out of nowhere (Cough...Destiny Plan...). 2 episodes is more than enough to wrap things up anyway...

Last edited by ion475; 2010-12-06 at 14:51.
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 14:58   Link #77
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
The only disagreement is that I just don't see the point of rating an episode a 1 just b/c it don't have development.
I literally was in a pain. I came into the episode with a head ache, and came out with twice as much pain.

In my opinion, 2 episodes is very little time to do anything significant without rushing development. A cliffhanger in this kind of show wouldn't be very good IMO. Anything they do is most likely going to feel rushed to me and/or insignificant.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 15:11   Link #78
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
While I can certainly agree with a lot of the points being made about the flaws with this anime, but we can also sum this argument up with:

Can we truly compare a finished product (I.e. - Code Geass, Clannad, etc.) with an on-going one?

At some point we all have to deal with the fact that we won't get a real ending until the light novels are finished. If anything, we should just enjoy the anime for what it currently is. This series is an early teaser if they decide to continue it after the novels have been completed and unfortunately, that's an if. You can argue that the first 5 episodes were certainly taking this show into a nice direction, but you have to keep in mind that the anime will have to take some liberties if we consider the on-going novel and any other limitations set by god knows who.

This show was also limited to a 1 cour, so in the end they are very limited with what they can do. I can't deny that this show was a little disappointing, but I never expected them to create a gem out of a 1 cour anime especially with the novels on-going.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 15:21   Link #79
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Let me just say that this is a thread to discuss Epsiode 10. If you wish to discuss your expectations for the overall anime compared to what you've gotten, I would invite you to go to the General Discussion thread, or the Speculation & Theories thread, or I could even create a new thread for this purpose if someone proposes the topic in the Request thread. We've been having what essentially amounts to the same debate for almost 4 weeks now, and that might be avoided if it were all just pooled into one thread so the same debate doesn't recycle.

For future discussion in this thread, please keep it centered on what happened in this episode, as that is the topic here.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 15:33   Link #80
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Now that I think about it, this is a bit off-topic, so I put in a spoiler box (besides, it 's a bit long, not more than usual though). I don't know if any continuing discussion should be done here, or at least it needs to tie in more to Ore Imo somehow.
There's a lengthy reply to that under the spoiler section below. And yes, it is a bit off-topic, so people not interested in that tangent can skip over that spoiler space, and read my reply to what you had to say on Ore no Imouto itself.

Spoiler for reply:



Quote:
I completely agree with you at this point. Taking myself as an example, I come in the series blind and based on the first 5 ep, I'm thinking of this as a serious drama as well. Not that it'll be completely dark or anything, as there'll be some comedy here and there as well, but this is something that I can take seriously. If someone behaving strangely, there's a good reason behind it unlike in regular comedy (don't think too much about it/that's what makes it funny lol).
That was my take, too. I felt that Ore no Imouto would have a level of serious drama more or less on par with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. In other words, the comedic anime hijinks are there, but there's actually a good in-canon reason behind it all beyond simply wanting to make the audience laugh.

With Ore no Imouto, I'm starting to get the sense that there's really no point to the slapstick comedy except being slapstick comedy. In other words, I don't know if it's supposed to say anything about the characters involved any more.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.