AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-10-08, 06:36   Link #1
luffy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to luffy
anyone know of so good realtime stradegy games

anyone know of so good realtime stradegy games...ex strar craft, red aleart(s), war craft.....
__________________
im finally a senior member yay! also the first person to get a negative rep.
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 12:28   Link #2
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by luffy
anyone know of so good realtime stradegy games...ex strar craft, red aleart(s), war craft.....
well, obviously, Starcraft and Warcraft 3 are the 2 greats- the expansion packs are also fantastic....

however....there is another RTS series that gets overlooked a lot- The Warlords Battlecry games are great! I've only played the second, but I've heard that the third is supposed to be very good as well. I recommend the second now because it can be found for 10-20 bucks. Basically, there are somewhere between 12-15 different races with their own different units. The races aren't as well differentiated as Starcraft but, each race has different weaknesses strengths..ie great ranged units, sucky building strength, etc. One of the things that really distinguishes it is that you carry over your hero (who can level up and gain different abilities) as well as a few of your strongest units between different maps (very cool, you get sad when one of your strongest, most beloved warriors finally dies in some collossal battle). There is no overall story- instead, all of the races are working to dominate some 30-40 different provinces. Which provinces you decide to play gives you certain unit advantages, etc. You can even control other races once you conquer their home provinces. There some 120 something different units, sooo.....good stuff. Oh, and the music while scant, is quite good- one of the tracks from the Twelve Kingdoms OST is on here for some reason- must be some kind of traditional song.
__________________
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 13:30   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Time Warp/Future
The new Rome Total War, and Kohan 2. Great RTS games with some interesting twists and innovations... actually I'll just recommend the whole Total War series and Kohan series
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 14:32   Link #4
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Milpitas, CA, USA
Hmm, you mentioned Starcraft, so it looks like you are open to some older games. I'm going to recommend two:

The first Homeworld game was a blast. It involved starship combat in 3d space. It was really pretty and was very fun to play. Unfortunatly, Relic followed up with the mostly sucky HW2 and killed the franchise.

The other RTS game I'm going to recommend is Mechcommander Gold. The cool thing about this game was there wasn't any building. You put together your mechs between missions from purchases and salvaged enemies. Also, your pilots got better after they went on missions. Some people thought it was hard because there was no in mission save, but it wasn't that bad, and the Gold version had easy difficulty if you needed it. Sadly, Micro$oft got a hold of FASA's Battletech franchise, released the mostly sucky MC2 and killed the Mechcommander franchise (although you can get action mech games on the Xbox, blech).

I played both games on a P3-600 with a TNT2 card so you should have no problem. Also, they're cheap now as they're a few years old.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 15:32   Link #5
Entropy
Flame warrior
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 27
Quote:
The first Homeworld game was a blast. It involved starship combat in 3d space. It was really pretty and was very fun to play. Unfortunatly, Relic followed up with the mostly sucky HW2 and killed the franchisep
pbbbssttt...it was VU for the most part killed the franchise.I don't totally let Relic off the hook when it comes to HW2,but from the dev diaries that quite frankly say that VU dropped the ball when it came to supporting HW2 to the patch debacle(It took 3 months for some incredibly obvious issues that should have been addressed as soon as possible for VU to commission Relic to make a patch and let it through QA testing) as well as the infamous "Marweas incident" it was cleared that VU had turned Sierra into a shadow of it's former self.

Besides,Relic pretty much redeemed themselves with Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War anyway,which actually does a good job of covering the original poster's examples while introducing newer stuff like morale and cover as well as a different kind of economy.

Oh and the aforementioned R:TW is great for those who want a very different kind of strategy game .
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 15:47   Link #6
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Milpitas, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy
pbbbssttt...it was VU for the most part killed the franchise.I don't totally let Relic off the hook when it comes to HW2,but from the dev diaries that quite frankly say that VU dropped the ball when it came to supporting HW2 to the patch debacle(It took 3 months for some incredibly obvious issues that should have been addressed as soon as possible for VU to commission Relic to make a patch and let it through QA testing) as well as the infamous "Marweas incident" it was cleared that VU had turned Sierra into a shadow of it's former self.
Heh, I stopped going to the Relic forum when that Sierra rep basically told me to fuck off when I was posting my ideas for HW2. This was just after the "box incident." He said that I maybe I shouldn't be projecting what I thought the game should be and instead accept what it would be. What a tool. I even made a parallel to what happened to the Mechcommander franchise with what they were doing to HW. Oh well. Still makes me sad.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 19:01   Link #7
Entropy
Flame warrior
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 27
Oh I see,well...I stayed

But seriously though,he got pissed off and did pretty much the same thing later to the entire community and left just like that,hence the "Marweas incident".He did the worst thing that someone in his position could possibly do,screw with the customer.YOU DO NOT SCREW WITH THE CUSTOMER!!!You do not simply tell someone who's going to buy your product to fuck off when your living depends on them buying your stuff.

He even managed to dig his hole even deeper when he managed to bring the ridicule from sites like Penny Arcade.The guy basically screwed up,big time,and I wasn't surprised at all when he was later laid off.

In contrast our new THQ guys that came in during Dawn of War's development cycle and after in pretty much the same role as Marweas had went through a similiar test of wills when a single poster started trolling and bad-mouthing THQ.This time Tranj(the THQ guy) did a remarkable job of replying to the troll in a calm manner that managed to win at least my respect,if not a good part of the community's.Infact the Lead Designer who had escaped the troll's bitching had more to say about it and in a harsher tone than Tranj actually.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 19:03   Link #8
sOnJoOL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
what about that LotR one, battle for middle earth.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-09, 03:39   Link #9
srb
I can see time itself!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kingdom of Sweden
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to srb
Amongst RTT's I'd definitely recommend Dawn of War. It improves on the standard RTT formula and is a worthy adversary to StarCraft.

And Rome: Total War isn't a RTS. Good as it is it's a turn-based strategy game with a real time tactical battle map. Hearts of Iron however is an RTS.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-09, 16:00   Link #10
Entropy
Flame warrior
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 27
Hence why I didn't say "RTS",I said "Strategy"
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 06:29   Link #11
luffy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to luffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
well, obviously, Starcraft and Warcraft 3 are the 2 greats- the expansion packs are also fantastic....

however....there is another RTS series that gets overlooked a lot- The Warlords Battlecry games are great! I've only played the second, but I've heard that the third is supposed to be very good as well. I recommend the second now because it can be found for 10-20 bucks. Basically, there are somewhere between 12-15 different races with their own different units. The races aren't as well differentiated as Starcraft but, each race has different weaknesses strengths..ie great ranged units, sucky building strength, etc. One of the things that really distinguishes it is that you carry over your hero (who can level up and gain different abilities) as well as a few of your strongest units between different maps (very cool, you get sad when one of your strongest, most beloved warriors finally dies in some collossal battle). There is no overall story- instead, all of the races are working to dominate some 30-40 different provinces. Which provinces you decide to play gives you certain unit advantages, etc. You can even control other races once you conquer their home provinces. There some 120 something different units, sooo.....good stuff. Oh, and the music while scant, is quite good- one of the tracks from the Twelve Kingdoms OST is on here for some reason- must be some kind of traditional song.
soundss pretty good im definatly gonna try it
__________________
im finally a senior member yay! also the first person to get a negative rep.
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 15:16   Link #12
NighT-TrippeR
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Try Rise of Nations. Not bad. Not a WarCraft 3, but not bad.
NighT-TrippeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 23:09   Link #13
GustaveElazul
Gus
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
~truncated~

Last edited by GustaveElazul; 2013-10-16 at 09:16.
GustaveElazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 06:24   Link #14
luffy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to luffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
what about that LotR one, battle for middle earth.
I heard it's supose to be awsome!!!! I love lord of the rings....that game should go quiet well with my collection!!!!!!


Connquest: fronter wars is a really fun game.....you basicly build a space station around a planet...then a giant army.....and go on the atack....but you each get a galexy.....with 4 or so planets....to get crew from...ect.....its really fun..
__________________
im finally a senior member yay! also the first person to get a negative rep.

Last edited by luffy; 2004-10-15 at 06:31. Reason: no dubble posting aloud
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.