AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-12-09, 13:31   Link #7361
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
Yozora's involvement has been played for humor, and there's no actual connection to Athena yet.
It's definitely partly humour. However, I don't know you, but when I saw her using magic, I knew something was going on with her. Not only that, but she's been seriously suspicious from the beginning, and we know she's working for/with someone. Now we even have the whole 28th thing. So, she's had an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
I still stand by my statement of Athena = the story turning serious, which this chapter doesn't even hinted at.
As for whether the story will get serious, I don't know. However, we can definilitely tell something is about to start. Although, we could already tell this much even before Athena showed up. However, her presence confirms that something is going to happen (whether it ends up on some serious plot or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
Another thing that makes me think that this is in Hayate's mind/filler, last time Ikuza was mentioned by Athena, she was asking Hayate about his whereabouts, now she apparently has found him, only a few days later. Not likely. She didn't even find Hayate that quickly, and he wasn't in hiding.
Hm? Where did you get the idea she has found Ikusa? In fact, we do not even know what she is searching him for. Moreover, her visit in loli form may be unrelated to Ikusa. Aika seems to be somehow related to this - whether this is plan of Athena's plan or not.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 14:19   Link #7362
zodanhko
*ignoring*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
Exactly, and the Greece arc (what I call the 'Golden Week' arc), is probably two or three arcs under the same banner. Wataru's trip and the trio+Hina and Ayumu's travels were humor, Mynokos was humor, Athens arc was serious. Athena was only involved with the last one, thus she is only involved with the seriousness.
I don't think so. The Greece Arc (or Athena's arc) began the moment the group entered the city Atene where Hayate began to ponder about Athena, dreaming about her, and encounter her on the same night. Even if there were some humors, the arc didn't divert just because of them. Looking at those humorous events, all you can see is Hayate being emo over the thoughts of Athena hating him which got Nagi, Ayumu, and Maria's attention. Athena was affecting the arc from the beginning to the end whether she was presence or not.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 14:28   Link #7363
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: existence
Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
I don't think so. The Greece Arc (or Athena's arc) began the moment the group entered the city Atene where Hayate began to ponder about Athena, dreaming about her, and encounter her on the same night. Even if there were some humors, the arc didn't divert just because of them. Looking at those humorous events, all you can see is Hayate being emo over the thoughts of Athena hating him which got Nagi, Ayumu, and Maria's attention. Athena was affecting the arc from the beginning to the end whether she was presence or not.
Affecting the arc, yes, that started back in Izumi's arc actually. But the overall story didn't take a turn for the serious until the Athens part of the arc, when Athena did show up.

And Athena hasn't had her own arc yet, the EoTW and Athens arc were building Hayate's character, not Athena's.
__________________
Arcion's is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 14:59   Link #7364
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
i havent seen this forum so lively in a while...man Athena really DOES bring things to life!
*straps on asbestos gear*

Well, it COULD be that a couple other factors than Athena's magical magnetism are involved too ... I'm sorry that I'll undoubtedly come over as a moping sourpuss spoilsport, but someone has to take over the dark shadow part so that the lightbringer of Athena can shine properly.

Spoiler for Kind request: People who have a low tolerance for snarks should not klick on this. I'm in a bit of a sarcastic mood today:


So yea, what's not to like? As an Athena-shipper, I'd be squealing in delight now

As a Hina-shipper, I take heart in the fact that Hata gave her 1 page to reiterate that the Hayate chapter isn't terminally closed for her, simply based on the thought that he'd be a bastard to prolong a story with a winning match (Athena/Hayate) in secrecy while enjoying the torment Hina is in due to lacking closure. And seeing more of her, especially in the context of the interesting Royal Garden story compared to the "I so don't care" manga artist sidearc, is a pleasant thought.

Still, allow me to say one thing: I remember how several people (understandably) complained about H.I.N.A. during season 2. But the measure of blatant favoritism towards Athena, compared to the total annihilation of Maria (she's out of the story completely), the starving of Nagi (except for sacrificing the jewel, no good scenes for her), and the constant screwing-over of Hina (with the exception of granting her a graceful exit after defeat), absolutely supersedes anything from back then. In fact, it's a bit jarring.

This is why I was quite pleased by the results of the third popularity contest. A-tan has taken the baton of the "anything but Hina and Nagi" faction, but all the exceptional pushing during the Greece arc notwithstanding, she only collected votes from others and was soundly defeated in the totals. I honestly thought that Hina would eventually win, but not that she'd retain a near 2:1 lead.

The mood on 2chan mirrors my own: They feel that HnG was a show in decline over the last chapters. The majority feeling is rather "We'll endure what Hata puts us through" rather than "I'm really looking forward to what happens next". So, forgive me if I'm not QUITE as ecstatic as our esteemed Athena shippers - but I guess Hata has the next treat prepared for you. So, please enjoy!

*Yup, flameproof undies ready for service*

*Awaits the onslaught*
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 15:00   Link #7365
zodanhko
*ignoring*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
Affecting the arc, yes, that started back in Izumi's arc actually. But the overall story didn't take a turn for the serious until the Athens part of the arc, when Athena did show up.

And Athena hasn't had her own arc yet, the EoTW and Athens arc were building Hayate's character, not Athena's.
The Greece Arc that I'm referring to began the moment the group entered Atene (Or should I changed to Athena's second arc).

I think the correct interpretation is that the EoTW and the Athens Arc have the greatest development for Hayate, because those arcs involved Athena (which can easily be said Athena's arc). The male character can not be said to have an arc because he involves in every arc (for every girl), so it's the position/involvement of the female character that determinate who the arc belongs to.

The arcs that belonged to Hina and Izumi previously were considered their arcs, not because of their incapability to have any impact on Hayate's development, but because they were the main girls involved in those arcs.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 16:11   Link #7366
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: existence
Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
The Greece Arc that I'm referring to began the moment the group entered Atene (Or should I changed to Athena's second arc).

I think the correct interpretation is that the EoTW and the Athens Arc have the greatest development for Hayate, because those arcs involved Athena (which can easily be said Athena's arc). The male character can not be said to have an arc because he involves in every arc (for every girl), so it's the position/involvement of the female character that determinate who the arc belongs to.

The arcs that belonged to Hina and Izumi previously were considered their arcs, not because of their incapability to have any impact on Hayate's development, but because they were the main girls involved in those arcs.
The fact that Hayate's character was definitely built up during the two 'Athena' arcs, while Athena is still mostly in the dark for her development.

Hina, Izumi and all of the other characters who have gotten their own dedicated arcs were noticeably different characters once we had gotten through their arcs, even Nagi is getting significantly built up in the current arc, while Hayate had minimal growth throughout.
What you're calling the Athena arc only had that effect for Hayate's character, not Athena. If you don't like that explanation, technically, it would be the Midas' arc, since even he got more characterization than Athena, explained by his almost gaining complete control of her during it.

I tend to call it the Athens arc because, while it follows Hayate, Athens is where the arc happens.
The place/time is given the arc names because the characters will conceivably be given multiple arcs. Hayate has been given a steady stream of character building throughout, but major developments for him happened during Athena's appearances, probably because of her influence on his past and his devotion to her because of that.

Athena hasn't even been animated yet, but she was still able to grasp 5th place of the 2nd character poll and get more nominations than Rukia of Bleach in ISML last year. Her hinting is enough to have gotten her those places, she didn't need her own character development arcs for it. And she was developed more in those hints than in the arcs themselves really.
__________________
Arcion's is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 16:59   Link #7367
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Athena hasn't even been animated yet, but she was still able to grasp 5th place of the 2nd character poll and get more nominations than Rukia of Bleach in ISML last year. Her hinting is enough to have gotten her those places, she didn't need her own character development arcs for it. And she was developed more in those hints than in the arcs themselves really.
I have to agree with this. In retrospect, Athena didn't get a terribly large amount of character development during Golden Week, and Eotw is still probably the most memorable story she was in. We didn't get a lot of insight into Athena's thoughts, and a lot of what we did see was the conflict between her and Midas. I honestly can't say what I expect from Athena at this point because I don't feel that we've gotten to know her very well as a character.

The Athens arc was very much about Hayate above and beyond anyone else and his character development was front and center throughout. (Nagi, rather oddly, ended up being the most changed character despite her relative lack of spotlight time until afterwards.)

I'm not unhappy about Athena coming back, but I'll admit I was rolling my eyes a little that she's apparently still the damsel in distress less then a month after her last dramatic rescue.

Quote:
compared to the total annihilation of Maria (she's out of the story completely)
Maria has been in decline for a long time. I think a large part of it is that the "mansion" setting that used to be her stomping ground literally hasn't mattered in years and coupled with Nagi's increasing independence (Among other things, she doesn't play relationship troubleshooter for Nagi and Hayate anymore) leaves her with...nothing really, unless Hata comes up with a new role for her to play.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 18:26   Link #7368
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: a room full of despair
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
*straps on asbestos gear*

Well, it COULD be that a couple other factors than Athena's magical magnetism are involved too ... I'm sorry that I'll undoubtedly come over as a moping sourpuss spoilsport, but someone has to take over the dark shadow part so that the lightbringer of Athena can shine properly.

Spoiler for Kind request: People who have a low tolerance for snarks should not klick on this. I'm in a bit of a sarcastic mood today:


So yea, what's not to like? As an Athena-shipper, I'd be squealing in delight now
YES, I am glad to see her again, but I wouldn't be lying if I said that he prob added her back into the story a bit too soon, so I cant really disagree with those points. I am almost sure he rushed this because of the popularity poll results...after all Hata really lets himself be persuaded by what others think a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Still, allow me to say one thing: I remember how several people (understandably) complained about H.I.N.A. during season 2. But the measure of blatant favoritism towards Athena, compared to the total annihilation of Maria (she's out of the story completely), the starving of Nagi (except for sacrificing the jewel, no good scenes for her), and the constant screwing-over of Hina (with the exception of granting her a graceful exit after defeat), absolutely supersedes anything from back then. In fact, it's a bit jarring.
I cant comment for everyone but in my case...lemme see:

1. I liked H.I.N.A but I felt like JC Staff ran with it for longer than it was needed. The end of the Hina focus was ep 13 (end of 1st half) yet they decided to run that ED until ep 17 (end of shimoda arc) which was clearly no longer Hina centered. So for those 4 extra episodes, I just didnt think it was necessary.

2. Maria and Nagi's lack of development has been going on for so long im sure many people have already gotten used to it...and the longer time passes the less hopeful I get. While Hinagiku was still my fav character before Greece happened, you can't really deny that she was the one with blatant favoritism in the series in term of focus. So just like the Athena focus (it really only started full force from 232 to 265), im sure many more people had the same feeling towards Hinagiku who had been stealing others spotlights for a much, much longer period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
This is why I was quite pleased by the results of the third popularity contest. A-tan has taken the baton of the "anything but Hina and Nagi" faction, but all the exceptional pushing during the Greece arc notwithstanding, she only collected votes from others and was soundly defeated in the totals. I honestly thought that Hina would eventually win, but not that she'd retain a near 2:1 lead.
now now its all so bad for Hina, sure in the relationship front she was pretty much assaulted non stop during greece but she still managed to pull some rather awesome moments that could make anyone appreciate her more. Sure, Athena was played to look like "the damsel who gave up her happiness to maintain the happiness of the one she loved" but Hina was pretty much doing the same thing by supporting Hayate after he confessed...also the whole deal with the sword becoming hers put her in the role of "ally of justice" definitively. I can see why Hinagiku's vote totals can still remain strong despite the Athena push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The mood on 2chan mirrors my own: They feel that HnG was a show in decline over the last chapters. The majority feeling is rather "We'll endure what Hata puts us through" rather than "I'm really looking forward to what happens next". So, forgive me if I'm not QUITE as ecstatic as our esteemed Athena shippers - but I guess Hata has the next treat prepared for you. So, please enjoy!

*Yup, flameproof undies ready for service*

*Awaits the onslaught*
Hata was never good at what I call "balanced focus" (see: Hinagiku and Athena). I really would've liked to see Hata work on Maria after Golden Week but instead we got 2 new characters and switched focus to Nagi and Chiharu (well Nagi needed it as well but not as much as Maria).
I also had that "We'll endure what Hata puts us through" feeling (but not as severe) but well...since Athena IS my fav character, even if it wasnt how I expected it I might as well go with the flow and enjoy it.

Wait...I also need more Ayumu focus...DAMMIT HATA STOP USING THE SAME PEOPLE EVERY TIME!

PS: See!? See!? This forum IS alive once again! SUDDENLY WALLS OF TEXT ARE COMING BACK!
__________________
HEY GUYS BE NICE AND VISIT MY BLOG WILL YA?
Latest Update:
Spring 2011 Impressions (part1)
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 18:56   Link #7369
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: existence
Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
Spoiler:
I have to contest the 'Hata'-favoritism.
If Hina-tan (and possibly Athena, not quite sure yet) isn't important to the plot, she's drawn differently, for Hinagiku it's actually noticeable that her chest gets smaller when her being a pettanko isn't being played up.
Given that she's actually the second character I've noticed with this trait, I'm wondering if it's actually a 'tropeable' trait.
If this also applies to Athena, that would make her the 'third' to bear this trait, also implying that it's not exclusive to Hata

It seems the favoritism you're talking about is actually established by the executives, since Hina is the Ensemble Darkhorse and Athena is the Base Breaker, and not the author themselves, and thus they aren't drawn how the author wishes to draw them, either in quiet revolt or they're actually being told to draw them differently.

Also, have to agree with the 'hung on to the 2nd season 1st ending too long' sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
Hata was never good at what I call "balanced focus" (see: Hinagiku and Athena). I really would've liked to see Hata work on Maria after Golden Week but instead we got 2 new characters and switched focus to Nagi and Chiharu (well Nagi needed it as well but not as much as Maria).
I also had that "We'll endure what Hata puts us through" feeling (but not as severe) but well...since Athena IS my fav character, even if it wasnt how I expected it I might as well go with the flow and enjoy it.

Wait...I also need more Ayumu focus...DAMMIT HATA STOP USING THE SAME PEOPLE EVERY TIME!
Ayumu may be a 'normal' girl, but she does deserve more focus than she gets, and the anime almost completely ignoring her (her part in the 'butler training' gets completely over run) only makes it more wanted. Plus she gives some good interaction to Hayate and Hina-tan. Hopefully she'll get her time in the spotlight as time goes on.
__________________
Arcion's is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 20:10   Link #7370
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
To me, I'm just happy at the idea of seeing more Athena-Hayate interaction. Nagi and Athena are the only ones that bring out the side of Hayate I'm most interested in; there's a marked "sameness" to how he interacts with the rest of the cast. But both of his relationships with those two girls are marked by equal amounts of affection on both sides even if it's a different sort of affection for both of them. (Nagi, unfortunately, tends to be diluted when the plot brings in the other girls, so it's harder for me to sustain interest)

So, yes, in that respect I am tickled to see Athena again. She not only brought out great things in Hayate, but she allowed the other cast to show nice moments too. I can see why other shippers would feel threatened by her appearance, but the Greece arc pretty much laid down that the end result will always be a Nagi-end, platonic or not. So just enjoy the scenes your characters of choice will get and try not to bite your cheeks too hard at the amount of Hayate/A-tan fanservice we're sure to get as a response to the poll.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 20:44   Link #7371
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
I have to contest the 'Hata'-favoritism.
If Hina-tan (and possibly Athena, not quite sure yet) isn't important to the plot, she's drawn differently, for Hinagiku it's actually noticeable that her chest gets smaller when her being a pettanko isn't being played up.
Given that she's actually the second character I've noticed with this trait, I'm wondering if it's actually a 'tropeable' trait
Not that it matters at all, but I think Hata is just really inconsistent about that sort of thing, honestly. If you're really curious, he was asked once on Twitter about top 3/bottom 3 for bust size and responded with:

Top Three: Athena, Yukariko, Yukiji.

Bottom Three: "Hermoine", and he considers Nagi/Hina as being too close to call.

Are they consistently (ever?) drawn that way? Hell no, and that's without even touching on Ayumu or Izumi because dammit man.

More importantly, Ayumu, really, seriously, needs to get her own arc at some point instead of getting a two chapter story at best. She's too great a character to be so neglected. Maria too, but I've just about given up hope for her. Although, since she apparently knew Athena when she was little, and Athena is now a kid again...we may actually get a bit more Maria backstory soon.

Last edited by madmac; 2010-12-09 at 20:58.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 21:02   Link #7372
zodanhko
*ignoring*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
The fact that Hayate's character was definitely built up during the two 'Athena' arcs, while Athena is still mostly in the dark for her development.

Hina, Izumi and all of the other characters who have gotten their own dedicated arcs were noticeably different characters once we had gotten through their arcs, even Nagi is getting significantly built up in the current arc, while Hayate had minimal growth throughout.
What you're calling the Athena arc only had that effect for Hayate's character, not Athena. If you don't like that explanation, technically, it would be the Midas' arc, since even he got more characterization than Athena, explained by his almost gaining complete control of her during it.
I disagree. An arc belongs to a girl when that arc is for the girl, not necessarily for the development of that girl or for the change in behavior of that girl.

Hina's birthday arc is her arc because it's designed for her (centered around her), not because of the sudden realization of her affection for Hayate (which cause her behavioral change). The same goes for Izumi in her arc that happened before the EoTW arc.

Even if we go by your concept/explanation, if it's about Athena, she has realized her love for Hayate 10 years ago. She, too, did have a great character development in the EoTW arc. Before she met Hayate, Athena was the person who threw away everything to obtain the Power of God regardless of her own life. Hayate made her realized that it was pointless to obtain the Power of God if she can't be with him. She came to value Hayate more than her goal in obtaining the PoG. That is a significance character development on her part.

In the Greece arc, Athena did also have a character development rival that of Hayate. Before the arc began, she believed that she will be fine as long as Hayate was happy. She distanced herself from him to not interupt his life while enduring all of those feelings. In the end, she realized that she had been lying to herself all along, and broke down in tears when thinking that she can no longer see Hayate. Right now, as you can see, Athena visited him in his dream and gave him big hug (awww~~~~).

Why would it be able Midas? The arc is for Athena, and Midas was one of her problems that needed to be solved along with her and Hayate's misunderstanding, and feelings



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
Athena hasn't even been animated yet, but she was still able to grasp 5th place of the 2nd character poll and get more nominations than Rukia of Bleach in ISML last year. Her hinting is enough to have gotten her those places, she didn't need her own character development arcs for it. And she was developed more in those hints than in the arcs themselves really.
The stuff that the other girls developed (feelings for Hayate), Athena had them 10 years ago. The Greece arc is for Athena to solve her problems and provide the audiences her background. It was an arc designed for Athena.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 21:04   Link #7373
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: existence
Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Not that it matters much, but I think Hata is just really inconsistent about that sort of thing, honestly. If you're really curious, he was asked once on Twitter about top 3/bottom 3 for bust size and responded with:

Top Three: Athena, Yukariko, Yukiji.

Bottom Three: "Hermoine", and he considers Nagi/Hina as being too close to call.

Are they consistently (ever?) drawn that way? Hell no, and that's without even touching on Ayumu or Izumi because dammit man.
Erm. Given that Hinagiku's small bust is apparently genetic (and her only known blood relative is Yukiji) and Yukiji has a smaller bust than some of Hinagiku's peers (see Izumi and Ayumu, or even Sakuya), I'd really question that listing.
It is consistent that the size changes by how much the story focuses on it though.
And that's being said by a guy who only glances at the issue when it's impressed on us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
More importantly, Ayumu, really, seriously, needs to get her own arc at some point instead of getting a two chapter story at best. She's too great a character to be so neglected. Maria too, but I've just about given up hope for her. Although, since she apparently knew Athena when she was little, and Athena is now a kid again...we may actually get a bit more Maria backstory soon.
Ayumu getting a story is a chance for Hata to please fans without giving into Hina-mania too much, since Nishizawa's engaged with the trio more now (who also need their time in the spotlight) and without having an effect on the overall storyline.

Maria doesn't really have anyone to interact with, and it would have to change things in the overall storyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
Why would it be able Midas? The arc is for Athena, and Midas was one of her problems that needed to be solved along with her and Hayate's misunderstanding, and feelings
Except the only thing that did get solved was Midas (and even that is questionable, given Hata's hints). Hayate is still dealing with his misunderstanding and Athena is still bottling her feelings.
__________________
Arcion's is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 11:29   Link #7374
zodanhko
*ignoring*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
Except the only thing that did get solved was Midas (and even that is questionable, given Hata's hints). Hayate is still dealing with his misunderstanding and Athena is still bottling her feelings.
I agree with the possibility of Midas' revival, and I also think that there's a high chance it would occur.

While it's true that Hayate still has some misunderstandings, but, at least, he and Athena stopped blaming themselves for the tragedy 10 years ago. Although Athena is still hiding her feelings, but not to the degree that it can hurt her like before. And, it doesn't look like she's going after Hayate right now.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 14:00   Link #7375
GlassesLady
dat apple
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: I'm aliens
I really don't get why you guys are so hard on the Nagi-manga arc. Sure, it's not like super-event packed, but it's given character development to characters who've needed it (mainly Nagi, but also some to Chiharu and Ayumu). I'm finding it interesting to see how Nagi's independence is growing, for one thing.

I also find it hilarious how half of the 'wow, this arc has suddenly gotten so much better now that Athene's around' is such blatant favouritism (at least wait until she's done something? I mean really - all she's done is show up in kid form for some reason. If it was anyone else, I'd bet most of you wouldn't think it was interesting.) It's also funny how all the new activity since Athene's shown up again is arguing about whether she even deserves the attention. Well, here's hoping that this turns out just to be a fluffy filler mini-arc and all the fanboys end up crying in disappointment BD

(Sorry, I'm horrible. <3)
__________________
Let me show you my Pokemans.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 17:20   Link #7376
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
I really don't get why you guys are so hard on the Nagi-manga arc. Sure, it's not like super-event packed, but it's given character development to characters who've needed it (mainly Nagi, but also some to Chiharu and Ayumu). I'm finding it interesting to see how Nagi's independence is growing, for one thing.
I've really enjoyed the Nagi arc too. I think the main reason we're seeing these developments though is that it doesn't leave much (currently) for Hayate to do. He can't exactly get Nagi published in Shonen Sunday by battling giant robots, after all.

So instead Nagi gets her character development arc and Hayate gets his own subplot dealing with Yozora and now Athena and eventually I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the plot lines merge. At least I hope so. One of my gripes with the manga recently is that Nagi gets left out of the loop entirely too often during serious plot lines. I guess the thinking is that it would ruin her innocence if she learned about Athena/The RG and so on too soon, but eh...it's starting to feel a little forced, and constantly keeping her (And to a lesser extent, Ayumu) in a bubble limits what can be done with them in the long run.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 17:54   Link #7377
fukarming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
I really don't get why you guys are so hard on the Nagi-manga arc. Sure, it's not like super-event packed, but it's given character development to characters who've needed it (mainly Nagi, but also some to Chiharu and Ayumu). I'm finding it interesting to see how Nagi's independence is growing, for one thing.

I also find it hilarious how half of the 'wow, this arc has suddenly gotten so much better now that Athene's around' is such blatant favouritism (at least wait until she's done something? I mean really - all she's done is show up in kid form for some reason. If it was anyone else, I'd bet most of you wouldn't think it was interesting.) It's also funny how all the new activity since Athene's shown up again is arguing about whether she even deserves the attention. Well, here's hoping that this turns out just to be a fluffy filler mini-arc and all the fanboys end up crying in disappointment BD

(Sorry, I'm horrible. <3)
That is because it is all a big comparison. In Hina/ Athena's arc, we have event filled, action packed, emotion boiling over chapters. Nagi's chapters, in comparison, is boring as hell. I know Nagi "needed" the attention as she is the main character and she needs development, but it cannot change the fact that it is significantly worse than Hina/ Athena arc. In layman's term, during Hina/ Athena's arc, every week I am looking forward to the new chapter to see how the story unfold, I have no such feeling whatsoever in Nagi's chapter.
__________________
They came first for sharks fin,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sharks fin.
Then they came for foie gras,I didn't speak up because I don't eat foie gras.
Then they came for Toro (bluefin tuna) sushi,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sushi.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 18:42   Link #7378
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: existence
Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
I really don't get why you guys are so hard on the Nagi-manga arc. Sure, it's not like super-event packed, but it's given character development to characters who've needed it (mainly Nagi, but also some to Chiharu and Ayumu). I'm finding it interesting to see how Nagi's independence is growing, for one thing.

I also find it hilarious how half of the 'wow, this arc has suddenly gotten so much better now that Athene's around' is such blatant favouritism (at least wait until she's done something? I mean really - all she's done is show up in kid form for some reason. If it was anyone else, I'd bet most of you wouldn't think it was interesting.) It's also funny how all the new activity since Athene's shown up again is arguing about whether she even deserves the attention. Well, here's hoping that this turns out just to be a fluffy filler mini-arc and all the fanboys end up crying in disappointment BD

(Sorry, I'm horrible. <3)
First, I point to the fact that Athena has her own subtitle for 'Draco in Leather Pants'.

I'm with you in guessing that this chapter (300) was just fluffy filler. Probably only drawn because the executives told Hata to get it done. They probably played a part in Hina-tan being 'Mommy' as well.

When we go back to the Nagi-centric 'manga-ka' portion, and Athena fades out again, the only thing I'll miss is the interaction.

I'm enjoying the attention and activity, just because I love the debates we can get into because of it, who cares for which characters brought it about.
__________________
Arcion's is open for business. How would you like your hare-brained scheme?

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.

Last edited by Bastion_Arcion; 2010-12-10 at 19:11.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 18:59   Link #7379
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
For the first point, I point to the fact that Athena has her own subtitle for 'Draco in Leather Pants'.

I'm with you in guessing that this chapter (300) was just fluffy filler. Probably only drawn because the executives told Hata to get it done. They probably played a part in Hina-tan being 'Mommy' as well.

When we go back to the Nagi-centric 'manga-ka' portion, and Athena fades out again, the only thing I'll miss is the interaction.
I don't think it's fluff, but I'm not expecting a huge drama bomb either. Introducing chibi-Athena allows for some mystery that'll be explored eventually (Come on, we all know how slow Hata's pacing is.) but in the short term it'll probably be played primarily for laughs and allows Athena to be introduced in a way that doesn't hijack the plot much.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 20:02   Link #7380
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
I really don't get why you guys are so hard on the Nagi-manga arc. Sure, it's not like super-event packed, but it's given character development to characters who've needed it (mainly Nagi, but also some to Chiharu and Ayumu). I'm finding it interesting to see how Nagi's independence is growing, for one thing.
Having issues with Nagi's arc is not the same thing as having issues with Nagi as a character. Nagi is probably my second favorite girl in the series, but I've had trouble getting into this arc. I like seeing her more independent, and I like it when the plot focuses on her, but manga art and leasing apartments just sort of leaves me cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
I also find it hilarious how half of the 'wow, this arc has suddenly gotten so much better now that Athene's around' is such blatant favouritism (at least wait until she's done something? I mean really - all she's done is show up in kid form for some reason. If it was anyone else, I'd bet most of you wouldn't think it was interesting.)
Would I find "turning into a child" as interesting if it wasn't Athena? Probably not. But it's not because I love Athena, even if I do. It's because a young Athena means a lot of specific things to Hayate, so I'm looking forward to where the manga is going with it and how it's going to handle that particular aspect. (For example, Hina as a child has no real emotional connection with Hayate, so it would feel more like random pandering.)

For a Nagi example, my level of interest would be just as high if it was "Nagi turned into an adult for some mysterious reason" simply because that would also affect her current relationship with Hayate. Introducing a "why is this happening" plot thread with a popular character is a way to get readers interested. So if you find it hilarious that Athena's fans are interested in this development, I find it just as amusing that her detractors are complaining about things as simple as "building a plotline" simply because she happens to be a center component of it.

(Also, the assumption that all Athena's fans are guys. Sorry, that's just plain not true.)
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.