AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2010-12-10, 08:33   Link #6341
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo Send a message via Skype™ to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
My money's against a fusion, it's not impossible, but I don't think the series is one for pulling fusion dances. Besides, one's a girl.
Then it will be a very awkward fusion.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 10:23   Link #6342
Kurush

Send a message via MSN to Kurush Send a message via Skype™ to Kurush
Huh, and still... I can't help but think of this. Especially at 1:22. It kinda answers one reason why Sextum is a girl. If that one exists.

"The objective is not to win. It is to eliminate every option for the enemy except the one to lose."

Knowledge is power. It should be shared.
Kurush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 11:04   Link #6343
JapaneseTeeth
You don't want to know

If anyone pulls a fusion, wouldn't it be Negi? His Magia Erebia allows him to absorb magic, so given that the denizens of the Magic World are magical constructs, so he could theoretically fusion with them by absorption.

I don't think it would ever happen, but it's an interesting idea.

Quote:
Captain Planet incoming.
Well, how did you think the Lifemaker was summoned?
Old 2010-12-10, 17:23   Link #6344
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Then it will be a very awkward fusion.
A little Fate-on-Fate fusion might be just what this manga needs. Unless...

Quote:
Besides, one's a girl.
It's a trap!
Old 2010-12-10, 18:27   Link #6345
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Since I was feeling depressed about the future again, it's time for yet more dreadful fun involving possible bleak near futures for our favorite characters! Because if Ken's beard needs growing, someone's gotta be distilled down to make that hair tonic!

(Warning: I'm gonna toss the 'death' word very lightly around, since writing 'Seemingly fatal event that most likely will be undone by the arc's end five volumes or so in the future' kinda gets tiring after a while. Bear with me, please).

EDIT: Yeah, the rampant Trope-Talking here means I originally wrote this for the TV Tropes boards. Sue me.

Okay. As this shit has just started to hit the fan, we seemingly have lost five Ala Alba members already for the time being. And we're just two chapters into the latest Wham, so we're most likely to have a lot more losses soon to show the Fate Bunch means business. Here are my two cents on who will get it and who not.

Negi: Please. Like they'll take him out without even waking him up first.

Ku Fei: The most likely to impulsively act in Negi's defense against Sextum, the first line of defense there. Yep, screwed. I'd bet on Sextum making a peace offer of sorts if they deliver the boy (the fact she hasn't opened her entrance with an attack points to it), Ala Alba goes No Way Jose. Ku gets Ako's needle in the butt, puts a brave and better than expected fight, but ultimately gets frozen (again, if Earth-based Tertium uses petrification, I'd put good money on water-based Sextum using freezing. The alternative is liquidification... and thats' even worse). Hopefully not shattered afterwards, but ice is a helluva more fragile than rock. On the other hand, if Chao's gonna make a Big Damn Heroes for anyone, that'd be her, but I still think hoping for that is fooling ourselves.

Chisame: The thing that puts me nervous here is we've been shown she's happy with her life, and in fiction, being shown as happy with your life puts a huge bullseye on you. If you think I've been whiney lately, if she gets it, you'll never hear the end of it from me. But if Negi's going to wake up right in time to stop an attack on anyone, I think that someone's Chisame (to play on the 'You'll protect me' theme from the start of this mega-arc). But overall, I'm not liking her odds that much, sadly.

Ako: If Sextum sees what her needle can do for the others, that makes her a target before she can use it on Negi, and she can't fight back. Plus, her death might be the thing that finally spurs Akira into doing the damn Pactio already.

Akira: Hasn't had a Pactio yet, her most likely element is Sextum's own one. Yep, she's going to survive this. No way this chance's going to be missed (of course, I know she won't beat her herself, but she'll help).

Shiori: Already had a pretty close brush with death. Don't see her having another one so soon. Plus, we haven't seen her Artifact with Negi yet. Safe.

Konoka: I can see Ken being devious enough to take her out so it looks like nothing can revive the others now, and to give Setsuna a murderous rage on the Fates after she beats Yomi and returns to find that...

Setsuna: ... and at that point, poor Setchan is toast. Her big win will be against Yomi; after that, time to Worf out again.

Asuna: Extremely safe. She has 'Prime for a big comeback and being key in a victory' written all over her.

Anya: Infant Immortality, too Comedy Relief to pull a convincing serious death. And she's annoying, and annoying characters never die. She'll be fine.

Chamo: He'll survive at least long enough to set the Akira pactio. After that, again, too Comedy Relief to be considered for a serious death scene. But he might be frozen in a ridiculous pose to set an intentional Narmy gag.

Haruna: Hard to say. Might go either way.

Nodoka: Already down, unlikely to play much more of a role, sorry. But she won't get it any worse since Ken shouldn't be that suicidal against Japanese fandom.

Kotarou: Already pretty much out of the fight, but might make a comeback to Worf a bit more.

Sayo: ... Yeah, right.

Kazumi: Primed for a reunion of sorts with Sayo. It's hard to see what can she do by now otherwise.

Mei: Rather safe. Borderline Infant Immortality, and Takane's pretty much her designed Heroic Sacrifice if danger gets too close to her.

Takane: The nudity gag hasn't shown up lately, and I don't think it'll show again for the rest of this arc. The Shadow Armors must be a comedy red herring (like hers helped Chachamaru much). She's more likely to sacrifice herself for Mei than the other way around, although the latter isn't impossible either.

Johnny: He's a guy, and pretty disposable. Gone.

Collette: You might think she's prime for a Rule Of Three after her classmates, but it seems too obvious. I smell subverted trope here.

Yue: She seems to have an ongoing anti death clause from Kyoto to her suicide jump to girls taking the bullet for her, and I don't see that changing here. Plus, she's still got the memory baggage to solve. Our Yue isn't a goner. But she'll suffer a lot.

Chachamaru: Not getting up anytime soon.

Cocone: Infant Immortality, and several questions left hanging around her, including most of what she can or can't do. Relatively safe.

Misora: Bound to return the favor Cocone did her at Mahorafest and take one for her, proving she isn't that much of a coward after all. Sadly, because she's another of my top favorites.

Mana: She either comes in time to help turn the tide, or the Poyo fight lasts until everyone else has stopped fighting. I'm thinking she'll make it all the way through.

Yuuna: A goner already, but breaking the rock would put the series at RUINED FOREVER ground.

Makie: Like Chisame, she has put a happiness target on herself, but she's more secondary and disposable. Popular with Japanese fandom, but apparently not as much as she used to be. Not betting on her.

Your thoughts?
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 20:38   Link #6346
JapaneseTeeth
You don't want to know

I think you might be a little pessimistic, but overall I think it's a pretty good assessment.

Knowing Akamatsu's writing style, I think it's more likely that most of the girls will just get captured; it would make sense for the Fates to have some hostages just in case Negi recovers.
Old 2010-12-10, 22:55   Link #6347
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
Your thoughts?
Kill Em All...

Quote:
EDIT: Yeah, the rampant Trope-Talking here means I originally wrote this for the TV Tropes boards. Sue me.
While we're on the subject, Negi sure has a nice Unspoken Plan Guarantee going on there. A miraculous way to save the world? Tell no one. Maybe he'll snap out of his funk at the last second and reveal his super-duper solution, which will be so WTF that Fate's heads will explode. Problem solved.
Old 2010-12-10, 23:00   Link #6348
JapaneseTeeth
You don't want to know

Re: Kill Em All. I sure hope not. I would be hugely angry if any of the good guys get killed off for real.

And yeah, the unspoken plan guarantee is probably Negi's greatest asset at this point, especially since we know what happens when the plan is meticulously explained: it fails in the most horrible way possible.
Old 2010-12-10, 23:27   Link #6349
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Isn't telling your allies off-panel usually safe, though?

Quote:
Kill Em All...
I'm not so sure Akamatsu wants to kill his career like that. Even Kubo knows better than to troll that deeply.

"What? Negima? That manga that was energetic feel-good fun a few chapters back?... WELL, NOW EVERYONE'S DEAD! MWA HA HAH!"

"...Akamatsu-san, as your editors, we'd like to have a few serious words with you..."
Old 2010-12-10, 23:47   Link #6350
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Quote:

I'm not so sure Akamatsu wants to kill his career like that. Even Kubo knows better than to troll that deeply.

"What? Negima? That manga that was energetic feel-good fun a few chapters back?... WELL, NOW EVERYONE'S DEAD! MWA HA HAH!"

"...Akamatsu-san, as your editors, we'd like to have a few serious words with you..."
The fact that the attack went through Chachamaru's torso rather than her skull is a good indication that Ken's playing it safe as usual. Then again, if Chachamaru got killed off in such an abrupt and heartless manner, Ken and I would have words, only I'd substitute most of my vowels with blunt force trauma, and it would be a lengthy discussion.Oh damn, now I'm thinking about Chachamaru again. Staying calm!
Old 2010-12-10, 23:49   Link #6351
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Oh damn, now I'm thinking about Chachamaru again. Staying calm!
I didn't want to do this, but... would a Monty Python reference help?
Old 2010-12-11, 01:03   Link #6352
JapaneseTeeth
You don't want to know

Monty Python is always welcome, in my book.

Quote:
Yeah, as long as the plan doesn't get explained in detail on panel, the chances of success are raised exponentially. Which is why Ala Alba's plan to infiltrate the Gravekeeper's Palace didn't work at all.

Quote:
Ken and I would have words, only I'd substitute most of my vowels with blunt force trauma, and it would be a lengthy discussion
I'm right there with you. Same goes for Nodoka, although I'm pretty sure she's safe, given her popularity in Japan.
Old 2010-12-11, 01:56   Link #6353
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Your thoughts?
Yeah... I suggest you leave any mention of an Akira pactio until the end of the post. That way people may actually finish the post rather than giving in to the natural urge to just tune out. ^_^

But on the bright side, at least you're not the only one flogging that departed steed...
Old 2010-12-11, 02:49   Link #6354
nines
I much prefer the 2d

If she does get pactio curious as so what it could be. Most pactios seem to resolve around their personalities sooooo. Akira hmm :O
Old 2010-12-11, 05:13   Link #6355
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
So did Fate of the Earth (3rd) died but at the same time summoned 3 (4th, 5th and 6th) Fates?

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 05:53   Link #6356
Kurush

We're not sure at this point.

"The objective is not to win. It is to eliminate every option for the enemy except the one to lose."

Old 2010-12-11, 07:14   Link #6357
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Yeah... I suggest you leave any mention of an Akira pactio until the end of the post. That way people may actually finish the post rather than giving in to the natural urge to just tune out. ^_^

But on the bright side, at least you're not the only one flogging that departed steed...
Departed? Oh, now I want to see the look on your face when you are eventually proved wrong...

Honestly, I see no good reason why it will not be played at some point. Her feelings are still there, and with the current situation they need any edge they can get. Refusing to do it for whatever reason concerning emotional issues is borderline suicidal.
Old 2010-12-11, 09:07   Link #6358
Kurush

I simply must side with OverMaster on this one. Whatever emotional reason Akira has for not making a Pactio with Negi is simply dwarfed by the fact that they're completely outgunned and in need of power.

Old 2010-12-11, 10:02   Link #6359
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo Send a message via Skype™ to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
So did Fate of the Earth (3rd) died but at the same time summoned 3 (4th, 5th and 6th) Fates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurush View Post
We're not sure at this point.
That said, I seriously doubt it. The guy has been the Big Bad on some level or another for the majority of the series, no way he's dead without a final climactic duel with Negi.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 10:45   Link #6360
JapaneseTeeth
You don't want to know

#3 is probably still around somewhere. Chachamaru even admitted that she wasn't sure if he got killed or not, which means Akamatsu is leaving the possibility of survival open.

Tags
action, fantasy