AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-12-11, 08:37   Link #221
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
All fair in regard to free speech and right to an opinion, but it still makes me very sad to see nonetheless when I'm not sure what more the franchise could be doing to keep people happy at this point.
It's not that people aren't happy with the franchise, but let's face it, not all gundam series are created equal. And while that may be good for variety and choice, it also means that not all gundam series are accepted equally. Even those people (like myself) who have managed to find some enjoyment with every gundam series to date may still prefer one type of gundam series over another.

Now, since there's currently not a lot of information on the new series, I don't see any harm in discussing what one wants and/or thinks the new series will be. Ultimately, I believe most gundam fans will at least watch part of the new series before deciding if they like it even if it wasn't the type of series they had hoped for.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 08:52   Link #222
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It'd have to be an OVA though since it doesn't really lend itself to a full-length TV series.
It will work as a 13-episode series and as one that showcase the more human side of the saga if adapt faithfully to the novels given the low mecha cast.

It's also quite possible that if Bandai wants the adaption of Hathaway's Flash to move model kits, they will need to boost up the mecha castings and that's where Okawara comes in.
__________________
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 08:56   Link #223
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
It's also quite possible that if Bandai wants the adaption of Hathaway's Flash to move model kits, they will need to boost up the mecha castings and that's where Okawara comes in.
IIRC there are only 4 mobile suits designed for it... So clearly there would be a need for additional designs.

I don't see it as anything more than a movie or short OVA though... Aren't there only like two real battles in the whole novel? They would have to change quite a bit of things around.
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 09:05   Link #224
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
I don't see it as anything more than a movie or short OVA though... Aren't there only like two real battles in the whole novel? They would have to change quite a bit of things around.
They could throw in more actions but just stick to the main plot.

Besides Bright and Hathaway needs some proper closure in anime form. The adaption could also throw in Sayla and the rest of the surviving WB crittins to expand the plot.

Edit :-

I just remember the VAs for Bright and Sayla are dead and six feet under. Bummer there for the adaption. But that doesn't mean there's no new talent.
__________________
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 09:24   Link #225
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I just remember the VAs for Bright and Sayla are dead and six feet under. Bummer there for the adaption. But that doesn't mean there's no new talent.
Spoiler for Gundam UC spoilers:


But yes, Hathaway's Flash would close out the original Gundam arc (again) quite well now that Unicorn has dug it back out into the open and seems to be doing pretty good saleswise. But if they are indeed adapting it, it will be as a movie or OVA like I said before.

The characters are too old, and the plot is too serious and grimdark for the general Gundam TV audience.
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 09:29   Link #226
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Balanga City, Bataan, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
@brightman, is there something between Hathaway's Flash and F91?
__________________
Mercury Lampe
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 09:34   Link #227
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
@brightman, is there something between Hathaway's Flash and F91?
Only things I know of are Gundam F90, and F91 Formula Wars 0122 (both deal with the Zeon remnants "Oldsmobile Army"). Its certainly a large gap in the timeline...
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 14:09   Link #228
GundamFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Only things I know of are Gundam F90, and F91 Formula Wars 0122 (both deal with the Zeon remnants "Oldsmobile Army"). Its certainly a large gap in the timeline...
Well I'm sure those would be great OVAs/short series I'm wondering about one thing though is Unicorn going to be done in time for this to be a UC series since Bandia seems pretty dead set that with Gundam anime at least you only have most a UC and AC show/ova/movie going at the same time. Not that I blame them the anime market is rather competive and you want have your biggest brand avoid fighting itself as much as possible.

Personaly UC or AC I'm good either way as long as they keep the clipping/fight scene reuse to a reasonable level, and they don't try anything to far from left field like another live action production and or say having the gundams powered by the fighting spirits of the pilots.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 22:28   Link #229
artquest7@
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I've always been excited at the prospect of a new gundam series, however lately I'm slowly becoming more and more pessimistic in terms of gundam. I'll watch it "because it's gundam" and not so much because I think it's fresh, interesting and well written. I know every series has it's strengths and weaknesses but after destiny and season 2 of 00 I've been feeling like gundam is in real need of a breath of fresh air. Something to stir things up a bit. (I've always been interested to see something far into the future with really advanced tech in deep space (I.E. whats going on on jupiter), similar to Zone of the Enders type tech with an talking AI.)

The first gundam I saw was Gundam Wing when I was a young teen.. only within the last 2 or 3 years did I finally get to see 0079, Zeta, Victory and Turn A. So I don't believe I'm blinded by nostalgia when I say that the older series are a lot more interesting and awesome. I feel pretty let down by current series like 00 and seed who imho share the commonality of an awesome first series/season and a not so awesome second series/season.

So far I like unicorn so hopefully this new project will be awesome. I'll try to remain hopeful and reserve judgement until I see it.
artquest7@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 22:47   Link #230
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
That's the thing about the evolution of Gundam. No one wants to see the old guys and robots aspect of it... it has to be the pretty bishounens and the glitzy mobile suits and what not. The days of hardcore Gundam are sadly over. It's another reason why Sunrise won't take the plunge into late-UC.
__________________
「では、人間は、何故、戦うのか?
戦うことに存在意義があるのかもしれない。
戦っている人間には充実感がある。
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 11:24   Link #231
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hot Non-Winter Place
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Oh ya, I'm hoping it's less/not bishounen although that's unlikely if it's a new AU in this day and age.
__________________
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 16:46   Link #232
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
That's the thing about the evolution of Gundam. No one wants to see the old guys and robots aspect of it... it has to be the pretty bishounens and the glitzy mobile suits and what not. The days of hardcore Gundam are sadly over. It's another reason why Sunrise won't take the plunge into late-UC.
Again only if you don't pay attention to all the works that contradict this statement. Though I'm sure MS Igloo, Operation Valkyrie, Gundam Unicorn, Char's Deleted Affair etc are exempt from consideration. Also I don't follow the logic of how bishounen character designs somehow precludes you from being considered "hardcore" or how old guys automatically makes it so.

I'm probably wasting my time trying to inject some focus and actual logic into this thread, but goddamn really people?! Did it really take this short a time for a defining example of exactly what I was talking about the other day to get covered in this thread in less than a standard paragraph's post? Am I really seeing it on this level? Yes I am unfortunately, this is what people focus on in Gundam discussions now folks. Take a good long hard look at it folks cause that's your fandom.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 20:39   Link #233
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Again only if you don't pay attention to all the works that contradict this statement. Though I'm sure MS Igloo, Operation Valkyrie, Gundam Unicorn, Char's Deleted Affair etc are exempt from consideration. Also I don't follow the logic of how bishounen character designs somehow precludes you from being considered "hardcore" or how old guys automatically makes it so.

I'm probably wasting my time trying to inject some focus and actual logic into this thread, but goddamn really people?! Did it really take this short a time for a defining example of exactly what I was talking about the other day to get covered in this thread in less than a standard paragraph's post? Am I really seeing it on this level? Yes I am unfortunately, this is what people focus on in Gundam discussions now folks. Take a good long hard look at it folks cause that's your fandom.
Gundam "fandom" is an illusion, unfortunately. There are very few fans who truly enjoy the franchise as a whole, rather than just the Gundam shows they grew up with or styles of show that they like. That's been true in the community since forever (at least in the 10+ years I've been around it), and true in ANY fan community of a large media franchise like Gundam. So I don't see a reason for complaining about it now.

Obviously people are going like the stuff they like, and there are going to be those who disrespect those who do not agree with them. Its human nature.
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 22:38   Link #234
GundamFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm probably wasting my time trying to inject some focus and actual logic into this thread, but goddamn really people?! Did it really take this short a time for a defining example of exactly what I was talking about the other day to get covered in this thread in less than a standard paragraph's post? Am I really seeing it on this level? Yes I am unfortunately, this is what people focus on in Gundam discussions now folks. Take a good long hard look at it folks cause that's your fandom.
This isn't something unique to Gundam the hardcore fans from the different star trek series I have been having these same sort of fights for decades heck the same thing is going right now on stargate boards SG-1 and Atlantis fans are have been really ripping into Destiny. My point is this is the way sci-fi fans are and if getting up on your little soap box and bitching about it makes you feel better about the situation and superior to other gundam fans Kaioshin Sama have fun but don't kid yourself nothing is going to change.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 22:47   Link #235
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Gundam "fandom" is an illusion, unfortunately. There are very few fans who truly enjoy the franchise as a whole, rather than just the Gundam shows they grew up with or styles of show that they like. That's been true in the community since forever (at least in the 10+ years I've been around it), and true in ANY fan community of a large media franchise like Gundam. So I don't see a reason for complaining about it now.

Obviously people are going like the stuff they like, and there are going to be those who disrespect those who do not agree with them. Its human nature.
Just trying to illustrate my point. I like to draw comparisons, cite examples and continue topics when new factoids come to light instead of just linking vaguely related concepts in my head and then stating a reason and result without making an effort to connect it all to a point for the people that bother to read it. If that comes across as complaining and the sort of thing you pointed out is level-headed and just ought to be accepted cause its been that way for x number of years then I'm sorry but you need to get your discussion priorities straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
This isn't something unique to Gundam the hardcore fans from the different star trek series I have been having these same sort of fights for decades heck the same thing is going right now on stargate boards SG-1 and Atlantis fans are have been really ripping into Destiny. My point is this is the way sci-fi fans are and if getting up on your little soap box and bitching about it makes you feel better about the situation and superior to other gundam fans Kaioshin Sama have fun but don't kid yourself nothing is going to change.
Wow you people really do see it that way don't you. So let me see if I've got your stance straight here, fandom ripping into their favorite franchises for possibly dubious reasons, that's not bitching or complaining in any way and there's no soapbox in sight, that's just the way it is. Me challenging the current status quo of fan behaviour by questioning the necessity, logic and validity of some of the posts in this thread and trying to support it with evidence from the franchise and the very posts being made, now apparently that's bitching, complaining and getting on a soapbox. I would find this logic amusing if it wasn't frankly a little scary since people seem to be saying that challenging what you see and trying to ask questions such as why it is the way that it is and asking what benefits there are to the status quo is undesirable somehow.

Feel free to stick to that, believe it or not I'm not trying to change anything, but the more people continue to just state things are the way are because instead of meeting my points head-on and trying to come up with an actual point or argument that casts them in a different light the more they are just going to keep proving them. In that regard I am feeling pretty superior to other posters in the thread right now because I've taken the time to take some pride in what I'm trying to illustrate by putting some weight behind it and so far it looks to be paying off.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-12-12 at 23:42.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 23:36   Link #236
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Just trying to illustrate my point. I like to draw comparisons, cite examples and continue topics when new factoids come to light instead of just linking vaguely related concepts in my head and then stating a reason and result without making an effort to connect it all to a point for the people that bother to read it. If that comes across as complaining and the sort of thing you pointed out is level-headed and just ought to be accepted cause its been that way for x number of years then I'm sorry but you need to get your discussion priorities straight.
Well, here's some logic for you...

This is (apparently) going to be a TV series. And as far as TV series go, those are THE major Gundam works. This show going to be the only thing Gundam-relevant for each and every week for at least a year.

I'm sorry, magazine spinoff mangas don't get read by a majority of people out there. And OVAs get discussed once every six months when a new episode comes out. Check the post and view counts for Unicorn topics compared to 00 ones. NO comparison.

And as such, people are going to want it to fit their vision of Gundam. Because this will TOWER over the MS Igloos and the Unicorns in importance and in mindshare. So yes, you might not like the topic headed towards the direction it has headed in, and you have every right not to, but it is happening no matter what.

And for a guy who has been around for quite a while, I was just surprised that you decided to rant about it now, after so many years.
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 23:43   Link #237
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hargenteen
Age: 25
I take it there hasn't been any new bits of info since the "Perhaps UC?" comment?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 01:13   Link #238
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Well, here's some logic for you...

This is (apparently) going to be a TV series. And as far as TV series go, those are THE major Gundam works. This show going to be the only thing Gundam-relevant for each and every week for at least a year.

I'm sorry, magazine spinoff mangas don't get read by a majority of people out there. And OVAs get discussed once every six months when a new episode comes out. Check the post and view counts for Unicorn topics compared to 00 ones. NO comparison.

And as such, people are going to want it to fit their vision of Gundam. Because this will TOWER over the MS Igloos and the Unicorns in importance and in mindshare. So yes, you might not like the topic headed towards the direction it has headed in, and you have every right not to, but it is happening no matter what.

And for a guy who has been around for quite a while, I was just surprised that you decided to rant about it now, after so many years.
This isn't the first time I've brought it up trust me.

Anyway, yes people probably probably aren't aware that there are other types of stories still getting made because they aren't TV series, hopefully pointing these out will lead to a reversal of the misconception that only one type of story is getting made. I trust that I won't be criticized for doing that, and really people if you are looking for a certain kind of Gundam story I can probably help you find it or the closest thing so don't hesitate to PM and ask me about it.

Anyway I should thank you for getting me excited about the prospect of a new Gundam TV series again. Just the way you put it right now, something that is going to take the anime world by storm. Truthfully there's no way of avoiding some clusterflucks of discussion in the near future, so you'll probably see me transitioning to not even bothering to make a point of it like I am here while it's still somewhat manageable to make a discussion out of it and there aren't like 10 pages of posts every five minutes.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 01:45   Link #239
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
This isn't something unique to Gundam the hardcore fans from the different star trek series I have been having these same sort of fights for decades
Goodness, I'm just finding this out right now. I've recently been rewatching Star Trek in reverse order of series on Youtube (finished Enterprise and Voyager and am now on the 5th season of DS9). And every time I finished watching a video I'm always tempted to just not read the comments because there would always be people who either complain about that particular series or praise it but complain about another Star Trek series instead of just talking about the episode.

As for me I've enjoyed all the Star Trek, Star Wars, and Stargate series/movies. I guess I just have a lower requirement for SCI-FI entertainment than most people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So let me see if I've got your stance straight here, fandom ripping into their favorite franchises for possibly dubious reasons, that's not bitching or complaining in any way and there's no soapbox in sight, that's just the way it is. Me challenging the current status quo of fan behaviour by questioning the necessity, logic and validity of some of the posts in this thread and trying to support it with evidence from the franchise and the very posts being made, now apparently that's bitching, complaining and getting on a soapbox.
I don't know if that's what GundamFan meant. But as for me, while I can somewhat understand why you're acting the way you do, I can also see that there's a difference. The people you say are complaining are doing so towards a series/director/etc. It's a neutral target, if you will. What you're doing, however, is complaining about other posters in this forum.

Now, while I'm not trying to defend those who complain needlessly about a series, at least they're "discussing" the series. What you're doing could, at best, end up being off-topic quickly, if it's not already. Or worse, it could turn into a flame bait and such.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 03:52   Link #240
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Balanga City, Bataan, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
@monstert: Imagine those TNG fans as the same as UC fans whereas the TOS fans were more of the AU fans. TOS fans care more about the fun/adventure part of Trek, while TNG fans care more about technobable and philosophical differences between races.


Quote:
Now, while I'm not trying to defend those who complain needlessly about a series, at least they're "discussing" the series. What you're doing could, at best, end up being off-topic quickly, if it's not already. Or worse, it could turn into a flame bait and such.
This. I don't usually side with monstert, but I agree that we needn't not care about small details, like tweets or something. We must discuss developments and we need so, because we're gundam fans first before being fans of a specific gundam timeline.
__________________
Mercury Lampe
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.