AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-12-13, 18:03   Link #4541
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Lounge
Or just copy / paste the text you see in that picture, and replace my link with your link, and my text with your text
__________________
Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 18:07   Link #4542
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Related to this, on another forum we use just img tags .. How do I make it so that the signature is clickable and has text when hovered over like Kaze has ? I tried using the picture Kaze provided but it didn't work .. I was able to make it clickable but where on earth do I put the text ?
Code:
[url=http://forums.animesuki.com/search.php?do=getdaily][SIGPIC]Beyond reason...[/SIGPIC][/url]
See my signature for a preview.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 18:14   Link #4543
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
You misunderstood. This was for another forum with IMG tags, there is no such thing as SIGPIC there. So where on earth does the URL for the image go if the text is between two IMG tags ( assuming I replace SIGPIC with IMG tags ) ?
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 18:17   Link #4544
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
You misunderstood. This was for another forum with IMG tags, there is no such thing as SIGPIC there. So where on earth does the URL for the image go if the text is between two IMG tags ( assuming I replace SIGPIC with IMG tags ) ?
Probably something like this:

Code:
[URL="URL Location here"][IMG="image location here"]Hover Text Here[/IMG][/URL ]
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 18:20   Link #4545
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Depends on forum version and type. Like with normal images here hover text might not be supported.

You should check the forums BBTag reference (if it has one).
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 19:33   Link #4546
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
What is that .. check it from where ? You keep forgetting Felix that not everyone are so .. hm. knowledgeable when it comes to forum software or other IT things.

The forum version is Invision Board but I don't know the version .. Couldn't see from anywhere. I tried what you suggested Konakaga already earlier but didn't work .. it just appeared as bunch of text, no image would show up at all if [img=link] was used.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 20:27   Link #4547
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Oh they don't have that feature. The correct systax for images there is I think [img=URL][/img] but you can't place anything between the tags.

Try [acronym=hover text] ... signature stuff here... [/acronym], it's supported on the official site, but don't know about the site you're using. I'm also not sure of the implementation. We have the tag too, but it won't work with a [img] tags.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 21:02   Link #4548
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Yeah it works. Thanks alot Felix.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 06:51   Link #4549
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
This question probably won't be understood by most of you here, but I'll ask anyway for the sake of hit-or-miss.

I have recently got this phone call from this woman with a weird China accent (devoid in Singaporeans). I asked where did she get my number from, and she said that I "took a survey" and left my phone number there. From there she began asking a series of survey-like questions (which I all gave random answers and "IDK"s for....I love fooling around with phone surveyors) before asking for my identification number "for confirmation".

It seems like a bit of social engineering to me at that moment, so I simply went with a "Why do you need that?" and "I don't leave my IC no. on public surveys.". She bulled that she is just "a contractor" so I asked to "speak to her boss", from there when she cut the phone line.

The phone number is with-held. Is there a way to get a with-held number, or get the phone company to reveal it without going through a lawsuit? I know phone companies are not allowed to reveal with-held numbers, only to the person who owns the line.

P.S I know a few tricks to defeat social engineering, but I am incapable of pulling such heists off myself. So putting up tips on how to call and which information to seize is pretty useless for me.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 23:54   Link #4550
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The phone number is with-held. Is there a way to get a with-held number, or get the phone company to reveal it without going through a lawsuit? I know phone companies are not allowed to reveal with-held numbers, only to the person who owns the line.
It depends on who is holding the information, and whether the individual or organisation operates in a country with the equivalent of Britain's Data Protection Act. That piece of law allows any individual to demand to see any of his personal information held by a third party.

While the Act doesn't state specifically what you can do with such access and knowledge, the assumption is that any individual can at least find out who knows what about them, and then request corrections to factual errors in the personal data if they exist.

Needless to say, Singapore does not have such laws.

In any case, in this time of rampant social networks, I wonder if people really care that much about their privacy. I even have an acquaintance, a fervent social-networking evangelist, who scoffs at the idea of diminishing privacy, claiming that it's just another desperate attempt by mainstream media to marginalise an alternative means of communication.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 01:36   Link #4551
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It depends on who is holding the information, and whether the individual or organisation operates in a country with the equivalent of Britain's Data Protection Act. That piece of law allows any individual to demand to see any of his personal information held by a third party.

While the Act doesn't state specifically what you can do with such access and knowledge, the assumption is that any individual can at least find out who knows what about them, and then request corrections to factual errors in the personal data if they exist.

Needless to say, Singapore does not have such laws.
Called the phone company and they say they couldn't trace. The girl over the phone is a total ditz...she says she doesn't know that withheld numbers have a specific number to them.

Being one that doesn't leave personal information lying around, I don't know how she got my number, unless it is through an official school survey, or that she jacked the list of numbers from somewhere.

Quote:
In any case, in this time of rampant social networks, I wonder if people really care that much about their privacy. I even have an acquaintance, a fervent social-networking evangelist, who scoffs at the idea of diminishing privacy, claiming that it's just another desperate attempt by mainstream media to marginalise an alternative means of communication.
The person has probably never heard of Kevin Mitnick or private investigators.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 03:04   Link #4552
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Called the phone company and they say they couldn't trace. The girl over the phone is a total ditz...she says she doesn't know that withheld numbers have a specific number to them.

Being one that doesn't leave personal information lying around, I don't know how she got my number, unless it is through an official school survey, or that she jacked the list of numbers from somewhere.



The person has probably never heard of Kevin Mitnick or private investigators.
The easiest way to avoid situations like this is to not answer on phone calls with withheld numbers (I mean I would not want to have anything to do with people who feel it is necessary to hide their phone number).
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 16:44   Link #4553
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
This question probably won't be understood by most of you here, but I'll ask anyway for the sake of hit-or-miss.

I have recently got this phone call from this woman with a weird China accent (devoid in Singaporeans). I asked where did she get my number from, and she said that I "took a survey" and left my phone number there. From there she began asking a series of survey-like questions (which I all gave random answers and "IDK"s for....I love fooling around with phone surveyors) before asking for my identification number "for confirmation".

It seems like a bit of social engineering to me at that moment, so I simply went with a "Why do you need that?" and "I don't leave my IC no. on public surveys.". She bulled that she is just "a contractor" so I asked to "speak to her boss", from there when she cut the phone line.

The phone number is with-held. Is there a way to get a with-held number, or get the phone company to reveal it without going through a lawsuit? I know phone companies are not allowed to reveal with-held numbers, only to the person who owns the line.

P.S I know a few tricks to defeat social engineering, but I am incapable of pulling such heists off myself. So putting up tips on how to call and which information to seize is pretty useless for me.
I have a simple rule... if your caller ID says "Withheld", "Unavailable", "Private Caller", "Out of Area", or looks clearly munged (0-000-000-0000 for a real example), then you really aren't serious about talking to me and I send it to voicemail. If you don't leave a message on my voicemail - that just confirms you aren't serious about talking to me and I'll put you on my special "no ring always to voicemail" list if you left an actual number.

That clears up a lot of problems. And yeah, Saintess, you were basically being telemarketed at the least and more likely being phished/scammed/whatever. Real surveys will clearly identify themselves and what the survey is for.

Caller ID can be hoaxed/screwed with by PBX systems and other tools. Hell, my wife's company (large publicly traded firm) had idiots in their IT group who couldn't get their phones to give the same output... a few phone numbers would say "company name", some would say "unavailable" some "private" and some "out of area".
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 14:16   Link #4554
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I have a simple rule... if your caller ID says "Withheld", "Unavailable", "Private Caller", "Out of Area", or looks clearly munged (0-000-000-0000 for a real example), then you really aren't serious about talking to me and I send it to voicemail. If you don't leave a message on my voicemail - that just confirms you aren't serious about talking to me and I'll put you on my special "no ring always to voicemail" list if you left an actual number.

That clears up a lot of problems. And yeah, Saintess, you were basically being telemarketed at the least and more likely being phished/scammed/whatever. Real surveys will clearly identify themselves and what the survey is for.

Caller ID can be hoaxed/screwed with by PBX systems and other tools. Hell, my wife's company (large publicly traded firm) had idiots in their IT group who couldn't get their phones to give the same output... a few phone numbers would say "company name", some would say "unavailable" some "private" and some "out of area".
I have trawled through temps through this year, and some government jobs I had in have with-held numbers. Similarly, back when I was in the army, sudden recalls often came through a withheld number from my base. Thus I pick up calls even if they are withheld numbers.

Another thing : what is the name of this song?

__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 11:49   Link #4555
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Ok I have a question about english tenses. If I want to use the present and the past in the same sentence which past tense should I use ? Past simple or present perfect ?
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 13:02   Link #4556
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Ok I have a question about english tenses. If I want to use the present and the past in the same sentence which past tense should I use ? Past simple or present perfect ?
Hmm... to describe something that happened in the past in present tense, that would be present perfect tense, I think.

Examples:
Anna has never broken a leg.
I have been a teacher for more than 10 years.
Jimmy has gone to South America.
Here's another little bit of trivia: A lot of English-language news-wire stories typically start in present perfect tense, before switching to simple past tense a few paragraphs later. This is done deliberately to give the introduction a greater sense of immediacy.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 13:43   Link #4557
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Hmm... to describe something that happened in the past in present tense, that would be present perfect tense, I think.

Examples:
Anna has never broken a leg.
I have been a teacher for more than 10 years.
Jimmy has gone to South America.
Here's another little bit of trivia: A lot of English-language news-wire stories typically start in present perfect tense, before switching to simple past tense a few paragraphs later. This is done deliberately to give the introduction a greater sense of immediacy.
No no, I was talking absout something like that :

She has done that because she loves him.


Is this sentence correct or should I sued she did instead of she has done ?
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 00:00   Link #4558
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
No no, I was talking about something like that :

She has done that because she loves him.

Is this sentence correct or should I sued she did instead of she has done ?
Ah, I see.

No, the sentence should read:

"She did that because she loves him."


The verb "love" remains in present tense, because it is something she is doing right now, in the present time. Also, if the condition of "loving" is still true, then more so the reason that "love" should be in present tense. (If it were in past tense — "she loved him" — it implies she no longer does.)

The verb "do" is in simple past tense because she has already carried out the action.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 02:51   Link #4559
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Ah, I see.

No, the sentence should read:

"She did that because she loves him."


The verb "love" remains in present tense, because it is something she is doing right now, in the present time. Also, if the condition of "loving" is still true, then more so the reason that "love" should be in present tense. (If it were in past tense — "she loved him" — it implies she no longer does.)

The verb "do" is in simple past tense because she has already carried out the action.
Thank you very much for that. Now it's clear. I think I will edit some posts now
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 09:41   Link #4560
Hekate
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Another thing : what is the name of this song?


Luka Luka Night Fever; originally sung by Luka, this one is sung by Mitani Nana.
Hekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.