AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-12-25, 07:00   Link #20341
Pika_power
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_mccormik View Post
What do you guys think Ryukishi07 will write about after Umineko?

Ryukishi07 has written 2 stories so far in his When They Cry series: There is Higurashi, which has Eastern motifs such as tataris, ancient japanese curses and other distinctly japanese occult types of things. In contrast, Umineko has a more Western feel to it; We mostly see references to western literature such as Dante's Divine Comedy and Agatha Christie novels and various western occult figures.

After Umineko no naku koro ni, I predict that he'll go with one of the two remaining cardinal directions: Northern and Southern. By southern, I mean that the next work will be more influenced by cultures of the southern hemisphere, which includes African Voodoo, South American Santa Muerte, or whatever occult figures that Australian Aboriginals believe in.

If he goes with the Northern cardinal direction, he'll probably just write something involving Santa Claus.

Or Ryukishi07 could also possibly abandon cardinal directions and go with up/down. He could write something sorta like a hard sci-fi murder mystery in an orbital space station (such as the International Space Station) UP above earth. Or write about the legends of the mole people DOWN below.

Thinking about all the possible names for the future works is kinda fun too.
When penguins cry: Pengun no naku koro ni ペンギンのなく頃に
When kangaroos cry: Kangaruu no naku koro ni カンガルーのなく頃に
When they cry in space: Uchu ni kikoenai no naku koro ni 宇宙に聞こえないのなく頃に
I think a sci-fi would be an interesting direction for Ryuukishi to go. He's delved into all other genres, so we're in need of an Uchu ni Kikoenai no Naku Koro ni.
Pika_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 08:42   Link #20342
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ImaginaryLand
Age: 24
I'd much rather it not be sci-fi...
__________________

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 09:02   Link #20343
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
When they cry in space: Uchu ni kikoenai no naku koro ni 宇宙に聞こえないのなく頃に
Lol... this is more like: "when you can't hear them cry in space".
If he does that then in the story the following quotes must appear:

"they mostly come at night... mostly..."
"they're coming outta the goddamn walls!"
"I say we take off and nuke the whole site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure."

and of course

"Game over man! Game over!"
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 11:27   Link #20344
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Isn't he doing a "Seven high school mysteries" manga right now?
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 12:22   Link #20345
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Yes, and he's already reached Higurashi levels of cruelty within the first couple of chapters. Which is kind of impressive.
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 12:28   Link #20346
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Hahaha oh shit.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 12:29   Link #20347
Mirrored
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
He's probably finishing up Re-Write, though I can't imagine he was too involved with it, if he had time to write all of Umineko 8 and help out on Tsubasa.

After that, we will get another mystery. He's primarily a mystery author, however, he branched more into romance in Umineko, so he's likely to head that route.

If that one interview is true, it's likely his work on Rewrite that inspired him to add choices to Umineko 8, so we may actually get more of a romance from him next time.

I think he may be done with the whole colored text thing. Which is good, because while it's fun at first, its really only needed in stories where the author continually plays around with the truth.
Mirrored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 13:14   Link #20348
kiby
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: paris france
I dont know if it's a spoiler or whatever....anyway this circle is gonna release a cd with a new "portrait" of the witch....

Spoiler for link:



Well it could be the ending theme for ep 8 anyway....
kiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 16:28   Link #20349
Miss Mystery
The Dark Crow Smiles
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiby View Post
I dont know if it's a spoiler or whatever....anyway this circle is gonna release a cd with a new "portrait" of the witch....

Spoiler for link:



Well it could be the ending theme for ep 8 anyway....
I love these kinds of releases! <3 Think this portrait of Ange could mean anything?
__________________
Miss Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 16:32   Link #20350
Kurome
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
well if Ange reaches the truth in EP8 she can become agme master and create a game that ends on a happy note and get her relatives out of the game board...
dont really think it means much, I've seen many fake game master portraits already
Kurome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 17:04   Link #20351
Bern-san
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
the ange portrait is the cover of a cd called Noblesse Oblige that is going to be released on C79..
__________________
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 17:19   Link #20352
Miss Mystery
The Dark Crow Smiles
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurome View Post
well if Ange reaches the truth in EP8 she can become agme master and create a game that ends on a happy note and get her relatives out of the game board...
dont really think it means much, I've seen many fake game master portraits already
The portrait is most likely just there for the aesthetics. But I can't stop thinking about the meaning because I've been conditioned by all those art history classes X_x.
However, I think Ange will play some sort of role sometime during EP8. After all, it seems that her story still isn't over. Maybe in any future When They Cry series Ange will appear.
__________________
Miss Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 18:31   Link #20353
zorahk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_mccormik View Post
What do you guys think Ryukishi07 will write about after Umineko?

Ryukishi07 has written 2 stories so far in his When They Cry series: There is Higurashi, which has Eastern motifs such as tataris, ancient japanese curses and other distinctly japanese occult types of things. In contrast, Umineko has a more Western feel to it; We mostly see references to western literature such as Dante's Divine Comedy and Agatha Christie novels and various western occult figures.

After Umineko no naku koro ni, I predict that he'll go with one of the two remaining cardinal directions: Northern and Southern. By southern, I mean that the next work will be more influenced by cultures of the southern hemisphere, which includes African Voodoo, South American Santa Muerte, or whatever occult figures that Australian Aboriginals believe in.

If he goes with the Northern cardinal direction, he'll probably just write something involving Santa Claus.

Or Ryukishi07 could also possibly abandon cardinal directions and go with up/down. He could write something sorta like a hard sci-fi murder mystery in an orbital space station (such as the International Space Station) UP above earth. Or write about the legends of the mole people DOWN below.

Thinking about all the possible names for the future works is kinda fun too.
When penguins cry: Pengun no naku koro ni ペンギンのなく頃に
When kangaroos cry: Kangaruu no naku koro ni カンガルーのなく頃に
When they cry in space: Uchu ni kikoenai no naku koro ni 宇宙に聞こえないのなく頃に
「宇宙に聞こえないのなく頃に」is an awkwardly impossible title for a few reasons, but mainly because the なく we are referring to here is not "to cry" as in tears (泣く)but rather 鳴く, which can only be an animal, and also sounds better when used with a flying animal, esp birds, though you can use it with something else.
聞こえないのなく, while in theory grammatically possible, is about as awkward as it gets.

If you wanted a space opera it would have to be 宇宙に泣く頃に
My guess is the title will be another small, flying animal, since his previous two are cicada and seagull, and to fit with 鳴く
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 19:02   Link #20354
CainSonozaki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I wish they gave Ange an overly intricate and awesome dress
__________________
"Without love it can't be seen.
With love there will be falsehood.
With falsehood comes belief.
Right now the time where magic advents.
I am Beatrice-sama! Ahaha"
CainSonozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 20:38   Link #20355
Pika_power
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk View Post
「宇宙に聞こえないのなく頃に」is an awkwardly impossible title for a few reasons, but mainly because the なく we are referring to here is not "to cry" as in tears (泣く)but rather 鳴く, which can only be an animal, and also sounds better when used with a flying animal, esp birds, though you can use it with something else.
聞こえないのなく, while in theory grammatically possible, is about as awkward as it gets.

If you wanted a space opera it would have to be 宇宙に泣く頃に
My guess is the title will be another small, flying animal, since his previous two are cicada and seagull, and to fit with 鳴く
He could go with something abstract, such as "When the Stars Cry". Does that work, or can't stars qualify as small flying animals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
The sprites are all placeholders anyway, and the colors are merely for differentiation.
Do we have a source for this, or is it just fans' assumptions?
Pika_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 20:49   Link #20356
Helmet-kun
Local Crackpot
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Somewhere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika_power View Post
He could go with something abstract, such as "When the Stars Cry". Does that work, or can't stars qualify as small flying animals?

Only if the 'star' is some sort of French Poodle. (Go Hollywood)
__________________
Helmet-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 21:29   Link #20357
Mcjon01
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika_power View Post
He could go with something abstract, such as "When the Stars Cry". Does that work, or can't stars qualify as small flying animals?
Maybe he'll go with "When the Space-Bats Cry".
Mcjon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 23:42   Link #20358
Cross Clown
rule 63, pl0x
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind if he wrote a comedy though.
Cross Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 00:34   Link #20359
Keriaku
Thought Being
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
As long as any future series keeps the idea of fragments, expanding on the current meta-world, then I'll be satisfied.

I definitely think either ANGE or some derivative of Beatrice could be a recurring character when it's all said and done.

I could see it being ANGE, based on her existential crisis in EP4, knowing that she won't be able to go back to her family. In the end, I can envision a scenario where BATTLER stays behind with Beatrice, and ANGE, being satisfied with her understanding of the reality surrounding Rokkenjima, instead opts to wander the meta-plane.

I see Beatrice being a possibility based on the idea of all the wandering 'witches' being masters of a concept. And the endless concept seems to encapsulate the idea of the cat box, how truth or reality can be anything outside of observation.

I guess it all depends on what kind of concepts this When They Cry 5 series relies on, and what would be relevant.
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 00:47   Link #20360
Vylen
Apprentice Sorcerer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Where the Kangaroos Cry.
When The Mimes Cry

That's bound to be tragic

A comedy by Ryuukishi would be interesting - he certainly knows how to make funny scenes and give characters amusing quirks... whether or not he can make a full fledged comedy using the same approaches though is uncertain.
__________________
Vylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.