AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-01-07, 01:13   Link #1
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

The Citizen Kane or Watchmen of Anime and Manga

People often call the pinicle of a medium the Citizen Kane of ____.
Citizen Kane is regarded as the hight of film, Watchmen the hight of comics and graphic novels, Hamlet the hight of plays, Clannad the hight of visual novels and overall animation (separate from anime), and Mona Lisa the hight of paintings.
I know its not a smart thing to try to rank one work in a medium that has some much diverse work but in your opinion what would be the pinicle of anime and that of manga be?

(Also note I guess being popular is not really a reason, it has to have done something that is considered groundbreaking and changed the face of anime or manga)

Ok thanks I just wanted to know everyone's opinions.
ClannadDango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 01:21   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Neon Genesis Evangelion, for obvious reasons

Maison Ikkoku, which is still the template for romantic comedy anime today.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 01:24   Link #3
LifeILL

I don't think the pinnacle has even been reached. Or even if there IS one. I think manga and anime is ever-evolving.

I was in Japan for a few months and you won't believe the amount of truly well-done manga that is out there. There are so many quality manga that will never be scanlated or translated and it's a damn shame.

Because I tell you. 80-90% of the scanlated manga is terrible compared to the actual raw manga that's out there.

I don't think there is a pinnacle yet. And if there is, there's good chance that it's probably raw, un-scanlated, sitting in a Japanese bookstore. And we'll never know.
LifeILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 01:37   Link #4
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

Hmm I thought manga should have had it's Watchmen by now. I heard from avid manga readers that Astro Boy, Pluto, or 20th Century Boys were considered manga's Watchmen.

As well I guess Neon Genesis Evangelion would be anime's Citizen Kane, I also hear Cowboy Bebop and the works by Miyazaki would be included.

Interesting.
ClannadDango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 02:03   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't point to one anime, any more than I can point to Citizen Kane as the "Citizen Kane" of American film - it's one standard among many. I guess I would single out Evangelion as the most influential and intellectually complex anime ever. Seirei no Moribito is the most emotionally powerful and the finest character study. And 5 CM Per Second is the most visually beautiful and elegantly simple poetic work in the medium.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 02:09   Link #6
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

Yes I've heard 5 cm per Second was groundbreaking visually. I finally got along to watching it but for it's story I feel it was missing strong character development, emotion, and experience. Though I think it's one of the best Japanese works I've watched.
Old 2011-01-07, 14:46   Link #7
Soviet

I've called Cowboy Bebop the Citizen Kane of Anime before, hah. It's one of the very very few shows that I would even recommend to people who don't watch anime. Can't say the same about Evangelion which just feels "anime-weird". Bebop seems to transcend the usual trappings and tropes of anime AND it is incredibly well done.

For Manga... yeah, Pluto or 20th Century Boys are good choices. Berserk had its chance and blew it. But as LifeILL mentioned, there are probably a shitload of hidden pearls that haven't been picked up by Scanlators.
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 12:08   Link #8
Belial13

It's a matter of personal preference like with everything... for me it would probably have to be Monster... but then again i had to google Citizen Kane
Belial13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 12:35   Link #9
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

We already have a thread similar to this:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...hlight=emperor
Old 2011-01-08, 12:37   Link #10
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Well, if we go by the "Citizen Kane" logic, then it definately is Evagelion. Citizen Kain is the oldest most famous movie with strong character immersion. Well beats me if any other famous anime older than Evagelion had given such a depth to its characters. Some could throw in the Ghost in the Shell or Akira movies but those simply pale before their manga version.

As for manga, the oldest title I know which did that was Buddha, by Osamu Tezuka. But that is not famous at all. The first famous one is Nausicaa, by Hayao Miyazaki, although most only know the simplistic movie version. In recent times, the greatest title for me is not 20th Century Boys or Monster. It is Eden - It's An Endless World. Which is again not as famous as those other two.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
citizen kane, clannad, watchmen