AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-10, 08:36   Link #21
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I can attest to the greatness of this show, although the sheer length (74 episodes) can make it hard to stay interested throughout.
I take that you just don't enjoy long series.

Long series if well written are better than small series. With long series, you have time to get into characters and the story deeply.

And Monster accomplishes all with it's length. there are no filler episodes here, just intelligent brilliance from the original author amazing storytelling.

And naturally, you have to an adult with some level of culture (specially on 20th century european story) to be able to understand such stories, that goes without saying...
Old 2011-01-10, 11:19   Link #22
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Update: Have watched the first five episodes of Monster so far.

Excellent, excellent serious, no-frills, story-based anime. Precisely what the Dr. Tenma had ordered.

ragnarokr is right that it helps to have a certain appreciation for 20th century European culture to "get" this, and thankfully I have enough appreciation for that to get it. This is just very solid literature, with an European flavor.

To balance Monster out with slightly more conventional anime fare, I've also watched an episode of Shigofumi. I'm enjoying that as well so far.

I'll probably watch Planetes to fill a sci-fi niche, and one other anime, to go with these two, if I can find the time to squeeze them all in.

This thread should provide excellent anime recommendations for me to watch for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.
Old 2011-01-10, 11:27   Link #23
tehmuffinmon
Seleção

Argh, I was all set to recommend Monster but y'all beat me to it. Yeah, Monster is simply fantastic. It may be a relatively long series, but it's definitely worth it. The characterization is spectacular, the atmosphere is amazing, the design, realism, and dialogue are all intelligently done without being overbearing. And the animation quality is consistently solid, too, which is commendable given the sheer length. It's one of my favorite Anime, for sure.
Old 2011-01-10, 17:15   Link #24
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
I'm happy that you're following Monster. After Legend Of Galactic Heroes, it's probably the second smartest anime made. After you finish Monster and have already diggested the whole anime after some a good amount of time, try Rose of Versailles.
Old 2011-01-10, 21:35   Link #25
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Update: Have watched the first five episodes of Monster so far.
I'm surprised, no shocked, that you've never watched Monster. I could understand if you were nineteen, but how did you miss it when it came around the first time? You would have been, what, in your early-to-mid twenties when it was released? Were you not watching then, or did it just not register on your anime radar at the time?

Please don't take this as a criticism. It's just that you've probably been watching anime longer than me. When I started a few years' ago, I watched the most highly-rated shows at places like ANN and AniDB. Monster was at, or near, the top of the list as I recall. I'm just sad that one of my top-three anime of all time isn't automatically at the top of everyones' must-watch list.

Might I suggest you browse my signature with your mouse to see the other shows I'd recommend in response to your query? All of them constitute "serious, plot-driven anime" despite the fact that some of them have a good dose of comedy as well. Of those already mentioned, I'd quickly hand out seconds for Moribito, Twelve Kingdoms, Oh! Edo Rocket, and Dennou Coil, and add Bakeneko and Mononoke to the list.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-01-10 at 21:47.
Old 2011-01-10, 22:13   Link #26
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Normally, anime storytelling/plot is subpar, which I why personally I don't go for plot driven anime in this day in age, but I recently watched two which are the exceptions:

Seirei No Moribito - Possibly the best plot-driven fantasy anime I have seen to date. Contains palace politics, some action, tribalism/shamanism and best of all, non typical "anime" characters (i.e. over-the-top or exaggerated) with great character development.

Eve No Jikan (Movie) - Sci-fi anime that has influences from Isaac Asimov's book regarding androids. Has similar themes and issues with Blockbuster hits like Bicentennial Man and I-Robot. A superb drama that isn't romance-based, which is rare for anime.

Mushishi and Shigofumi are also excellent "one-off" plot-based animes as it is in an episodic format - the plot isn't continuous as each episode deals with a different story. Natsume Yuujinchou is another good episodic anime, but this one I will call a more lighthearted version of Mushishi.

Other personal favourites include Gunslinger Girl, Noir, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom and Black Lagoon.

I'll also vouch for series that some people have mentioned before me such as Boogiepop Phantom, Casshern Sins, Bokurano, and Baccano. For some reason, I couldn't get into Monster (watched about 12 episodes), but a lot of people regard it in high praise so I guess that shouldn't stop me from recommending it.

My choices are pretty "modern choices", so if you want more oldschool animes, then other people like ragnarokr have hammered it well.
Old 2011-01-10, 22:19   Link #27
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm surprised, no shocked, that you've never watched Monster. I could understand if you were nineteen, but how did you miss it when it came around the first time? You would have been, what, in your early-to-mid twenties when it was released? Were you not watching then, or did it just not register on your anime radar at the time?
I joined Anime Suki almost exactly three years ago.

Before I joined Anime Suki, my knowledge of anime was very limited, and shaped largely by a cousin of mine who was already heavily into anime (ironically, I'm probably now more into anime than he is). He was mostly into harem comedies, and shounen shows. So that was mostly what made up my anime-viewing experience early on, until I found Anime Suki and began researching the world of anime a bit more.

Bit by bit, I've been delving into the different animes out there, with a few AnimeSuki friends like 0utf0xZer0, acejem, and Archon_Wing influencing my anime viewing experience. Thanks to them, I've now seen a fair number of VN adaptations and slice of life shows. It's only been since Summer 2009 that I've been picking out some new animes to watch on a season-by-season basis.

I know this is probably very atypical, but I became an "anime fan" while in my mid-20s. In my teens, I was much more into American comic books, Star Trek, and video games. Around 2006, I fully transitioned from American comic books to anime. It took awhile for me to realize that anime (in the west) is like an iceberg: We only see the heavily localized tip of it on North American TV stations, but there's a vast array of other animes that float below the surface level.

Quote:

Please don't take this as a criticism. It's just that you've probably been watching anime longer than me. When I started a few years' ago, I watched the most highly-rated shows at places like ANN and AniDB. Monster was at, or near, the top of the list as I recall. I'm just sad that one of my top-three anime of all time isn't automatically at the top of everyones' must-watch list.
I found this site, Anime Suki, before I found ANN or AniDB, so Anime Suki has had the most impact (over the past three years) over what animes I've watched.

For what it's worth, Monster is already shaping up to be one of my 5 favorite animes of all time.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-01-10 at 22:33.
Old 2011-01-10, 22:21   Link #28
Berlin

If you like lain then try Ergo Proxy! Honestly no true correlation other than they are both unique and plot-driven. I am sure you have alot on your plate now but I do hope you manage to slip this one in the mix!
Old 2011-01-11, 03:17   Link #29
totoum
Gamer

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Just would like to add that like shigofumi and mushishi,gunslinger girl is episodic as well.

And I'll third the dennou coil recomendation,yes I love it.
Old 2011-01-11, 21:13   Link #30
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Even though parts of this anime still makes me rage; I'd say try Kaiji. The overall themes are very dark and serious; mostly about how people suck and how one can keep morals in extraordinary situations when everyone has crumbled to their own greed and fear.

Paranoia Agent is also a rather dark tale about the nastier side of human nature.

In both cases, the characters' vices and flaws are taken very seriously and lead to fucked up shit, as you'd expect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I joined Anime Suki almost exactly three years ago.

Before I joined Anime Suki, my knowledge of anime was very limited, and shaped largely by a cousin of mine who was already heavily into anime (ironically, I'm probably now more into anime than he is). He was mostly into harem comedies, and shounen shows. So that was mostly what made up my anime-viewing experience early on, until I found Anime Suki and began researching the world of anime a bit more.
lol sounds like me; although the gaps in my anime library when it comes to classics and other top rated shows are so bizarre it's kinda embarrassing . It's only natural we miss a show here and there.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-01-12, 01:26   Link #31
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
lol sounds like me; although the gaps in my anime library when it comes to classics and other top rated shows are so bizarre it's kinda embarrassing . It's only natural we miss a show here and there.
Geeze, looking at your list you haven't seen either of the shows the I suggested for this thread either, though I shouldn't be one to talk with how back logged I am .
Old 2011-01-12, 13:13   Link #32
JRendell
Manga Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to JRendell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
though I shouldn't be one to talk with how back logged I am .
I'm stupidly backlogged too. I blame the amount of newly airing anime

Protip: Manga originals are
always better than Anime
adaptions.

-listening to-
-current desktop-

Old 2011-01-12, 23:58   Link #33
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokr View Post
I take that you just don't enjoy long series.

Long series if well written are better than small series. With long series, you have time to get into characters and the story deeply.

And Monster accomplishes all with it's length. there are no filler episodes here, just intelligent brilliance from the original author amazing storytelling.

And naturally, you have to an adult with some level of culture (specially on 20th century european story) to be able to understand such stories, that goes without saying...
To be accurate, what I hate about long runners is finding the time to start/finish them. I've always had considerable difficulty with it.

This wasn't an issue for me with Monster because I saw it at my local anime club, which I purposely make time to attend because I have friends there. We also had a consistent screening schedule for it: one six to seven episode session per week for twelve weeks, on an LCD projector in a dark room (so basically a theatre-like experience in session length and overall feel).

There's no point in the series where I outright lost interest, but the last few screenings (excluding the final arc) felt like a bit of a slog.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Closed Thread