AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 117 56.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 27.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 11.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.92%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.48%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.48%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.96%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-21, 11:18   Link #181
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Ahh Genten, I have the same question too. Mephistopheles Kyubey from how it seems, is playing a game, but of what sort? To whom has Mephistopheles wagered? And with what did he wager with? We've yet really seen the Prolog im Himmel, as ironic as it is...

Sayaka is a character that I do like. She is shown to be one that is open to critical thinking time and time again. I hope that she can actually remain out of the radar enough to make more acute observations about the figures that she finds herself facing...
Exactly. I'm immensely curious as to what the higher agenda is: what is the ultimate goal of the game? Why are they playing it? Why is Kyubey himself involved? Who are the witches and magical girls and what part do they play in this game? I recall reading in a topic about this series on another forum that said this anime is going to skip to all out magical girl warfare. I'm inclined to agree with that decision: the only question is why is that war being waged?

I agree, I sincerely hope Sayaka gets more screentime. I imagine that she will become much more important then the series so far lets on: she seems close to Homura, almost, with her constant questions about becoming a magical girl. It's a shame no one seems to pay attention to her. When this series ends I am going to make a Sayaka fansite, I swear it.
Old 2011-01-21, 11:33   Link #182
rocket
Senior and Demented

Wow, wow, wow! Shit got real.

This story is delivering everything at all levels. I am super impressed! Even the witch animation was awesome this episode, without having to come up with a totally new style for the labyrinths!

So my two big hunches were confirmed this episode. Madoka's mothers life and choices at work are supposed to parallel Madoka's situation. Sayaka was in contact with someone who had real suffering and that's why she was mature.

Then we had two bouts of surprisingly mature discussion that I didn't expect! Mami calling out Sayaka on the underlying selfishness of a selfless wish, and Madoka's self reflection on her wish and realizing she wanted to do more than just wish for cake! These two notes I think are more implant than we realize and were intentionally overshadowed by the shock of the episode later on. For some reason when Mami was talking to Sayaka about her selfless wish, I got a strong sense she might be talking about Homura.

Then wow, the big shock. Totally didn't expect that! Not now. Not to Mami. Of course this is a post Kamina world so much like Eva set a bar for serious anime directors to tilt at for years, I suspect Shinbo and crew have been waiting for a chance to surprise viewers with something that provides as many twists and turns as GL. Now I'm hoping a new opening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
in my main theory, Madoka already _was_ a MG before Homura became a MG and used her own wish to rip Madoka out of the meat grinder
I think Homura and Mami conversation in the park makes this theory less likely. If Homura knew Madoka and Mami knew them both in the past, why would Mami's reaction to Homura's intention be "so you noticed her power too?" To me this implies that Homura's agenda is motivated less by Madoka the person and more by the role that Madoka could play in the "game". I suppose Mami's memories of Madoka could have been erased as part of Homura' theoretical wish, but why not Homura's? I think instead that it's more likely that Homura's wish turned out badly and that she know that with Madoka's large latent power her bad wish would be catastrophic... Though even that interpretation doesn't explain why Mami is a willing helper in ther recruiting. I think we just need to learn more about the "game" and its rules. I suspect there are more significant actors yet to be revealed!
Old 2011-01-21, 11:44   Link #183
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I suspect that the meat grinder works like this: A victim contracts with Kyubey for a wish and gains the soul gem. The soul gem contaminates _automatically_, even if the girl doesn't use magic. And if the gem is polluted too much, a MG turns into a witch herself. So, all MGs are forced to fight witches merely to stay alive. The bigger the soul gem, the higher is the spoilage, and so a powerful MG needs to collect more Grief Seeds to purify her gem and stay a MG. This also fits with what Miki said that MGs are in competition with each other: If your own soul gem is dangerously polluted, you won't accept if other MGs try for the same witch. And it's stable: If there's no witches to defeat (and so, no chance to purify your soul gem), soon there will be new witches by default pollution. Maybe - and this would be the most gruesome form, and it's obviously at least not unthinkable - it might even cause MGs to fight between each other.

It's like a drug racket, a cannibalizing pyramid scheme without escape. If my suspicion is mostly on target, the only correct decision is to STAY AWAY, or maybe try to somehow break up the racket. Not to join it.
Completely agreed with this model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
I don't believe Madoka will wish her back to life: not only would that destroy a perfect emotionally shocking death scene but, a) we don't know that you can bring people back to life, b) even if you could wish someone back to life there is no guarentee that she would remember Madoka, Sayaka, or Kyubey, or even have any magical powers herself, and c) I don't think Mami would want to be brought back to life.
I suspect that revival won't be outside the limits of the wish as some speculate, but if anything is, turning back from being a mahoshojo would be. Whatever Kyubey has to gain from this, it actually benefits him more if he can really perform "any miracle" as advertised AND without "I'm going to stretch your wording and give you something crappy" catches, as long as he can draw more "customers". In that case, the only thing you can't get is to escape from the deal (from another angle, a wish like "I want every mahoshojo to become a normal person again" would be too destructive for him).

In fact, when you think about it, if revival wishes are possible for him... witches go around causing murders and suicides, so he could easily draw in new mahoshojo by granting a relative or friend of the deceased such a miracle.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 12:01   Link #184
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
man,now i'm also reminded how i'm going to suffer in hell since THE END IS NEAR! uggh. yeah,too pessimistic i guess. DX but srsly, it's either a few would remain alive in madoka or none at all. total rupture. XD
Double post, nearly an hour apart.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 12:03   Link #185
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
I think Homura and Mami conversation in the park makes this theory less likely. If Homura knew Madoka and Mami knew them both in the past, [...]
Where is this coming from? I haven't noticed any clue whatsoever that Mami knew any of them in the past.

Quote:
why would Mami's reaction to Homura's intention be "so you noticed her power too?"
Because she thinks that it's only due to Madoka's latent potential she is currently sensing too. It's not based on any "prior knowledge" of hers. I doubt that Mami has met either Homura or Madoka before.

Quote:
To me this implies that Homura's agenda is motivated less by Madoka the person and more by the role that Madoka could play in the "game".
So how did she know all these things about Madoka, the school and the rest, while Madoka knew nothing? If Homura and Madoka had never met before? Why did Madoka dream about Homura before they met?

I see no plausible answer to that other than that they had a joint past.

Quote:
I suppose Mami's memories of Madoka could have been erased as part of Homura' theoretical wish, but why not Homura's?
Because Mami never had any memories to begin with. She didn't know them. And Homura was the one who made the wish. No need to erase any of her memories for the wish to work.

Quote:
I think instead that it's more likely that Homura's wish turned out badly and that she know that with Madoka's large latent power her bad wish would be catastrophic...
What wish? In your reading, what's Homura's wish?

Quote:
Though even that interpretation doesn't explain why Mami is a willing helper in ther recruiting.
That's blatantly obvious. She's helping with recruiting because she's lonely as hell, and she is hoping to make friends with Madoka and Sayaka. She clearly said so.

Quote:
I think we just need to learn more about the "game" and its rules. I suspect there are more significant actors yet to be revealed!
Maybe, but I think we know enough to already deduce most of what's going on. I'd expect the outline of rules which I described above to be mostly confirmed in the next eps.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 12:23   Link #186
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Double post, nearly an hour apart.
man did i? sorry, i just forgot to subscribe to the thread and came back. i didn't know i did a double post. sorry again.XDD

EDIT: i had it deleted already. XD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 14:10   Link #187
PastPrime

Given how conveniently everything has happened, with witches showing up at just the right time, I think that Kyubey is orchestrating everything. And, given that the title of the next episode is "Both miracles and magic exist," I think it probable that Madoka will use her wish to bring Mami back. The question is, in what form will she return. I don't think that it would be as a magical girl since her death should have ended the contract. Perhaps Kyubey will take Madoka to a maternity ward where a pair of parents suddenly decide to name their new daughter Mami because it seems appropriate, perhaps with Homura watching and having a flash back to a much younger version of herself watching the same thing, except the parents naming their daughter Madoka. I don't think apparent age is a real problem since it is likely that Magical Girls in that world stop aging at some point. No old Grannies fighting witches.

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 14:11   Link #188
tsunade666

Wow, finally got some time to watched it and it totally shocks me. The death of Mami is really shocking despite the knowledge about the staff.

At first I was suspicious of Mami given that her premises shown in episode 2 but from episode 3 it's made clear and her role as the one who teach them being a magical girl is already fulfilled. the staff just killed her -_- I'm expecting a friend or a family of madoka that's in trouble that would lead her into contract but not this.

They will be feared on making contract.

Kyubey = super evil master mind

and on the link provided on amazon. While searching through it I find this picture.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...E/rankbank-22/

not sure if the on the cover is official but if its official work. Then the theory that everyone beside homura and madoka will be left alive will become true.

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 14:13   Link #189
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Ohh nooooesss!

My favoirte character is dead!

What to do now, guess I'll throw my focus towards Homura or the evil bunny.

Still a little unsure about how I feel about this anime another ep or 2 should do.
Old 2011-01-21, 14:31   Link #190
Haak
Watching Ookami Shoujo...

Dear lord, this show just took away the last of my innocence and raped it.

Curse you, Urobochi Gen. You've done it again. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!?!?!
Old 2011-01-21, 15:19   Link #191
Phyris

Wow.

We expected this show to break some new ground, and it did!

Everything about this episode was just awesome. Mami's death, the animation, the character development, the music..... I was worried that Sayaka would end up being one of those typical, 2-dimensional tomboy characters, but she is actually really mature and likeable. Her reaction to Homura was understandable. Her friend just died and this cold, uncaring-seeming character comes along and just takes what rightfully should have been Mami's....if only she knew that Homura is just trying to protect them!

As for Kyuube: I thought he was evil, but I am kinda starting to think he's just apathetic towards the fate of his contractors. He probably just represents the cruelty of the system in the guise of an archetypical magical girl mascot and might not end up being the villain in the end. The real villain is the system itself. I wouldn't be surprised if the story actually never delve into the origin of this system. That's what Uta-Kata did and it worked. Only difference being, Uta-Kata was obscenely boring; this show actually has me on the edge of my seat!

This show is only one-cour right? I have a feeling this is going the Mai hime route...without doing the Mai hime copout. The opening scene that shows Madoka crying seems to foreshadow much, much more to come in terms of tragedies.

And who came up with the meatgrinder analogy? Because it just keeps reminding me of the crunching sound of Mami's death *shudders". I am still getting over the fact that I just saw that! Is that why Ume Aoki is doing the character design? Because his characters have awfully convenient big heads?

There was another Puella Magi in the ending, which I suspect is the red-haired girl in the opening. Hopefully we'll see her soon! I hope the opening will be different for next episode as well. Shaft has always been pretty gratuitous when it comes to changing opening sequence.

PS: Wouldn't be surprised if Madoka and Sayaka are now pushed into making and contract and after they do, Kyuube just suddenly goes, "Oops, silly me, almost forgot. If you don't keep collecting grief seeds, you turn into a witch."
Phyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 15:39   Link #192
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So got to know Mami's wish, didn't have much of a choice did she.

When Sayaka was discussing her wish did Kyubey & Mami imply that something bad happened last time when someone made a wish for someone else?

Convinced Kyubey is evil. I think Mami's death was planned in order to make Sayaka and Madoka make their contracts sooner. I think Kyubey will get one of them to wish Mami back to life if that's possible?

Upset that we didn't get to quite see all of Homura's fighting stye
Old 2011-01-21, 16:04   Link #193
Clarste
Human

I agree with Phyris that Kyube probably isn't evil exactly. More likely he's just neutral and apathetic. In this kind of situation it becomes more dramatic when the villain isn't just someone who can beat up. There's no one to blame except yourself and the world, and all that.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 16:04   Link #194
zato_1one

Interesting image from madoka wikia.

I remember that someone said that ED from Kalafina doesn't fit with the theme of anime. But now it looks like it's actually the OP that doesn't fit.
Old 2011-01-21, 16:07   Link #195
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
When Sayaka was discussing her wish did Kyubey & Mami imply that something bad happened last time when someone made a wish for someone else?
No, Kyubey says it's not a problem (he's always eager to make contracts lol). Mami objected because she thought wishing for someone else could be selfish.

Mami said, "do you want to make his wish come true or do you want to be the one to make his wish come true?" They're no the same thing, the latter is more selfish. Basically Mami warned Sayaka to make sure she wouldn't be doing this for her own ends (like, to earn the guy's gratitude or something).

In fact, it was a fair warning.
Old 2011-01-21, 16:16   Link #196
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
Interesting image from madoka wikia.
Yes, we know that one. Some folks posted that around here a few days ago.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 16:24   Link #197
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for 3:
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 16:33   Link #198
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Yes, we know that one. Some folks posted that around here a few days ago.
Ahh, my bad. Just came back to check the forum. I still didn't read all posts.
Old 2011-01-21, 16:50   Link #199
jedinat
フリーター

Meh, I felt like she was going to die, and knew it when she opened up and became happy just before the fight, lol.

I'm getting seriously frustrated that 3 episodes have gone by and the protagonist still hasn't become a mahou shoujo... this was the episode to do it. Two episode stalling was enough to firmly establish that, yes, this is not your average magical girl show. Now I'm just kind of annoyed.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 16:53   Link #200
Clarste
Human

She needs something important to spend her wish on. Mami's death is surely that something important, regardless of how such a wish might end up.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote