AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-21, 14:09   Link #1961
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Europe - The Netherlands
Age: 25
Quote:
Found something written by you (Kaito-kid), and that is the ultimate proof that GSD is not successful since you brush aside everything I come up with and stick with your viewership=success formula.
You still haven't proven anything. You continue to base your argument on your own assumptions and try to sell them as facts.

TV ratings/Sales/Popularity=Success is a formula used by the entertainment industry around the world. I didn't invent it.

Quote:
Fukuda is not involved in any anime production since GSD. If he is so successful in GSD, then like you said, he would have his hands full with new anime production. He is not involved in any new anime production is the proof you need that GSD is not successful. (See the logic: GSD is successful: Fukuda have his hands full with new anime\ ?????: Fukuda do not have his hands full with new anime. What is ????? stands for?)
And you continue to assume things and present them as arguments.. As I said in the post you quoted, I don't know why he didn't make more Anime and neither do you. maybe he had issues in his personal life, maybe he had some trouble with the studio, or maybe his reason is a very simple one, like: "I don't feel like doing another one, cos I'm busy swimming in my huge pile of cash"

I don't have much to say about your "Fukuda failed so GSD is a fail" argument..
Saying that Fukuda failed because he didn't do another Anime and then even claiming that Destiny failed because he didn't do more projects is something that my Logic-O-Meter™ can't digest.

Quote:
GS is a success, GSD is not. I think I make myself very clear in my last post. People watch GSD because of the success of GS. To measure success of GSD, viewership is only one of the elements. Other elements include amount of sequels
Other 'elements' like DVD sales? Higher poll ranking? better music sales? ..Destiny did better then SEED (and most other Gundam series) in all of all of these categories..


Quote:
company policy and directions (they abandon GSverse and go into G00)...etc. All of that indicate GSD is not as successful as Sunrise would like.
And now they seem to be moving away from 00.. So by your logic, 00 is a flop.. I'm sorry but this is just pure lolz


Quote:
Tons of shit shows and shit characters top the charts in Japan. That's not helping your argument any.
No it's helping my argument plenty. They are on the charts because they are Popular. The fact that you think those characters are shit doesn't make any difference.


Quote:
Destiny was successful with general audiences at the time, but did not go over well with most Gundam fans; aside from the years of mostly negative backlash to GSD
The whole 'Gundma fans are more important than general audiences' is bullshit to begin with. But apparently the 'Gundam fans hate CE' argument is also bullshit.. Mr. brightman recently posted a Demographic breakdown that shows that Seed AND Destiny did better than something like 00 among most age groups, even the older Gundam fans.

Quote:
there's also the fact that most GSD Gunpla is still collecting dust on store shelves. So for Gundam fans--the audience that actually matters
Source?
This actually might be true, but I'm not sure..

Quote:
GSD was not a success. And that's why Bandai/Sunrise, while not cancelling the SEED movie, are in no rush to release it either.
Yeah.... that's what a big studio like Sunrise dose to a failed series.. Give it a damn movie and patiently wait while the director is probably busy drinking kool-aid..
__________________
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 14:50   Link #1962
nyxem
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
GSD didnt failed.Even is failed is beause of shinn ;D anyway GSD > 00 all the way.
nyxem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 15:21   Link #1963
Throne Zwei
Londo Bell Taskforce
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Surely those who watched Destiny simply because it's a sequel of SEED wouldn't buy the DVDs if they didn't like it.
Some buy the dvds because it's part of a franchise they love. At the same time they acknowledge that series is pretty bad or they don't like it. Andres from Tomopop owns the boxset but acknowledges that and I'm certain Chris from MAHQ owns it too but also doesn't like the series. Buying the dvds does not necessarily equate to liking the series.
__________________
Throne Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 15:42   Link #1964
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Europe - The Netherlands
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throne Zwei View Post
Some buy the dvds because it's part of a franchise they love. At the same time they acknowledge that series is pretty bad or they don't like it. Andres from Tomopop owns the boxset but acknowledges that and I'm certain Chris from MAHQ owns it too but also doesn't like the series. Buying the dvds does not necessarily equate to liking the series.
you are talking about a very very small Demographic here..
__________________
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 15:51   Link #1965
Throne Zwei
Londo Bell Taskforce
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
you are talking about a very very small Demographic here..
Posting some specific examples here buddy...
__________________
Throne Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 16:18   Link #1966
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throne Zwei View Post
Posting some specific examples here buddy...
I think your examples are the exceptions to the rule.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 16:25   Link #1967
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Europe - The Netherlands
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throne Zwei View Post
Posting some specific examples here buddy...
You can't be fuc*ing serious... Are you really asking me to prove that people buy GSD DVDs because they don't hate it but because they like it??
__________________
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 18:42   Link #1968
tetsuo69
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: nyc
i loled so hard at some comments that just seem pure personal opinion.

its clear that for most fans outside japan GSD was a pure failer but thats just personal opinions cuz GSD did pretty good in japan.

kira still ranking so high after so many years and often beats setsuna that just had a series and a movie on the anime and gundam polls, that would be more than enough to prove that GSD wasnt the best shit ever but was far from failer.
__________________
tetsuo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 04:24   Link #1969
Paladinoras
Pancakes
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Your House. No, really, look properly.
Lol, Fukuda is not directing any more shows because of two primary reasons, neither of which had anything to do with how GSD sold.

First, Seiyuus hate his guts cause he mistreated some of them during the process of making GSD, most prominently Naomi Shindoh, the person who voiced Cagalli. If rumors are true, he lambasted Maaya Sakamoto too. (Lunamaria Hawke) So he'd pretty much have to voice his own characters if he ever decides to direct a new anime.

Second, his wife has freaking BRAIN CANCER. Infer on your own. For all I know, he could be a masochistic wife beater, but if he's a normal one, and his wife got brain cancer, he'd be taking care of her instead of going out there directing shows. The fact that his wife is always around helping him somehow also plays a role.
__________________


Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 13:50   Link #1970
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
Lol, Fukuda is not directing any more shows because of two primary reasons, neither of which had anything to do with how GSD sold.

First, Seiyuus hate his guts cause he mistreated some of them during the process of making GSD, most prominently Naomi Shindoh, the person who voiced Cagalli. If rumors are true, he lambasted Maaya Sakamoto too. (Lunamaria Hawke) So he'd pretty much have to voice his own characters if he ever decides to direct a new anime.
Don't forget that at the 2008 NY Anime Festival, Rie Tanaka said that Lacus was the hardest role she played so far, partly because she had to act in a certain way to make Fukuda/Morosawa happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
Second, his wife has freaking BRAIN CANCER. Infer on your own. For all I know, he could be a masochistic wife beater, but if he's a normal one, and his wife got brain cancer, he'd be taking care of her instead of going out there directing shows. The fact that his wife is always around helping him somehow also plays a role.
Morosawa had cancer, but she didn't specify what kind of cancer she had. But I can't help but think if her "cancer" excuse means that she's going through a Hideaki Anno-esque Creator Breakdown phase.
__________________
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 17:26   Link #1971
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
But I can't help but think if her "cancer" excuse means that she's going through a Hideaki Anno-esque Creator Breakdown phase.
Unless you have proof that she's faking her condition, I'd suggest you don't talk lightly about it.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 06:16   Link #1972
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
never knew they was a debate that last for 5 years. seem GSD is most "discussed" series in anime history
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 11:22   Link #1973
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Unless you have proof that she's faking her condition, I'd suggest you don't talk lightly about it.
It's just my cynical side saying it.

I feel sorry for her.
__________________
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 04:57   Link #1974
Paladinoras
Pancakes
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Your House. No, really, look properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
Don't forget that at the 2008 NY Anime Festival, Rie Tanaka said that Lacus was the hardest role she played so far, partly because she had to act in a certain way to make Fukuda/Morosawa happy.
Nah, I think for once, that was more of Rie Tanaka being more of a free spirit while Lacus is way more grounded.

Quote:
Morosawa had cancer, but she didn't specify what kind of cancer she had. But I can't help but think if her "cancer" excuse means that she's going through a Hideaki Anno-esque Creator Breakdown phase.
....No, she actually has it. Proven, which is partially to blame for the erratic developments of GSD.
__________________


Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 17:16   Link #1975
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
never knew they was a debate that last for 5 years. seem GSD is most "discussed" series in anime history
And to some individuals, that can be considered a success... in a way...

Oops...

- Tak (Yes, I loved GSD... sue me)
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2011-01-26 at 11:45.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 16:56   Link #1976
Last_Hope
System/Web developer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
Nah, I think for once, that was more of Rie Tanaka being more of a free spirit while Lacus is way more grounded.
Which goes hand in hand with Rie Tanaka also saying that the 2nd Lacus (Im sorry I forgot her real name) being much more fun to voice than Lacus.

//
The words success and failure in themselves are too abstract. Its much more interesting to talk about specific goals. Do the ones calling Destiny a failure base that solely on their own opinion or do they factor in (pro) critics, money, hard core fans or perhaps the mainstream audience? If its only personal opinions its more right to say that Destiny failed to reach their expectations than calling it a failure.

By the way. Its a lie to say that Destiny failed completely but it certainly has a long way to go to reach the heights of its prequel.
__________________

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!

Last edited by Last_Hope; 2011-01-27 at 17:07.
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 17:43   Link #1977
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
Tons of shit shows and shit characters top the charts in Japan. That's not helping your argument any.
That 'shit show' and its 'shit character(s)' top charts in Japan for a decade (and still topping several charts, including top Gundam pilots). I find it difficult to agree with you when their popularity persists until the present day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
aside from the years of mostly negative backlash to GSD, there's also the fact that most GSD Gunpla is still collecting dust on store shelves.
A fact, you say? Gee, I guess that is why HLJ always have to restock them.

The Freedom Gundam and its successor is one of the most popular Gunpla kits ever released to the public, with some variants that even I don't think should exist. Never mind it being one of the most manipulated kits by various Gunpla masters. So unless you have statistical data backing your claims, I am going to treat your statement with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
So for Gundam fans--the audience that actually matters (as the non-fans will just move from one show to the next no matter what)--GSD was not a success. And that's why Bandai/Sunrise, while not cancelling the SEED movie, are in no rush to release it either.
Gundam fans based on which demographic? It was a widely popular show in East Asia when it first came out, not only in Japan but many Chinese-language sites went nuts over it, always eager to discuss following episodes.

And even if it somehow failed with the Western demographic, so what? Its not a show made for Westerners anyway, Sunrise can't give less of a shit about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope View Post
The words success and failure in themselves are too abstract. Its much more interesting to talk about specific goals. Do the ones calling Destiny a failure base that solely on their own opinion or do they factor in (pro) critics, money, hard core fans or perhaps the mainstream audience? If its only personal opinions its more right to say that Destiny failed to reach their expectations than calling it a failure.
Thats a good point, really. When the first episode of GSD aired, I wasn't looking forward to the new protagonists at all, hell, even when the show was first announced, I was not remotely impressed with the new cast of characters. Deep down inside, I was hoping for Kira & Lacus to return. As it turned out, they returned, in a big way, and I was happy, therefore making GSD a success seeing how it met my goals as an audience.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2011-01-27 at 18:51.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 13:09   Link #1978
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope View Post
Which goes hand in hand with Rie Tanaka also saying that the 2nd Lacus (Im sorry I forgot her real name) being much more fun to voice than Lacus.
Q10: Whats the hardest character for you to do?

Rie: Probably Lacus. Part of it was because I played Meer at the same time, but Lacus was not very realistic like a human being. There isnt a lot of emotion and she doesnt show it. Shes always nice and gentle, and she doesnt show much human emotions. She always has her own style. Because of the war that is going on, and the people dying, she expressed a bit of anger and sadness, but I had to play it in a certain style. I always had to check with the director to make sure its what he wants.

Source: http://www.omonomono.com/2008/09/30/...-tanaka-panel/


GM: Whats the most difficult role that youve played, and how did you overcome it?

RT: [Gundam SEED's] Lacus Clyne, because the character has to be very reserved and commanding, even if shes mad or showing some expressions, she still has to be a reserved character, and this was over a span of four years including Destiny, and it was very difficult.

Source: http://www.animevice.com/news/nyaf08...rie-tanaka/25/


Linda asked about difficult characters and Tanaka brought up Lacus Clyne from Gundam Seed. Lacus was difficult since she was not very realistic concerning her role in the story. She doesnt show a lot of emotions. The story is centered on war, but even when she is angry, she has to keep a certain style that is true to her character which was very difficult. Tanaka received much support from her director on this role.

Source: http://liheliso.com/buzz/archive/00001038.htm


Oh, and the "2nd Lacus" you're talking about is Meer Campbell.
__________________
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 22:02   Link #1979
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
Q10: What’s the hardest character for you to do?

Rie: Probably Lacus. Part of it was because I played Meer at the same time, but Lacus was not very realistic like a human being.
Oh, from her mouth to God's ears...Well atleast she knew she was playing the biggest Mary Sue in Gundam history...



Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
never knew they was a debate that last for 5 years. seem GSD is most "discussed" series in anime history
Dude gets some popcorn and go look in the animesuki archives...GSD was alot of things, mostly absolutely soul-crushing and awful, but if it had one saving grace it was the fact that it produced some of the funniest, if not ultra-intense, if not uber-epic episode discussion threads in the history of this site...I was here for it all, and animesuki has never been as bare feet and crazy as it was during those days...The Gundam forum was the place to be...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 22:14   Link #1980
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Oh, from her mouth to God's ears...Well atleast she knew she was playing the biggest Mary Sue in Gundam history...
Her comment was not really surprising

I think fans began to accept the status of Lacus & Kira as some kind of minor deities since their return in Destiny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Dude gets some popcorn and go look in the animesuki archives...GSD was alot of things, mostly absolutely soul-crushing and awful,
You know I still disagree with you about this after 5 years, but whats been said had been said, and I am glad we have decided to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
but if it had one saving grace it was the fact that it produced some of the funniest, if not ultra-intense, if not uber-epic episode discussion threads in the history of this site...I was here for it all, and animesuki has never been as bare feet and crazy as it was during those days...The Gundam forum was the place to be...
Oh, I remember those days...

The debate and discussions were so intense to the point where everything else was thrown out the window. Hell, even when 00 was first announced, it barely registered as a blip on our Gundam radar...

And people thought Kira was going to steal 00's glory...

- Tak (CAGALI IS CRYIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!)
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.