AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Infinite Stratos

Notices

View Poll Results: Infinite Stratos - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 13 14.13%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 21.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 27.17%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 18.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 6.52%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 4.35%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.26%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 4.35%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-28, 08:44   Link #41
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
Because Charles is a girl's name in france.
No it's not. But maybe the Japanese believe it is. I don't know.

(But yeah. Everything about him screams "reverse trap".)

Other thing that didn't make sense: the preview. Even with a 100% bishounen rate in the male student population, isn't IS academy the worst place to go if you're boy-crazy, short of an actual all girl school?


Also, how did Ichika make a plan without anyone other than Cecilia knowing about it? How did they communicate?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 08:48   Link #42
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Armacham Replica Training center
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
No it's not. But maybe the Japanese believe it is. I don't know.

(But yeah. Everything about him screams "reverse trap".)

Other thing that didn't make sense: the preview. Even with a 100% bishounen rate in the male student population, isn't IS academy the worst place to go if you're boy-crazy, short of an actual all girl school?


Also, how did Ichika make a plan without anyone other than Cecilia knowing about it? How did they communicate?
actually, charles is an absolute *gets shot by AWM by mod*
__________________
lets roll
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 08:52   Link #43
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Also, how did Ichika make a plan without anyone other than Cecilia knowing about it? How did they communicate?
The anime seems to be holding back alot of details from us.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 09:02   Link #44
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Well the fight with Rin was still rather cliche with lots of typical one liners (Her attack has no blind spots! It only be used once!), but the interuption was a bit of an interesting surprise. As expected, all the conditions are met so that Ichika and Rin have to fight it together. Colored black so we know just how evil it's supposed to be, though I suspected immediately it was an AI.

Ichika handled things rather than well but Rin's tsundereing during the battle was kinda annoying. It was rather stupid, though, for Ichika to talk about his swords abilities, how he has to hold back usually when competeting and thinks he could now go full force when he already has afeeling that IS was listening the whole time. And I LOLed at the fact that it would actually stop to let them talk.

Things got sufficiently idiotic when Houki decided drop several IQ's again.
Rin shooting Ichika to power him up? - Lame.
Ichika's idealistic "I will protect everyone!"? - Double lame.
Ichika getting falcon punched? - Awesome
Cecilia's timely Big Damn Heroes? - Meh. I guess it was a little clever. Though I wonder why the teachers didn't get there first. But I guess adults are all useless in this story.
Ichika having to give the final blow? - Destroyed what little decency the fight had left.

Ichika's cluelessness is starting to reach retarded levels, aswell. He can't even tell what's going on when they're arguing over him right in front of him.

A pretty standard episode, I guess.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 09:25   Link #45
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
This episode reminds me a lot of why I watch such shows: the male lead beating females into submission before turning them into his love slaves in his ever growing harem.

Okay no not really, but it was a cool looking fight nonetheless even though I've seen it all before, only now with cool CG and smooth animation.

As for next week I don't care if it sucks. Hanazawa Kana playing what appears to be a a girl pretending to be a guy. This I HAVE to see.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 09:29   Link #46
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr325 View Post
If the TVA follows the LN correctly, here is what's gonna happen in EP04



Spoiler for Possible EP04 story:

Mah~ It more or less happened the way you've said it would
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 10:05   Link #47
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Armacham Replica Training center
guys...

ANYONE WHO FINDS CHIFUYU BLUSHING AN EPIC WIN SAY I.
__________________
lets roll
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 10:07   Link #48
Tempester
is making a new theme.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Age: 23
Yes! We finally got a good episode from Infinite Stratos! I think I understand where the strength of this series lies: in the action. Both fights in this episode were exciting and fun. Especially notable was the part where Ichika darted across the ground to avoid Rin's long-ranged attacks. The fight with the drone was rather intense. Ichika's sister is a pretty cool character. And I like Rin more after this episode, she's definitely the best candidate so far in Ichika's harem. Of course, the show devolved to its typical quality after the fight ended, with the three girls bickering like chipmunks over getting "head starts" on Ichika and all. I can't be very optimistic about the show from this point onwards. The author can carry action well and is nicely comprehensive with his tech, but he can't write romantic interactions if you pointed a gun at his head. So I can guess that the quality of this show will ultimately depend on its action and plot. I'm quite interested now that there seems to be a villain lurking in the shadows, as a villain is exactly what Infinite Stratos needs to kick start an engaging plot. Just, please, skimp out on the bad romance cliches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
guys...

ANYONE WHO FINDS CHIFUYU BLUSHING AN EPIC WIN SAY I.
I smiled at that part. Her reaction to her own slip-up was funny.
__________________
MyAnimeList
- - - - -
Visual novel list
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Nagi no Asukara
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 10:10   Link #49
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
^ I thought that slip up was supposed to indicate that, contrary to what she was saying, she was actually pretty worried herself. Guess i was thinking too much into it.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 10:10   Link #50
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Kinda wish people had refrained from posting spoilers concerning Charles. His true idendity is pretty damn obvious considering who's voicing him, but even so, that's no reason to outright state it.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 10:19   Link #51
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
seriously? did the person who called me a whiny hater watch the same ep as me? and if so, where is your explanation of why this ep was so great? grow a pair and refute my statements. yes, Chifu-nee is a tsundere, so is everyone else in the show, but when everything else is so bad, i don't get how you can stand up for it. stay classy. i'm not going to neg rep people's posts and be like, "hey, you're completely wrong in your opinion" despite the fact this ep was pretty horrible.

as a person who doesn't read the light novels or the manga (if there is one) this episode was horrible to me. i'm not expecting much out of this show, but when it deviates from its few strengths (that is, playing on every cliche in the harem genre), there really isn't much good in this show.

as for Charles, i don't know who's voicing him, but its just another cliche of the harem genre. its obvious enough that a blind person can figure it out.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 10:26   Link #52
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
as for Charles, i don't know who's voicing him, but its just another cliche of the harem genre. its obvious enough that a blind person can figure it out.
Indeed, it's just that I didn't think it was going to be an actual plot point before this episode (I was spoiled ages ago in the general thread, I wasn't talking about this one in particular) since it was so obvious. I guess everyone else thought the same which is why we never even paid attention to it.

Guess this just shows once again how poor this show's plot is. At least the animation for the fights is good. That and Hanazawa Kana is enough to keep me watching. More like, those are the only reasons I'm still watching it (nah, actually, I like Yukana and Hikasa too).
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 12:00   Link #53
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
wow, surprising episode.

Didn't expect the fight to get interrupted like that.

And also, the whole battle lasted the entire episode, pretty nice..
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 12:43   Link #54
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Watching again this episode and reading the actual situation from the LN pretty much confirm this episode only saving grace was the action element in a... "broad" definition.

Not going to repeat people's arguments in full details, but yes, this episode didn't make a lot of sense (be it Rin's attitude, the power up replacing the "ignition boost" idea, "drone being interested in their chat", Houki and Cecilia, etc).
However, I'm more surprised that no one mentioned the issue with Ichika's shield nullification attack (let's use SNA for short).
I must admit that the whole deal with that attack is a bit difficult to take seriously now: I mean, Ichika activated Yukihara 2 right from the bat, so it was a bit... odd to use from the get go (implying you are draining yourself quite early for no damn good reason).
That said, for sake of argument, let's assume that activating Yukihara energy blade doesn't mean you are using the SNA, then I question how come he suddenly used that against Cecilia in Episode 2 without knowing (despite he had to activate Yukihara in the first place).

But the weirdest point with Yukihara and SNA in this very episode was the shield consumption: Ichika used like 190-200+ shield units for a -single- swing against Cecilia. Yet, when the shield meter indicated 60 in this episode, Ichika states he can uses the SNA one last time... huh?
I mean... I don't see how that weapon is working anymore, considering how inconsistent it was portrayed within 2 episodes apart.
And it is maybe not only the weapon alone, but the shield as well: Ichika was left with only 115 shield at most after being blasted by Rin. Yet, he manages to dodge Rin, attack her, struggling with that drone for... 55 shield units at most?
To begin with, I don't get how Rin could deplete so much shield with "only" few attacks and that blast whereas her weapons are of the same generation than Blue Tears, and that Cecilia had to hit Ichika way much more.
Also, I dunno if it is the studio screwing up or not, but twice during this Episode, Byakushiki's blade was without its energy blade for no reason, then on the very next zoom on Ichika, the energy blade is still applied (timeframes: 2:10 then 2:12, 13:39 then 13:41).

At least, plot wise, we have some "interesting" developments, but the execution itself has a lot left to be desired, and if IS battles aren't drawing the best out of this franchise, I can't expect a good overal rating for it in the long run.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-01-28 at 13:00.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 13:20   Link #55
zero7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I just realize only Rin gets a flashback compare of the other two
zero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 14:06   Link #56
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Watching again this episode and reading the actual situation from the LN pretty much confirm this episode only saving grace was the action element in a... "broad" definition.

Not going to repeat people's arguments in full details, but yes, this episode didn't make a lot of sense (be it Rin's attitude, the power up replacing the "ignition boost" idea, "drone being interested in their chat", Houki and Cecilia, etc).
However, I'm more surprised that no one mentioned the issue with Ichika's shield nullification attack (let's use SNA for short).
I must admit that the whole deal with that attack is a bit difficult to take seriously now: I mean, Ichika activated Yukihara 2 right from the bat, so it was a bit... odd to use from the get go (implying you are draining yourself quite early for no damn good reason).
That said, for sake of argument, let's assume that activating Yukihara energy blade doesn't mean you are using the SNA, then I question how come he suddenly used that against Cecilia in Episode 2 without knowing (despite he had to activate Yukihara in the first place).
Instinct? Didn't they mention some kind of telepathic link between the pilot and the suit that'd let the pilot know roughly how to work it?

Quote:
But the weirdest point with Yukihara and SNA in this very episode was the shield consumption: Ichika used like 190-200+ shield units for a -single- swing against Cecilia. Yet, when the shield meter indicated 60 in this episode, Ichika states he can uses the SNA one last time... huh?
I mean... I don't see how that weapon is working anymore, considering how inconsistent it was portrayed within 2 episodes apart.
Maybe between the first time he (accidentally) used it and now, he learnt to regulate the consumption and use smaller strikes.

Quote:
And it is maybe not only the weapon alone, but the shield as well: Ichika was left with only 115 shield at most after being blasted by Rin. Yet, he manages to dodge Rin, attack her, struggling with that drone for... 55 shield units at most?
The first was a solid hit. After that there were only grazes?

Quote:
To begin with, I don't get how Rin could deplete so much shield with "only" few attacks and that blast whereas her weapons are of the same generation than Blue Tears, and that Cecilia had to hit Ichika way much more.
Trade off between power and rate of fire? Cecilia's got a bajillion beams to Rin's two. Cecilia may also have an edge in range and accuracy.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 14:12   Link #57
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Orlando
Chifuyu will win the 'Oneechan' Award this year, I know it. And that deep voice of hers....
__________________
"Focus entirely on me, you ordinary soldier."
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 14:21   Link #58
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Instinct? Didn't they mention some kind of telepathic link between the pilot and the suit that'd let the pilot know roughly how to work it?
Then, Byakushiki definitely didn't do a good job as a machine: If the AI is responding to the pilot needs, it should have a rought approximation when the shield would depletes.
If The SNA was activated upon instinctive activation, it seriously doesn't make it any better to be honest.
Quote:
Maybe between the first time he (accidentally) used it and now, he learnt to regulate the consumption and use smaller strikes.
Except that that SNA swing back in Episode 2 was performed quite at close range. Considering the distance Ichika was covering while attacking, I can't believe he could cut the consumption below 30% of what he originally used.
I honestly would have preferred consistent explanations instead of random shield energy numbers thrown at us.
Quote:
The first was a solid hit. After that there were only grazes?
That straight punch at him doesn't look like a "graze" to me. Considering how that drone was giving them hard time, I doubt he could get away with grazes only, especially how he got a direct hit at least once.
Quote:
Trade off between power and rate of fire? Cecilia's got a bajillion beams to Rin's two. Cecilia may also have an edge in range and accuracy.
Rin's IS is melee specialized. I can't believe a melee IS would have a much stronger firepower than Cecilia's being a ranged only machine.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 14:37   Link #59
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
guys...

ANYONE WHO FINDS CHIFUYU BLUSHING AN EPIC WIN SAY I.
Aye. I think I spelled it wrong, so let me try again... I.

__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 14:56   Link #60
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I'm wondering if Ichka's I.S. is Chifuyu's former I.S. That could explain how they got a personalised unit for him so quickly.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.