AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 48 36.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 35.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 20.61%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 4.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.76%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-28, 13:54   Link #121
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Exactly. The reason Madoka felt so miserable and guilty in this episode is that she is aware it should be possible to bring Mami back to life (Kyubey clearly told her he can make any kind of miracles happen), but chooses not to because she's scared. I don't think this needs to be spelled out to us. The implication seen in the episode are enough. Take the scene at Mami's apartment for example: Madoka breaks down into tears and asks for Mami's forgiveness for being weak. "Weak" meaning she doesn't have the resolve and courage to become a magical girl, and therefore can't do anything for Mami.

Incidentally, the very reason she didn't ask Kyubey if it is possible to bring Mami back to life is that she's afraid of the answer. She would feel even more terrible if she knew for sure she could wish her back, but was too scared to do so.
Alternative explanation: She apologizes for being too weak, because she doesn't have the resolve to follow through on her earlier promise to be a magical girl solely to help people. In essence, she talked big to Mami, but realizes she can't follow through. Whether or not she was even considering wishing Mami back wasn't stated.

As I said previously, you can't infer something that wasn't stated.

In actuality, wishing Mami back would work for Madoka. It would alleviate her guilt over not becoming a magical girl earlier, and would be able to then protect Mami by fighting by her side from then on, helping people.

My theory is just as valid as any stated here.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 13:59   Link #122
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
WOW. Awesome episode it deserves a 10. But man Kyubey was so damn bad or good. I can't tell much. He just pops up when Sayaka needed him most. Like he already knew what will happen.

Then another mahou shoujo shows up to set more trouble.

I really can't view this anime as a mahou shoujo show. It doesn't show your conventional magical girl.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 14:26   Link #123
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
In actuality, wishing Mami back would work for Madoka. It would alleviate her guilt over not becoming a magical girl earlier, and would be able to then protect Mami by fighting by her side from then on, helping people.
But she doesn't want to be a magical girl, despite her guilt. That's the whole point of this episode - she got a taste of reality of being a magical girl, and finds herself unable to face it. Regardless of it having a chance of bringing Mami back, her current fear of being a magical girl is stronger. This episode was all about Mami, not other people - Madoka crying while thinking of Mami, visiting her empty apartment, discussing the fate of magical girls, her thoughts are focused on mami. And yet, there is no reason for her to ask the direct question of "Can i revive Mami" - because the answer serves her no purpose in present point in time.

Her overriding emotion is not wanting to be a magical girl, not bringing back Mami to life. The later would require the former, and that's a step she isn't ready to take. People don't actively seek out things to make themselves more miserable, and she is feeling miserable enough without a vocal confirmation of "Yes, you could bring her back, if only you had the courage to sign on the dotted line over here ...". Why would she want to hear that ? Like Kanon says, not asking said question is a way to feel slightly less miserable, because becoming a magical girl is out of the question at the time for Madoka. We don't need everything blatantly spelled out, the show's writing is a bit better than that thus far. If anything, i would say asking said question would go against the very thing this episode was establishing with Madoka - her fear of being a magical girl.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 14:40   Link #124
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
But she doesn't want to be a magical girl, despite her guilt. That's the whole point of this episode - she got a taste of reality of being a magical girl, and finds herself unable to face it. Regardless of it having a chance of bringing Mami back, her current fear of being a magical girl is stronger. This episode was all about Mami, not other people - Madoka crying while thinking of Mami, visiting her empty apartment, discussing the fate of magical girls, her thoughts are focused on mami. And yet, there is no reason for her to ask the direct question of "Can i revive Mami" - because the answer serves her no purpose in present point in time.

Her overriding emotion is not wanting to be a magical girl, not bringing back Mami to life. The later would require the former, and that's a step she isn't ready to take. People don't actively seek out things to make themselves more miserable, and she is feeling miserable enough without a vocal confirmation of "Yes, you could bring her back, if only you had the courage to sign on the dotted line over here ...". Why would she want to hear that ? Like Kanon says, not asking said question is a way to feel slightly less miserable, because becoming a magical girl is out of the question at the time for Madoka. We don't need everything blatantly spelled out, the show's writing is a bit better than that thus far. If anything, i would say asking said question would go against the very thing this episode was establishing with Madoka - her fear of being a magical girl.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I agree with you that is one possible interpretation... But it needs to be said and shown.

You can just pretend to see things that might not be there. That's called: "jumping to a conclusion" and I trust I don't need to tell you why that's bad.

As I said, my interpretation is just as valid.

I'll also redirect you once more to The Neverending Story 2 and 3.

Edit: I'll take this reasoning farther: If Madoka can't make the choice to revive Mami and be a magical girl, then she's not qualified to be the great magical girl everyone here thinks she is. Hell, Sayaka is more qualified to be a magical girl, then, taking up the mantle to protect other people, using her wish to help someone at the same time, with the full knowledge of what's at stake.

Sayaka > Madoka, if your reasoning holds true.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 14:44   Link #125
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I agree with you that is one possible interpretation... But it needs to be said and shown.
And that's where we are going to disagree, i believe the episode showed things clearly enough to deduct why Madoka didn't ask that question. Not everything needs to be "said and shown" to infer the meaning behind it.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 14:59   Link #126
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
And that's where we are going to disagree, i believe the episode showed things clearly enough to deduct why Madoka didn't ask that question. Not everything needs to be "said and shown" to infer the meaning behind it.
I guess we will have to disagree. Because from where I'm standing, you're saying, "Of course Custer knows that he's up against odds that will most likely kill him. It doesn't need to be shown!"

The danger with that line of thought, is that you could be shown to be wrong.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 15:17   Link #127
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Edit: I'll take this reasoning farther: If Madoka can't make the choice to revive Mami and be a magical girl, then she's not qualified to be the great magical girl everyone here thinks she is.
I've been listening to the to and fro quietly for a while, and I agree that you've got the right to stick to your interpretation as a valid theory. But you're WAY overplaying your hand here.

The very thought that it would be the the task or even the duty of magical girls to go around reviving people is absurd. To offer an analogy: You meet someone who happens to be a heroin addict. You spend time together and become close friends. And then you find out that your friend is about to die - unless you become a heroin addict yourself.

So, what now? Will you do it? Do you have the obligation to ruin your own life for the sake of someone else? Even if you know that it will cause tremendous hardship and will eventually kill you, most likely?

There is no such obligation, like you make it sound.

Quote:
Hell, Sayaka is more qualified to be a magical girl, then, taking up the mantle to protect other people, using her wish to help someone at the same time, with the full knowledge of what's at stake.
Full knowledge of what's at stake? At the moment of flared-up emotions when her loved one had a breakdown? Really? I feel that we haven't even started to glimpse at "what's at stake" - the rules of the contract. I expect that Sayaka's lack of knowledge will kill her right after she realizes how she _is_ going to regret what he did.

Quote:
Sayaka > Madoka, if your reasoning holds true.
Sayaka is a well-meaning girl with a caring disposition. She's self-aware enough that her desire to see Kamijo healed is born out of a desire to BE WITH HIM, and so, her wish isn't at all that pure, since it's got a selfish core. Likewise, her admiration of Mami always had a bit of a "fan of a sports star" element to me. She thought that what Mami did was cool, and she'd enjoy being like that, too.

Madoka's ideals are much more pure, by comparison. Her wish to help people, to protect them from harm, is genuinely selfless in nature. She couldn't even come up with a wish for herself in ep3 - she merely wanted to be useful to people. In ep4 she even courageously did that without being a MG in the first place, when she interfered with the ritualized suicide. You do see the difference between Sayaka and Mami, right?

My theory is that the whole overarching theme of the show will be that Madoka's ideals are what really makes MGs powerful, and that the Sayaka type does exactly what Homura described with some scorn: In the end, they're not fighting for what's "good", they're fighting for themselves and their own wishes. I expect this to be why Sayaka is going to bite the bucket and Madoka is eventually going to make the difference.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 15:28   Link #128
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I've been listening to the to and fro quietly for a while, and I agree that you've got the right to stick to your interpretation as a valid theory. But you're WAY overplaying your hand here.

The very thought that it would be the the task or even the duty of magical girls to go around reviving people is absurd. To offer an analogy: You meet someone who happens to be a heroin addict. You spend time together and become close friends. And then you find out that your friend is about to die - unless you become a heroin addict yourself.

So, what now? Will you do it? Do you have the obligation to ruin your own life for the sake of someone else? Even if you know that it will cause tremendous hardship and will eventually kill you, most likely?

There is no such obligation, like you make it sound.
I'd say your analogy is false; being an MG is not much like a heroin addict. Being an MG is more like becoming a soldier, fighting to save the lives of others. A heroin addict saves no one, and does no one any good. Being an MG does.

Also, I never said potential MG's should go around reviving anyone... only that in this case, it's blatantly obvious that the idea of using a wish to revive someone is something that should be brought up, even if only as a thought. Even if Madoka only thinks, "What if... what if with my wish I could... Mami..." and then proceeds to hug herself into a ball, being too afraid to continue it. It would at least show it has crossed her mind.

That's all I ask.

Quote:
Full knowledge of what's at stake? At the moment of flared-up emotions when her loved one had a breakdown? Really? I feel that we haven't even started to glimpse at "what's at stake" - the rules of the contract. I expect that Sayaka's lack of knowledge will kill her right after she realizes how she _is_ going to regret what he did.
I'd say watching Mami die, complete with the multitude of discussions earlier about what being an MG entails (you fight until you die), gives her full knowledge of what's at stake. Maybe she'll regret it, and maybe she won't. We'll see. But she did make a wish to help someone, knowing that she'll be doomed to fight as a MG until she dies, and knowing that death could come at any time. And possibly she won't be able to be with Kamijo.

Quote:
Sayaka is a well-meaning girl with a caring disposition. She's self-aware enough that her desire to see Kamijo healed is born out of a desire to BE WITH HIM, and so, her wish isn't at all that pure, since it's got a selfish core. Likewise, her admiration of Mami always had a bit of a "fan of a sports star" element to me. She thought that what Mami did was cool, and she'd enjoy being like that, too.
Um, everyone makes selfish decisions. I could go into the "There's no such thing as altruism" shtick, but suffice it to say, even Madoka's wish was partly selfish. She never felt that useful or talented, so just becoming a magical girl to help someone was partly born of a desire to feel better about herself.

So you have Sayaka making a wish to make herself feel better.
And you have Madoka making a wish to make herself feel better.

Both technically "selfish" and thus, what's the difference? How is Madoka supposed to be any better?

If Sayaka had made the wish to have Kamijou like her, that would have been selfish. Instead, she wished that his hand would be healed so that he could play again. Perhaps Kamijou simply decides to go off and play, thus leaving Sayaka alone. She'd be sad, but she'd still say, "I don't regret it" because she made Kamijou happy.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 15:35   Link #129
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Madoka's ideals are much more pure, by comparison. Her wish to help people, to protect them from harm, is genuinely selfless in nature. She couldn't even come up with a wish for herself in ep3 - she merely wanted to be useful to people.
I disagree. Madoka's wish seemed selfless, but it was no really that different from Sayaka's. "Wanting to help people" and "wanting to be someone special who can help people" are no the same thing. Madoka's wish, at least till episode 3, was the latter. She sees herself as useless and talentless, and so when she saw how cool Mami was she wanted to be like her. She states so herself, so the wish was not really altruistict...

EDIT: some of Madoka's lines about her wish:

"I'm slow and there isn't really anything good about me. So if I could be cool and wonderful like Mami, what would make me happy"

"If even I can help people and be proud of that that's the best wish I could have"

Ultimately, it's clear Madoka's wish comes from an inferiority complex. Hence why the prospect of being someone who can help others excited her so much.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 15:49   Link #130
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
While I suppose it's a bit irrelevant at this point since it's not coming up in the show yet, I get the impression that wishing Mami back to life would be impossible because Mami's own wish was for her to live. Since she broke her contract by dying, her wish vanishes too, which means she has an "unwish" to be dead. Thus, wishing her back to life would be mutually exclusive with the terms of her agreement.

Narratively the point of this would be twofold. First, give a reason to keep the mentor character dead. Secondly, and more importantly, to not show us the consequences of a MG failing to protect their wish quite so early. Thus, it'll be more dramatic when Sayaka dies (or even simply loses, not sure how that works) and something horrible happens to Kamijo as a consequence. Which further serves to explain why all the other MGs (represented by Kyoko) are so desperate and ruthless to keep fighting.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 15:55   Link #131
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Please don't get this wrong, but I have the feeling that you won't enjoy the show very much. You seem to completely ignore the myriads of warning signs, and I'm not sure if you're rather willfully ignoring them or just are unable to spot them... *shrugs helplessly*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I'd say your analogy is false; being an MG is not much like a heroin addict. Being an MG is more like becoming a soldier, fighting to save the lives of others. A heroin addict saves no one, and does no one any good. Being an MG does.
You're missing the point. Becoming a MG is a DEATH SENTENCE. This has been nailed into our heads time and time again. "You will lose everything that's dear to you" is what Homura said. You won't be able to turn back. The only question is WHEN you're going to die. Not if.

I have the feeling that you're thinking in the world of Nanoha, but this world doesn't belong here. She's not going to be a soldier (who fights alongside comrades against others). It's clear that being a MG is a lonely, isolating experience.

Quote:
Also, I never said potential MG's should go around reviving anyone... only that in this case, it's blatantly obvious that the idea of using a wish to revive someone is something that should be brought up, even if only as a thought. Even if Madoka only thinks, "What if... what if with my wish I could... Mami..." and then proceeds to hug herself into a ball, being too afraid to continue it. It would at least show it has crossed her mind.

That's all I ask.
I took her "I'm sorry, Mami" as that. I thought it was obvious enough, but I see your point that it wasn't directly spelled out.

Anyway, you are completely underestimating the impact of taking the plunge. This is not "I enlist to the Nanoha Marines", this is "I'm willingly screwing up me and my life because I feel that this is what I'm destined to do".

Quote:
Um, everyone makes selfish decisions. I could go into the "There's no such thing as altruism" shtick, but suffice it to say, even Madoka's wish was partly selfish. She never felt that useful or talented, so just becoming a magical girl to help someone was partly born of a desire to feel better about herself.
That's a pretty cynical way to look at it. Which normally would play exceptionally well with Urobuchi Gen, but I think you're on the wrong track here. I don't see this kind of self-loving vanity in Madoka at all. She said that by becoming a MG she might be able to be useful to others. That's her focus. For Sayaka, it's a means to an end.

Quote:
If Sayaka had made the wish to have Kamijou like her, that would have been selfish. Instead, she wished that his hand would be healed so that he could play again. Perhaps Kamijou simply decides to go off and play, thus leaving Sayaka alone. She'd be sad, but she'd still say, "I don't regret it" because she made Kamijou happy.
And you honestly can't see that she only WORDED the wish wrong? And that she's going to regret it tremendously? Hell, Sayaka even spelled it out in the beginning: "I'm a bad girl" for wishing to be with him being the CORE of her efforts. How can you ignore that?

Sorry, I honestly feel you're trying hard to make this anime fit into some preconceived ideas from other Mahou Shoujo shows, while ignoring tons of warnings. That's not going to be very pleasant to watch...
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 15:57   Link #132
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
While I suppose it's a bit irrelevant at this point since it's not coming up in the show yet, I get the impression that wishing Mami back to life would be impossible because Mami's own wish was for her to live. Since she broke her contract by dying, her wish vanishes too, which means she has an "unwish" to be dead. Thus, wishing her back to life would be mutually exclusive with the terms of her agreement.

Narratively the point of this would be twofold. First, give a reason to keep the mentor character dead. Secondly, and more importantly, to not show us the consequences of a MG failing to protect their wish quite so early. Thus, it'll be more dramatic when Sayaka dies (or even simply loses, not sure how that works) and something horrible happens to Kamijo as a consequence. Which further serves to explain why all the other MGs (represented by Kyoko) are so desperate and ruthless to keep fighting.
This could be true. But if I were in Madoka's position, I'd at least wonder if it was possible, even if it wasn't for whatever reason the writers want to use.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 16:05   Link #133
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
"I'm slow and there isn't really anything good about me. So if I could be cool and wonderful like Mami, what would make me happy"

"If even I can help people and be proud of that that's the best wish I could have"
In other words, being a MG would _enable_ her to do what she truly wants to do: BE USEFUL TO OTHERS.

Quote:
Ultimately, it's clear Madoka's wish comes from an inferiority complex. Hence why the prospect of being someone who can help others excited her so much.
I see the point you and Kaijo are trying to make, but I really disagree. Sayaka's primary wish is to help the boy she loves because she wants to be with him. If she can save her friends and do good while at it, peachy.

Madoka does NOT intend to do anything for her own gain - unless you feel that giving herself the confidence that she CAN be useful to others is already selfish. If you apply such a narrow standard, then you're right: Then it's nearly impossible to find a truly altruistic person.

I guess we'll have to wait and see who's right. My prediction is that this differentation in motive is going to be a very fundamental plot point - THE fundamental plot point of the entire show in fact.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 16:08   Link #134
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
So Mami not revived is no big deal, but i would have thought that maybe Sayaka or Madoka would have asked is they can revive someone with their wish.

So i think Sayaka rushed her wish and should have listened to Mami's advice. Now i think she'll either get killed by a witch, get killed by Kyoko, or turn into a witch and get killed by Kyoko. I think if she turns into a witch its because her wish backfired and Kamijou will forget about her. Kyubey sure has great timing figuring that he left and got a new MS.

I agree with the theory that Madoka knew Homura in the past and was a MS before. I think she is also trying to prevent others from suffering the pain of being a MS. Though i feel sorry for her because she has to deal with it by herself.

Interesting to see what Kyoko's first move will be.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 16:09   Link #135
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Please don't get this wrong, but I have the feeling that you won't enjoy the show very much. You seem to completely ignore the myriads of warning signs, and I'm not sure if you're rather willfully ignoring them or just are unable to spot them... *shrugs helplessly*
Rather arrogant, eh? You're ultimately right because you see everything, and no one else can possibly be wrong? And plot holes are to be ignored because you say so? You might consider something you're missing:

You'd agree that this is a deconstruction of the MG genre, right? Then what makes you think anything is going to go exactly as you predict? If, as you might believe that the very notion of this anime is going to against all preconceived notions, then by that very viewpoint alone, you can't adequately predict.

It's the nature of the human mind to see patterns in chaos, even if such patterns ultimately don't exist. I wouldn't get so caught up in yourself, that you lose sight of the fact that you could be wrong.

Quote:
You're missing the point. Becoming a MG is a DEATH SENTENCE. This has been nailed into our heads time and time again. "You will lose everything that's dear to you" is what Homura said. You won't be able to turn back. The only question is WHEN you're going to die. Not if.
Um, that pretty much describes life in general. Hate to break it to you, but we're all gonna die one day. What matters is not life or death, but how we spend our lives. If someone finds it fulfilling to fight as an MG, then who cares if they die in a two months or two decades?

[quote]That's a pretty cynical way to look at it. Which normally would play exceptionally well with Urobuchi Gen, but I think you're on the wrong track here. I don't see this kind of self-loving vanity in Madoka at all. She said that by becoming a MG she might be able to be useful to others. That's her focus. For Sayaka, it's a means to an end.

Kazu-kun pointed it out clearly above, but you seem to disagree, so let me phrase it somewhat differently:

"I'm nothing, I'm worthless, I can't do anything. I wish I could be a superhero and save people so I could feel good about myself!"

Is that a selfish or selfless wish? (Hint: It's a trick question).

Quote:
And you honestly can't see that she only WORDED the wish wrong? And that she's going to regret it tremendously? Hell, Sayaka even spelled it out in the beginning: "I'm a bad girl" for wishing to be with him being the CORE of her efforts. How can you ignore that?
In case you missed it, I'm not ignoring it. Read my post again, and you'll see I lump Sayaka's wish into as much selfishness as Madoka's. Read Kazu-kun's post again.

Your issue is that you have this construct of the show in your mind. You've made up your mind, decided this is the way the show has to go, and so you're jamming facts around your conclusion, and tossing out ones you don't feel fit. There's a word for people like that. It's how we get our right and left winged pundits like Glenn Beck, continuing a narrative despite what the facts say. And we'll cherry pick out intelligence to support our position.

Ease up, dude, and be a bit more flexible.^^

Quote:
Sorry, I honestly feel you're trying hard to make this anime fit into some preconceived ideas from other Mahou Shoujo shows, while ignoring tons of warnings. That's not going to be very pleasant to watch...
Ironically, you're trying to fit the anime into your own preconceived notions, and somehow it's okay for you, but not for me. There's a word for that. I'd highly suggest you step back and admit, "I could be wrong, I'm just guessing becomes of things that may or may not be significant." There's a lot of people who think 9/11 was a conspiracy or an inside job, too, because they pick up on small details they feel everyone else misses. I'm sure they'd tell you, "How can you miss all the signs, man?"

The main difference between us, is that I'm not making predictions with the viewpoint of "I'm picking up all these signs so this is the way it's going to go." In fact, I'm not really making predictions at all; just tossing out possibilities with the full knowledge that I could be wrong.

My main focus is, and always has been, that I feel the show needs to address something that it has so far failed to address. Whether your predictions or right or not ultimately doesn't matter; good writing demands it be addressed. I take it you haven't watching The Neverending Story 2 or 3, either.

Edit to add one last point: If Madoka's wish to be a useful MG is so selfless, then she wouldn't have backed down from becoming one. The fact that she did, shows that she is more worried about herself, than other people.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 16:13   Link #136
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Madoka does NOT intend to do anything for her own gain - unless you feel that giving herself the confidence that she CAN be useful to others is already selfish.
Self-worth is not something you should look for in an external source. It's definitely not something you should be wishing for. It can only come from yourself. Not only I think is selfish but also a bit unhealthy.

But yeah, let's agree to disagree for now. We'll see what happens.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 16:20   Link #137
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Very good episode. The discussion on it is even better. Another question would be if it is even possible to revive anyone who perished in that world. This episode also empathize with an earlier scene where that cutesy thing was being chased in an attempt to kill it.

Btw, here is an example of inference to a certain meaning: your wifey is talking to you about how the electric bill for this month is so high while sitting on the dining table. She is brainstorming about what measures need to be taken to reduce consumption. You said, "let me see it." Your wife goes to pick "it" up. Mind you on the table there is a small basket of fruits, a pen, a checkbook, a harmonica, and today's mail. The question is, what exactly your wife thinks you want to see when you stated, "let me see it?"

I think most of us would answer: the mail with the electric bill on it. Yeah, its possible the husband probably wanted the harmonica to play a tune, or perhaps a piece of fruit from the basket because he did not specifically stated about what he wants. Given the discussion at hand the wifey was trying to have with the husband, however, the most obvious deduction would be he was asking for that electric bill.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 16:35   Link #138
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I got it. That's why Urobuchi has Madoka going to the rescue as a normal human in this episode. It's to build confidence!!

Madoka's wish until episode 3 was wrong. It was basically a wish for self-worth, and like I said before, that's not something you should look for in an external source, it's not something you should wish for. You have to build your confidence on your own, no magic wand.

When Madoka realizes she doesn't need magic to be useful, it'll mean she's ready to be a magical girl. Only then her wish can be truly selfless.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 16:36   Link #139
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
I was thinking about what 'Sayaka and Madoka's divided paths mean. Now it is pretty much clear that Sayaka will face endless despair through her entire journey towards the death.

Madoka was crying during the entire episode, but that also means that she 'accepted the reality'. She knows how cruel being mahou shoujo is, and decided to follow her rational judgement. However, Sayaka was 'escaping' from this truth. She did not want to talk about Mami's death when Madoka asked at first. She was also pretending to be cheerful and Madoka could not hide her feeling. That's the difference between them.

and Sayaka's wish... was not truthful. What she truly wants is 'NOT' curing Kamijou. Her true wish is 'Kamijou playing violin for HER'. We all remember how Mami said, 'think careful when you choose wish, it has to come from your heart'. Sayaka's wish WASN'T. She denied her inner desire and decided to ignore the situation. What will happen to Kamijou? Before the accident, him and Sayaka's relationship had absolutely nothing. Sayaka was Kamijou's mere audience, and that was the reality. Due to the accident, now Sayaka finally had the upper hand, and inner-self of her was actually happy that she can meet him personally. After the cure, Kamijou will go back to his usual-self as a prodigious performer, Sayaka will be 'FORGOTTEN', just like Mami was. With this endless despair, Sayaka will have to risk her life against witches or Kyoko.

"there are magic and miracle. But there are also reality"
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 16:40   Link #140
Spinell
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Well, unlike most people I think that Sayaka can life to the end of the series. She got a thought line referring to future events (like Madoka did).
Might it be that Homura wants to prevent new Magical Girls being created. She looked rather suprised that Sayaka became a Puella Magi. Whatever methods she has to know so much (about Madoka and her school and Mami's situation) it didn't seem to include the knowledge of Sayaka contract.
Spinell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.