AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-29, 22:34   Link #181
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Do you really see Sayaka being able to kick Kyoko's ass at this time?
good point...maybe she was just talking about her wish.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 23:50   Link #182
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 29
I doubt Sayaka has it in her to commit murder.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 08:49   Link #183
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
even if that's the case, having madoka seeing her friend committing murder would be awesome in creating mental breakdown.

either way, the title is quite ominous no matter how you look at it.
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 12:16   Link #184
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: London, UK
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Do you really see Sayaka being able to kick Kyoko's ass at this time?
What if Kyoko is not directly after Sayaka but instead targets those who are precious to her? Could be a way to drive Sayaka towards a certain tragic path (and it would also make sense if she would later become a witch, if that old theory about her being the witch in EP1 dream turns out to be true).
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 13:54   Link #185
Jimmy C
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Such a strategy is a waste of time and magic for Kyoko. She's strong enough to take out Sayaka quickly and directly (in her opinion). You use such indirect means against a stronger opponent.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 14:45   Link #186
RedWing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
The best thing about the show currently is that almost anything they choose to do next episode will be very good.

1. Kyoko murders/seriously injures Sayaka (forcing Madoka to make a choice of whether to see another friend die or join the fight) = Great (and my personal opinion of what will happen)
2. Sayaka murders Kyoko = Great if done gruesomely but unlikely
3. Sayaka is rebuffed by the guy (and because all anime girls need a good man to keep them nice and sane) will be overcome by grief and will turn to witch = Good
4. 3 way battle between Sayaka, Homerun and Kyoko - Homerun is trying to help but is not wanted by Sayaka - Kyoko is eventually beaten so takes Madoka hostage forcing Madoka to join the battle. = OK if battle scenes are done well

Bad scenarios:
Everything turns out good
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 15:14   Link #187
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Such a strategy is a waste of time and magic for Kyoko. She's strong enough to take out Sayaka quickly and directly (in her opinion). You use such indirect means against a stronger opponent.
Unless, of course, she's the type of person who likes using indirect methods, being a bit sadistic in nature. But yeah, I'd lay odds she'll go more directly. Sayaka may be inexperienced, but she took out that witch fairly easily, so it might come down to how their powers match up. Sayaka moving incredibly fast and wielding a sharp sword, is a fairly nasty ability to deal with.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 15:49   Link #188
Tenjo_Utena
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
The best thing about the show currently is that almost anything they choose to do next episode will be very good.
I disagree, the best thing about Madoka Magica is that it hasn't ended yet, and so we can freely speculate on what things mean and how everything will come to an end.

And with that said, here are some of my own speculations/favorite theories from others.

* Kyube is not evil. He is simply a single minded creature responsible for "making" Magical Girls. To that effect is is opportunistic and manipulative. He is not above stalking a girl waiting for her to be weak and vulnerable to his offer - or leading her into a witches maze, telling her the only way to save herself is to make a contract with him.

* Soul Gems are the source of a MG's power, but also their very life energy. They draw upon the soul gem to create the magic they use when fighting witches, the greater the magical power the greater the drain. This creates a constant give and take between drawing out too much power and potentially killing yourself, or not drawing enough power and being killed.

Some MG's might revel in their abilities, draining them faster than necessary, making them more territorial as a result.



I seriously hope that the 'sayaka becomes a witch' and the whole 'time warp/world reset' theories turn out to be bogus. Not that I dislike the theories or argue that they aren't interesting. I just hope that the series is not quite that convoluted. Everything we've seen of this show so far has demonstrated that even tweeking minor details like making the mascot sinister can have a big impact on the story - this show doesn't have to twist logic to be good.

Quote:
What's with the blue&green bottles....? shouldn't the man in the factory use the fatal one (the green bottle) instead of using both of 'em at once....this what Madoka's mom said.
I found this on the interwebs.

Quote:
In an attempt to clean stubborn stains, some people have resorted to mixing chemicals, thinking the combination would clean even better, but instead, releasing toxic gasses into the air which can kill. Mixing bleach with toilet bowl cleaner is one example, which produces a deadly chlorine gas. Mixing bleach with ammonia products can release both monochloramine and dichloramine, or deadly chloramine gas. These gasses are invisible and most arenít noticed by smell, since the products they are combining already have a strong odor. Because of their chemical reactions, never mix bleach with ammonia, metal tarnish cleaners with bleach or ammonia, bleach with fabric or carpet spot removers, ammonia or bleach with jewelry cleaners, ammonia with dishwasher detergents or ammonia with other swimming pool products.

When doing ordinary household chores, using strong chemicals, or mixing any chemicals together, make sure there is plenty of ventilation, even if it means brining a fan to the room while you clean. Above all, read every product label, particularly any warning announcements printed on the label.

The bottles are labeled. People just don't usually bother to read them. Hell I cleaned my bathroom with some cleaner one day (using a washcloth) and then when I finished, I read the bottle and it said to wear rubber gloves "DO NOT GET ON SKIN". Scary.
Tenjo_Utena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 16:00   Link #189
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenjo_Utena View Post
I just hope that the series is not quite that convoluted. Everything we've seen of this show so far has demonstrated that even tweeking minor details like making the mascot sinister can have a big impact on the story - this show doesn't have to twist logic to be good.
Putting my own theories about the series aside, I just wanna say that having Kyubey being the true antagonist or Sayaka becoming a witch would in no way "twist the logic" of the show. Both are pretty good possibilities, and the show could naturally lead to such an outcome with ease.

Again, I'm not saying that's what's going to happen. I don't known what's going to happen. I'm just saying it's a perfectly logical outcome.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-01-30 at 16:52.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 17:24   Link #190
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Putting my own theories about the series aside, I just wanna say that having Kyubey being the true antagonist or Sayaka becoming a witch would in no way "twist the logic" of the show. Both are pretty good possibilities, and the show could naturally lead to such an outcome with ease.

Again, I'm not saying that's what's going to happen. I don't known what's going to happen. I'm just saying it's a perfectly logical outcome.
I wouldn't say that adding those elements would necessarily "twist logic", but they could create a greater chance of plot holes arising.

Basically, the more plot complexity a story has, the greater the likelihood that the writer of the story will write himself into a plot hole that he fails to notice (but that fans do notice).

If magical girls can become witches, that raises some questions in the minds of fans:

1. Where did the first witch come from, then?

2. If the first witch came from a magical girl, then why was that magical girl ever created if there was no witches for her to fight?


Now, the anime might answer such questions logically by fleshing out Madoka's world a bit more, but it could also drop the ball and fail to answer them compellingly, creating plot holes.

If Madoka Magica's plot is more straightforward than that (magical girls can't become witches, they just fight them, as the two sides exist independently from one another), then questions like the two above cease to be issues. The possibility of the plot becoming overly convoluted (re: suffering from plot holes) is greatly lessened. In fact, I'd say that a good aim for any writer is to make your plot complex enough that it isn't overly basic and/or predictable, but also to make it simple enough that you don't write yourself into a plot hole. In other words, a balance probably should be aimed for here.


Likewise, if Kyubey is revealed as a villainous character, then the anime will need to flesh him out more as well, or risk character inconsistency. If he's just a magical girl contractor with an one-track mind, then we already know all that we need to know about him.


So, all of the above being said, I see where Tenjo_Utena is coming from.


The more twists a show has, the bigger the risk of plot holes arising. Eventually, this often will catch up to writers. The perfect example is Code Geass R2 and its incredible number of episode cliffhangers combined with plot twists (which many people felt hurt it).
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 17:30   Link #191
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I think Kyube is evil and has another form >.>
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 17:35   Link #192
choopo
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
next week witch have twins tail on it ?


choopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 17:40   Link #193
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
or that might be ep.4 witch when she was still human...but thats just my guess...
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 17:41   Link #194
Genten
has a custom user title
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In a Mitten
Age: 20
I was bored a few days ago and decided to do some general analysis on the characters of Madoka Magica. So I decided to compare their weapons to their personalities. I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, though.

Madoka: Madoka's weapon, although it has not been used in canon yet, is an arrow and bow. She is the archer. The bow and arrow is a long range weapon: you won't get a lot of use out of it if you use it in close combat. Thus the weapon distances her from her enemies. It represents her resistance to make decisions because, as the weapon distances her from battles, she is distanced from her problems. In a more negative light it could be seen as a symbol of her cowardice, an unwillingness to get close to any potentially dangerous situation.

Sayaka: Sayaka's weapon is a sword (and a bat, if you count the weapon she brought along in episode 2). It is a very personal and close combat weapon: it forces you to get close to your enemies to deal any damage. It requires the least amount of planning: one doesn't make think through all of their moves in the heat of battle. It represents Sayaka's recklessness, her becoming a Puella Magi in the heat of the moment. It could also represent a fragility: missing an opponent is very easy and could lead to a fatal mistake.

Mami: Mami's weapon is the gun. It can be both a close combat or long distance weapon. It is very versatile. Unlike the sword, which is a personal close combat weapon, the gun is very impersonal at a close range. Unlike the bow and arrow, the gun requires becoming involved in battle to get the most use out of it. The gun represents Mami's calculating and distant personality. She may seem friendly but she purposefully pushes herself away from others and carefully plans her moves. At the same time, it represents her willingness to comply to the orders of others. Under Kyubey's orders she is nice to new recruits but cold and distant to a supposed enemy. She is the middle between the two extremes.

Now I only wish we knew what Homura's weapon was.
__________________
Next sig is gonna have Mikado in it. Count on it.
Genten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 17:42   Link #195
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Likewise, if Kyubey is revealed as a villainous character, then the anime will need to flesh him out more as well, or risk character inconsistency. If he's just a magical girl contractor with an one-track mind, then we already know all that we need to know about him.
You're thinking backwards. If Kyubey is revealed to be the antagonist or Sayaka becomes a witch, it's because the writer aimed for that from the start (or at least it should be that way) and so he's already prepared to answer whatever question arise.

Anyway, Tenjo_Utena said this outcome would mess the logic of the show. IMO, that's just not true. We're at episode 4. There's plenty of time to answer questions and even to bring up new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
Now I only wish we knew what Homura's weapon was.
She's an archer like Madoka. This was revealed in the official website.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-01-30 at 18:39.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 19:11   Link #196
brutalman
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
She's an archer like Madoka. This was revealed in the official website.
But so far in the anime she's always been seen with a shield. That could be an indication of her having a defensive style - her technique in episode 3 required the witch to attack her to swallow the bombs.
brutalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 20:17   Link #197
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Dunno if this theory has been posted before, but could it be that maintaining the contract wish is what gradually drains the Soul Gem's energy? IIRC, Homura (or Mami) mentioned that it is necessary to fight witches in order to keep the wish working; is it because MGs must loot Grief Seeds in order to replenish their constantly fading Soul Gem?

If so, it would make sense for it to be impossible to wish all witches away, because that would mean no more pots can be obtained to upkeep that passive wish spell. That's kinda dark... considering that implies MGs would want more witches to exist for them to beat up. Though technically I guess it's still possible to coordinate "internal MP regeneration for all Soul Gems!" and "nuke all witches!" within two wishes and thereby game the system once and for all.

But the fact that QB didn't mention such a thing proves exactly one of two things: either he's evil/amoral/doesn't-give-a-crap for intentionally (or unintentionally, but that would make him the biggest idiot of a stuffed animal I have ever seen) withholding information, or that's an invalid wish.

Personally, I don't think such wishes should be possible either, since a system reaching backwards and meta-editing itself is such a weird concept. It doesn't take a legal document level of comprehensiveness in the rules to know that somethings are just invalid (this is to Kajio, btw ).
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 20:38   Link #198
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Dunno if this theory has been posted before, but could it be that maintaining the contract wish is what gradually drains the Soul Gem's energy? IIRC, Homura (or Mami) mentioned that it is necessary to fight witches in order to keep the wish working; is it because MGs must loot Grief Seeds in order to replenish their constantly fading Soul Gem?
I don't believe this was mentioned. Grief Seeds just enable their soul gems to keep working; that's all we know so far. What effects it has on the wish itself, is unknown. The only presumption I can make, is that an MG must keep fighting in order to keep the wish in effect.

Why?

Because what reason is there for an MG to fight after she got her wish? There has to be some enforcement of the contract, or Madoka could wish Mami back, and then both of them could just decide to not fight after all. Just don't worry about using magic.

Quote:
Personally, I don't think such wishes should be possible either, since a system reaching backwards and meta-editing itself is such a weird concept. It doesn't take a legal document level of comprehensiveness in the rules to know that somethings are just invalid (this is to Kajio, btw ).
It's the issue with wishes. If you find a genie who will grant you three wishes, what is your first wish? If you didn't say, "Wish for unlimited wishes" then you don't win the prize. Any series worth its salt, will establish the rules of a wish system fairly early; Disney's Aladdin did this with the three rules.

Otherwise, the system would be broken. What's stopping someone from wishing that humans could no longer be affected by witches? Bam, witches still exist, but they can't do any harm. There has to be a reason why this hasn't been done, and I do hope the show addresses it. If the show never does, though, then it's a big Wallbanger, because we're left to assume the wish is possible, it's just that everyone has been too stupid to think of it. All we know is that Kyube hasn't set any parameters on it, other than the sky is the limit, and think hard to make your wish a good one.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 21:04   Link #199
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
who's the twintail girl in the tv?
and who's that smashed pile of flesh (which looks like female) when sayaka defeats the witch?
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 21:05   Link #200
Arkeus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
It's pretty explicit that the 'losing energy' thing is more 'darkness takes root into the magical girl egg' btw.

After all, mami didn't take energy fro mthe grief seed- she gave the darkness from her egg to it.

It's much more likely that the more time pass or the more you use magic and the more tainted you are.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
madoka magica

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.