AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-02, 13:28   Link #1
ReAcrylicMetal

Level E/Mushi-Shi

I've been looking for similar anime/manga for these, but for as long as I've been looking, no one has mentioned any. Any help?

Level E:
Its a series by Togashi Yoshihiro and is surprisingly not as well know as the rest of his work. I've read the manga completely and am devoutly watching the new anime as it airs. I'm looking for a series with a similar main character as Prince Baka, a type who manipulates people in the most extravagant and hilarious ways imaginable.
(If you haven't heard of this series before I highly recommend it)

Mushi-Shi is one of my favorite animes and I've been looking for something similar for awhile but it seems to be pretty unique. It's about a man named Ginko who travels around helping people with strange creatures called mushi. I love everything about this series especially the amusing yet often deep characters, and the concept of there being life that most can't see. I would love anything similar even if its only connected in ways such as characters, concepts, or general plot around travelling.
Old 2011-02-02, 14:11   Link #2
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well the closest show to Mushishi that I've seen is Kino's Journey. It is similar in style and tone and is also about a person who travels the land coming across many strange encounters/adventures. It is also episodic like Mushishi.

A good show, I'd check it out.
Old 2011-02-02, 15:21   Link #3
Reclun
Lithium Flower

I'd have to say Natsume Yuujinchou is closer to Mushishi is atmosphere. (But then again, I have yet to watch Kino's Journey. I might have to now. >_<)
Old 2011-02-02, 16:18   Link #4
ReAcrylicMetal

Thanks, I'll check them out
Old 2011-02-02, 17:00   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Though it looks nothing like Mushi-shi or Natsume, I'm going to nominate Mononoke and its predecessor, the "Bakeneko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. These are collected stories about a medicine seller travelling Japan who is also a demon-slayer. Great story-telling, remarkable graphics, a solid score, and one of the best male seiyuu performances I've heard by Sakurai Takahiro.
Old 2011-02-02, 19:18   Link #6
matrixdutch

Bakemonogatari
Old 2011-02-04, 19:09   Link #7
Niji

Sarai-ya Goyou reminds me a bit of Mushishi. It is slow paced, shows many traditional settings, traditional houses, and art, episodic, somewhat idiosyncratic drawing style, likeable and unique characters. In story it is something entirely different though.

For the concept of seeing things others dont, you could try Moyashimon.

Last edited by Niji; 2011-02-04 at 19:47.
Old 2011-02-04, 20:43   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Now that I've watched Level E, I'll recommend Oh! Edo Rocket. Level E actually makes references to Rocket in a couple of places beyond simply the
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Another comparison to Rocket:
Rocket doesn't have warring alien races; it has an alien criminal being pursued by an alien detective. Like Level E, it's full of references to popular culture.

Another show you might enjoy is Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade, a genre-parody-of-the-week show with some depth.

Tags
anime, level e, manga, mushi-shi, prince baka