AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2009-05-28, 17:30   Link #181
stubby42

Quote:
Very sad to say, you couldn't ask for a worse time to break into the industry than now. You're very likely to end up as a lowly grunt (assuming you get hired in the first place) working at below minimum wages for a very long time.
Honnestly I really dont think much has changed this sort of situation has existed through out the entire media industry (in developed countries) for atleast ten years. The fact is more and more people are applying for media courses at university meaning that competition for jobs has always been very high.

From my experience, if you want to get a film and tv (regardless of wether or not its animation) you have to do an unpaid internship for several months and even then you will only get a production assistants job.

Its also becoming apparant that not only do you need a portfolio of work you also need to have gotten a sizeable audience (e.g youtube videos), people arent exactly looking at that yet but their starting to.

I dont know if anyone remembers the myspace the movie short film? the person that made it was having trouble getting jobs in hollywood, after making that and achieveing god knows how many views it landed him work.

Getting a job in film is tough and you'd better love it or it will chew you out pretty fast.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 10:51   Link #182
wao
OK.

You guys might be interested in reading what one English-speaking animator with lots of experience in the Japanese industry has to say about that recent JAniCA survey news going around...

Basically the survey was, according to her, sort of self-selecting and not that representative of animator wages.

I'm not doubting that pay is pretty crap anyway, going by the numerous other statements and advice I've read regarding getting into commercial animation in Japan.

But people still do manage to raise families, so if you work hard - and work smart - things could sort themselves out, surely. Making a genuine effort to improve your skills even when it seems like you've reached a plateau would help, for one.
Old 2011-02-06, 22:03   Link #183
exeplez

Wow the amount of paycheck sounds really depressing despite seeing the industry having upgrades and innovations on the animations.

Have to work really hard to come up with many sketches (which leads to longer working hours) to get the "reasonable" amount paid.
exeplez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 06:34   Link #184
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Not to bring back an old topic, but once again the reality of industry wages:

Labor Group: Animators in Their 20s Earn US$11,600 a Year (Updated)
hmm if they are living in a third world country like here in the Philippines, that $11600 a year is a lot, your already rich in here

so i guess the proper question is how much is the cost of living in Japan? and is $11600 dollars enough for them to at least have some savings per month in Japan?
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 15:38   Link #185
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
so i guess the proper question is how much is the cost of living in Japan? and is $11600 dollars enough for them to at least have some savings per month in Japan?
Random internet research seems to suggest that the average salary in Japan is around $30,000, so this would be considered a very poor wage. They would make more money if they worked at a fast food restaurant (and probably have better labour conditions too).
Old 2011-02-09, 15:40   Link #186
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

So unless you love the job just that much, it's a pretty bad career path to take right now.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economy, industry