AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-10-23, 08:49   Link #1
xxxxx

torrent storage inquiry

i want to collect and store some torrents to be opened at some future point in time. i mean a lot of torrents, way more than could fit on my hard drive if the files were full.
however, since the torrent defines a field on the hard drive equal to the full file i am concerned that it may be damaging to the hard drive to store the torrents on it. should i store the torrents on a floppy disc or other remote memory storage instead?
xxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 09:46   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I don't think your request is very clear... I'm still not sure what you're getting at and I've read it over and over:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxx
i want to collect and store some torrents to be opened at some future point in time.
OK.. sounds fair enough
Quote:
way more than could fit on my hard drive if the files were full.
That is a lot of torrents. Torrent files are fairly small normally, I believe the torrents on ScaryWater only occupy around 50/60 Mb... You must have a small hard drive? Unless I'm not understanding you: what do you man by "if the files were full"; are you talking about the files you download using the torrents -- in which case you want to store the data not the torrents, a much harder prospect.
Quote:
however, since the torrent defines a field on the hard drive equal to the full file
err, can you re-phrase that... I don't understand what you mean. The torrent is just a "signature" (for want of a better word) of the content it refers to; meta-information about the files you want to download; it doesn't define anything on the hard disk; yes it suggests a file name, but that is only for convenience really.
Quote:
i am concerned that it may be damaging to the hard drive to store the torrents on it.
No more than it would to store any other file... like a text file or the programs you use to run your computer... they are all files.
Quote:
should i store the torrents on a floppy disc or other remote memory storage instead?
If your hard disk can't cope with the number of torrents you want to keep, a floppy isn't going to. That or you'll need a lot of floppy disks! Still I can't really answer the question as I don't understand the requirement behind it...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 11:20   Link #3
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

I'm not to certain about what he wants either...but one thing i "think" i understood is that when he said "however, since the torrent defines a field on the hard drive equal to the full file" I think he's refering to when you run the torrent and it allocates the file on the hd...

but i dont know why he's worried about that since you DO NOT have to allocate the file at all unless you're ready to d/l the torrent...

as NightWish said...the .torrent files are all very small (some bigger but i have yet to see a torrent that i d/led go over 200kbs) so saving just the .torrent files is no problem at all...just don't start the d/l until your ready

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"®

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote