AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 96 56.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 33.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 5.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 3.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-02-11, 05:58   Link #221
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Kyuubey is Hitler in anime. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- I feel sad for those girls.
__________________
Traveler on Revenge / Ahelo Sigs / Saimoe Report! Signature by ganbaru
ahelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 05:58   Link #222
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Mahou Liches Madoka Magica

On the brighter side , I wonder why no one has yet parodied this meme , given the revelations of this episode , and the similarities between Puella Magi and Liches.


For those not in the know , this was a meme entitled the Cutest Protoss Zealot Ever, about a character called Tenshi/Kanadae from Angel Beats. FYI , Protoss were a species in Blizzard's starcraft

Edit : I'm not sure whether this was the original source of the meme , but here goes
http://sonohara.donmai.us/post/show/...chool_uniform-

Given that Puella Magi's bears so much similarities to Liches , perhaps we should take a shot of some of the Puella Magi , add Warcraft style Lich or Death Knight Eyes to them , and put it up , entitling it : The Cutest Liches Ever . I would do it, if I had the photoshopping skills for it. Alas , I don't .

Oh , and give Sayaka a Runeblade

Anime has already parodied Starcraft. It's only fitting that its' cousin Warcraft should also be parodied .

Anyone feel like taking up this challenge?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 06:00   Link #223
Vanish
Science Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere.
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Or humaru just wanted to destroy his current body and knew how to do that. Having already contacted madoka, it's ok now :-(


How Homura knows about the 100 meter limit is questionable but can be explained with Homura being in the MG business for some time now so she must've experienced many different situations, as indicated by herself in episode 5. How Homura knows how to kill Kyubei is beyond me. I think she just tried, without knowing the specifics. But fact is Kyubei can have injuries, that's imo the (only) clue that led to Homura's attack on Kyubei.
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 06:13   Link #224
potchip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
So by becoming a magic girl it's not about just gaining some new powers and responsibilities - in fact the soul becomes detached from the body. The soul gem is some sort of amplifying device where the soul can be used as a power source but at the same time being corrupted easily.

I don't think KB is evil per se. He's just alien, so is the whole mahou shoujo business. It is like how we like to believe our pets behave as if a human child/baby when it may just be a learnt response to humans, KB simply don't have human emotions/values. Interestingly Sayaka could not turn back once she discovered the mahou shoujo world. She seems unable to pretend the witches never existed (as for normal humans). Is that due to influence by Mami, or her sense of duty in exchange for the miracle?

Unexplained is how does one become an eligible mahou shoujo candidate? Does KB play a role there? Surely there must be other candidates who just suddenly started to see witches, and if they do, how can they ignore it? If not, they KB sets in motion a non-reversible train, every time.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 06:30   Link #225
NakkiNyan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I'm not even sure it amplifies anything it just releases the power from the body holding it back. Everything is so open to interpretation that it is just too hard to say for sure.
NakkiNyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 06:35   Link #226
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm glad that you see the Spock analogy as well.
There's no excuse for taking another's life, period.

I'm cold and logical as well. Logic would say, he killed X, albeit in a very "cute" fashion, hence he is evil. Now the problem is, how do we define evil… unfortunately evil has many definitions and some of them are mutually exclusive. If it makes everyone feel better, there is no such thing as not–evil in this world, but since we all tend to do very small evil deeds we like to call ourselves "good"; denial makes living with ourselves and our peers easier. The so called "evil" only exists at the boundary of our ignorance.

The irony in this debate you're having is that your view is more compatible with the religious view, more so then the cold and calculated one. Yes, technically Kyubei hasn't sinned since he isn't aware of his sins (from what we know) or the gravity of his sins. Because he doesn't consciously hurt others (as you say, he just doesn't know better) his actions can't be labeled as sins; just as a child throwing some animal out the window of a building, in a playful fashion, ignorant to the consequences would not have technically sinned. Though mind you, it is a sin if he becomes conscious of it (ie. regret), even if it happened in the past, so even if he's not evil now, he'll technically be evil later…
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 06:53   Link #227
potchip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
A better analogy would be if a lion mauls a person, is the lion evil?

KB is a magical creature not seemingly bound by human morals. He's forming contracts, why though is not revealed yet, and it's not necessarily to protect humans - afterall he could've chosen mahou shoujo's more carefully by personality but obviously he doesn't care.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 06:56   Link #228
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
Blah, I will just stop speculating entirely about this series from now on, since I'm seriously doubting that Urobuchi is much more psychologically distorted than what I eventually thought in 3rd episode, after the last 5 minutes of this episode.

I will just ride his roller-coaster. Which keeps goes down... down... down... down.... down...

...

down until absolute despair. I give up. He wins.
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 07:11   Link #229
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
down until absolute despair. I give up. He wins.
The secret to beating Urobuchi: come up with a theory that's even more dark and gritty then what he will come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
He's forming contracts, why though is not revealed yet
I think we got a pretty good hint. Remember what his other purpose was revealed to be this episode? He's like a farmer growing magical girls in the soil (witches). Thing's gotta eat them grief seeds.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 07:44   Link #230
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Italy
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
on QB though isn't it strange he only contracts little girls? girls who are not yet matured enough to make good decisions in this situation, never been explained right? guess one more thing looking forward to
Connected to this: isn't it strange that we saw only girls/adolescents being MG? Why haven't we seen a mature woman? Is there a limit on how much a MG survives or what?
__________________
Sorry for the poor english.
The italian schools don't care very much about proper foreign languages teaching


Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 07:48   Link #231
Vanish
Science Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere.
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
I think we're supposed to accept the fact that "little girls" take over the work of Magical Girls. I mean, it's just the genre. If you question that, might as well question why there aren't Magical Boys, or why not all "little girls" are eligible to pass as MG.
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 07:52   Link #232
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Italy
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
I think we're supposed to accept the fact that "little girls" take over the work of Magical Girls. I mean, it's just the genre. If you question that, might as well question why there aren't Magical Boys, or why not all "little girls" are eligible to pass as MG.
We already have another anime with a Magical Boy this season, and, seeing the results, I guess it was a good idea not to put one here...
__________________
Sorry for the poor english.
The italian schools don't care very much about proper foreign languages teaching


Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 08:20   Link #233
garbage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
I think we're supposed to accept the fact that "little girls" take over the work of Magical Girls. I mean, it's just the genre. If you question that, might as well question why there aren't Magical Boys, or why not all "little girls" are eligible to pass as MG.
not at all. for me a writer to just "ask" the readers to accept that as fact without any explanation because its the "genre" is just poor writing. to illustrate,
Spoiler for examples:


point is QB is making contracts with minors, who most probably is not even matured enough to understand the consequences of their choices. and there aren't any explanations yet why he cant make a contract with someone older and yes if you prefer why not a boy/man
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 08:25   Link #234
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In Hancock's Heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
Connected to this: isn't it strange that we saw only girls/adolescents being MG? Why haven't we seen a mature woman? Is there a limit on how much a MG survives or what?
since the MGs human body is only like a gigai now, it's plausible that the girls don't age anymore. XD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 08:35   Link #235
klare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
we get a shocking truth again from this eps, Kyubey is hiding so many info, now i start to not understand him, what does he really want...

only Homura-chan seems to know the whole thing, and her objective should be revealed soon with that night of something coming up

since Magical Girls cannot die even with their body destroyed, can anyone tell is Mami-san still alive somehow?
__________________
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 08:35   Link #236
Vanish
Science Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere.
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
not at all. for me a writer to just "ask" the readers to accept that as fact without any explanation because its the "genre" is just poor writing. to illustrate,
Spoiler for examples:


point is QB is making contracts with minors, who most probably is not even matured enough to understand the consequences of their choices. and there aren't any explanations yet why he cant make a contract with someone older and yes if you prefer why not a boy/man
Whether it's bad writing or not is up to one's opinion. That we're supposed to accept the fact is my own perception. I see that questioning things like "why only minors?" or "why not boys?" etc. is possible and can make sense. But in this case I think even if we knew why Kyubei only contracts minors it would only mean we can reason the fact. And that is the reason why I predict that the reason won't be covered because it probably won't be of much significance for the actual events and outcomes. Hence it's better not to think about it as in case it won't be covered some people will just consider it being a plothole or the like.

Isn't Homura a good example for being mature enough? And Kyouko surely seems to be well adapted in case she is/was immature and unknowing.
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 09:05   Link #237
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
Connected to this: isn't it strange that we saw only girls/adolescents being MG? Why haven't we seen a mature woman? Is there a limit on how much a MG survives or what?
Don't you know, you lose your "dreams" as you grow older. It may not be that he can't, but more that older aged women don't have any sort of wish. Now as for why only girls? probably the spell doesn't work on boys. There's a even simpler explanation: the wishes of little girls are just so damn crazy enough that they stand to gain the most power — and we know he's very indifferent to human nature as we know it (age is likely one of the many things he doesn't give a damn about).
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 09:10   Link #238
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
There's no excuse for taking another's life, period.

I'm cold and logical as well. Logic would say, he killed X, albeit in a very "cute" fashion, hence he is evil.
Logic doesn't require a person to discount the importance of intent behind an action.


Quote:
Yes, technically Kyubei hasn't sinned since he isn't aware of his sins (from what we know) or the gravity of his sins. Because he doesn't consciously hurt others (as you say, he just doesn't know better) his actions can't be labeled as sins; just as a child throwing some animal out the window of a building, in a playful fashion, ignorant to the consequences would not have technically sinned.
Very well articulated. Now, you can replace "sinned" with "done evil", and "sins" with "evil deeds", and you'll arrive at a big reason why I'm cautious about calling Kyubey "evil".

Again, even within a very cold and calculated view, intent is (or at least can be) important. If a man sincerely thinks that what he is doing is right, and furthermore can't even conceive of why others would think otherwise (Kyubey seems genuinely perplexed by how humans object to certain aspects of the magical girl role in this universe), then is he evil?

I'm still waiting for some concrete impression that Kyubey is fully cognizant of the unethical nature of some of his actions. Keep in mind that he didn't even argue "the ends justify the means" when Madoka became morally upset with him in this episode. No, instead he implied that he couldn't even understand why she's upset, or why humans get upset about this. It's a complete dismissal, not one where he says "The important thing is the larger picture, Madoka".

Long story short, I get the impression that Kyubey sincerely doesn't think that he's done anything wrong. So while his deeds may be evil from our perspective, from his, there may very well be no evil intent there.

So, while he may be evil, this lack of evil intent makes him less evil, in my view, than someone like Beatrice (Umineko), who knows what she is doing is evil, and clearly delights in it for that reason.


Quote:
Though mind you, it is a sin if he becomes conscious of it (ie. regret), even if it happened in the past, so even if he's not evil now, he'll technically be evil later…
Depends on if he ever becomes conscious of it.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 09:29   Link #239
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 19
HOLLY SHIT! Best mahou shoujo since Nanoha ever!
Spoiler for ep 6:
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 09:33   Link #240
garbage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Whether it's bad writing or not is up to one's opinion. That we're supposed to accept the fact is my own perception.
ok, if for you having unexplained things/situations is acceptable i can respect that. but for me it's bad writing and will only lessen my liking for this show, i don't want that to happen, since i think this is one of the better shows currently showing.

Quote:
. But in this case I think even if we knew why Kyubei only contracts minors it would only mean we can reason the fact. And that is the reason why I predict that the reason won't be covered because it probably won't be of much significance for the actual events and outcomes. Hence it's better not to think about it as in case it won't be covered some people will just consider it being a plothole or the like.
Sorry, I'm apologizing in advance. I don't want to diss or insult you in any way. but i really can't get what your trying to say here. it's kinda ambiguous. might be due to how the sentences were formed. I hold though that it is significant because it will highlight or further illustrate QB's intent and motivations. And also the workings of the Mahou Shoujo in their universe. And yes I would consider it a plothole if it's not tackled in the following episodes.

Quote:
Isn't Homura a good example for being mature enough? And Kyouko surely seems to be well adapted in case she is/was immature and unknowing.
well for all intents and purposes Homura seems to be mature enough. definitely the most mature in how she handles situations among the girls. But it's irrelevant. as i've said it's being mature enough during the contract "signing" that is important. how do you know that she was like this from the beginning? she might have matured along the way. The impression she gives is that she has been doing this for a long time already, she has seen a lot of other MS. could be she has matured along the way. As for kyoko, well her actions speak for themselves.
still by their looks they were young when they got the contract, it's just that as one poster said it just might be they don't age anymore being zombies and all.

anyway hope everything clears out and we get a great show with a great ending
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
madness, madoka magica

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.