AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-10-20, 09:14   Link #41
Cheesemon
Purokogi?

I listen to music mainly for the beat, a good rhythm = good music for me. However, sometimes the lyrics get in the way; for example, I love the beat of Britney Spears music, but I usually don't like the lyrics. I'm really sick of love/heartbreak etc. Unfortunately, while alternative music has good lyrics, I don't like the beat. So what do I do?

I turn to J-pop. A lot of it has a good beat, and I don't understand enough Japanese to know the lyrics. So maybe the song is a love song, and it has the worse lyrics in the world, but because I don't understand the words, I can concentrate on the rhythm. Besides, Japanese is such a beautiful, relaxing language to listen to.

There's nothing wrong with liking J-pop, though it sometimes bugs me that anime fans often restrict themselves to songs they hear in anime. Most Japanese singers will never cover an anime OP/ED and so a lot of anime fans are really missing out on some great singers. Of course, I guess it's understandable since there isn't a J-pop station to help promote these artists. Eh well.
Cheesemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 10:14   Link #42
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
My reasons are basically threefold;

First; I just like the sound of the singers voices.
(At least the singers I like, I mostly listen to female singers and groups)

Second; I like to listen to singing in Japanese, actually I rather like singing in many languages. Japanese, German and Russian being probably the favorites. (I have had people say to me "How can you listen to that when you can't understand the lyrics?" I basically look at it almost as an equivalent to an instrumental song, with the voice being another instrument.)

Third; Allot of Jpop has a style quite similar to 80's American pop music, which was the last I really liked more songs than I didn't like. (That and '70s rock: Pink Floyd, Rush and the like.)
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 11:40   Link #43
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanna
American music has no variety. Yay new rap song or Yay new pop-punk song or even Yay new slut song. Other parts of the world have better music to offer to my ears. Morning Musume and Ayumi Hamasaki is not better music (It's getting warm in here), but it beats lyrics about sleeping around, doing drugs and being a loser.

Music in Japan is just a better choice, with much more variety.
If you don't bother to listen to American music outside the scope of Clear Channel-owned radio and MTV/VH1/BET television, you have less than no right to comment on it. I enjoy JPop as feel-good fluff, but I realize it's no more substantial than the fluff that's released in this country, only different. If you want real substance, get into the indie scene. There's lots of exciting, innovative music being made that also has something to SAY. Yes, foreign music is good (my favorite band, Sigur Rós, is from Iceland) but to say that JPop exhibits more variety within itself than several non-Japanese genres is foolish and uninformed.

If you're fortunate to live in a town that gets a college radio station, tune into that—they often are independent radio stations, so you won't hear big names or tracks by multi-platinum artists. Instead you'll get a wide variety of indie music,
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 15:22   Link #44
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
People, as a general rule, are masochists. This works well, due to the fact that Japanese singers are, as a general rule, sadists. As such, we have this wonderful exchange of cultural aural erotica going on, which people dismiss as mere "poppy shit music." In fact, Jpop is a time tested art form based around the idea of inflicting pain. Under17 has, at this point, perfected the female sadist style, where as their fans are generally the elite of the masochistic crowd. As for males, I can't say. Don't know many. Assuming Do as Infinity is male, they've more or elss got it down pat. Gackt is certainly up there.

In any event, don't look down on Jpop/rock. Shitty is may be, but it's that special kind of shitty, like the truck stop coffee that is SO bad, you drive across America one more time just to taste it, choke, and say with tears streaming down your face "My fucking God, this is an awful cup of coffee."

That said, I listen to good music and am into normal sex, so Jpop isn't my thing. Give me Jimi Hendrix.
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 16:18   Link #45
LytHka
Banned

If you look at translations of Jpop, Jrock and so on, the songs really don't have anything good or meaningful to say unless you look the the kanji. And even those don't impress me. They really don't have much to say. "yume", "hikari", "kokoro" are like words you can find in a lot of Jpop songs. It's just restructuring sentences and everytime you do that, you can get a new song.

I don't really understand the songs well if I don't have any lyrics. Despite that, I LOVE JPop though not just any kind. I'm a sworn fanboy of KOTOKO and I've Sound. Why do I like Jpop if I don't understand a thing and if all songs are the same to me? Japanese music producers do know better ways for music or just the melody, the sound of a song, itself to have a great impact on the listener. They use better samples and they mix those way better than any European or American artist, producer. (I'm not going into discussions about Indies and such )

While I do believe that Japanese music already hit the limit where noone can create inovative music I also think that English music is hitting that limit right now.

As AndrewLB said about Hendrix (yah, he's deh man ) more and more people are focusing back to past performers since they can find originality in those. Us Jpop lovers just focused into something really remote from the english music market and are enjoying that.

EDIT: I also like Jpop because it's really easy to sing and it's even more fun to be catching those romanji words and trying to sing them as fast as possible. It's really entertaining. Yes, I sing to Japanese. Waai~
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 02:09   Link #46
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB
People, as a general rule, are masochists. This works well, due to the fact that Japanese singers are, as a general rule, sadists. As such, we have this wonderful exchange of cultural aural erotica going on, which people dismiss as mere "poppy shit music." In fact, Jpop is a time tested art form based around the idea of inflicting pain. Under17 has, at this point, perfected the female sadist style, where as their fans are generally the elite of the masochistic crowd. As for males, I can't say. Don't know many. Assuming Do as Infinity is male, they've more or elss got it down pat. Gackt is certainly up there.

In any event, don't look down on Jpop/rock. Shitty is may be, but it's that special kind of shitty, like the truck stop coffee that is SO bad, you drive across America one more time just to taste it, choke, and say with tears streaming down your face "My fucking God, this is an awful cup of coffee."

That said, I listen to good music and am into normal sex, so Jpop isn't my thing. Give me Jimi Hendrix.
What you mean sounds almost like you think people who listen to Jpop are abnormals >.<
You don't like Jpop, all right : but that's not a reason to say it's bad. Something you don't like isn't necessary bad, maybe it's you who have bad taste.
Old 2004-10-21, 02:13   Link #47
genmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemon
I turn to J-pop. A lot of it has a good beat, and I don't understand enough Japanese to know the lyrics. So maybe the song is a love song, and it has the worse lyrics in the world, but because I don't understand the words, I can concentrate on the rhythm. Besides, Japanese is such a beautiful, relaxing language to listen to.
Once you can understand the words, you'll cover your ears with foam and cut your hands off for pushing the button that spewed forth the vertible torrent of crap that J-Pop consists of. The only things worse than J-Pop on this cursed plane are C-Pop and (shudder) K-Pop.
genmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 04:07   Link #48
LytHka
Banned

There was a music convention some time back in Stockholm where the world's leading musicians (mostly Classical and Jazz musicians) discussed vocals. They've come to the conclusion that the Northern European ("scandinavian") nations have such splendid linguistic attributes that their singing is very bright and easy to listen to (much easier to listen to "fair" songs, whereas for example Russians can't sing as bright). Also they've come to the conclusion that most asians can immitate any kind of colour and "tone" of music, thus having superiority over others (though they lack personal creativity in their own singing).

Another reason why I truly admire Japanese vocal characteristics.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 14:46   Link #49
Circle

What Cheesemon said is basically why I like J-pop; cuz I can't understand any cheesy lyrics. For example, Aishiteruze Baby's opening song. The beat and melody is nice, but if you follow the lyrics, the girl sings about girls having to wake up early and brush their teeth. If that is sang in English, it'll make me puke.

Another song I love is "Wo qui non coin" from Cowboy Bebop. The song's in Japanese and French and the lyrics is about the girl missing her puppy. This song would be ridiculous if it's in English, but since I can only hear the relaxing melody and smooth voice, I've played this song so many times I can kareoke to it even though I don't understand the words. =)
Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 19:18   Link #50
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
What you mean sounds almost like you think people who listen to Jpop are abnormals >.<
You don't like Jpop, all right : but that's not a reason to say it's bad. Something you don't like isn't necessary bad, maybe it's you who have bad taste.
No. Jpop actually IS bad. I fucking hate Pink Floyd, for example, but I can recognize pretty decent music. The songs are poorly made imitations of past American bands, and in some cases, modern ones, who for the most part are imitating old bands anyway. The lyrics are bad, the music is not only poorly written but also unoriginal (though frankly, I don't ask for much originality), and most of the time, the people who are fans of it are simply fans because it's Japanese, and God knows, the Japanese can do no wrong. The rest of the time, it's probably because they got so sick of shitty American music, they want to listen to shitty Japanese music instead. Maybe they just haven't heard the good American music (Trust me, when it comes to stuff made the in 1900s, America has made the most and the best music). After all, even I've felt the desire to have a really bad cup of coffee sometimes, and I'll go to great lengths to have that fucking awful cup of coffee, and then say "Damn, that's a bad cup of coffee," but defend it to the last breath at the same time.

But hey, feel free to insult my taste of music: http://andrewlb.com/?s=winamp

And for good measure:
[19:22] * AndrewLB listens to: Judas Priest - Electric Eye [1:11/3:43] (128kbps)
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 00:07   Link #51
DeuceTrick

Hi everyone. Been lurking for a while, but this is my first post.

I think the problem with "J-pop" is that, much like the American "Pop/Rock" genre you find in any music store, it encompasses too many different styles. For instance, I can't stand Ayumi Hamasaki, but I think that Gackt has definite merit as a composer and musician. What does that say about my taste for J-pop, other than the fact that J-pop is a flimsy category to begin with? Also, Japanese alternative rock, like the wonderful Shiina Ringo and a lot of Olivia Lufkin's work, tends to get lumped into the J-pop category even though the sounds are completely different.

I once spoke with my brother about the subject of Asian music versus the American variety, and he pointed out using a piano that East Asian music is more comfortable with using series of sharps and flats, whereas Western music goes with the white keys (sorry, I can't recall what they're called). I'm not sure how much that holds today, but I think it demonstrates a significant difference. With increasingly fast communication and information sharing, I think the next few decades will see an amazing merge between the two. It's already happening, what with bands trying to cross overseas.

Anyway, just listen to what you like. Good or bad, it's all a matter of taste. I have Depeche Mode in my playlist with Under17 and Elvis Costello, and I enjoy it. As long as you don't proclaim that other types of music are "bad, wrong fun," then it's all good.
DeuceTrick is offline   Reply With Quote