AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-10-23, 15:00   Link #1
kyee7k

my isp/modem doesn't seem to like bittorrent...

everytime i have the bittorrent on, my connection goes out and i have to reboot it.
my isp is qwest and i'm currently hooked up via msn's dsl 1000 modem.
is there something with my modem or my isp?
what can i do? i'm currently running on shadow's bittorrent .38.
kyee7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 16:00   Link #2
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

DSL modems sometimes do not like BT when you max out the connection. You sould set your overall to 80-90% of your connection speed. Given that it's a DSL 1000, your overall DL (best estimate) should not exceed 122kbps and UL should not exceed 15Kbps.

Are you running with a router or directly connected?

Try setting BitTornado UL/DL ratio lower to DSL/Cable Slow and to run no more than 2 torrents concurrently. If it works, slowly increase speed until it "breaks" and set it back down to find the "perfect balance". Also, are you doing a lot of HTTP/FTP traffic? If yes, try to limit it right now to isolate the problem.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 22:43   Link #3
kyee7k

the modem is connected directly to my computer. that upload/download rate is amazing because my plan is for 650 kbs/250 kbs.
kyee7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 07:59   Link #4
Faint

Your ISP might not want you to use BT because of all the pirated software you can download but that's just a maybe. Have you tryed calling your ISP?
Faint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 11:51   Link #5
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

It could be as Faint says but it sounds like your typical DSL maxout problem. The UL/DL is shared bandwidth and is causing the connection to collapse and forcing a reboot. The DSL modem can also be a problem - it cannot keep up with all the traffic.
Old 2004-10-25, 01:11   Link #6
Cpl-Hicks

can the same thing happen to a cable modem? because im having a problem kinda like the one mentioned above. if so how do i change the settings to "find the perfect balance?"
Cpl-Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 01:26   Link #7
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Cable modems use a different technology. It's not really a problem. Some cable modems such as the RCA (white box - first generation) has this problem. Each cable provider and area has a different dl/ul mix so you have to experiment. I think by using clients such as Azureus which manages your total ul/dl speed works best since you only have to manage one global ul/dl ratio. Use the wizard to configure.

ABC is also another good GUI Client but it's no longer being developed.