AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-02-21, 09:13   Link #8021
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
it's not about Mikoto wouldn't care, it's Mikoto is not going to get involved unless somebody else involves her, or she happens to stumble upon it
Mikoto has stumbled upon the magic side several times; Sherry Cromwell, she overheard Terra fighting with Touma through the phone, she found Touma on his way to fight Acqua. But things keep happening to force her out of actually making contact with the magic side, even when it's right there in front of her; things like Terra over the phone, obviously she can't do anything about that, or whenever she's not around, but when she is around is a different story.

Quote:
yep, which is why Kuroko teleporting Index and Misaka who are bitching and losing time over who should be teleported first instead of grabbing Kazakiri and Index is not a plot hole
Order of getting people out of danger should be determined by who's talking the loudest at the time? I don't think Hyouka being quieter would help her against any bad guys around.

Quote:
you are saying we should consider the fact that Kuroko knows that Misaka may be able to defend herself, and not the fact that Kuroko is still a first year middle schooler, is alone, has to evacuate as many people as she can in as little time as possible, and Mikoto and Index are the closets to her, and are actively bitching about who should be teleported first, and making them all lose time because of it
Erm, determining who should be evaced first isn't rocket science, besides which you have middle schooler running surveilance, running important computer research, and investigating serious esper crimes all throughout Judgement. So I think you're making a moot point about Kuroko's age. Anime schoolkids are notoriously intelligent.
Again, decibel level is a poor base for judging evacuation priority. Not arguing wouldn't help Hyouka against a golem.

Quote:
And also the fact that Kuroko plans on teleporting back right away to take Kazakiri to safety as well
As I said to MonkeyDude, that's irrelevant; you get the most vulnerable people out first, regardless of how much time you think you have. It's common sense, and standard procedure for police, and since Judgement is the esper police.....

Quote:
yes, but he's always generally tried to keep other people out of harms way, before/while running into battle
But he didn't bring Hyouka; she followed him on her own. Which is a point about Mikoto that I've pointed out to others, on this topic; Touma can't do anything to stop people from following him, whether it be Hyouka or Mikoto.

Quote:
Spoiler:
how is this inconsistent, exactly? This is all she knows about what's going on, Touma and Index are trying to save their friend who's currently been turned into "something"(mikoto has no idea about what kazakiri has been turned into, just that she needs to be saved, and quickly), and the hound dogs are chasing them to stop them
I never said this scene was inconsistent. I never even talked about it until now. This is a big exception to my stance; Mikoto didn't just shy away from the fight and let Touma go off to fight alone. She stayed because she needed to cover his back and help him out. That has nothing to do with my point that Mikoto should get more action time. In fact, if anything that whole part is evidence for my case.
This is exactly what I'm talking about shoud actually happen when Mikoto sees Touma is involved in something, she steps in to (at the very least try) help, in accordance with her character; it's just that with these guys here, she won't have to contend with a hax ability like Divine Punishment.

Quote:
I'm talking about Frenda, you know, the one who nearly killed Mikoto, and probably would have succeded if she didn't make her snap with her monologue about how she likes to kill
..............................DOH!!! I knew she was a Level 0, but I keep forgetting that because of how well she fights in the Railgun manga. >.>
Anyway, just because she had trouble against a Level 0 who not only used tactics but had the homefield advantage (had traps set up and such) doesn't mean Mikoto is weak. Shiage is a Level 0, yet he beat Mugino with tactics.
Furthermore, I'd say that that just goes to show how good Frenda is, not how weak Mikoto is. And considering after that fight she immediately confronted and beat Mugino, when she had already been previously exhuasted both mentally and physically, goes even further to show how good Mikoto is.

Quote:
Yes, way more fights than Mikoto, in fact. Which is why he's so much more experienced than Mikoto.
I never said he's had way more fights , and none of us can say which of the two is more experienced. How do we know Mikoto hasn't fought any Espers before in recreational matches and got experience that way? either way, it's obvious that Mikoto isn't some rookie and that she has plenty of experience to use her powers.

Quote:
in fact age doesn't matter, what matters is that they are magicians, and have been involved with the affairs of magicians all their lives, which means they have a lot of experience in that.
And Touma had absolutely no experience with magic at all when he first got involved, yet he managed to beat Stiyl. So there's nothing here that says Mikoto couldn't win.

Quote:
Mikoto is just a civilian middle schooler who's had way less experience than them, and most of the time didn't even know what she was getting involved into
Exactly the same as Touma; he's worked it out pretty well, don't you think?

Quote:
Of course. Except Touma pretty much made her understand that it was HIS fight, not hers
He mad it clear why he fights, not why she can't help. He explains how his memories still exist in his heart even if they aren't in his head anymore, etc. But even if he had specifically told her not to come, again, she has realized she's in love with him and yet is going to let him go off injured to a battle? When her personality already calls on her to help people in need? As I like to say in situations like these, "not bloody likely."

Quote:
which is precisely what Kuroko was doing
Nope. She left the most vulnerable civilian behind in dangerous territory to get a Level 5, fully capable of handling Sherry as she had aptly demonstrated (also showing that she has more than enough capability to handle magicians, barring hax magic abilities that would cripple everybody, not just her, like Divine Punishment), out first. Not responsible priorities.[/quote]

Quote:
they were all civilians to be evacuated in the shortest time possible, regardless of whether they could defend themselves or not
Whether they're helpless or not makes a big difference. You prioritize helping people in wheelchairs or beds when evacuating a hospital because the people with broken arms can walk out themselves. When you have a Level 5 who can blast the golem to bits with a single shot easily, you don't prioritize her over the person who has no special abilities at all. (as far as they knew, anyway).

Quote:
i think you have a different idea of Mikoto's character than what she actually is...
You mean to say you think she'd just leave alone the man she loves as he goes off injured, to what she knows is going to be a big battle? Um, not bloody likely. Why in the world would a person who puts herself in danger to help other people ignore her man's plight, even at his behest?

Quote:
and you are completely ignoring BOTH the circumstances AND Kuroko's character
The circumstances: a "terrorist" with superpowers is loose in the mall. There are two powerless civilians, a level 5 esper, and a guy she can't teleport out. Pick the level 5 esper, who has shown she can handle herself against the terrorist, to go first over the helpless civilian? Uh-uh.

Kuroko: A girl who dearly loves her oneesama, but has specifically stated that she would fight against Mikoto if she became an enemy of Academy City, in accordance with her duties as a member of Judgement.

To be perfectly honest, it's an affront to Kuroko's character; she is not so short-sighted as to judge who to save by order of who she likes more and not by who's more vulnerable.
__________________

Last edited by Shinji103; 2011-02-21 at 09:29.
Shinji103 is online now  
Old 2011-02-21, 11:47   Link #8022
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Now you're taking my point a bit too straight there. By "contribute," I don't mean to make a difference so much as to try to contribute. Even if Mikoto knew that she wouldn't be able to defeat Acqua, she would still go and try to at least make a difference that could help Touma win; that's just her kind of character. Touma would do the same, even if he didn't have Imagine Breaker. Mikoto wouldn't be any more of a liability than everybody else that was getting their butts kicked though, so from your point of view, why did any of them bother to help Touma at all if they were just going to get beaten down by Acqua? Same reason that Mikoto would; to try and help. To make an effort instead of sitting on their hands and doing nothing.
That is just plain impossible, there was various spells set up by the Amakusas, Aqua and Kaori to keep away non magicians in the fight on the whole area. Even if Mikoto would have follow him she wouldn't have been able to see anything.

Quote:
And if this was anybody besides mikoto, say Kaori, Kamachi would have undoubtedly "wasted pages just to see her become a liability." You're looking at this far too much from an out-of-series point of view.
Wrong, Kaori and Tsuchimikado had enough protection to be safe from the Angel Fall spell which is enough powerful to cast down a real archangel and Index herself stated there are ways to be protected, her Walking Church was an example. A spell done by somone who is trying to be an archangel isn't on the same level.


Quote:
Mikoto has stumbled upon the magic side several times; Sherry Cromwell, she overheard Terra fighting with Touma through the phone, she found Touma on his way to fight Acqua. But things keep happening to force her out of actually making contact with the magic side, even when it's right there in front of her; things like Terra over the phone, obviously she can't do anything about that, or whenever she's not around, but when she is around is a different story.
Not true at all:
1. Never knew about Sherry being a magician.
2. Mikoto only paid attention to Touma's memory revelation.
3. Found Touma on his way but never knew who was the enemy. She even asked him to tell her who.


Quote:
But he didn't bring Hyouka; she followed him on her own. Which is a point about Mikoto that I've pointed out to others, on this topic; Touma can't do anything to stop people from following him, whether it be Hyouka or Mikoto.
Person A usally buys ice cream with X flavor but the next day buys a ice cream with Y flavor, does that makes A out of character?


Quote:
Shiage is a Level 0, yet he beat Mugino with tactics.
Thats very different, Shiage has the experience of a Skill Out so he knows what to expect from a rampaging esper even more from Mugino after knowing what kind of character she has.


Quote:
I never said he's had way more fights , and none of us can say which of the two is more experienced. How do we know Mikoto hasn't fought any Espers before in recreational matches and got experience that way? either way, it's obvious that Mikoto isn't some rookie and that she has plenty of experience to use her powers.
Experience fighting students isn't the same to the experience adquired with pros who won't hesitate to kill.

Both are the same age:
Stiyl has the mentality and determination to kill and its implied he did kill before various times.
Mikoto saw a clone being killed and went insane.

You know you can win a fight without killing but it gives you less complicated schemes and leads to more effective forms to win a battle. Thats war.


Quote:
And Touma had absolutely no experience with magic at all when he first got involved, yet he managed to beat Stiyl. So there's nothing here that says Mikoto couldn't win.
There is, Index told him about how to pass through Stiyl's trump card.

Quote:
She left the most vulnerable civilian behind in dangerous territory to get a Level 5, fully capable of handling Sherry as she had aptly demonstrated (also showing that she has more than enough capability to handle magicians, barring hax magic abilities that would cripple everybody, not just her, like Divine Punishment), out first.
What?
You mean the piece of Golem used as a decoy is an apt demonstration?
The golem was only a decoy what would have make difference between AIM Burst and Ellis when both has regeneration ability, she was able to stop the first because she GOT the help.
The golem just can keep regenerating once and once again until the boredom. What would have done Mikoto against it if she doesn't knows how to fight it and has no idea about a way to find and stop Sherry? Remember to stop an spell you must destroy the ritual location (which there isn't) or KILL the caster.
__________________
Love songs for the genuinely cunning.
Miraluka is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 12:39   Link #8023
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The 305
Age: 20
This argument is useless now
I_am_Kami is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 12:41   Link #8024
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Academy City
Didn't this argument die out yesterday? Why is it starting back up again?
__________________
SuzushinaYuriko is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 14:03   Link #8025
bizzi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Even if Mikoto would have follow him she wouldn't have been able to see anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
What would have done Mikoto against it if she doesn't knows how to fight it and has no idea about a way to find and stop Sherry?
You didn't get it.

The point is: we don't care about what she would have done, or what would have happened. Not at all.
We want her to behave consistently. That is, have the will to try and help, as she would normally do.

Take Sherry. Mikoto should have stayed in the mall and help Touma, without Kazakiri, cause she is a damn LEVEL 5! You know Mikoto, she didn't know about magic at that time: she would have done anything possible in order to fight Sherry. Take Touma and Gunha for example. You know she always wants to prove her superiority.

About what would've happened later, we don't really care, but for example she could have done an awesome teamfight with Touma.
bizzi is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 14:55   Link #8026
giorno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Order of getting people out of danger should be determined by who's talking the loudest at the time? I don't think Hyouka being quieter would help her against any bad guys around.
No, but the most important thing here is to evacuate all 3 of them in the shortest time possible, not evacuate the two most defenseless regardless of time and then if there's still time the third one

Quote:
Erm, determining who should be evaced first isn't rocket science, besides which you have middle schooler running surveilance, running important computer research, and investigating serious esper crimes all throughout Judgement. So I think you're making a moot point about Kuroko's age. Anime schoolkids are notoriously intelligent.
Again, decibel level is a poor base for judging evacuation priority. Not arguing wouldn't help Hyouka against a golem.
Except Kuroko is STILL a first year middle school girl who we have already seen is not nearly as trained, disciplined and qualified as an anti-skill

Quote:
As I said to MonkeyDude, that's irrelevant; you get the most vulnerable people out first, regardless of how much time you think you have.
well, not exactly, the priority is evacuating ALL civilians in the shortest time possible, and sure, the most vulnerable ones should be evacuated first when possible

which doesn't change the fact that Kuroko is not an anti-skill, she even let Touma decide who to evacuate first and just grabbed the two closest persons to her when Index and Kuroko started bitching and losing time over it...

Quote:
It's common sense, and standard procedure for police, and since Judgement is the esper police.....
heh, yes, but they're only street patrols, not an anti-terrorist unit. They do not have nearly as much training as the anti-skills.

Quote:
But he didn't bring Hyouka; she followed him on her own. Which is a point about Mikoto that I've pointed out to others, on this topic; Touma can't do anything to stop people from following him, whether it be Hyouka or Mikoto.
the point is why the heck he didn't wait for Kuroko's return with Hyouka, to make sure she would be taken to safety before rushing into battle

that is a plot hole

Quote:
I never said this scene was inconsistent. I never even talked about it until now.
uhm
Quote:
Quote:
i agree with you. That said, do you actually think Mikoto should have fought Vento instead of listening to Touma and just do what he told her to do? (if so, you should go back and read that part again)
What reason does Mikoto have to listen to Touma and let him face the danger all alone? That is inconsistent with Mikoto's type of character, yet is constantly being forced to keep her out of the action. And no, I shouldn't have to go back and read it again.
you did


Quote:
..............................DOH!!! I knew she was a Level 0, but I keep forgetting that because of how well she fights in the Railgun manga. >.>
Anyway, just because she had trouble against a Level 0 who not only used tactics but had the homefield advantage (had traps set up and such) doesn't mean Mikoto is weak.
i never said Mikoto is weak. My point is that Frenda, a much more experience fighter than Mikoto, nearly killed her by using superior tactics, a result of her experience, despite the overwhelming difference in power.

Your point, which is what i was countering with this, was that Mikoto is very smart and can defeat magicians by using superior tactics. Except 9 out of 10 magicians are much more experienced than her, so if anything, it would be THEM who hold the tactical advantage over Mikoto. Especially in the case of people like Acqua, who pretty much spent all his life fighting

Quote:
Shiage is a Level 0, yet he beat Mugino with tactics.
1) Shiage is a skill out
2) Shiage had good knowledge and understanding of Mugino's power. Without this, he never would have won against her

Quote:
Furthermore, I'd say that that just goes to show how good Frenda is, not how weak Mikoto is.
I never said she is weak. I'm saying she's not a tactical genius, like you claim she is, and she can't compete in that with people who are much more experienced than her

Quote:
And considering after that fight she immediately confronted and beat Mugino, when she had already been previously exhuasted both mentally and physically, goes even further to show how good Mikoto is.
yeah, and again, this was a result of her exceptional power and her creativity and adaptability with it, coupled with Mugino underestimating the shit out of her

Quote:
either way, it's obvious that Mikoto isn't some rookie and that she has plenty of experience to use her powers.
Yes. And it is also obvious that she has nowhere near as much experience with real battles as Touma, the majority of magicians and people of the dark side of AC have

Quote:
And Touma had absolutely no experience with magic at all when he first got involved
He had plenty of experience from fights against espers in the back alleys of AC, it wasn't his first time dealing with someone with a strange power

Quote:
yet he managed to beat Stiyl. So there's nothing here that says Mikoto couldn't win.
He only won thanks to Index. And i'm not saying Mikoto couldn't win in Touma's situation, either. To begin with, Styil isn't someone who is above her league

Quote:
Exactly the same as Touma; he's worked it out pretty well, don't you think?
No, not even close. Touma basically grew up fighting against espers and level 0 in the back alleys of AC. Mikoto grew up like a normal girl

Quote:
He mad it clear why he fights, not why she can't help. He explains how his memories still exist in his heart even if they aren't in his head anymore, etc. But even if he had specifically told her not to come, again, she has realized she's in love with him and yet is going to let him go off injured to a battle? When her personality already calls on her to help people in need? As I like to say in situations like these, "not bloody likely."
she's a 14 year old girl who's just realized she's in love with a guy and is completely overwhelmed by the situation and by his words. Which carried a clear undertone of "don't get involved" with it

Quote:
Nope. She left the most vulnerable civilian behind in dangerous territory to get a Level 5, fully capable of handling Sherry as she had aptly demonstrated (also showing that she has more than enough capability to handle magicians, barring hax magic abilities that would cripple everybody, not just her, like Divine Punishment), out first. Not responsible priorities.
Kuroko probably never received training for such situations, and in her eyes are 4 civilians she has to take to safety, not Touma, one level 5 and two defenseless civilians. Or more precisely, there are 4 civilians whom she must evacuate in the shortest time possible, of which one whom she can't teleport, and the two closest to her who are arguing about who should be teleported first and losing time

Forced? Yes. Inconsistent? heck no

Quote:
Whether they're helpless or not makes a big difference. You prioritize helping people in wheelchairs or beds when evacuating a hospital because the people with broken arms can walk out themselves. When you have a Level 5 who can blast the golem to bits with a single shot easily, you don't prioritize her over the person who has no special abilities at all. (as far as they knew, anyway)
Except given the circumstances and the fact that Kuroko is not an anti-skill, knows Mikoto's character all too well, and in her eyes are 3(4 actually) "defenceless" civilians to be evacuated

Quote:
You mean to say you think she'd just leave alone the man she loves as he goes off injured, to what she knows is going to be a big battle? Um, not bloody likely. Why in the world would a person who puts herself in danger to help other people ignore her man's plight, even at his behest?
Because she's overwhelmed by the situation and because he's made clear that it was HIS battle

but mostly because she was overwhelmed by the situation. Which is entirely understandable, considering she's only 14

Quote:
The circumstances: a "terrorist" with superpowers is loose in the mall. There are two powerless civilians, a level 5 esper, and a guy she can't teleport out. Pick the level 5 esper, who has shown she can handle herself against the terrorist, to go first over the helpless civilian? Uh-uh.
Wrong. There are 4 civilians to be evacuated in the shortest time possible, and that is all

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, it's an affront to Kuroko's character; she is not so short-sighted as to judge who to save by order of who she likes more and not by who's more vulnerable.
No, but she IS short-sighted enough to judge who to save by order of which would be faster, when they're already short on time and two of the 4 are stupidly arguing and making a mess about it, losing precious time in the process


Quote:
Take Sherry. Mikoto should have stayed in the mall and help Touma, without Kazakiri, cause she is a damn LEVEL 5! You know Mikoto, she didn't know about magic at that time: she would have done anything possible in order to fight Sherry. Take Touma and Gunha for example. You know she always wants to show her strength.
Except Kuroko's job is to evacuate ALL civilians, and that includes Mikoto. Who was already bitching about it
giorno is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 15:13   Link #8027
bizzi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: France
Quote:
Touma basically grew up fighting against espers and level 0 in the back alleys of AC
Just like Mikoto.

Quote:
Mikoto grew up like a normal girl
Your credibility is GONE. Here you go, take my rope.
bizzi is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 15:27   Link #8028
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Academy City
Why would Mikoto be fighting espers and Level 0's in the back alleys of Academy City? That doesn't make sense at all. It has been said that Mikoto is simply a normal girl with powers, and Railgun clearly shows that.

Stop trying to give Mikoto a dark past that she doesn't have.
__________________
SuzushinaYuriko is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 16:02   Link #8029
bizzi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: France
Your are kidding me? She has always been doing so.
bizzi is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 16:39   Link #8030
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The 305
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzi View Post
Your are kidding me? She has always been doing so.
Yah but it's just horny guys. No actual big deal. Touma and accelerator have been through more shit. I read that as a child he was almost killed because someone blamed him for his misfortune. Referenced as "the plague". I don't even need to get in details with accelerator.
I_am_Kami is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 16:46   Link #8031
bizzi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Yah but it's just horny guys. No actual big deal. Touma and accelerator have been through more shit. I read that as a child he was almost killed because someone blamed him for his misfortune. Referenced as "the plague". I don't even need to get in details with accelerator.
Maybe yeah, but we're talking about fighting skills. Mikoto is far from being "a normal girl"...
bizzi is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 16:49   Link #8032
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Touma past:

Quote:
Children threw rocks at Touma, and even when adults saw they didn't reprimand the children and even encouraged this behaviour - as if asking why didn't the other children hurt Touma even more than that.

Another rumour was that just by being away from Touma you'll be free of misfortune. Many people stayed away from him due to that as well. Once a man in debt chased after Touma with a kitchen knife was slashed once. Then a TV channel found out about this and decided to make a supernatural programme about this, took Touma's photo without permission and described Touma like a monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzi View Post
Maybe yeah, but we're talking about fighting skills. Mikoto is far from being "a normal girl"...
Just like Accelerator? Just defeating the enemies with their power doesn't gives experience with figthing skills.
__________________
Love songs for the genuinely cunning.
Miraluka is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 16:50   Link #8033
Ashaman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzi View Post
Your are kidding me? She has always been doing so.
Yes, in the same way that Accelerator has been doing, except to a much lesser degree, in both time and brutality.

Mikoto is a normal girl who occasionally goes out and shocks a bunch of people when they piss her off.

Accelerator is a psycho who attacts attackers and then one hit kills them. Or worse, lets them break their arms trying to hurt him and then play with them afterwards.

Touma is the unlucky guy that somehow pisses off a bunch of delinquents and then fights them off.

Of the three, only one got any real fight experience out of it, and that's Touma.

Accel was very blatently called a weakingly who relied on his ability for everything, and so against people who could counter act it, got his ass kicked. It's only against the Hound Dogs and his time in GROUP that he develops skills.

Misaka relies on a simple shock attack for most back alley crawlers, and they're down.

Compared to 1,2,4,7 and IB, who go around fighting all the time, her experience doesn't compare.
__________________
Ashaman is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 16:57   Link #8034
bizzi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: France
Didn't Mikoto kill quite a lot of people?
bizzi is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 16:58   Link #8035
giorno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzi View Post
Just like Mikoto.



Your credibility is GONE. Here you go, take my rope.
uhm, LOL? No, Mikoto did NOT grow up fighting espers and level 0 in the back alleys, at best she fried some morons who tried to hit on her. She effectively grew up like a normal girl, by academy city standards. Touma grew up like a delinquent.

Only, delinquents in academy city tend to have powers and are generally more dangerous than your average delinquent, so Touma effectively had to learn how to fight and deal with them(which helped him fight magicians later on)

Quote:
Didn't Mikoto kill quite a lot of people?
Ok, what? just read the novels, seriously
giorno is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 17:10   Link #8036
bizzi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
Ok, what? just read the novels, seriously
Hey, that was just a question. I didn't read the first novels yet (and the volume I got that quote from has not been translated).

Btw, I know Touma has got more fighting skills than Mikoto, but that doesn't change the fact that she hasn't been growing like a "normal girl"...
bizzi is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 17:15   Link #8037
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzi View Post
Btw, I know Touma has got more fighting skills than Mikoto, but that doesn't change the fact that she hasn't been growing like a "normal girl"...
She has friends, money, position, fame, good parents, almost everything except Touma and thats her own fault.

She is normal on Academy City standarts.

She never saw people badly injured or killed and the first time she sees one, goes insane and mentally unstable and at the end goes suicide. There is no need to check the novels on that part, she just tasted a bit of darkness and that was the inmediate aftermath.
Maybe thats why Mugino went all batshit crazy saying Mikoto doesn't knows a bit from the darkness.
__________________
Love songs for the genuinely cunning.
Miraluka is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 17:21   Link #8038
giorno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
By academy city standards, as far as the point we're discussing is concerned, yes, she did. She never was involved in a real battle, never had to fight for her life, and never even saw such a battlefield.

Touma probably didn't either until he met Index, but again, the difference here is that Touma still got into enough brutal fights to develop excellent fighting skills of his own, AND Touma kept being "partnered" with actually experienced pros almost all the time, too

And no, i am NOT saying that Mikoto is weak or that she couldn't handle some of the stuff Touma went through, if she were in Touma's place(in fact, she's proven that she would fare just as well)

I'm saying she's very unlikely to be able to deal with people more powerful than her with superior tactics, and is still limited(in terms of appearances and role) by the fact that she is NOT part of the dark side. She was involved with it once, and you can see how that was turning out...
giorno is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 17:53   Link #8039
bizzi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: France
I'm OK with what you guys said, but isn't this
Quote:
She never saw people badly injured or killed and the first time she sees one, goes insane and mentally unstable and at the end goes suicide.
a bit... cliché? She wanted to save 10000 people.

She saw bad things about life and did many things no "normal" girl would've done. I've been watching ep 12 again, it's clear that she's conscious about dark things happening all around.
She's definitely not that "clean"
bizzi is offline  
Old 2011-02-21, 18:09   Link #8040
MonkeyDude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Don't feel like replying to the guy who won't listen to anyone so I'll just say something here. Please stop trying to include Mikoto in every instance in the story. Who cares if a convenient plot device was used to keep her out of a fight? Stop and consider that other characters may have been used, characters that are either new or in need of some development, and including Mikoto would have needlessly diluted the inclusion of said characters. She's probably the most developed out of all the supporting characters in the ToAruverse. Let the other supporting characters get their time in the spotlight rather than needlessly trying to include Mikoto in every single damn thing she's able to take part in.

There's liking a character and wanting that character to be shown more, but this is plain absurd. It's not like Mikoto is pulling a Himegami and more or less lost her purpose in the story, hell it's the opposite. Kamachi is finding ways to include her in the story - and her relation to the story is pretty much in pursuit of Touma... Like it or not, but that's pretty her role in the story and it's not much of a role really... Oh well maybe NT will change that?
MonkeyDude is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.