AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-07, 23:23   Link #941
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
And I had to take some screenshots, I think I almost died here.

same here...wht an epic episode!
Old 2011-02-08, 15:21   Link #942
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

15, the Right way to do a recap episode. Touches on enough so that the viewers remember what has happened so far, but also progresses the story. The recap itself isn't too boring either and hasimportant points about Graces plan. So really it's not just a recap.

Sheryl - the mirror scene is classic. Gotta look good. A very nice touch here.

Alto - This is where the playing field is a clear shot. The next couple of episodes lay down the frame work for relationships.

Ranka - Awwwwkwarrdddddd....

Curious thought: Is Ranka only popular on Frontier? At this point she's the "next big thing" on Frontier but what about elsewhere?
Old 2011-02-09, 11:28   Link #943
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Send a message via MSN to Ceci-chan Send a message via Skype™ to Ceci-chan
Looks like Japan will have a re-watch, also, in promotion of Sayonara no Tsubasa.

http://www.macrossf.com/news.html#news_83%E3%80%80
Old 2011-02-09, 12:27   Link #944
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

That's a great way to promote a series. I always wondered why they didn't do that more often in the US. If they had aired the first season of Lost the summer before the final one aired, I bet they would have sold more DVDs and had more viewers for the final season.
Old 2011-02-12, 13:40   Link #945
Darthtabby

And on to Episode 16...

Some thoughts:

Alto is being a bit overaggressive at the start of the episode. Also for once he appears to flying with someone who isn't part of the main cast. Speaking of which, does it ever bother anyone that the main characters all have fancy custom paint jobs while all other SMS fighters seem to be painted in the same tan colour scheme? You'd think other pilots would have custom colours too, particularly given that Alto hasn't been with the organisation that long.

I suspect Alto complaining about Brera being an outsider before picking a fight with him is in part window dressing. I suspect he'd be less prone to picking a fight if Brera hadn't tried to blow him out of the sky not long before.

Ranka needs to learn to stop going along with whatever people tell her to do so easily...

Brera knowing Ranka's song may be a bit hint about the fact that he's her brother, but when he claims the way he knows it is "top secret" it kind of makes him seem like a stalker don't you think?

Sheryl's mental state seems a bit precarious in that one scene where Alto finds her.

I wonder what would have happened if Michael hadn't interrupted that scene with Sheryl and Alto.

Ozma's VF-25 must have a darn good autopilot.

Does anyone else find it odd that in an organisation with a lot of single males among its pilots its the one married woman who has a scantily clad girl painted on her ride?

I'm guessing that despite the look, those weren't supposed to be reaction warheads that the SMS and NUNS fighters launched at the Vajra nest. They seemed pretty puny.

Sheryl maintains her composure pretty well, but you can tell she doesn't like what she just saw. Maybe because Grace didn't come to her first?

Apparently all the characters with high EQs managed to totally miss how troubled Ranka seems to be at the end of this episode.
Old 2011-02-12, 14:08   Link #946
moncikoma

I hope someday animax will air it, all 25 episodes incl movies!
Old 2011-02-15, 07:53   Link #947
Dop
We can't stop here...

Ah episode 16, and the dawn of what I think of as "Aimo: Fascist Remix".

I was amused by some of the bridge banter - calling Ranka the new Minmay only for Bobby to say that was too old a reference, and suggest she's the new Nekki Basara, only for the others to complain that that's an old reference too!

I did think security on the Quarter must be fairly lax for Sheryl to find her way onto the bridge, but it appeared that basically she snogged the guards unconscious.
Old 2011-02-15, 08:59   Link #948
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I was amused by some of the bridge banter - calling Ranka the new Minmay only for Bobby to say that was too old a reference, and suggest she's the new Nekki Basara, only for the others to complain that that's an old reference too!
Yeah... that is an insult to both Minmay and Basara! I did like how Bobby called him Basara-sama.

Quote:
I did think security on the Quarter must be fairly lax for Sheryl to find her way onto the bridge, but it appeared that basically she snogged the guards unconscious.
Those guards are weak. I would have at least made her balance it out.
Old 2011-02-19, 01:35   Link #949
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

I know I've had a four week break for this, but unfortunately, there's no accounting for the intervention of RL...so the initial write up will have quite a few things left out...

Episode 16 Commentary
with Nakamura Yuuichi, Endo Aya, Hoshi "Pappi" Souichirou and Yoshino Hiroyuki (composition). This lot really had fun with the commentary, talking about everything from Brera's clothes, the nose art on Kanaria's Monster to the fact that Frontier songs were sung at the wrap party for another, rather famous series...

About Bilrer
NY: There's a huge guy here.
HS: Yes there is. And there's a small guy too.
NY: Ah, that's me.
EA: Isn't he tiny!
[At first, Nakamura didn't really know who Bilrer was => Yoshino said that he didn't really think about it much, but "once you get to 25, there's this pendant. Let's just say he's "That person's fan".]

"'Triangular' again?"
?: Still?
EA: I kept hearing rumours that it'd change!
[In Yoshino's words, it's like they put him "on trial" because the opening hasn't changed - for a 2-cour series, the opening normally changes around episode 13/14 if at all, so the change at episode 18 is rather late.]

On Brera's clothes
NY: I always thought they were rather strange. I mean, that V-neck part
HS: You can see his belly button.
YH: Well, there's the possibility of body-painting.
EA: Ehhh?!
HS: No kidding? The blue part being body paint?
EA: Like really?
NY: A really weird person (afterall)
HS: That's kind of embarrassing.
EA: Completely (embarrassing) you mean.

(Classroom scene)
NY: Girls would admire him (好意), but guys would be jealous.
YH: Ah, he's been owned, he's been owned.
NY: Yeah, Alto's completely beaten here. It's as if it's a set thing, that he can never win against Brera.
HS: I think he became very popular around the school after this.
NY: That's probably true
HS: I mean, he looked so suspicious at the start, like a stalker.
NY: He is suspicious!
YH: There was talk about having him transfer in at one stage
(Huh? Really? Transfer in?)
YH: But in the end, (we thought it'd be) weird, so we had him as Ranka's bodyguard.

Brera's background
[Brera outrightly states that he's a cyborg in one of the episodes => Nakamura and Endo wonder about his background, and what he does when he's not on screen => "if we can do a spin-off, it'd be cool" "Something like "The Tale of Brera" or something (c.f. "The Tale of Genji")]
YH: But isn't he popular with girls because he doesn't say much?
?: Ah, because he really doesn't say much at all
YH: The male characters I write, if they speak too much, they're not really popular. I'm sorry, Alto.
HS: Even though Alto's actually such a great guy.
NY: (agreeing with Yoshino?) Yeah, he snaps unexpectedly quickly.
HS: His voice is cool too.
(laughter)
HS: and he lets his feelings out so easily. I like that kind of character.
NY: But girls like the quieter, more collected ones. The mysterious ones.
HS: Cool characters.

[They also talk about how Brera is outside of the triangle (HS: it's kind of lonely) and how he's so devoted to Ranka that he doesn't even acknowledge Sheryl, even though he should know about her, being from Galaxy.]

Alto runs into Sheryl again (Abridged)
NY: Why is Sheryl here?
NY: Alto finds her by chance, like 2/3 times (over the course of the show).
HS: He's very good at that, huh?
NY: Ah, Sheryl!
HS: But his timing is a bit off. Like, "come quicker!"
EA: Yes, that!
HY: It's as if (I) like daytime soaps, the "Ah, crap!" kind of timing.
HS: She was even taken away by his brother.
NY: Right right, by his brother.
YH: Save that for next time!
(laughter)
HS: Ah, that's right.

Alto and Sheryl in his SMS room
EA: Ah, poor thing.
NY: After punching, she kicks him.
[=> about Sheryl's hair colour, and how it changes due to SFX during her performances.]
(Then Alto sees the earring...)
EA (echoes): "Alto, no!"
NY: Not thinking it through, he comes too close.
HS: It's really close.
EA: (Be careful(?))
HS: And (Michel) drops by.
NY: to get in the way
EA: Just a little bit longer!
HS: Don't get in the way!
[=> Michel's hair - he probably sets it.]
(And then the video call from Cathy comes through, and Alto...)
HS: That's some treatment of Sheryl....
EA: But I really liked this scene.
NY: He's very 'raw', like "It'd be bad if she's seen".
[Video for communication => a sudden communication could lead to an awkward situation. Think of privacy/give them time to prepare etc]
YH: Can't be helped, they're in a military organisation and orders come from above.
NY: That's scary.
EA: You'd like them to be informed about this before they sign up!

From ~14mins onwards, when they start the Ranka Attack Operation
[Lots of words from previous series are referred to, which viewers might not know if they haven't seen them. Words such as "Protodeviln" and "Ranka Attack" from the "Minmay Attack"]

The er...rather 'ecchi' nose art on Kanaria's Monster
[Apparently, nose arts of fighter planes etc tend to be rather perverted/sexual - though the only example I could find is this one.]
NY: I mean, look! she's not wearing underwear.
HS: I was wondering what's up with that!
EA: You wonder if that's Ranka - so your heart skips a beat because of that.
HS: It's a bit...perverted.
EA: It's one thing if it's Sheryl... [And I can't quite believe Endou Aya said this!]
NY: Ozma-san is quite something, to have allowed that.
HS: Ozma would never allow that!
YH: If he saw it'd he'd be pissed.
(Ah, but he hasn't realised! It's right there! Notice it! Wait, look look, he's realised!)
YH: So that's why he's angry.
[Well...of course they're joking about this. ^^]

The VF-27
[The cockpit is like what Grace sees when she's analysing data, something that Brera sees.]
YH: I can't remember which episode, but you can see the actual cockpit somewhere, just for a moment.
[Also, the other two fighters behind Brera are also VF-27s, probably manned by unknown cyborgs. Yoshino didn't want to introduce more faces (NY: who might end up like Klan's subordinate, who didn't even speak before she died. YH: but she did, in the CD drama!). Brera's VF-27 is the only magenta one - a captain's colour]

The militarised version of Aimo
[was created so that people wouldn't really like it. So when Yoshino saw that the online reaction after the episode screened was predominantly one of "I hate this song", he felt that they'd achieved their aim.]

Northern Cross
[No new opening, but new ending, which everyone felt was a really cool song. In fact, at the wrap party for another series involving both Yoshino and Hoshi ("a something Geass" ...yeah, at the "Code whatever" party...), Hoshi invited the former to sing Northern Cross at karaoke! But they couldn't find it, so they sung Diamond Crevasse instead. And it turned out to be the last song of the night because their time ran out! LOL]

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-02-23 at 08:01.
Old 2011-02-19, 02:28   Link #950
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
The er...rather 'ecchi' Headmark on Kanaria's Monster
[Apparently, headmarks of fighter planes etc end to be rather perverted/sexual - though the only example I could find is this one.]
NY: I mean, look! she's not wearing underwear.
HS: I was wondering what's up with that!
EA: You wonder if that's Ranka - so your heart skips a beat because of that.
HS: It's a bit...perverted.
EA: It's one thing if it's Sheryl. [And I can't quite believe Endou Aya said this!]
NY: Ozma-san is quite something, to have allowed that.
HS: Ozma would never allow that!
YH: If he saw it'd he'd be pissed.
(Ah, but he hasn't realised! It's right there! Notice it! Wait, look look, he's realised!)
YH: So that's why he's angry.
[Well...of course they're joking about this. ^^]
It's generally referred to as nose art in English. It was very common on USAAF planes in World War II. And some of it was indeed rather racy. Google "WWII nose art" and you should get plenty.

As noted in my review of the episode, I find it odd that given how many single guys there are in SMS it's the one married woman who has racy nose art painted on her aircraft. :lol: Then again, she's the only one flying a big bomber (and while I'm pretty sure fighters had nose art at times, it does seem to be more associated with bombers).

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2011-02-19 at 02:39.
Old 2011-02-19, 02:52   Link #951
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Thanks.(...I wonder if I shouldn't have googled that...*my eyes my eyes!*)
I was wondering what they called that in English, because the online JDIC wasn't giving me anything. I did read your review before...but I know nothing of fighter planes or bombers and thus have absolutely nothing to add!

For anyone who wanted a listen, the audio file (.ogg) will be up soon. I'll see if I can replace it with the .aac file once I find it.

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-02-19, 05:57   Link #952
magnuskn

That was great! Thanks, Karice.

And if anybody is wondering why I haven't contributed last week, I am working on a home assignment from college which is rather hard to get through. Yeah, I suck. I think I need to skip this week, too, but I hope I can get something out over the next few days.
Old 2011-02-19, 13:50   Link #953
Dop
We can't stop here...

This week it's the Ozma Lee show!

What a guy. Fights off Brera IN THE DARK with only the flash from his pistol to guide him, blocks a vajra beam shot that was aimed at the Quarter's bridge, wins back Cathy, fights off a load of vajra with a knife while wounded, attends Ranka's concert, is still listening to Basara's song, and proves immune to the effects of pineapple - all in one episode!

Although how nobody noticed he was wounded earlier is a bit off...
Old 2011-02-19, 19:59   Link #954
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Siscon Dies - Not

Talk about a fake-out. The initial viewing must have been hilarious, for those who predicted his death way back when from the flags and his character base. I was not as experienced at the time, so had no clue. But boy was it funny.
Old 2011-02-20, 02:08   Link #955
Darthtabby

Yeah, this was an awesome episode. You have to be pretty badass to be able to defy that many death flags. :lol:

This episode did introduce one thing that really bugged me though, and that's the Vajra's ability to become immune to weaponry. I didn't really mind the "surviving reaction warheads by shedding their skins" thing so much. I didn't even really mind the fact that their new armour was tougher. What I did mind was the fact that it made the Vajra seemingly completely immune to almost every weapon except for Macross cannons and pinpoint barriers. Wouldn't it have been enough to simply make the reaction warheads ineffective and the regular weaponry much less effective than it had been? How the heck did the fleet manage to hold out for so long against the Vajra fleet in Episode 20 if almost none of their weaponry had any effect whatsoever?
Old 2011-02-20, 04:17   Link #956
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Yeah, this was an awesome episode. You have to be pretty badass to be able to defy that many death flags. :lol:

This episode did introduce one thing that really bugged me though, and that's the Vajra's ability to become immune to weaponry. I didn't really mind the "surviving reaction warheads by shedding their skins" thing so much. I didn't even really mind the fact that their new armour was tougher. What I did mind was the fact that it made the Vajra seemingly completely immune to almost every weapon except for Macross cannons and pinpoint barriers.
And combat knifes.

[QUOTE=Darthtabby;3495889]Wouldn't it have been enough to simply make the reaction warheads ineffective and the regular weaponry much less effective than it had been? How the heck did the fleet manage to hold out for so long against the Vajra fleet in Episode 20 if almost none of their weaponry had any effect whatsoever?

They developed some new stuff ( the MDE missiles ) and in-between apparently didn't have many engagements against them.
Old 2011-02-20, 12:28   Link #957
Darthtabby

Problem is there was that one really huge space battle that took place in Episodes 20 and 21 before the new weapons were fielded. That's the one that really bothers me. Especially since it seems at times like the writers forgot the human's weapons had become ineffective -see SMS VF-25s using missiles and gunpods instead of their combat knives, Canaria's monster blasting away with its defensive armament, etc.

I'm probably more bothered by it than most people because I'm writing a fanfic from the perspective of a couple of New UN Spacy pilots and that particular battle is simply too important to skip over. Which means that I'm going to need to work out how the fleet managed to keep the large group of Vajra that showed up from linking up with the larvae inside the colony ships. Or even managed to keep its own forces reasonably intact for that matter.
Old 2011-02-22, 07:25   Link #958
Father Hentai

Some weapons were in development and some were tested by S.M.S. . From this point LAI were just toolate to approve the field testing and then lateron the mass production to equip the NUNS.

In addition you cannot combine a 20 mm Vulcan of a VF-25 with a 120 mm Tank turret. It is the same as to compare Rankas Dumplings with Sheryls Buns. And as the VB-6 Koenig Monster is part of S.M.S. Canaria has access to weapons or ammos which are not standard for NUNS. You already have a gap here for a comparison.

What NUNS soldiers can do at the moment is to protect the fleet with weapons they have access to or even with their life (yes, that's what baka Ozma did).

My impression to this episode:
The most important note what Ozma gives here is that you have to try and consider more options rather than to set all hope into one person (Hint: Basara - Try again).
Old 2011-02-22, 12:18   Link #959
Darthtabby

SMS was testing new ammunition at the start of Episode 22 with great pains being made to keep the Vajra being targetted from being able to report any info about them. To me this suggests that SMS was not deploying the new ammunition back in episodes 20 and 21.

As for Canaria's Monster, when I said "defensive armament" I was referring to the dinky little nose guns, not the big main guns. That's a whole different kettle of fish, although if even reaction warheads have become ineffective I question whether the Monster's guns would still have a credible wide area effect.

Do you think this would be best moved to the technology topic? I worry that I'm dragging things off topic here.
Old 2011-02-22, 21:15   Link #960
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

You know, something bugged me.
On the 50% off Sheryl CD's it had Sheryl's name spelled as Sheryl Noam, not Nome.

But I usually see Sheryl Nome spelled as Nome, not Noam. Which one is right?

EDIT: oops. I think I'm one episode ahead
Closed Thread

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch