AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2011-03-06, 22:27   Link #29701
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The problem with Yuuno being the protagonist of a harem is that unlike most harem leads, he has to worry about a number of girls with the ability to vaporize cities and battleships with dirty looks all vying for his attention...
Makes it all the more interesting in the long run! And hey, it's not like it hasn't been done before. There's just something oddly funny about seeing super-powered/supernatural chicks fighting over the one normal/semi-normal guy.

EDIT: Pageclaim for Yuuno harems!
Old 2011-03-06, 22:32   Link #29702
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Oh I didn't mean to say that the idea itself is a problem, thematically speaking!

Just Yuuno's problem. Good thing he's so good with defensive magic. :k
Old 2011-03-06, 22:33   Link #29703
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
I am always in favor of calling characters by their actual names. It's not the same thing, of course (since there was an entire game without them getting normal names, giving rise to much ficcage in the interim) but imagine a post-A's fic where Fate kept calling herself "Fate Testarossa" instead of adding the "Harlaown" just because the author thought "Testarossa" was a cooler name.
Well, in my case I never liked using Rai for Material-L, but went with it since it was consistent with Yami and Seikou. But now that a better, official name was out, I was considering going back and swapping Levi in. But I'm aware that would wreck the name consisteny and that I should use Stern and whatever Material-D's name is instead, but I don't like those

@Aaron008R: Glad you like it

Though something about that fic I wonder about... Was spoiling the pairing in the description a bad move? Would it have been better if there was no indication of where the fic was going?

I started it back in the days when I was alone on FF.net and backlash from that incident was still pretty strong. I thought that if I didn't mark it NanoFate, as well as mark it Hayate/Yuuno to assure people that Yuuno wouldn't get in the way of the NanoFate, no one would read it.
Old 2011-03-06, 22:41   Link #29704
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Oh I didn't mean to say that the idea itself is a problem, thematically speaking!

I now have an image of Yuuno desperately running around the city as the girls fight over him, casting shields and other things to try and protect the building and the people as best he can while up above in the air, there's a cat fight.
Old 2011-03-06, 22:58   Link #29705
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... it needs to be written now.
Old 2011-03-06, 23:00   Link #29706
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
I think I got an Epilogue in mind, but anyway...

Gah, I miss Firefox.

Shine 1-50

Shine Part 51

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Shine End:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 23:04   Link #29707
Aaron008R

Quote:
Never thought you implied that, either. But anyway...

Quote:
Defense, teleportation, healing, binds and a whole smattering of support abilities that CAN be used offensively. In the hands of someone who can use characters well, harem lead!Yuuno could easily match the Aces/Materials in due time after a few upgrades as a tricky fighter. Let's just hope nobody in the harem is stupid enough to pull the defeat-means-youcandowhateveryouwantwithme card...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Well, in my case I never liked using Rai for Material-L, but went with it since it was consistent with Yami and Seikou. But now that a better, official name was out, I was considering going back and swapping Levi in. But I'm aware that would wreck the name consisteny and that I should use Stern and whatever Material-D's name is instead, but I don't like those
Hmm. Changing the name shouldn't be much of an issue. But I guess that it could affect some of the people who have become intimately familiar with the Material Days fic. If it was me, I wouldn't mind. There are much, much worse retcons compared to just changing a name. Besides. I like Yami and Seikou better but prefer Levi for M-L as well. :3

Quote:

Quote:
Though something about that fic I wonder about... Was spoiling the pairing in the description a bad move?
No.

Consider it as a legitimate form of advertisement. There are people who read fics for the author, those who read for the pairing or those who read for the genre. And of course, a mixmatch of those above plus some more. Whenever I read fics in fanfiction.net, one of my criteria of reading a fic I know nothing about is the short summary/description. Trust me, my interest meter wouldn't have been as high if the description was Babysitter!Yuuno rather than the current Babysitter!Yuuno + HayatexYuuno development along the way.

In short, the point of the description on fics is to draw in readers by catching their interest. If you don't want to spoil an element of the fic, fine. But be sure to advertise well. A good fic is wasted if no effort is put to it getting attention from readers. =3

Quote:
Would it have been better if there was no indication of where the fic was going?
Some people like surprises like that. But everybody have their own tastes. If some people feel like the sauce is spoiled by revealing the ingredients too early, then too bad for them. If you ask me, it's fine as it is. But I'm sure you'll find a number of people berating you for spoiling that part early. It's different strokes for different folks so don't be too caught up on possible negative comments and such.

(Of course, things are different once you get NOTHING bu negative comments. That's some difficult situation you'd have to dig out of; which, apparently, is not the situation you're in right now so relax. :3)

Quote:
I started it back in the days when I was alone on FF.net and backlash from that incident was still pretty strong. I thought that if I didn't mark it NanoFate, as well as mark it Hayate/Yuuno to assure people that Yuuno wouldn't get in the way of the NanoFate, no one would read it.
Ahh... A fanfic-writer's Freudian excuse-*SHOT WITH A MACHINEGUN*

No. I apologize for that. I know it might come across as rude to some but it was the first thing that popped into my mind. I've been reading too much tvtropes for the past few days, sorry.

In any case, I do get where you're coming from. I was lucky to have started writing here (well, in the OC community ) where everyone wasn't as stringent about NxF compared to other web communities. And I wasn't even writing about any pairings so it was safe. I'd have done similarly if I was starting out in fanfiction.net But again, I know it's a bit late to say this but you should relax when you're here. We don't bite.

*phew*

It's been a while since I commented. I guess I'm a little too wordy for my own good. X3

EDIT: GAH!!! Damn you, Nanya! Ninja-ing an update just when I finished my post!

*goes to read*

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 23:14   Link #29708
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Defense, teleportation, healing, binds and a whole smattering of support abilities that CAN be used offensively. In the hands of someone who can use characters well, harem lead!Yuuno could easily match the Aces/Materials in due time after a few upgrades as a tricky fighter. Let's just hope nobody in the harem is stupid enough to pull the defeat-means-youcandowhateveryouwantwithme card...
... I can easily picture Hayate pulling that kind of stunt, especially with her "canon" capabilities in battle.
Old 2011-03-06, 23:21   Link #29709
Aaron008R

Quote:
... I can easily picture Hayate pulling that kind of stunt, especially with her "canon" capabilities in battle.
Ack! You just had to point that out.
Don't make me imagine it-

!!!

NO!!! Bad mind! BAD!!

*bangs head against wall*

*goes off to buy some groceries and to cool down his head*

OC Profiles
Old 2011-03-06, 23:24   Link #29710
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Yuuno: Argh stop following me! *Puts up a shield*
Hayate: *Flies straight into shield* Oh dear! I seem to have flown too fast and am now far too injured to do anything to stop any unwanted advances.
Yuuno: ! Hayate! I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you! Let me get Shamal right awa-
Hayate: Oh there's no need for that~ you know a few healing spells don't you?
Yuuno: But if your injuries are so bad you can stop any mismannered men I definitely can't help you!
Hayate: ... *sigh*
Vice: Seriously! Why does he get the chicks!!!!

Also
Vice: Hayate! What's with you, I thought you were in charge of your own personal lesbian army!
Hayate: I am~ and I want Yuuno to be part of it. I mean look at him~ he's practically a girl already~ just a few snips here and there~
Yuuno: Please just leave me alone ;-;

Honestly any girl trying to pull that sort of stunt with yuuno would run into this
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 23:56   Link #29711
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
I think his reactions to when the girls' would bring him into the bath with them tells us all we need to know about how he'd act in typical harem situations
Old 2011-03-07, 00:18   Link #29712
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Little snippet from a short fic I'm planning to write sometime in the future, explaining Miranda and Lutecia's partnership. Kind of rough around the edges, but it was an image that wouldn't leave me alone, so I decided to write it out just to see how it felt. Thoughts?

Spoiler for Death God:
Old 2011-03-07, 00:25   Link #29713
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

D:

Beamers wrote something!

*checks to see if the end is nigh*
Old 2011-03-07, 00:36   Link #29714
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:

Though something about that fic I wonder about... Was spoiling the pairing in the description a bad move? Would it have been better if there was no indication of where the fic was going?

Wait, an official name? The original staff had made another name or is it just your idea? IMO, I prefer Seikou, Yami and Rai, as it's easier to remember than the other names, which I can easily confuse for OC names.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 00:49   Link #29715
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
yeah they have hebrew names i believe Levi, Stern and uh Dierche

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 00:51   Link #29716
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
yeah they have hebrew names i believe Levi, Stern and uh Dierche
Yea, just browsed it. I don't like those names at ALL>

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 04:27   Link #29717
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Stern's the only one that's still sort of meh, mostly because it's more of a guys name, but I'm getting used to it. Considering it means star in German I can see what they were trying to go for (try pronouncing it in German in your head, it suddenly sounds a lot better).

No problems with the others. Levi is the name of a rather well known psycopath, so that certainly fits. Dearche is a cool name, now that I've gotten used to it.
Old 2011-03-07, 06:37   Link #29718
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Yuuno: Argh stop following me! *Puts up a shield*
Hayate: *Flies straight into shield* Oh dear! I seem to have flown too fast and am now far too injured to do anything to stop any unwanted advances.
Yuuno: ! Hayate! I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you! Let me get Shamal right awa-
Hayate: Oh there's no need for that~ you know a few healing spells don't you?
Yuuno: But if your injuries are so bad you can stop any mismannered men I definitely can't help you!
Hayate: ... *sigh*
Vice: Seriously! Why does he get the chicks!!!!
Ugh.

Hayate, dear. Lampshading your (fake) situation in such a manner doesn't work most of the time if it's done like that...

Though why Yuuno believed it in the first place... Hell if I know. *facepalm*

*currently trying to imagine Material-S of all people trying it*

I'd better stop.

Quote:
Honestly any girl trying to pull that sort of stunt with yuuno would run into this
Ouch. That's pretty harsh.

Quote:
I think his reactions to when the girls' would bring him into the bath with them tells us all we need to know about how he'd act in typical harem situations
Well... He was a kid by then. I wouldn't think he'd be as virtuous when he's older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Stern's the only one that's still sort of meh, mostly because it's more of a guys name, but I'm getting used to it. Considering it means star in German I can see what they were trying to go for (try pronouncing it in German in your head, it suddenly sounds a lot better).

No problems with the others. Levi is the name of a rather well known psycopath, so that certainly fits. Dearche is a cool name, now that I've gotten used to it.
You say imagine it. Stern does sound pretty good. But I also tried thinking of them in Japanese syllabicated dialect...

Stern = Shu-te-ru (omitting the 'n' at the end?)
Levi = Re-vi (Nothing too jarring)
Dearche = De-a-ru-chu (Hoo, boy)

Then again, I can't read Hiragana/Katakana just yet. So I don't know how they are actually pronounced as per magazine scans/websites.

OC Profiles
Old 2011-03-07, 09:11   Link #29719
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
I think I got an Epilogue in mind, but anyway...

Gah, I miss Firefox.

Shine 1-50

Shine Part 51

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Shine End:
well, Jail.... you're not wrong with that assumption... in fact, you got one of them hitchhiking in one of your "daughters"...

We Want StrikerS arc now... *got hit with a chaos star breaker*

@_@

Pretty stars... *Thud!!!*
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

And I can't still make fanfic without restarting from the start when new ideas comes in...
mega1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 11:43   Link #29720
yuiseppe
Cute things, sharp teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Little snippet from a short fic I'm planning to write sometime in the future, explaining Miranda and Lutecia's partnership. Kind of rough around the edges, but it was an image that wouldn't leave me alone, so I decided to write it out just to see how it felt. Thoughts?

Spoiler for Death God:
I *like* this old man I keep seeing Wolverine claws though - is that what you intended? Anything smaller seemed to belittle Thanatos' name.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha