AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-10-24, 10:28   Link #1
Alterscape

[Azumanga Daioh] Soramimi Ka-ki?

My college anime club is watching Azumanga Daioh this year, and I was sitting there watching the intro for the umpteenth time, and I was struck by just how gibberish-y the intro's lyrics are. I asked my friend "Heh, do you know if there's actually any significance to any of these phrases, or if it's just random gibberish that's supposed to sound cool?" She didn't know, neither do I, so now I'm asking here.

"Soramimi ka-ki" .. "fancy hearing cake" is how it's translated in the sub... does it mean anything? Are any of the other verses meaningful (something that would make sense only to somebody with specific knowledge of some Japanese cultural thing, perhaps?) or is it just silliness to fit the whimsical nature of the series? I can see "fancy hearing cake" as a commentary on the song itself ("delicious cake for your ears" or something in that vein) but I dunno .. doesn't really matter, but I'm curious. Please don't flame me. >.>
Alterscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 13:27   Link #2
hooliganj
Team Player

Soramimi means misheard or misunderstood. The song is all about phrases that one might hear wrong, and what they might have really meant to say, which results in a long string of homophonic puns that are impossible to translate.

BTW, it would be ke-ki, not ka-ki.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 13:34   Link #3
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!

Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
Yep, soramimi literally means "ears playing ticks" but it means "misheard".
Old 2004-10-28, 00:48   Link #4
Alterscape

In my Japanese class, sensei uses the katakana for "ka-ki" but I can see it going either way.

Thanks for the clarification. Would be interesting to figure out the homophones in more detail, but I'm profoundly lazy, sooo...
Alterscape is offline   Reply With Quote